Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 236369707172737475 LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,190 of 2246
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post

I like the guys who have track records managing smaller or mid range clubs, because I get the sense they would better understand the practicalities of dealing with less than perfect conditions.
    Fair enough but they usually only do well if partnered with a GM with lots of MLS experience.

Losado is a good model - doing OK first year at DCU with what he was given.

Which is a reminder, next year is the beginning of a 2-3 season project.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ I don’t fully buy into it either but I am a tad skeptical of the big name Europeans who make their way over to this side of the pond. Always feels like a short stay and maybe misplaced.

I like the guys who have track records managing smaller or mid range clubs, because I get the sense they would better understand the practicalities of dealing with less than perfect conditions.
    Big fan of Van Bommel because of his PSV side tbh so I think that fits, I agree with your logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Courtesy of Nicolo Schira, (according to reddit he's an Italian journalist whose rumours are apparently usually of the throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks variety)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Courtesy of Nicolo Schira, (according to reddit he's an Italian journalist whose rumours are apparently usually of the throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks variety)
    That was already debunked by Tom Borgert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And here's Wheeler with an update:

Gio would need to go through the allocation order. Right now we're somewhere in the mid teens on that list. In the off season we'll sit somewhere in the top 4 spots. Much easier to make a small swap trade from 4th to 1st in the off season to officially sign Gio.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, that's why I said he's the throw shit at the wall and hope it sticks variety

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Gio would need to go through the allocation order. Right now we're somewhere in the mid teens on that list. In the off season we'll sit somewhere in the top 4 spots. Much easier to make a small swap trade from 4th to 1st in the off season to officially sign Gio.
    I have all the respect for Giovinco and what he did for us but I don't get this if TFC does it. Better not take up a DP spot if it happens. It is a bit like the panic move to extend Altidore when Giovinco left. Just politics and not forward thinking soccer decisions that will benefit the team. Like Lampard and Pirlo...just coming to sell shirts but not to win championships. If they want to sign him to a non-DP player to come off the bench for a reasonable salary then whatever but this is not 2017 Giovinco coming back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Signing Giovinco will just help the casual fan forget that we are probably gonna buy out Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Signing Giovinco will just help the casual fan forget that we are probably gonna buy out Jozy.
    Re-signing Jozy was already a short sighted move designed to appease the more fickle fans in the short term by massively sacrificing the long term (And same said fans will turn on you when results inevitable don't work so it really is a short term only solution), I really hope they've learned from that here. If they sign Seba on a DP or TAM deal they'll be doubling down on that policy. Get him in on a smaller contract and have him be a bit part player and I'd be fine with it, anything else is not learning from history
    Last edited by JoesphNdo; 10-27-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    I have all the respect for Giovinco and what he did for us but I don't get this if TFC does it. Better not take up a DP spot if it happens. It is a bit like the panic move to extend Altidore when Giovinco left. Just politics and not forward thinking soccer decisions that will benefit the team. Like Lampard and Pirlo...just coming to sell shirts but not to win championships. If they want to sign him to a non-DP player to come off the bench for a reasonable salary then whatever but this is not 2017 Giovinco coming back.
    Agreed. In a non-salary cap league, bring Gio back would just be a good feeling story. I'd love to see him in red again. But there's no way TFC should be bringing him back on even a TAM salary. This is such a pivotal offseason for the team and a big opportunity to refresh the squad. Hopefully it isn't wasted.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Agreed. In a non-salary cap league, bring Gio back would just be a good feeling story. I'd love to see him in red again. But there's no way TFC should be bringing him back on even a TAM salary. This is such a pivotal offseason for the team and a big opportunity to refresh the squad. Hopefully it isn't wasted.
    Pretty sure he left here a few years ago thinking he was worth the $10M per year that the Saudi team was offering and turned down TFC's DP deal. I just can't see him wanting to come back a couple years later for far less money with a non-DP/non-TAM deal. He probably feels like he should have some DP level status still. Who knows, maybe he made his money and just wants to play in TO but if he is still after the money like he was when he left, I don't see it happening unless TFC FO is really that stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoesphNdo View Post
    Re-signing Jozy was already a short sighted move designed to appease the more fickle fans in the short term by massively sacrificing the long term (And same said fans will turn on you when results inevitable don't work so it really is a short term only solution), I really hope they've learned from that here. If they sign Seba on a DP or TAM deal they'll be doubling down on that policy. Get him in on a smaller contract and have him be a bit part player and I'd be fine with it, anything else is not learning from history
    My thoughts exactly. If he is here to play a supporting role on reasonable money, fine. If this is a bread-and-circus attempt to draw fans and distract from the shit show they’ve created they can stuff it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought the Seba rumours were completely nuts the first time I heard them, and I think they're likely still nuts.

But then I realized that he still has his house and family here, and is still in Toronto anyway during the offseason. So one way it could possibly work: if they all agree he's retiring as a player soon, and they pay Seba a low salary until then. But they already offer him a staff salary for after that. I don't know if Seba is interested in coaching; that would be one possibility. Or Italian community liaison or whatever.

There have been a number of TFC players in the past who retired on suspiciously low salaries, but continued with the club in some capacity afterwards. Some of those following positions seemed totally real (like Dichio coaching), some more fake (like Cheyrou, who also transitioned to some team salary but was never really heard from again). I think Cheyrou was paid $150k or less in his last year as a player? I doubt that was the full picture.

In Seba's case it would be far easier to finagle something if he wants to continue living in Toronto at least part of the year anyway.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FYI

We are 10 days away from being able to close this thread.

The new one will start that night - some roster decisions have to be announced within 48 hours of the last game.

The quest for the Off Season Cup begins on November 7th.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait for Nov 07!!!!!!!!

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FYI

The new one will start that night - some roster decisions have to be announced within 48 hours of the last game.

For the first time in years, our off-season starts when the regular season ends.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    For the first time in years, our off-season starts when the regular season ends.
    And here I thought we were having an "off"-season all year long LOL

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I thought the Seba rumours were completely nuts the first time I heard them, and I think they're likely still nuts.

But then I realized that he still has his house and family here, and is still in Toronto anyway during the offseason. So one way it could possibly work: if they all agree he's retiring as a player soon, and they pay Seba a low salary until then. But they already offer him a staff salary for after that. I don't know if Seba is interested in coaching; that would be one possibility. Or Italian community liaison or whatever.

There have been a number of TFC players in the past who retired on suspiciously low salaries, but continued with the club in some capacity afterwards. Some of those following positions seemed totally real (like Dichio coaching), some more fake (like Cheyrou, who also transitioned to some team salary but was never really heard from again). I think Cheyrou was paid $150k or less in his last year as a player? I doubt that was the full picture.

In Seba's case it would be far easier to finagle something if he wants to continue living in Toronto at least part of the year anyway.

Seba isn't a coach. Just like Dero isn't a coach.
    It would be an ambassador role at most.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Seba isn't a coach. Just like Dero isn't a coach.
    It would be an ambassador role at most.
    He could probably work with really young kids though but a liason is probably more his thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    FYI

Our off-season actually starts two weeks after the 7th…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    And the very first transaction should be to get rid of that ass hat Ali Curtis.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Our off-season actually starts two weeks after the 7th…
    No new signings can occur until December 12th, so technically that's when it really starts in terms of potential player moves, but our speculations can occur long before then.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MLS contract decisions have to be provided within 48 hours of the last game ending (unless the new contract changed that)

Voyageurs roster if we get to the final is going to be interesting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t like this Bradley CB thing. We’ve gone down that route before and it wasn’t pretty.

Maybe it’s just to admit even the best have to take a step back at some stage?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    He could probably work with really young kids though but a liason is probably more his thing.
    If you've ever tried coaching really young kids, you'd know it's less about soccer and more about fun. Even older kids like U10-U12 are still learning fundamentals of the game. I don't think a player that has played at his level would be interested in that type of gig.

Seba/Dero are more clinic type coaches. They come in for a session or two to teach something specific and then they are out.

Club Ambassador is more up his ally. Show up at events, sign some autographs, get tons of attention and be the centre of focus and then move on to the next event.
    Dero has Scarborough covered, Seba can take LIttle Italy and Woodbridge

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    If you've ever tried coaching really young kids, you'd know it's less about soccer and more about fun. Even older kids like U10-U12 are still learning fundamentals of the game. I don't think a player that has played at his level would be interested in that type of gig.

Seba/Dero are more clinic type coaches. They come in for a session or two to teach something specific and then they are out.

Club Ambassador is more up his ally. Show up at events, sign some autographs, get tons of attention and be the centre of focus and then move on to the next event.
    Dero has Scarborough covered, Seba can take LIttle Italy and Woodbridge
    I agree. But if Seba is staying in Toronto, whatever his role might be, it can be more real & easier to justify than whatever follow-on contracts Cheyrou and Frings got for example.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LAFC really missing Vela this season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo is out for the rest of the season, Perez said today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://torontosun.com/sports/buffer...or-next-season

No Seba, too pricey. Also, some talk of whether Soteldo or Altidore return, apparently.