Results 2,191 to 2,220 of 2246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Great!

Also, some talk of whether Soteldo or Altidore return, apparently.
    I hope none of them returns, at least not as a DP.

As far as Soteldo is concerned, in my view he's worth no more than a TAM deal for TFC. He's not what we need for a DP, and in this has a part that he and Poz can not coexist as needed on the field.
    Now, if Poz would be gone by next season, then Soteldo may be worth to stay as a DP... but this dependig again on who the other 2 DP-s will be.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo is definitely a DP worthy player but I do agree our most critical need is for a striker, he can't be relied on for goals but as we've seen he can definitely assist. The clear move would be to replace Altidore, with someone more consistent and dynamic. I envision letting Soteldo go would mean he would probably move within the league and he would absolutely burn us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the reality is, the optimal mix for the team is Solteldo or Poz as a setup man, but not both.

It was a poorly thought out move in terms of fit but not a terrible player who was acquired.

I expect a press release one day after the season closes that Curtis is no longer with the team. Otherwise, I’ll be hedging my bets on any rebuild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watching Bayern Munich and Alfonzo Davies , I’m not sure if he is ready to leave Bayern but still only 32 will be 33 next September but I guy who just because of his character, a guy like Thomas Mueller I think would come here and still put in a good 3 years and probably score a good number of goals , but if they want to make a splash and maybe get the fans back a guy like Mueller would be a great fit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    Watching Bayern Munich and Alfonzo Davies , I’m not sure if he is ready to leave Bayern but still only 32 will be 33 next September but I guy who just because of his character, a guy like Thomas Mueller I think would come here and still put in a good 3 years and probably score a good number of goals , but if they want to make a splash and maybe get the fans back a guy like Mueller would be a great fit.
    Muller is one of my all time favorite players. I would immediately buy his jersey if by some miracle he came to TFC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Muller is one of my all time favorite players. I would immediately buy his jersey if by some miracle he came to TFC.
    I would love this too. But I don't know why he would want to leave the best team in Europe right now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://torontosun.com/sports/buffer...or-next-season

No Seba, too pricey. Also, some talk of whether Soteldo or Altidore return, apparently.
    This is really encouraging. No need to overpay for nostalgia.

Altidore needs to go, but Soteldo is an interesting case. I personally think he’s worth a DP spot and with some MLS experience under his belt he could be really good next year. But if the rumours are true that he’s disruptive in the locker room then it might be best to move on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be cautious about disruptive influence takes given the lack of actual access to players right now. Might be true but all we really now is there were reports out of the last Venezuela camp & nothing else.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There seems to be a ton of disruption and instability within TFC this season, regardless of whether Soteldo is on the field, or even on the bench. TFC is all over the map, from occasionally quite good to absolute shite: strategy, motivation, attitude, interplay and everything else. I wouldn't read much into Soteldo's supposed behaviour or anyone else. Hopefully Perez and Co have a better idea of the real problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post

Altidore needs to go, but Soteldo is an interesting case. I personally think he’s worth a DP spot and with some MLS experience under his belt he could be really good next year. But if the rumours are true that he’s disruptive in the locker room then it might be best to move on.
    What rumors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    What rumors?
    There were some rumours that vets on the Venezuela team confronted him about partying late and missing practice, which is why he got sent home early in the last international window (rather than due to injury). Also on a few of the postgame Twitter Spaces audio things that people from Waking the Red do, there’s been some suggestions that he’s a bit disruptive at practices and not really trying hard or just taking days off when he feels like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    There were some rumours that vets on the Venezuela team confronted him about partying late and missing practice, which is why he got sent home early in the last international window (rather than due to injury). Also on a few of the postgame Twitter Spaces audio things that people from Waking the Red do, there’s been some suggestions that he’s a bit disruptive at practices and not really trying hard or just taking days off when he feels like it.
    Thanks. I was aware of the Venezuela stuff, didnt realize there was Toronto related ones too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, as someone who spent a quarter-century in print media, I'd just about bet right now that they're shopping Bono.

This piece reeks of paid placement. There's no news or fresh quotes in it, just a positive bio piece that gets a dateline by virtue of being on a "news" site.

I doubt Bono is paying for reputation enhancement but I can think of a few others who might want him polished.

https://worldfootballindex.com/2021/...or-toronto-fc/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, as someone who spent a quarter-century in print media, I'd just about bet right now that they're shopping Bono.

This piece reeks of paid placement. There's no news or fresh quotes in it, just a positive bio piece that gets a dateline by virtue of being on a "news" site.

I doubt Bono is paying for reputation enhancement but I can think of a few others who might want him polished.

Which club in the world is going to pay Bono $500K? He is a $100K backup keeper in a third or second division team at best, maybe not even that.

What an absolute mess. It's going to take all of 2022 to cleanup the bad contracts.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't Bono's contract end after this season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Doesn't Bono's contract end after this season?
    Can't find a source anywhere. He signed a new "long-term" deal in 2018, so either end of this year or end of next.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't find a source anywhere. He signed a new "long-term" deal in 2018, so either end of this year or end of next.
    Found a hint at its length from https://www.syracuse.com/sports/2018...oronto_fc.html

"Bono said it's a four-year deal that kicks in next season." That quote was in 2018, so it looks like he has one more year on his contract (unless there is a club or player option for the last year).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont suppose the author is from Syracuse or in a journo program at the Uni there?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Another great signing by Ali Curtis. Honestly, this guy should have been fired along with Armas, but for some reason, which completely escapes me, he remains. Any thoughts as to why he hasn't been given the boot by Manning?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most contracts have a 1 year team option at the end.

We'll know by a week from now.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowe View Post

I agree with the right players around him he'd be an excellent MLS player. Top 15 player for sure.

BUT IMO - he's not a good fit for this team or this city. He'd be better suited in the more southern states. I think he's heart is too steeped in the latino culture / way of life. His head is still in Brasil. He'd be better suited in a community that could fill that void for him. Up here he ain't going to get that - both on and off the field.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 11-02-2021 at 07:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brazilian papers are reporting Toronto has put Soteldo in the window and wants a minimum $3.1M CAN for him, for 50% of his rights. Allegedly Palmeiras thinks it can come up with the bread.

I dunno, I dunno... our local media seem inept or uninterested in covering football properly so damned if we'd get a hint whether any of this stuff is true or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where there is smoke there is fire.....

The rumors have gone on for several months.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brazilian papers are reporting Toronto has put Soteldo in the window and wants a minimum $3.1M CAN for him, for 50% of his rights. Allegedly Palmeiras thinks it can come up with the bread.

I dunno, I dunno... our local media seem inept or uninterested in covering football properly so damned if we'd get a hint whether any of this stuff is true or not.
    I feel like $3.1M CDN would be a little low. Didn't we pay $6M US for 75% of his rights (and Santos has a 12.5% sell on clause). I figure TFC would want to break even at minimum, so at least $4M US ($5M Canadian) if the number is 50%. (Unless he truly is a shit disturber and they are willing to take a loss to get rid of him, instead of waiting/hoping he can increase his value)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact we're talking about recovering some, maybe all, of the transfer fee for him is one of the major pros in a transfer policy around attracting younger talent with resale value. Best case you either cash out big or get a legend, but chances are even worst case you're not writing off your investment and may even recoup close to all of it. That's a big contrast vs end of career DP types

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Soteldo is gone in the winter window the big bloody deal "Jermain Defoe" lasted longer. At least Defoe moved some shirts and created a buzz. Lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If Soteldo is gone in the winter window the big bloody deal "Jermain Defoe" lasted longer. At least Defoe moved some shirts and created a buzz. Lol.
    Remember his fight over the free kick ball with Gilberto?

Gilberto is top scorer in Brazil this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if Soteldo is sold back to Brazil if it will influence TFC's DP recruiting in South America. Not sure if it is a club philosophy or just coincidence that they have generally gone to Europe for DP's in recent times.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Further evidence to avoid Brazil when looking for DPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow good for him. To bad it didn't work out when he was here, I always liked him.