Page 64 of 75 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2246
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Can't be on the roster until next season, no harm in it.
    My worry is that it could mean a status quo approach by the FO.

One more kick at the can with the 2017 type roster with a couple tweaks. We'll also probably go on a bit of a run now that the season is tanked like we did at the end of 2018 and that might mean we'll have another year of Curtis and maybe even Gonzalez. Perez probably back too then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    My worry is that it could mean a status quo approach by the FO.

One more kick at the can with the 2017 type roster with a couple tweaks. We'll also probably go on a bit of a run now that the season is tanked like we did at the end of 2018 and that might mean we'll have another year of Curtis and maybe even Gonzalez. Perez probably back too then.
    Oh if Curtis is back I have every concern it’ll be half assed.

But I think he’s done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I think he’s done.
    If Curtis is around I’m putting my dollars into York9 or Forge next year. I’ll catch the highlights of the TFC losses on Twitter.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Can't be on the roster until next season, no harm in it. If he came in at a regular salary, maybe he adapts to being more of a Victor Vasquez type playmaker.

He's been quite effective at LA (although injured now, I think) but from the couple of games I watched is far less mobile than he was here, mostly camping just outside the box and then slipping balls to whoever's got the best look.

As long as Seba isn't our striker reinforcement, have at 'er. Good for the club's legacy.
    Seba is a great player, but I don't think he's the type of player who can make that adjustment.

IMO - Bringing in Seba is an attempt to recreate the full package "2015 Seba" by combining the speed and movement of Soteldo with the finish of Seba.

This does two things IMO

- It will lessen the criticism of what Soteldo lacks - which is finish. I guess you can say it also helps display what he's capable of doing with the right pieces in play.
    - it gives us a creative attacker who can work inside the 18 yard box and can receive what Soteldo provides.

It doesn't matter if Seba can't run anymore, because Soteldo will be doing all of that hard work.
    Seba just needs to be in the 18 yard box when that low cross comes in. That is what Soteldo excels in. Low crosses - not those high in the air things he attempts to do.

This move would give Manning and Co about a year to go and find an actual legit DP Striker who can interplay with Soteldo.
    Lets hope they don't fuck it up like they did with finding a CB replacement for Omar and rely on Seba for longer than that.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 09-21-2021 at 08:42 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disagree re general striker comment/discussion.

I could see him becoming an MLS version of Super Pippo. A poacher.

He was always very positionally aware.

I think there is no scenario where he is a sub for Soteldo or Poz. At his age, he can't have those kind of marking/running responsibilities.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Disagree re general striker comment/discussion.

I could see him becoming an MLS version of Super Pippo. A poacher.

He was always very positionally aware.

I think there is no scenario where he is a sub for Soteldo or Poz. At his age, he can't have those kind of marking/running responsibilities.
    I didn't say he was a sub for them. Both Soteldo and Poz would be doing all the work and feeding the ball into the box - where Seba will be operating.
    he's not making big runs...his runs are going to be short - 20-25m at most. Even that is a lot.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 09-21-2021 at 08:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel like the wider tactical implications aren’t being considered when we don’t even have a manager for next year. Starting Seba means playing the ball on the ground and reduced traditional wing play, even with a second striker. Not to mention that it would make half of Soteldo’s game (crossing the ball) null and void.

I’m convinced that if this team had a 2015 Kei Kamara type striker or even Zardes then Soteldo would lead the league in assists (TAM level guy, tall and strong, who scores tap ins).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But I think he’s done.
    I want to agree but that stupid extension Manning signed him to makes me fear he's going to get one more, last chance year. I hope not but I have a sinking feeling...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    I want to agree but that stupid extension Manning signed him to makes me fear he's going to get one more, last chance year. I hope not but I have a sinking feeling...
    I figured he was 100% gone but now with this Giovinco re-signing it looks like another kick at the can. I can't see Manning change a GM & manager just to run it back for another shot. Makes no sense. You make that move when you're going full rebuild and I don't see Giovinco coming aboard for a full rebuild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I feel like the wider tactical implications aren’t being considered when we don’t even have a manager for next year. Starting Seba means playing the ball on the ground and reduced traditional wing play, even with a second striker. Not to mention that it would make half of Soteldo’s game (crossing the ball) null and void.

I’m convinced that if this team had a 2015 Kei Kamara type striker or even Zardes then Soteldo would lead the league in assists (TAM level guy, tall and strong, who scores tap ins).
    Yeah I agree. We need someone who can hold up the ball and compete to get on the end of service into the box.

Signing Seba doesn’t address any of our needs. It’s just nostalgia and a distraction for those in charge to keep their jobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think a big part of the interest in this deal is actual what comes after.
    From what I've heard, Giovinco's family wants to stay in Canada long-term, and he does as well.
    This deal sounds like he is interested in following in the footsteps of De Rosario, having a long-term relationship with the Club after retirement.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wopchop View Post
    I think a big part of the interest in this deal is actual what comes after.
    From what I've heard, Giovinco's family wants to stay in Canada long-term, and he does as well.
    This deal sounds like he is interested in following in the footsteps of De Rosario, having a long-term relationship with the Club after retirement.

It always makes me happy when I hear shit like this. It means we're doing something right in this city.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At this point why not just re-sign Giovinco? We're rebuilding now anyway ... it will be good to have some flash and pizzazz on the pitch next year as we struggle around mid-table but nurture and bring through the young guys.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    At this point why not just re-sign Giovinco? We're rebuilding now anyway ... it will be good to have some flash and pizzazz on the pitch next year as we struggle around mid-table but nurture and bring through the young guys.
    My main concern is that it means we aren't rebuilding but rather tweaking the corpse of 2017 in hopes of mustering another 2019.

And that probably means Curtis stays.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main concern is that it means we aren't rebuilding but rather tweaking the corpse of 2017 in hopes of mustering another 2019.

And that probably means Curtis stays.
    If Seba can sign with TAM, and we get a new DP, and Bradley retires too ... that will be enough rebuilding for me to justify Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Seba can sign with TAM, and we get a new DP, and Bradley retires too ... that will be enough rebuilding for me to justify Giovinco.
    What about the CB situation?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    What about the CB situation?
    Manning never mentioned defense in his interview. It's all about firepower.

Our defense is apparently fine.
    Our team speed is also fine.
    Our amount of injuries also fine.

No worries. We can do this for another few years. 2017 forever!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You don't need Bradley to retire. He's still very valuable - as seen from the last Canadian Championship match.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    You don't need Bradley to retire. He's still very valuable - as seen from the last Canadian Championship match.
    He is still useful but he really should be on Delgado type money now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Curtis likes to add players in positions that are not of need. It reminds me of one of the criticisms of Bryan Colangelo (former Raptors GM). I remember someone made this picture.

It fits perfectly. Curtis tries to add a new unnecessary deck (ie. Solteldo, Lawrence), instead of fixing the house that is crumbling (CB,ST, etc)
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-24-2021 at 12:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Curtis likes to add players in positions that are not of need. It reminds me of one of the criticisms of Bryan Colangelo (former Raptors GM). I remember someone made this picture.

It fits perfectly. Curtis tries to add a new unnecessary deck (ie. Solteldo, Lawrence), instead of fixing the house that is crumbling (CB,ST, etc)
    lol i remember seeing that on realgm back in the day. soteldo was needed as the teams wingers are absolute trash but yeah auro and richie were doing well as fullbacks and can play either side so adding lawrence didnt really make sense with the garbage at CB outside of mavinga. when we added soteldo we had ayo and jozy at striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn’t necessarily say those positions weren’t needed. We’ve been crying out for a FW since forever and there was no obvious choice at LB unless we rotate Laryea or Auro to the other side.

The issue is, he waited so long to address the problems bigger needs developed, haha.

I would also argue he also got the order specs wrong. At fullback, he completely blew his brains out on Lawrence when a middle of the road option would have sufficed. We didn’t need a secondary playmaker like Solteldo, we needed someone who puts the ball in the net.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 09-24-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry guys, Giovinco will cure all our defensive and offensive troubles. He was really great 5 years ago. Don't forget to buy your season tickets!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He is still useful but he really should be on Delgado type money now.
    Ya I won't argue that. His next deal won't be TAM. What was Cheyrou on? something like that maybe

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lawrence was the answer to Morrow's decline. So I'd call BS on that one.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Molinaro, Endoh is out for the season with a leg issue of some sort.

&

Peruzza has back issues that leave him unable to train some days. He's only 20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol at the Twitter rumors of Pirlo and TFC.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Lol at the Twitter rumors of Pirlo and TFC.

By the looks of things that is just Totera making up stuff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endoh had surgery a few days ago, gone for the season but expected to be fully recovered after 3 months-the actual injury wasn't specified in the release i saw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    By the looks of things that is just Totera making up stuff
    Is that who it came from? I just assumed it came from group think based on Giovinco probably coming back so Italian player must mean Italian coach.