Page 8 of 75 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo + Pozo will be the best duo in the league!

LET'S GOOOOOO!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The speed with which this came together is a welcome change after the Pozuelo transfersoap.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    The speed with which this came together is a welcome change after the Pozuelo transfersoap.
    I agree. This is the way it should be.

Congratulations to Manning and Curtis.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

His nickname is
    pipoqueiro

The popcorn seller
    I love this.

We need a nickname for when he and Okello are in midfield together. Laurel and Hardy?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On Twitter seeing Santos fans being sad to see him go and Boca fans delighted that he won't play against them in the Copa Libertadores is such a great sign.

Can't wait to see Soteldo and Okello play together hah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maybe Borre in july if we move Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a doubter of Curtis and Manning, but using the pandemic financial uncertainty to get a player this age and of this apparent skill level is very well done. Jozy is going to be scoring for fun this season.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 04-25-2021 at 12:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unlike Borre, he seems to want to come. And seems a person of decent character at a young age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Unlike Borre, he seems to want to come. And seems a person of decent character at a young age.
    He does indeed. He said on an interview in Brazil that he's really happy if this transfer gets done because it's an excellent opportunity for him and for his family, since they'll be living in a great city and earning a good money.

He seems really modest, I'm sure he'll give 100% for this club.

Borre wants to go to Europe. Maybe if he doesn't get any european offer he'll rethink everything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If all the Borre rumours were true and we were interested (and it sounds like we were) the fact Borre would cost an estimated 15 million dollar fee and Soteldo will cost just 6.5 million means to me their should be more funds to add another top level player if we can open up another DP spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Except for not wanting to piss off pozuelo, who believes in his heart of hearts that he is a 10. He does not like playing the wing, like at all.
    Also why not throw soteldo on the right and schaffelburg on the left. Soteldo can play anywhere, and schaffelburg is very useful as a speed option on the left. Especially if he has a striker, winger, and 10 opening up space and occupying defenders for him.
    Soteldo's offensive threat will be more limited on the right. He's right footed, so you want him cutting inside on his strong foot. If you watch his videos, he's very dangerous coming inside, but it's always from the left.

We have no natural wing forward other than Pozuelo; we could push Laryea up but then who plays right back?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    If all the Borre rumours were true and we were interested (and it sounds like we were) the fact Borre would cost an estimated 15 million dollar fee and Soteldo will cost just 6.5 million means to me their should be more funds to add another top level player if we can open up another DP spot.
    Borre was a free transfer and we were reportedly offering him a 3 year deal worth ~$15M. Soteldo is a $6M transfer fee + 4-5 year deal worth ~$4M per year. Bigger total investment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    There are a number of things you can do here. My thought is Soteldo plays on the left and Pozuelo plays in the #10 spot. Delgado technically plays on the right but that’s entirely misleading if you just look at a formation because 1) he’s not going to be as advanced as Soteldo, 2) is there to cover for Layrea who we want to get forward 3) Pozuelo will occasionally drift into that space and use it as he sees fit.

A huge chunk of the highlights of Soteldo are him cutting in off the left hand side. Basically looks like his office.
    Marky played right back and DM at Chivas; he doesn't look comfortable on the right, thus the Pozuelo suggestion. If we're going to play Delgado and Laryea high, we might as well switch them and make use of Richie's speed, as Delgado is easily as good a defender.

But neither is ideal as he moves better centrally.

Pozuelo was very effective on the right at Genk, even if it wasn't his prefernce. That pair coming inside would terrify this league, where defenders have a tendency to close late.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    Borre was a free transfer and we were reportedly offering him a 3 year deal worth ~$15M. Soteldo is a $6M transfer fee + 4-5 year deal worth ~$4M per year. Bigger total investment.
    oh got it, thanks for clarifying.

So do you think we will only bring in this 1 player?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Borre was supposedly offered 18M over 4 years. There was no transfer required but it would have taken something (maybe 1-2 M?) for River to make it work.

Yefe cost more- 18M over 4 years plus the 6.5M transfer. Call it $25M

There is no leftover money, Yefe cost more. (Putting aside my view that Borre was and is never coming here, he can catch on somewhere decent in Europe. He can make a lot of money over there over the next 7-8 years if it works out, and is not throwing away his Colombia MNT career in a World Cup qualifying year, people.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little piece of skill from the big man:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1351094426513367047

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that DP watch is over until whenever Jozy leaves, we are on U-22 initiative watch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Borre was supposedly offered 18M over 4 years. There was no transfer required but it would have taken something (maybe 1-2 M?) for River to make it work.

Yefe cost more- 18M over 4 years plus the 6.5M transfer. Call it $25M

There is no leftover money, Yefe cost more. (Putting aside my view that Borre was and is never coming here, he can catch on somewhere decent in Europe. He can make a lot of money over there over the next 7-8 years if it works out, and is not throwing away his Colombia MNT career in a World Cup qualifying year, people.)
    Wow this is a huge commitment. So it sounds like there might be enough resources for just the 1 addition

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Molinaro saying the deal is done

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I doubt we have the cap space left for any other moves. Signing a DP now instead of July means a full cap hit of $612k. I wouldn't be surprised if the trade for GAM last week was to help fit that number within the cap.

Wish the MLSPA would release the salaries again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post
    I doubt we have the cap space left for any other moves. Signing a DP now instead of July means a full cap hit of $612k. I wouldn't be surprised if the trade for GAM last week was to help fit that number within the cap.

Wish the MLSPA would release the salaries again.
    Unless he’s a Young DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Except for not wanting to piss off pozuelo, who believes in his heart of hearts that he is a 10. He does not like playing the wing, like at all.
    Also why not throw soteldo on the right and schaffelburg on the left. Soteldo can play anywhere, and schaffelburg is very useful as a speed option on the left. Especially if he has a striker, winger, and 10 opening up space and occupying defenders for him.
    Solteldo is a left winger. He likes to cut in and shoot with his right, moving him to right wing takes away that threat. I wouldn't mind shaff playing right wing as an inverted winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Solteldo is a left winger. He likes to cut in and shoot with his right, moving him to right wing takes away that threat. I wouldn't mind shaff playing right wing as an inverted winger.
    I hadn't thought of that but it might work; Shaff is actually two-footed, he's just mostly played on the left. I suppose they could swing him over.

But our best players on the pitch at the same time means playing either Osorio or Pozuelo as an inverted right-winger. Otherwise, someone sits for Shaffelburg, either Osorio or Bradley or Delgado.

Makes more sense to play Pozuelo there. Whether he likes it as much as central is somewhat irrelevant; if they win a lot and he bags lots of goals, I don't think he'll complain.

----------Altidore-----------
    ---Soteldo-------Pozuelo---
    ---------Osorio------------
    -----Bradley---Delgado---
    Auro--Mavinga--Gonzalez--Laryea

makes the most sense to me.

THey might want Bradley as a high wrecker, in which case he switches spots with Oso. But we can't sit a starter just to play Pozuelo at a preferred spot, when he's going to be just as effective as a wing forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rust View Post
    He does indeed. He said on an interview in Brazil that he's really happy if this transfer gets done because it's an excellent opportunity for him and for his family, since they'll be living in a great city and earning a good money.

He seems really modest, I'm sure he'll give 100% for this club.

Borre wants to go to Europe. Maybe if he doesn't get any european offer he'll rethink everything.

It will be interesting to track the two over the next three years to see who made the smarter move.

COYRs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It’s too soon to say... but the formation thing is probably secondary. Yefe looks to me like he needs the ball to be effective, call him whatever you want.

The key is to make it impossible for teams - if you overload on one of him or Pozo, the other will get you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It’s too soon to say... but the formation thing is probably secondary. Yefe looks to me like he needs the ball to be effective, call him whatever you want.

The key is to make it impossible for teams - if you overload on one of him or Pozo, the other will get you.
    Yefe is def going to open new angles to the attack by sheer will off the dribble. Him and Poz should be deadly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    Also compared to the Borre failed transfer soap.

I'm really impressed that this came together during these extremely difficult times, I had my doubts. Congrats and thanks to the management and ownership! I think in the highlights I've seen some good shots by Soteldo with the left foot as well, I think he does well with both feet.

Let's hope TFC can make it back to Toronto fairly soon so Soteldo & his family can enjoy the "great city" he mentioned in his interview. In the meantime, a resort in Orlando is a fairly nice spot for them to start their time in North America. (Although who knows how soon Soteldo, and especially his family comes.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I love about this is it represents a change in our DP strategy which can make our big spending more sustainable. We've historically spent big money on players with absolutely no resell value whatsoever. Now they had a huge impact, but we weren't able to recover a penny of investment when we moved them on - we've historically bought players, and paid them, above market value to lure them here

By focusing on younger players we have players with much higher potential resale value (and lower wage demands). It only takes one or two we can sell on for decent funds to cover our DP expenditure for a few seasons. That makes the spending way more sustainable and I think it's a much easier prospect to convince MLSE to keep the purse strings open when you add that angle. I really like this strategy even if it's a little riskier

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see us using 3 attacking midfielders with Altidore up top. Soteldo the left attacking midfielder and Pozuelo and Osorio the right and middle attackers.

-----------Altidore
    Soteldo-Pozuelo-Osorio
    ---Bradley-Delgado
    Auro-Mav-Gonzo-Laryea
    -----------Bono