Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Match Day CCL Rnd of 8 Leg 1 - Cruz Azul "@" TFC - Tue April 27 10:00pm - Forget Your

Name, Forget Your Fear

NOTE THE START TIME

Have at It People

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks.

Big decisions for Armas here. Are Pozo and Mavinga ready? Does Oso get the start? What does he do with Okello and Priso? Altidore or Ayo or both?

Anybody got a good Cruz Azul scouting report? (Other than the obvious, which is that they are white hot in the league?)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With it being at Raymond James in Tampa does it mean they are selling tickets to it? I would not think they would make the move from Disney World if they were not.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will Pozo be back for this one?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Altidore

Schaff Pozuelo

Osorio Bradley Delgado

Auro Mavinga Gonzalez Laryea

Westberg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really, really need Mavinga back.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cruz Azul: The reason why Orbelín Pineda and Jesús Corona will not play against San Luis

The Cruz Azul Machine visits the Atlético San Luis squad in the match on matchday 16 of the Clausura 2021 of the MX League on the Alfonso Lastras court, where those led by Juan Reynoso will not be able to count on Jesus Crown Y Orbelín Pineda for this encounter.

According to information revealed by Carlos Córdova, both players will not play this match with Cruz Azul against Atlético San Luis, for various reasons, but above all to rotate the squad, rest the starting players and have them arrive well at the Concachampions match against him. Toronto FC.

As detailed in the information, in the case of Jesús Corona Juan Reynoso has decided to give him rest, while with Orbelín Pineda it is for a case of oral care, so
    he will not even go to the bench with La Maquina.

There are no injured in #CruzAzul . The Chuy thing is rotation and the Orbelin thing is due to an oral care situation .
    Rotation for the duel vs Toronto . @TheChampions https://t.co/49swihzNFI. – (@cordova_sports) April 24, 2021

“There are no injuries in #CruzAzul. Chuy’s thing is rotation and Orbelin’s because of an oral care situation. Rotation for the duel vs Toronto. @TheChampions. ”, Cordova revealed.

Jesús Corona has played 14 games in the current Clausura 2021 of the MX League with Cruz Azul, where he has only received eight goals and has been able to leave a clean sheet in eight games. For his part, Orbelín Pineda has played 15 games where he has scored a goal and has given two assists.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cruz is playing live right now on OneSoccer

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I think this is a bridge too far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fingers crossed for a classic Cruzazuleada
    https://www.archyde.com/cruzazuleada...y-of-language/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see which team shows up for this game—the team that played so well against Leon or the team that stunk up the park against Montreal and Vancouver. Even though the lineups were much the same, the performances were light years apart. I am hoping for the former, not the latter, but I am not overly optimistic at this point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was good to see the injured starters get some playing time. Bad news, Cruz clinched Clausura tonight (Club America lost), which means their game next weekend against Tijuana doesn't mean anything. You never know though, need to pick up the intensity. I wish the General didn't play a full 90. At least it will be cooler at Game time, 10pm on Tuesday. (WTF - 10pm - lol)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    It was good to see the injured starters get some playing time. Bad news, Cruz clinched Clausura tonight (Club America lost), which means their game next weekend against Tijuana doesn't mean anything. You never know though, need to pick up the intensity. I wish the General didn't play a full 90. At least it will be cooler at Game time, 10pm on Tuesday. (WTF - 10pm - lol)
    There are two game slots that night, 8 pm and 10 pm eastern. They were never going to have Philadelphia at Atlanta playing at 10 pm as they have ticket to sell. Also Mexico City is an hour behind so its not bad for their tv.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not very optimistic about this game, and tie for that matter. Even is Pozuelo and Mavinga are healthy enough to play there is no way they are up to game speed. All I am asking for is for them to fight for the full 90

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been trying to read up on Cruz Azul. Not finding much in English, and Google translate is a fail for Spanish language soccer analysis. We are not going to get anything from the media (although hopefully Molinaro will come through with some insight...)

I don't think we can high press this team. They strike a lot the counter. Recent example:

You can't sit back either

Last edited by ensco; 04-26-2021 at 10:21 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have to try to contain the striker, Jonathan Rodriguez. Number 21. Leads Liga MX in scoring.

He is no Joel Campbell. He is in his prime, 27 years old, features regularly for Uruguay and is one of the best strikers we will have ever seen. Maybe the single best, really. Guys like Pulido and Gignac weren’t quite at this level in 2018, and in MLS play? The only guys I would put at this level are Zlatan and Vela (neither of whom were in their prime).

Jonathan needs to make a statement to the Uruguayan FA about the fact that he comes up big in these types of competitions. Suarez and Cavani are getting old, Rodriguez has a chance to be a starter, or a major contributor, in Qatar. He is the only first team player who started in the league game Saturday (Cruz Azul mostly sat key guys, unlike us) which tells you something about his mentality...

A lot of his goals are highlight reel stuff, he is no poacher who just mostly cleans up scraps in the box. Here is is scoring in the 89th minute to given Cruz Azul their record 11th win in a row, earlier in April.

https://www.elobservador.com.uy/nota...ul-20214310306

Holding him to a single goal across the two game tie would be huge success.

Best I can tell, the other skill player to be most wary of is Roberto Alvarado, "El Piojoto". Seems to slide between wing (on the right) and CAM. Only 22 years old but already has 20 caps for Mexico. Apparently very slick. Widely believed to be on his way to Europe.

https://www.football24.news/breaking...lue-cross.html

We faced the other winger, Pineda, in the CCL final in 2018, and he scored the first goal in Guadalajara, but I actually don't remember him being too much of a factor in those games away from that. (It is Pizarro and Pulido that I remember causing problems. Pizarro had the pass to Pineda.)

The midfielder, Rafael Baca played for Frank Yallop in San Jose 2011-13. He was Sam Cronin's partner....

They used to have Canadian MNT MF Stephen Eustaquio, who got a lot of profile when he transferred into Cruz Azul in 2019, but Eustaquio got hurt and never really got in. He was loaned out last year and then finally transferred to a team in Portugal a couple of months ago.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-26-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching the Cruz Azul-San Luis match, I noticed Azteca was empty. Yet when Leon hosted Toronto, they had over 9,000 in the seats. Different stadium, same city. I wonder what the difference is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    Watching the Cruz Azul-San Luis match, I noticed Azteca was empty. Yet when Leon hosted Toronto, they had over 9,000 in the seats. Different stadium, same city. I wonder what the difference is.
    Leon is a completely different city to Mexico City, in the state of Guanajuato.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Leon is a completely different city to Mexico City, in the state of Guanajuato.
    Ahh, ok. For some reason I thought it was a suburb of Mexico City. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luanda View Post
    Altidore

Schaff Pozuelo

Osorio Bradley Delgado

Auro Mavinga Gonzalez Laryea

Westberg
    Pretty clear that’s our best line up. But it doesn’t scream out “high press” to me. Edit: I’d leave Bono in. He’s earned it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozuelo is out tomorrow according to Twitter as he wasn't listed on the roster for tomorrow's game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bono
    Auro-omar-mavinga-morrow
    Delgado-osorio-bradley-shaff
    -----mullinho-jozy-----

That's who I think starts tomorrow night. I'd prefer Ayo but I think mullinho will be needed to press for 60 mins. Hopefully this is the last game without pozuelo and yeffy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the Leon games Bradley was pressing higher up and being more offensive as per the new direction Armas had for him. Couldn't help but notice in the MLS games he was dropping back all the time and collecting the balls from the defensive line to try to start the attack a la Vanney formation last year. Was that just me that noticed that? I think he needs to be playing higher up like with Leon games and leave someone like Delgado with more speed to help CB's clean up against Cruz. Maybe it was a kneejerk reaction for him to put himself in that position for the MLS games since we didn't play that strong and maybe it wasn't Armas plan for him to be back there. Will be interesting to see what happens.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess no Laryea due to yellow card accumulation. That's going to suck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    I guess no Laryea due to yellow card accumulation. That's going to suck
    Ugh. At least we can hope for Osorio, Mavinga, Altidore and Morrow (with Auro playing RB)? Not many good for 90 minutes there, though...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is the last of players out for tomorrow.

• Richie Laryea (suspension)
    • Alejandro Pozuelo (right thigh)
    • Liam Fraser (left ankle)
    • Erickson Gallardo (right groin)
    • Achara (ACL/LCL)
    • Julian Dunn (hip)
    • Jordan Perruzza (undisclosed)

Also Delgado, Priso and Bradley have one yellow card each so they will have to be careful not to pick up another or they will be suspended for the second leg.
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 04-26-2021 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need Mavinga to be in top form on Rodriguez. Mavinga's defending was a huge part of the 2018 run.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Bono
    Auro-omar-mavinga-morrow
    Delgado-osorio-bradley-shaff
    -----mullinho-jozy-----

That's who I think starts tomorrow night. I'd prefer Ayo but I think mullinho will be needed to press for 60 mins. Hopefully this is the last game without pozuelo and yeffy.
    Mullinho rarely presses, he jogs. Little time for pressing between the buckets of goals and assists he provides.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    For the Leon games Bradley was pressing higher up and being more offensive as per the new direction Armas had for him. Couldn't help but notice in the MLS games he was dropping back all the time and collecting the balls from the defensive line to try to start the attack a la Vanney formation last year. Was that just me that noticed that? I think he needs to be playing higher up like with Leon games and leave someone like Delgado with more speed to help CB's clean up against Cruz. Maybe it was a kneejerk reaction for him to put himself in that position for the MLS games since we didn't play that strong and maybe it wasn't Armas plan for him to be back there. Will be interesting to see what happens.
    Unless I missed that, I am pretty sure that was Priso's role in the Leon games. To be more of the holding midfielder, which let Bradley roam; we are going to need to watch the fast counter, they tried it regularly against CA, two weeks ago.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Unless I missed that, I am pretty sure that was Priso's role in the Leon games. To be more of the holding midfielder, which let Bradley roam; we are going to need to watch the fast counter, they tried it regularly against CA, two weeks ago.
    You are right. Priso was picking up that role in those games but not sure of his status for tomorrow since he was out on the weekend.