Page 7 of 75 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    Right ... get him out of Brazil ASAP and into quarantine somewhere and while we're at it pump a vaccine into him so he can get into a game ...
    I don't know if Florida has quarantine rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    I don't know if Florida has quarantine rules.
    MLS requires a 5 day quaratine after "high risk activities", which includes flying on a commercial flight. Even if he flies private, I imagine there would be some form of quarantine requirements for him to go through just to protect the rest of the team until he can have a few days of COVID testing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC fandom's doctor in residence has a good point

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's something to think how long the Borre sage dragged itself out regardless of what direction it was taking and this seemed to pop out of nowhere and has progressed quite quickly, guess it the difference in a player that truly wants to be here vs one who views it as a fall back.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    I know nothing other than what I’m reading now but based on highlights he would definitely give us that extra edge on the left side. What is interesting to me is that he’s looking like a pure winger compared to Borre so that leaves Jozy as our go to striker with akinola/mullinho and perruzza. Makes me think that there isn’t a desire or plan to move Jozy this year.
    if Jozy stays fit he is as good as it gets in that position in this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Soteldo seems great from the descriptions and videos.

Only thing from the videos: sometimes he keeps dribbling when he needs to pass. And sometimes his passes aren't great because he maneuvered into a bad spot first. Maybe that was just the selection of clips selected for the videos. Hopefully that wouldn't become a problem with TFC. Also he might get frustrated if he keeps getting hacked in MLS w/o always getting the calls.
    What is the difference you see between him and Piatti

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    They looked pretty gassed as a team. Auro had a rough game as well and that impacted how Singh looked. I’d be hesitant to call out anyone but I think Singh is likely a year or two away as opposed to ready for prime time immediately.

My thought is we probably lose one (or several) of: Ayo, Osorio, Layrea, Delgado, or Mullins in the summer. Maybe even Jozy.
    Would expect loans for a few youth guys who are further down the pecking order as well.

I know we always accuse Curtis of being behind on timelines (which has often been fair) but in those case, to me, it feels like he’s making changes here to provide cover before other things happen.
    Its the midfield. it has to be. Bradley is staying and is in the midst of a resurgence, so one of Oso, Marky or Poz is leaving. Marky has the most trade value.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    MLS requires a 5 day quaratine after "high risk activities", which includes flying on a commercial flight. Even if he flies private, I imagine there would be some form of quarantine requirements for him to go through just to protect the rest of the team until he can have a few days of COVID testing.
    The US will not allow Brazilian or Venezuelan nationals to enter the US right now. I assume there is a sports exemption somewhere, but it must include fairly tough quarantine rules.

I wonder if the smart thing is to have him meet the team in Mexico City and debut a week Tuesday in the second leg... Mexico has no quarantine rules, and CCL isn’t MLS.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't been on these boards for about 36 hours and lst time I checked this thread was 2 pages. Ha! Teaches me. Mini Seba sounds great, and I'm with Ensco, lets get his Santos shirt...!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    if Jozy stays fit he is as good as it gets in that position in this league.
    And if my grandma had 2 wheels she'd be a bike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rust View Post
    Man, I hope it's true, I really hope it's true! Gonna love to see Soteldo playing for us!

Gonna buy a jersey with his name and number!
    I'll buy that jersey if he picks #52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yuushalinsky View Post
    RIGHT AFTER I bought a Pozo kit too... oh well, I can buy the 2022 MLS Champ kit of Soteldo.
    ah.. too bad you just have the kit of the league MVP instead

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    What is the difference you see between him and Piatti
    Totally different player, I didn't see this potential issue at all with Piatti. We've had some other players that might dribble into a thicket like Soteldo. I wouldn't worry about it, we shall see.

The issue with "quarantine" is not only about rules of countries or leagues or whatever. It's that there's a huge risk of COVID and variants in Brazil & associated travel. You don't want anyone else on the team (or families, staff etc.) to get infected, especially not long enough after their first vaccine doses for them to really work. But that risk can be lowered with multiple PCR tests, and who knows maybe in Brazil all the footy players already got vaccinated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure it matters for quarantine but he had Covid already as part of a team outbreak in the winter. May not make a difference..

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    Not sure it matters for quarantine but he had Covid already as part of a team outbreak in the winter. May not make a difference..
    Oh I didn't know that, very interesting. Certainly lowers the risk quite a bit (although it may not affect any official rules). Probably it was already the Brazilian variant in the winter?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given that Pozuelo has played as a winger in Spain, Belgium and England, and given that he's pretty dangerous from the edge of the area, it would make a lot of sense to use him in a three-man front with a target striker and Soteldo, who comes inside and scores bangers a lot, based on his youtube clips:

Soteldo----Altidore/Ayo----Pozuelo
    -------------Osorio----------------
    --------Bradley----Delgado---------
    Auro---Mavinga--Gonzalez---Laryea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Given that Pozuelo has played as a winger in Spain, Belgium and England, and given that he's pretty dangerous from the edge of the area, it would make a lot of sense to use him in a three-man front with a target striker and Soteldo, who comes inside and scores bangers a lot, based on his youtube clips:

Soteldo----Altidore/Ayo----Pozuelo
    -------------Osorio----------------
    --------Bradley----Delgado---------
    Auro---Mavinga--Gonzalez---Laryea
    Except for not wanting to piss off pozuelo, who believes in his heart of hearts that he is a 10. He does not like playing the wing, like at all.
    Also why not throw soteldo on the right and schaffelburg on the left. Soteldo can play anywhere, and schaffelburg is very useful as a speed option on the left. Especially if he has a striker, winger, and 10 opening up space and occupying defenders for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should do whatever they want with Soteldo, but should not reduce the joy of playing and the ego of Poz, not even a single millimeter!
    Yes Soteldo looks like he'll be great for TFC, but until proven contrary, I value Poz sensibly more for our team than Soteldo would be.

It's more than enough that he'll be paid more than Poz is paid...
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 04-24-2021 at 05:21 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Except for not wanting to piss off pozuelo, who believes in his heart of hearts that he is a 10. He does not like playing the wing, like at all.
    Also why not throw soteldo on the right and schaffelburg on the left. Soteldo can play anywhere, and schaffelburg is very useful as a speed option on the left. Especially if he has a striker, winger, and 10 opening up space and occupying defenders for him.
    The heat maps I've seen of Soltedo he occupies solely the left side of the pitch. Could just be how Santos deployed him and he has more tools in the chest, but I'm a HUGE proponent of playing your best players at their best position where poasible and letting the rest of the roster adapt. If that means less playing time for Shaffleburg because he can't adapt (not saying this is true), then lean on someone like Nelson who we know can play on the right. Maybe you go a bit more defensive on the right to guard against the counter since you're bound to have Pozuelo, Soteldo, and the striker(s) pushing forward.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a number of things you can do here. My thought is Soteldo plays on the left and Pozuelo plays in the #10 spot. Delgado technically plays on the right but that’s entirely misleading if you just look at a formation because 1) he’s not going to be as advanced as Soteldo, 2) is there to cover for Layrea who we want to get forward 3) Pozuelo will occasionally drift into that space and use it as he sees fit.

A huge chunk of the highlights of Soteldo are him cutting in off the left hand side. Basically looks like his office.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe the old AC Milan Christmas Tree?

They had Kaka, Seedorf, Ronaldinho (others I am probably forgetting) at AM and used two AMs for years, to pretty devastating effect...
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both teams that own Yefe's rights (Santos and Huachipato) agreed to the terms of the transfer. Now we await the official announcement. Likely tomorrow or Monday.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Santos FC official site:

Published on April 24, 2021 by Santos FC. This morning (April 24), Santos Futebol Clube agreed to sell the athlete Soteldo to Toronto FC, from Canada, the team that disputes the Eastern Conference of Major League Soccer (MLS). With the transfer, Peixe obtained the release of the Transfer Ban, imposed by FIFA precisely for the debt with Huachipato, of Chile, for the purchase of the Venezuelan striker. Clube Santos transferred its part of the sale to the Chilean team and will pay US $ 500 thousand, to pay off the total amount, divided in installments as of June. In addition, the businessmen will not receive commission for this sale and the player has waived his payments due for the termination of the contract. It was also agreed that Santos will be entitled to 12.5% ​​of a future sale of the athlete, in case he is permanently transferred to a club outside the MLS. For the president of Santos FC, Andres Rueda, the sale of Soteldo was important, as it ended a financial pending issue, which prevented the Club from hiring, Transferban. “It was a proposal that Huachipato also accepted and, mainly, that the athlete wanted. We couldn't handle Soteldo, given this scenario. In fact, Santos bought, but never paid, ”said Rueda. "With this Transfer Ban resolved, we opened a window so that we can consider the occasional hiring, within the financial responsibility that we assume in the Club, of athletes to strengthen the squad, given the participation in many competitions simultaneously", highlights the president. Yeferson Soteldo, 23, arrived at Santos in January 2019, coming from Universidad de Chile, and soon became an idol, especially among children. He scored his first goal with the mythical shirt 10 on January 24, in Paulistão. To date there have been 104 matches for Peixe, swinging the nets 20 times. “We have to thank Soteldo for this period at Santos, which brought us so much joy and his combativeness on the field. We would certainly like you to stay longer and make history with our shirt. We wish you luck in your new club, ”concluded Rueda. Posted in: News Tagged as: santos fc, Soteldo
    Well, we got our DP. Seems to be a player that can create a ton and will be exciting to watch. Hopefully he will create a good bond with the guys at the club right away. Definitely seems like a really positive move by Curtis and Manning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    from santos fc official site:

Well, we got our dp. Seems to be a player that can create a ton and will be exciting to watch. Hopefully he will create a good bond with the guys at the club right away. Definitely seems like a really positive move by curtis and manning.
    let's gooo!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Santos officially posting about the sale might push the announcement up. If Manning or Curtis were smart they would ask for a couple minutes of TV time and announce Soteldo on TSN leading into the game today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My question is can he just us now before the May 2nd window is up or do we have to wait until the July window ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    My question is can he just us now before the May 2nd window is up or do we have to wait until the July window ?
    He can join us now. We are in our transfer window which means he can be registered for all current competitions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Santos officially posting about the sale might push the announcement up. If Manning or Curtis were smart they would ask for a couple minutes of TV time and announce Soteldo on TSN leading into the game today.
    Yes please. This is a big deal, the club should use the opportunity to do some promoting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's quite an investment by MLSE. This is a long term statement of intent about this team.

Edit: Going through the supporters responses to the Santos annoucement - seems a well liked man who gave his all for the team, had a lot of fun on and off that they will miss

His nickname is
    pipoqueiro

The popcorn seller
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 04-24-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely delighted with this