Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475
Results 2,221 to 2,246 of 2246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If we do sell him methinks we look to Spain again for a replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    If we do sell him methinks we look to Spain again for a replacement.
    Agreed. Whatever it is about our organization, city, etc… it seems to make way more sense to look to Europe than elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bundesliga is basically an untapped market for MLS DP's. Frings was a million years ago and doesn't count.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. Whatever it is about our organization, city, etc… it seems to make way more sense to look to Europe than elsewhere.
    It has gotta be a big culture shock to come from South America to Canada. Probably more so than coming from Belgium, France, Germany, England etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    It has gotta be a big culture shock to come from South America to Canada. Probably more so than coming from Belgium, France, Germany, England etc.
    I think we just need to avoid Brazil, where players seem to come to MLS thinking they're going to walk on air.

Argentina and Colombia have been providing top-notch DPs to this league since its earliest days. Higuain, Barros-Schellotto, Valderama, Moreno...

In the TAM era, half the great signings have been from South America. Portland, Vancouver, Seattle, all teams thriving with South American starters.

It makes more sense to go where we can get players slightly younger and cheaper but who still dominate. But that's rarely the Brazilian league, far more often Argentina and Colombia.

I don't disagree that we've gotten good European DPs but they've also been the league's most expensive, and old enough to have zero sell-on value prior to leaving at the end of their deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I think we just need to avoid Brazil, where players seem to come to MLS thinking they're going to walk on air.

Argentina and Colombia have been providing top-notch DPs to this league since its earliest days. Higuain, Barros-Schellotto, Valderama, Moreno...

In the TAM era, half the great signings have been from South America. Portland, Vancouver, Seattle, all teams thriving with South American starters.

It makes more sense to go where we can get players slightly younger and cheaper but who still dominate. But that's rarely the Brazilian league, far more often Argentina and Colombia.

I don't disagree that we've gotten good European DPs but they've also been the league's most expensive, and old enough to have zero sell-on value prior to leaving at the end of their deal.
    Argentina has provided some great DP's to this league and recently a ton of busts. Vancouver has done well with Columbians lately though.

Also, I am not sure many teams, especially TFC, see the DP spots as a method to make profit from selling on players. These new u-22 slots seem like they were designed purely with sell on value in mind. I personally see DP's as 'win now' players in their late 20's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve done a 180 on this but I find Europe is the closest thing you are going to get to a sure-thing when selecting a DP. South America feels like a gamble in places although it depends on the specifics.

Plenty of top, top performers in this league who come from SA.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Based on an insignificant number of cases - Belgian League seems like a place to get decent starters with the occasional TAM / DP's to be had.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 11-04-2021 at 01:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve done a 180 on this but I find Europe is the closest thing you are going to get to a sure-thing when selecting a DP. South America feels like a gamble in places although it depends on the specifics.

Yes. I feel like ideally you are gonna get your DP's from Europe and TAM/u-22 players from South America. Obviously it isn't that simple though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem with the SA market is that all the really good, high priced players who would be sure fire solid DPs are already gone to Europe. The only options down there are to roll the dice on youth or attempt a reclamation project. That's fine for the 3rd DP spot but I think the first two have to be no brainer successes. For that I think overpaying in Europe is the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Problem with the SA market is that all the really good, high priced players who would be sure fire solid DPs are already gone to Europe. The only options down there are to roll the dice on youth or attempt a reclamation project. That's fine for the 3rd DP spot but I think the first two have to be no brainer successes. For that I think overpaying in Europe is the way.
    I think the sweet spot down there is 23-27. Guys who are a little too old to ever be blue chippers in Europe, a little too expensive for mid range European teams to gamble on but perfect for a MLS side.

The flip side is, you’re not going to sell-on that player for a profit, which appears to be the league’s ongoing pipe dream. I think they need a dose of reality on that one. For starters, MLS doesn’t have the coaches to groom blue-chip talent the way teams in Holland, Portugal, or elsewhere to. And acquiring that skill is @$&! difficult.

They’re better off selling their youth players or trying to make their money elsewhere.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the sweet spot down there is 23-27. Guys who are a little too old to ever be blue chippers in Europe, a little too expensive for mid range European teams to gamble on but perfect for a MLS side.

The flip side is, you’re not going to sell-on that player for a profit, which appears to be the league’s ongoing pipe dream. I think they need a dose of reality on that one. For starters, MLS doesn’t have the coaches to groom blue-chip talent the way teams in Holland, Portugal, or elsewhere to. And acquiring that skill is @$&! difficult.

They’re better off selling their youth players or trying to make their money elsewhere.
    I totally agree. It happened once with Almiron and now the league thinks it's a model for every team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to come around on Vanney's penchant for European academy pedigree as opposed to younger SA's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few weeks ago Pozuelo mentioned he had been having some off-field personal issues that had made it harder for him. I did some Instagram sleuthing then and noticed he hadn't really posted any photos of his wife, whereas in the past he would always do a birthday or Valentine's day post. Seemed a little odd, but didn't bring it up. It seems he and his wife have now unfollowed each other on Instagram. I'm guessing they've decided to separate.

I wonder what this means for his future with the team. Will he want to be back in Spain/Europe so that he can see his kids from time to time? Or stay in Toronto cashing a big cheque and live the bachelor life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She has been in Seville pretty much the whole pandemic IIRC so that makes sense. Very sad situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    A few weeks ago Pozuelo mentioned he had been having some off-field personal issues that had made it harder for him. I did some Instagram sleuthing then and noticed he hadn't really posted any photos of his wife, whereas in the past he would always do a birthday or Valentine's day post. Seemed a little odd, but didn't bring it up. It seems he and his wife have now unfollowed each other on Instagram. I'm guessing they've decided to separate.

I wonder what this means for his future with the team. Will he want to be back in Spain/Europe so that he can see his kids from time to time? Or stay in Toronto cashing a big cheque and live the bachelor life.
    That is really sad. I don't think you would but please no one put that on Twitter or anything. Let Poz reveal it if he so chooses.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 11-04-2021 at 03:09 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also would not blame him if he wanted to go back to Spain now. Another year without his kids in town has to be a miserable thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's terrible if true. I think the same happened with Victor Vazquez while he was in Qatar

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow that's awful if true. It's a good reality check for us. All of these players are human, regardless of salary or current play. The global nomad life they often lead is never easy. And it can be 100 times worse during the pandemic. I'll keep that in mind if I want to start ranting about something I really don't have a clue about.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mentioned this at the start of the season, we need to look closely at all leagues but one most teams seem to not focus on, is the J league. That lad Celtic got, Furuhashi is an absolute fantastic player. Been watching him all season, such a joy to watch. Yesterday in away game in champions league he scored one and set one up. Only 26, he will undoubtedly go on and play at a higher level and provide a profit.The whole Asian market isn't really being tapped into, you see German clubs picking up players from that area as teens, see Son from Spurs origianlly signed at 18 by Hamburger SV, even the lad banging them in at Wolves on loan, Hee Chang, was picked up by Red Bull Salzburg. The german clubs are getting in first then selling them on. Minamino now at Liverpool but originally sourced by Red Bull Salzburg.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've noticed that veteran players who thrive at TFC and in Toronto are hardcore family guys. But maybe that's just me cherry picking to strengthen the narrative.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Okay, as someone who spent a quarter-century in print media, I'd just about bet right now that they're shopping Bono.

This piece reeks of paid placement. There's no news or fresh quotes in it, just a positive bio piece that gets a dateline by virtue of being on a "news" site.

I doubt Bono is paying for reputation enhancement but I can think of a few others who might want him polished.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2021/...or-toronto-fc/
    This is honestly pretty embarrassing..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo moving for less than 10M (USD!!!) would be a complete crime and a fireable offence imo. Would be shameful mismanagement of an asset and player that skilled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...o-fc-1.6225106
    This article mentions that Shaffelburg's contract is up at the end of the season. I imagine we still have rights to him as a player, but he will be due a raise over his minimum level contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...o-fc-1.6225106
    This article mentions that Shaffelburg's contract is up at the end of the season. I imagine we still have rights to him as a player, but he will be due a raise over his minimum level contract.
    According to the MLSPA salary guide Shaffelburg is way above a minimum salary.
    Probably around the same base compensation and new bonus should have him retained (almost on a bet on yourself deal).
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018