Page 53 of 75 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Does anyone really know why we spent money on Dwyer
    Because our GM is so legitimately up his own ass that he's working on a three- or four-year old knowledge and understanding of MLS?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it's been two weeks already. Time flies.

https://www.torontofc.ca/news/toront...ePAXs4R-MLWdZc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post

Man, to be a fly on the wall when Manning and Curtis are talking...

EDIT: My hope at this point is that Manning is smart enough to be paying attention to all parties. The best bosses I ever had neither hung their decisions on their own opinions nor on those of a narrow sampling. They respected that demographically and in terms of personality, everyone offers something.
    Last edited by jloome; 08-09-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm glad to see he's been announced as the permanent coach till the end of the season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the FO waited until we are last in the league to announce this,great timing,ali and billy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    So the FO waited until we are last in the league to announce this,great timing,ali and billy
    In media, this is a rather lame attempt at "changing the narrative." All people are talking about is a) lack of transfer moves b) Perez subbing Bradley and Altidore, saving us a draw. Which do you think they would like people to focus on?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or maybe...a hiring for the rest of the year makes sense in and of itself. (sometimes a cigar etc. etc.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Or maybe...a hiring for the rest of the year makes sense in and of itself. (sometimes a cigar etc. etc.)
    It made sense July 7th but it took a month to do the obvious as usual.

Besides, who thinks that Curtis, if he has any influence anymore, could hire a new manager before the second half of the 2021 season finished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Perez has been quite good since taking over for Armas. He does deserve to see this through for the rest of the season. I also do not trust Ali Curtis to be involved in another coaching search.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not the decision, which they had already made. The announcement.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I think Perez has been quite good since taking over for Armas. He does deserve to see this through for the rest of the season. I also do not trust Ali Curtis to be involved in another coaching search.
    If he is in charge of it I bet it will be a 'Seven month exhaustive search through many high profile candidates spanning the globe. After countless interviews we are thrilled to announce Ben Olsen as manager. He has the experience and tactical acumen to return this team to it's trophy chasing ways".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he is in charge of it I bet it will be a 'Seven month exhaustive search through many high profile candidates spanning the globe. After countless interviews we are thrilled to announce Ben Olsen as manager. He has the experience and tactical acumen to return this team to it's trophy chasing ways".
    Also that we still haven't signed any defenders, but that BMO is "embued with the spirit of former Irish international Darren O'Dea, and as we all know, he is strong proponent of defensive soccer."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Also that we still haven't signed any defenders, but that BMO is "embued with the spirit of former Irish international Darren O'Dea, and as we all know, he is strong proponent of defensive soccer."
    "We have completed an exhaustive seven month search for centre backs to implemement the vision of what TFC football is; ball playing, high tempo, aggressive, and smart. We have found our ideal defender in Ryan Shawcross. We look forwrad to what he brings to the pitch for TFC in 2022 and beyond".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    yup he pushed them all the way to last place in the league,maybe armas could of done the same,the prob for me has been curtis.
    i m ok with perez,we had a good 2nd half,but hardly world beaters,let see what happens saturday when we have our 2 and a 1/2 dps,the half is jozy not yefe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yup he pushed them all the way to last place in the league,maybe armas could of done the same,the prob for me has been curtis.
    i m ok with perez,we had a good 2nd half,but hardly world beaters,let see what happens saturday when we have our 2 and a 1/2 dps,the half is jozy not yefe.
    But isn’t the good news that we made changes and that spurred a large change in second half performance? I struggle to think of many examples when even Vanney was able to do this (acknowledge the roster limitations sometimes forced his hand in this area).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    But isn’t the good news that we made changes and that spurred a large change in second half performance? I struggle to think of many examples when even Vanney was able to do this (acknowledge the roster limitations sometimes forced his hand in this area).
    yes it was great to watch,moving the ball fast more direct than side to side, part of it was ny not not pressing has much with the 2 nil lead lets see if he has the guts to start the same 2nd half lineup.i doubt it,

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets see if he has the guts to start the same 2nd half lineup.i doubt it,
    If he does I will be both surprised and impressed.

I hope he does it. Pulling the right strings, getting better results, and pleasing the supporters is better than towing the company line and getting sacked because we're trash. Either way I say he is gone at season's end unless lazy Ali gets to choose the manager and he can't be arsed to do interviews. This is a good audition for Perez going forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We look competitive in certain circumstances that Armas couldn't create or duplicate if they did manage to happen.

Worth the up for the end of the year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If he does I will be both surprised and impressed.

I hope he does it. Pulling the right strings, getting better results, and pleasing the supporters is better than towing the company line and getting sacked because we're trash. Either way I say he is gone at season's end unless lazy Ali gets to choose the manager and he can't be arsed to do interviews. This is a good audition for Perez going forward.
    Without a doubt it’s the big question at the moment.

I can see the argument, that for the sake of team unity, you don’t just suddenly demote Altidore and Bradley. But I think mid game rotations / subs should be par for the course with Priso and Achara getting the odd start is fair. If the understudies out perform the vets, the story writes itself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Without a doubt it’s the big question at the moment.

I can see the argument, that for the sake of team unity, you don’t just suddenly demote Altidore and Bradley. But I think mid game rotations / subs should be par for the course with Priso and Achara getting the odd start is fair. If the understudies out perform the vets, the story writes itself.
    For me the bigger question will be what is the winning formula here and how long will it take for us to get there? I know what worked last game but it doesn't mean it'll work this game

Do you:

Start Achara / Priso
    Bring Altidore / Bradley in as subs

Start Bradley / Altidore
    Bring Priso / Achara in as subs

Start Bradley / Achara
    Bring Priso / Altidore in as subs

There are pros and cons for all. We'll see what sticks.

My hunch is the last combo. Achara can take on fresh defenders. He has the pace. Altidore needs to be up against a tired defence in order to be effective. Priso can offset Altidore's lack of pace.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 08-10-2021 at 12:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    For me the bigger question will be what is the winning formula here and how long will it take for us to get there? I know what worked last game but it doesn't mean it'll work this game

Do you:

Start Achara / Priso

Start Bradley / Altidore

Start Bradley / Achara

My hunch is the last combo. Achara can take on fresh defenders. He has the pace. Altidore needs to be up against a tired defence in order to be effective. Priso can offset Altidore's lack of pace.
    Or you start Bradley Priso and sub Delgado in for Bradley. Or Move Oso there. Lots of different combinations could work.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Or you start Bradley Priso and sub Delgado in for Bradley. Or Move Oso there. Lots of different combinations could work.
    yup - those are also options.
    Lots of tinkering to find the best combo - only half a season to do it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes of course a hiring for the rest of the year makes sense here. Perez seems like a good choice for now.

What's really bizarre though is waiting 5 1/2 weeks after Armas' firing to announce him officially as the interim coach. Seems more evidence of lack of planning, as well as slow & laboured decision-making by Curtis (& Manning?). Were they really surprised that Armas might have to go? Often organizations already have an interim-in-waiting lined up from the start; or at least identify one as soon as things start going south. Most teams that I can think of where the coach/manager left during the season, announced the interim within a day or two of the firing or resignation.

Perez has already showed plenty of independence of thought during his very tenuous situation up to now. (Beforehand many were concerned he would just follow in Armas' footsteps; that hasn't been the case.) I expect he'll be even more adventurous now that he got the interim tag for the rest of the season, and that will hopefully affect roster decisions around Altidore, Bradley and more. Depending on the opponent and overall workload, both Bradley and Altidore may be better as super-subs than starting. It might also be nice to have Achara and Altidore overlap for 10 minutes, let's say from the 60th to the 70th minute, for some real ruckus up front.

I hope we don't expect too much from Priso either. I think we'll see some screw-ups in between great play. I hope the knives don't come out immediately in that case.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you:

Start Achara / Priso

Start Bradley / Altidore

Start Bradley / Achara

Since we're on course to break records with goals allowed in the first 30 minutes of matches I think we need to shore us up earlier rather than always depend on coming back.

I would start Priso & Achara and use Jozy as a late game sub as needed. Bradley possibly as a late match situational sub but used in the position Armas had him in as the high presser.

I would let Delgado and Osorio do their double pivot that worked well last year and give Priso some leeway to ball chase.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Since we're on course to break records with goals allowed in the first 30 minutes of matches I think we need to shore us up earlier rather than always depend on coming back.

I would start Priso & Achara and use Jozy as a late game sub as needed. Bradley possibly as a late match situational sub but used in the position Armas had him in as the high presser.

I would let Delgado and Osorio do their double pivot that worked well last year and give Priso some leeway to ball chase.

That Oso / Delgado pivot was key to our success last season. When Delgado got injured, that was when we started to slip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Oso / Delgado pivot was key to our success last season. When Delgado got injured, that was when we started to slip.
    This is what boggles my mind. After Poz this was the biggest part of our success last year.

Have we gone back to it yet ? Noooope

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what boggles my mind. After Poz this was the biggest part of our success last year.

Have we gone back to it yet ? Noooope
    But that's mostly in part to the unwritten rule that an even remotely healthy Bradley must go the full 90 no matter what.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But that's mostly in part to the unwritten rule that an even remotely healthy Bradley must go the full 90 no matter what.
    Oh I hear you, that’s definitely the sticking point. I’m still shocked how far this team has to fall to even consider breaking the unwritten rule. Chris Armas was tanking this team (and by extension, his career) and he still couldn’t fathom a starting midfield without Bradley.

The coach / executive ranks in this league have gotten rather insular and the American Talent is perhaps not over rated in all cases but it is over valued. You can just picture the discussions inside the TFC board room about “USMNT and LA Galaxy alum Omar Gonzalez”. Those guys (Curtis and Manning) are all from a system where that experience is prized and supposed to mean something. Omar can’t possibly be terrible, look where he’s played!

It requires someone like Perez, with a bit of an outside perspective, to see things for what they really are and free us of some of this dogma.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh I hear you, that’s definitely the sticking point. I’m still shocked how far this team has to fall to even consider breaking the unwritten rule. Chris Armas was tanking this team (and by extension, his career) and he still couldn’t fathom a starting midfield without Bradley.

The coach / executive ranks in this league have gotten rather insular and the American Talent is perhaps not over rated in all cases but it is over valued. You can just picture the discussions inside the TFC board room about “USMNT and LA Galaxy alum Omar Gonzalez”. Those guys (Curtis and Manning) are all from a system where that experience is prized and supposed to mean something. Omar can’t possibly be terrible, look where he’s played!

It requires someone like Perez, with a bit of an outside perspective, to see things for what they really are and free us of some of this dogma.
    I just wonder if he has the stuff to see it though. Halftime subs in a game we were getting hammered in is one thing but omitting him from the starting XI in the next match would be a big move. Like I said earlier, if I were Perez I would do it. Might as well go down swinging with your best shot and try to get some job credability going forward. No matter if he is re-signed or not, if he pulled some ballsy moves like that and we managed to squeak in the playoffs then he will get a gig somewhere afterwards for sure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bradley can still be a productive starter for TFC. Just not a productive starter for 90 minutes every single game. I feel like the first few games of this season (and last season when he returned from injury) he always looked very strong and quick. As the games add up and the miles build he just doesn't have it anymore. Rotating through Delgado, Priso, Bradley and Osorio should hopefully be able to keep all of them fresh as the season goes on.