Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    While I do think his use of DP spot isn't great, I could see Yefe playing to Jozy's stregths and vice versa. I recall the interplay between Jozy and Gio being great; 1-2s here, flick-ons there. I can only hope that kind of play makes a return, for everyone's sake.
    Yefe is going to be playing much more like Piatti as opposed to Giovinco. Seba literally never got near the touchline for any reason. Yefe's heat maps are pretty much straight up and down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Yefe is going to be playing much more like Piatti as opposed to Giovinco. Seba literally never got near the touchline for any reason. Yefe's heat maps are pretty much straight up and down.
    I saw that heat map, but if you watch his videos and read about him, he clearly cuts in all the time. I think he's good moving inside and playing outside. According to Tim Vickery, who covers SA soccer regularly, his right foot is his stronger foot, and he plays on the left specifically to cut inside.

So I don't think we'll be seeing him hug the touchline.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I saw that heat map, but if you watch his videos and read about him, he clearly cuts in all the time. I think he's good moving inside and playing outside. According to Tim Vickery, who covers SA soccer regularly, his right foot is his stronger foot, and he plays on the left specifically to cut inside.

So I don't think we'll be seeing him hug the touchline.
    I generally agree. I’m just trying to say that he’s much more of a winger. Watching Shaffelburg play it looks pretty clear how he’ll slot in and I’m not sure how much close combination with the striker that’ll involve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I generally agree. I’m just trying to say that he’s much more of a winger. Watching Shaffelburg play it looks pretty clear how he’ll slot in and I’m not sure how much close combination with the striker that’ll involve.
    He's apparently very adept at opening up space for other attackers in the box, so hopefully even if he's operating more with the fullback and midfielder or in isolation, whoever's up top will benefit from him dragging defenders out of position. That was a big part of his upside, apparently, creating havoc in the box.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think the thing we are missing is his runs off the ball, as well. IMHO, it is the link up with Poz or Poz-Striker-Yef that has me excited and will be key. If you go back and look at Poz in Belgium, his distribution was crazy. In Solteldo’s highlight reels, his ability to run the channels and timing to receive passes and then dribbling in tight space was crazy. My only concern that i saw was he made a fair amount of errant passes.

But having a third dangerous attacker, especially with someone speed opens everything up in MLS.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to more offensive production for sure but really hoping things get sorted defensively because we don't want to be the team that has to score 4 every game because we are letting in 3.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am no expert in the Brazilian league, but I know that Brazilian football does not have the same fixation on positions/formations etc that Western Europe or even Argentina do.

I once saw an interview with Marcelo where the asked him how he thought about what position he played. His answer: “I play the football position”.

I think this guy Yefe has some of the ginga style.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I am no expert in the Brazilian league, but I know that Brazilian football does not have the same fixation on positions/formations etc that Western Europe or even Argentina do.

I once saw an interview with Marcelo where the asked him how he thought about what position he played. His answer: “I play the football position”.

I think this guy Yefe has some of the ginga style.
    That's also very Cruyff, total football and all that. Play where needed, move where needed.

Tougher to do two-ways these days due to wiser defensive tactics. You need a lot of ball control to minimize the time the other guy has on it. Bayern's high press features guys flopping positions all over the place as needed, so maybe it's the modern version. They then settle into more traditional zones and lanes when on the backfoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    KJ also mentioned, almost in passing, a few minutes before that a great nugget of info about all this

Cruz Azul was VERY close to signing Jozy this offseason.
    I wonder if he failed a physical???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    i think the thing we are missing is his runs off the ball, as well. IMHO, it is the link up with Poz or Poz-Striker-Yef that has me excited and will be key. If you go back and look at Poz in Belgium, his distribution was crazy. In Solteldo’s highlight reels, his ability to run the channels and timing to receive passes and then dribbling in tight space was crazy. My only concern that i saw was he made a fair amount of errant passes.

But having a third dangerous attacker, especially with someone speed opens everything up in MLS.
    This sounds right to me. Also, re defensive woes - Vanneys control strategy protected our defense because we had the ball. It hid our weakness. A pressing system is high risk in this regard because it exposes our weakness. I would be extremely worried and likely irate about the Armas hire, except a) Bradley trusts him and Bradley clearly has a superb soccer brain and b) his system worked in the first two CCL games with a makeshift lineup.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-01-2021 at 10:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    This sounds right to me. Also, re defensive woes - Vanneys control strategy protected our defense because we had the ball. It hiss our weakness. A pressing system is high risk in this regard because it exposes our weakness. I would be extremely worried and likely irate about the Aramas hire, except a) Bradley trusts him and Bradley clearly has a superb soccer brain and b) his system worked in the first two CCL games with a makeshift lineup.
    It’s early, but I see some positives.

As far as that first CCL series goes, Vanney never would have won. First, he wouldn’t have trusted the kids enough to play and the likes of Okello, Shaffleburg, and (maybe) Priso would have been replaced with Endoh, DeLeon, and similar. Second, and perhaps more importantly, he would have stuck to his low block defending / possession based system which would have played right into Leon’s gameplan.

I do wonder, as time goes on, whether Armas will be able to adjust and be pragmatic about tactics. There’s nothing special about the press (or any other formation for that matter). Getting the most out of the players you have available should always be the goal and football can’t be one dimensional.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I hope so, that would make us very difficult to play against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It’s early, but I see some positives.

As far as that first CCL series goes, Vanney never would have won. First, he wouldn’t have trusted the kids enough to play and the likes of Okello, Shaffleburg, and (maybe) Priso would have been replaced with Endoh, DeLeon, and similar. Second, and perhaps more importantly, he would have stuck to his low block defending / possession based system which would have played right into Leon’s gameplan.

I do wonder, as time goes on, whether Armas will be able to adjust and be pragmatic about tactics. There’s nothing special about the press (or any other formation for that matter). Getting the most out of the players you have available should always be the goal and football can’t be one dimensional.
    Well said

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what’s the latest? Is he with the team ? Might he even play Tuesday night?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis is gonna introduce Soteldo on TFC's YouTube page to anyone who is bored at 2pm today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Press conference just ended. Randomly came across it on youtube and caught the final 10 minutes or so. He's out of quarantine, got his jersey and met some of his teammates today.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Armas was on after Soteldo and said he will be able to play a role in this weekend's match

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, he is 100% playing Saturday. 99.9% chance it is as a sub. Most managers are lame and hate starting new signings in their first games.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone happen to hear a Soteldo chant at about the 78th minute? Was just before Omar made the tackle and got the yellow card

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy is he a little guy. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in tight space.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Imagine if we had Pozuelo, Yeferson and Piatti together. Big mistake in letting him go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeferson needs people to play off with. There was one time in the game Saturday were he made the run down the wing and took of 2 defenders and no one offered any support at all. I think it was Morrow looked as if he was going to pull up a chair and enjoy the show. Now once Pozuelo re-enters the picture I cannot wait to see their link up play together

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Yeferson needs people to play off with. There was one time in the game Saturday were he made the run down the wing and took of 2 defenders and no one offered any support at all. I think it was Morrow looked as if he was going to pull up a chair and enjoy the show. Now once Pozuelo re-enters the picture I cannot wait to see their link up play together
    There was a time when Morrow looked like the pinnacle of fullback attacking play in MLS but those days are long gone.

He cannot combine with anyone effectively. It drives the other players on the team nuts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post

This dude has incredibly strong and muscular legs for his size.
    All in all he's looking like a pack of muscles, his whole physique is very much like El Pibe D'Oro had, at about the same age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    This dude has incredibly strong and muscular legs for his size.
    All in all he's looking like a pack of muscles, his whole physique is very much like El Pibe D'Oro had, at about the same age.
    Definetly got that Maradona stocky build.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venezuela released there preliminary roster for the Copa America and no surprise that Soteldo is on that list. If chosen, and I cannot see why he wouldn't be, it looks like he will miss 5 games

Home vs Orlando (June 19), Away vs Nashville (June 23), Home vs Cincinnati (June 26), Away vs D.C. (July 3) and Away vs New England (July 7)

I think we will be fine without him for the DC and Cincinnati matches and I do not want him anywhere near the plastic clusterfuck of a pitch in New England. Overall I think we lucked out but I would rather him in the lineup every game

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to see what it took to get Yeferson to the Reds and their commitment to the process even when its got complicated by Santos transfer ban.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blindside16 View Post
    Venezuela released there preliminary roster for the Copa America and no surprise that Soteldo is on that list. If chosen, and I cannot see why he wouldn't be, it looks like he will miss 5 games

Home vs Orlando (June 19), Away vs Nashville (June 23), Home vs Cincinnati (June 26), Away vs D.C. (July 3) and Away vs New England (July 7)

I think we will be fine without him for the DC and Cincinnati matches and I do not want him anywhere near the plastic clusterfuck of a pitch in New England. Overall I think we lucked out but I would rather him in the lineup every game
    doubt venezuala go far in the comp so could be back for july 3rd game if they go out in the group stage.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Interesting to see what it took to get Yeferson to the Reds and their commitment to the process even when its got complicated by Santos transfer ban.

That’s a really great piece, professionally done and scripted. It is interesting to see the process, i loved the “we started at 10:30am and didn’t finish until 2:30am”. Welcome to doing your job… corporate deals take time and that’s what you get paid for.

But realize the reason why they put this out is that they were feeling the heat from fans who thought they were doing nothing and had no visibility... so well done all around supporters putting heat on and the FO for getting it done. A bit of self-promotion and transparency goes a long way.

All for One

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, its was neat

"This came together quickly" = there was another target first but this guy dropped in our laps when his agent contacted us

I have vague memories of the same sort of thing happening with Poz - just can't remember who we were supposedly in for before him