Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 2246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Well i guess your stating we are in for another tough year next year, i dont support this regime so am frustrated to no end, and may have to find something else to do during next summer
    I'm just saying there is 0 chance either resigns. They could be fired of course. I think in all likelihood Ali is on his way out. Manning is close to TFC and knows what's happening and will be the one to pull that string. I'm not sure Bogers really knows enough about TFC to fire Manning, or in fact likely doesn't share the general view of him on this board. They would have to be the one to fire Manning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    People need to take a good hard look around the league to see the quality of GM's & Presidents.

There is only 1 exec in this league that has not effed up something in the last 5 years & Lagerway is not going anywhere (And I suspect Seattle supporters have an opinion on him that isn't always rosy)

Heck, people need to take a look at European league & ask themselves how perfect any of them are.

Am I happy with the current situation? No

Do I think certain members of the management should go? Yes

Do I think me being happy with the management team & player roster is necessary for me to go to games & support the team? Hell No

An MLS version of Alex Ferguson or Jurgen Klopp is not coming through that door people. Get used to people being wrong in things. Don't stop complaining & looking for better but NOTHING in this game is always perfect.
    But for context, let’s remember longer term Seattle one of the only other clubs proven to have a war chest comparable to ours. The other teams’ quest for consistent performance is complicated by inconsistent spending and other factors.

So if you bring someone in, I think you need not expect a perfect track record but someone who performs above expectations given what they have to work with.

That said, it’s not crazy to say we couldn’t poach someone and improve our chances. It wouldn’t be hard to find people who have been more consistent than Curtis and Manning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    But for context, let’s remember longer term Seattle one of the only other clubs proven to have a war chest comparable to ours. The other teams’ quest for consistent performance is complicated by inconsistent spending and other factors.

So if you bring someone in, I think you need not expect a perfect track record but someone who performs above expectations given what they have to work with.

That said, it’s not crazy to say we couldn’t poach someone and improve our chances. It wouldn’t be hard to find people who have been more consistent than Curtis and Manning.
    One of the jokes around the league is that Toronto and Seattle will play for the MLS Cup again. You think Manning is at risk? I highly doubt it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    One of the jokes around the league is that Toronto and Seattle will play for the MLS Cup again. You think Manning is at risk? I highly doubt it.
    Doesn’t feel like he given how he’s communicating in the press but I’d argue he should be.

Those jokes are dead after this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn’t feel like he given how he’s communicating in the press but I’d argue he should be.

Those jokes are dead after this year.
    Maybe, but I don't think he's at risk. We've probably been the most consistent team after Seattle since about 2015 (hence the joke). The league itself is wildly inconsistent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Maybe, but I don't think he's at risk. We've probably been the most consistent team after Seattle since about 2015 (hence the joke). The league itself is wildly inconsistent.
    We should be the most consistent team in the league outside of LA. Basement dwelling seasons like this shouldn't happen.

We shouldn't settle for second rate physios, trainers, coach's or unproven managers. MLSE has invested in training facilities and can buy premier DP players when needed.

Toronto is still an attractive destination. We also have an absolute gold mine of youth talent in Ontario yet continue to drop the ball in this aspect.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I can see that.

Just more responding to the "I hate how this team is run so won't be watching" amount of thinking going on. I get covid fatigue but not watching because you dislike how things are going would mean a lot of supporters would be gone for every team each year. That's not how sport works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think anyone expects perfection or Seattle level supremacy, what people expect is that the club meets the expectations it has set for itself and in turn created for us, the supporters. Had the club not come out and said "The young guys are going to step up, our existing squad is basically a title contender, and Armas is going to lead us to championships for years" and proceeded to go AWOL, then I wouldn't be @ing club staff on a messaging board on a random weekday. The reasons for why the club is currently tied-2nd last in MLS with the 3rd largest payroll relates directly to the ability of management to competently make assessments regarding the state of the club, adequately allocate resources, and meet expectations that they themselves set.

Matters have been made far worse by the way in which these failures have been addressed. The club has become insular to the point where direct fan communication is essentially non-existent aside from Twitter (love Giacometti). Interviews are short, (very) infrequent, and editorialized. As a hub of community, that is infuriatingly antithetical. As a business reliant on engagement with said community to produce revenue, that strategy is an easy way to fail. Communication and public accountability is mandatory to successful leadership of any sports organization. Silence disconnects peripheral members of the community and drives devoted members mad. Most importantly, that strategy demonstrates the lack of value placed upon (and a worrying disconnect with) the community.

Those who run this club have demonstrated to me that they are not able to run the club on-the-pitch to a satisfactory level and that off-the-pitch they are incapable of acting as responsible custodians of the community they serve and rely upon. For the same reasons most of us will never stop watching I won't accept bullshit management.
    Last edited by portu; 10-20-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's just look objectively from 2016-21 if you're Bogers:

Year League Playoffs
    2016 5th Runner up
    2017 1st Champion
    2018 19th DNQ
    2019 9th Runner up
    2020 2nd First round
    2021 BAD DNQ

I'm just not sure that screams get rid of the whole management team. In fact, without looking it up, I bet it's the second best record in MLS over that period. (ed: can't seem to format that but I think it's legible).
    Last edited by Canary10; 10-20-2021 at 01:44 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mistakes over the last few years (probably more, these are the ones off the top of my head)

Armas

Not prepped for Vanney leaving

Not prepped for Bez leaving

Zavs, Bono & other contracts immediately following 2017

How Seba handled

Jozy contract renewal

Not prepped for Moor replacement (Gonzalez) flaming out earlier then expected

In general, not seeing any signs of the need for renewal after both 2019 & 2020

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Mistakes over the last few years (probably more, these are the ones off the top of my head)

Armas

Not prepped for Vanney leaving

Not prepped for Bez leaving

Zavs, Bono & other contracts immediately following 2017

How Seba handled

Jozy contract renewal

Not prepped for Moor replacement (Gonzalez) flaming out earlier then expected

In general, not seeing any signs of the need for renewal after both 2019 & 2020
    van der Wiel for Beitashour

Inability to draft a single serviceable player since ... Silva?

General underperformance of Academy
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a long list when compared to the successes:

Mavinga

Laryea

Keeping Oso

Hagglund trade (although use of resources on Gonzalez not looking so good now)

Poz (again, sort of - has he really been worth the $25M cost?)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    van der Wiel for Beitashour

Inability to draft a single serviceable player since ... Silva?

General underperformance of Academy
    Ugh. Someone's head should roll just for drafting Griffin Dorsey over Tajon alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was one of the options we missed on, definitely more criminal when you see it’s turned out to be MLS all star vs. journeyman.

But we also missed on grooming a young and capable Dayne St Clair, who’s likely to become a great MLS keeper in the coming years.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It is a long list when compared to the successes:

Mavinga

Laryea

Keeping Oso

Hagglund trade (although use of resources on Gonzalez not looking so good now)

Poz (again, sort of - has he really been worth the $25M cost?)
    I would even put an asterisk after "Keeping Oso." He receives a significant salary. I think he has huge potential. But through some combination of coaching, tactics, team composition, (lack of) sport psychology, and I don't know what else, I think he's underperformed, especially this year, and especially relative to expectations. With Pozuelo gone for a long time, I expected Osorio would step up more. 4 goals isn't horrible for a midfielder, but he has 1 single assist all season. That's sad.

And it's not really just about Osorio (who I think has performed better for Canada recently, also considering the opposition). There's just the feeling that TFC often doesn't perform to their ability; is inconsistent; doesn't get the best out of their players (in addition to often having the wrong & expensive players, as mentioned above).

Related: why for so many years can't we have a couple of players who can hammer the ball long distance now and then, to at least force a save from the keeper? It puts pressure on the opposition, makes their defence play different which opens up other avenues.

It's absolutely cringe-worthy when veterans like Bradley, Delgado, Osorio and others try to take a long shot on net. Even Pozuelo almost always chips the ball, which really doesn't work from 20+ yards out. (I know he used to take some hard long shots in Belgium, what happened?) And then there's Soteldo...
    Last edited by Auzzy; 10-20-2021 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just sign Insigne. Let him know there are no native elephants in Canada and we cremate the ones who do pass in the zoo's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I would even put an asterisk after "Keeping Oso." He receives a significant salary. I think he has huge potential. But through some combination of coaching, tactics, team composition, (lack of) sport psychology, and I don't know what else, I think he's underperformed, especially this year, and especially relative to expectations. With Pozuelo gone for a long time, I expected Osorio would step up more. 4 goals isn't horrible for a midfielder, but he has 1 single assist all season. That's sad.

And it's not really just about Osorio (who I think has performed better for Canada recently, also considering the opposition). There's just the feeling that TFC often doesn't perform to their ability; is inconsistent; doesn't get the best out of their players (in addition to often having the wrong & expensive players, as mentioned above).
    He played his ass off in a contract year and after Aketxe’s flop they were sort of caught in a position of being embarrassed if he walked.

I think he’s been misused by the club long term. He’s so versatile they always shoehorn him into whatever place in midfield suits their purposes. But very clearly he plays way better either as the outright DM or on the left side of midfield in a slightly more advanced, box-to-box role. He is not as great as an AM and is “worst” on the right side.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 10-20-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated salaries were posted: https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

My highlights of the new additions:
    - Soteldo on $2M is a lot less than I thought he'd be on. Good value for the team here.
    - Kemar on $340k. I think this is a reasonable price for him and less than I thought TFC would have given him. You can fit three Kemar's into OG's salary.
    - Dwyer on $81k is a lot less than I thought he'd be on. At least at that price he's easy to cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Updated salaries were posted: https://mlsplayers.org/resources/salary-guide

My highlights of the new additions:
    - Soteldo on $2M is a lot less than I thought he'd be on. Good value for the team here.
    - Kemar on $340k. I think this is a reasonable price for him and less than I thought TFC would have given him. You can fit three Kemar's into OG's salary.
    - Dwyer on $81k is a lot less than I thought he'd be on. At least at that price he's easy to cut.
    Imagine paying $330K for an international who has made a grand total of 10 appearances for the first team in 3 years(Erickson Gallardo). How about nearly half a million for second division goalkeeper(Bono).

Aside from the obvious flops(Jozy and Omar) there are some really very below average players getting nice vacation pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still don't get this, what am I missing about Laryea? He's 26, right?
    Which English clubs were interested?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying to imagine the most CONCACAF player in MLS going into the Championship & people dealing with how he deals with hard tackles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would love to see Richie go play with my beloved Swans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by flambe View Post
    I still don't get this, what am I missing about Laryea? He's 26, right?
    Which English clubs were interested?
    If I could draw a comparison, you sometimes see the lower prem (or more likely, championship) clubs pick up b-grade talent in the form of guys who play really well in the americas but are untested in Europe. Usually cause they are cheap and the blue chippers are heading elsewhere.

Feels like that kind of signing but personally I think he should try elsewhere on the continent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Laryea making 226 k a year and Jozy 3.6 million is criminal. Laryea is worth 800-900 k and Altidore, well I'd pay to get him to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't even comprehend that Altidore makes 16 x more then Laryea when Laryea is better then him. Mind boggling. Give that man a raise (or sell him so everyone gets paid) and get rid of Altidore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I said to get rid of Altidore in 2019. You always sell high. Never keep a stock for too long. You always sell at the top. Signing Bradley and Jozy when their stock was clearly going down was moronic and desperate even at the time. Management needs to get fired for their string of bad decisions. It's not hindsight either it was obvious. How does Ali Curtis have a job?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Just sign Insigne. Let him know there are no native elephants in Canada and we cremate the ones who do pass in the zoo's.
    Dude you are funny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Dude you are funny
    I try and tell my wife this all the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Defoe View Post
    Laryea making 226 k a year and Jozy 3.6 million is criminal. Laryea is worth 800-900 k and Altidore, well I'd pay to get him to leave.
    According to TRANSFERMARKT, what is what it is (lots of guys are loving it, while others say it's far from realistic more often than not), but IMO is a really nice way to measure a player's real and actual worth in the eyes of football professionals:
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/toront...e/verein/11141 :

Richie is worth 3.5 million Euros (and trending up)
    Jozy is worth 1.5 million Euros (and trending down)

So yes...
    Compared to what is paid by TFC another Canadian national team guy, Osorio, Richie should be paid about $650,000 per year, and Jozy about $280,000 per year.

If Richie would go to a Championship team, I can't see how he would get more than about 350,000 Euros per year though.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 10-21-2021 at 08:00 AM.