Page 48 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 2246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Why did we let go Nick Hagglund again? That's like one of the dumbest things this club has done the past few years.
    Because Cinci gave us 2-3x more allocation money than he was actually worth. It was actually one of our best moves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was Omar worth it over Hagglund? Not really.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Was Omar worth it over Hagglund? Not really.
    You watch many Cinci matches?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only things Hagglund does well is grow a wonderful head of hair and jump really high.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the allocation money for Nick was a great deal. Picking up Omar not so much, considering the salary for a CB and how he’s regressed since coming here. But that’s a separate issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I do think there are guys out there like Jamie Vardy and Camillo Sanvezzo, playing at lower levels and not getting the break. But they're pretty rare these days. Perhaps we need to be more adventurous and do some serious African, Eastern European scouting, where even prospects are given dirt pay until someone bigger comes along.
    The bolded part, big time!
    Countries like Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria, Makedonia, Belarus, even Hungary and Slovakia.
    (But not countries where the footy level is shit, like the 3 small Baltic states.)

I think that in the named countries our scouting is a big zero.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    You watch many Cinci matches?

They had one decent match against us but apart from that, their defence is a sieve.

And even then, Nick doesn't start most games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Because Cinci gave us 2-3x more allocation money than he was actually worth. It was actually one of our best moves
    It’s right up there for Curtis’ best move to date.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was checking out the loan columns in the British sports pages and noticed the last week has been the start of the youth loan exodus from Spurs, Chelsea, Man Utd etc.

Surely there's a competitive young central defender, ala Gallacher from Liverpool (about to sign with Sunderland in League One, incidentally) -- that we could borrow and pay some wages on until the end of the year.

I have this terrifying feeling that maybe Curtis isn't really ever paying much attention to our reality, that he has his own somewhat distorted image of what TFC's roster is and is capable of, and thinks Gonzalez is still a decent defender.

I mean, if he's watching the games on TV he got to hear Kevin Kilbane repeatedly say "another big mistake from Gonzalez" more frequently than most cable channels have commercial breaks, so you'd think not.

But there's not a peep out there right now about us making a move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this the last year on Omar's contract?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have this terrifying feeling that maybe Curtis isn't really ever paying much attention to our reality, that he has his own somewhat distorted image of what TFC's roster is and is capable of, and thinks Gonzalez is still a decent defender.

I mean, if he's watching the games on TV he got to hear Kevin Kilbane repeatedly say "another big mistake from Gonzalez" more frequently than most cable channels have commercial breaks, so you'd think not.

But there's not a peep out there right now about us making a move.
    It's because we've flukily managed to get points with Perez. If the dead cat bounce wears off in August then we'll have a wide eyed Curtis up on a podium again saying stuff like "Who could have saw this happening after we turned the corner in July". The answer as usual is everyone except him and maybe Manning but I think Manning knows, he's just too busy doing other business for MLSE to commit the time to TFC that's needed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Yes, but Curtis could always re-sign him. It would be a lot easier than having to actually do his job and find players.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but Curtis could always re-sign him. It would be a lot easier than having to actually do his job and find players.
    I’m pretty sure Curtis’s plan is to have the kids all become starters so he doesn’t have to sign anyone. Regardless of reality.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    You mean just like he extended Jozy's contract instead of finding a younger, healthier player to spend mega DP wages on?

Nah, Curtis would never do something like that.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You mean just like he extended Jozy's contract instead of finding a younger, healthier player to spend mega DP wages on?

Nah, Curtis would never do something like that.
    They seemed so surprised by Seba and, to a lesser extent, VV leaving with a year left on the contracts, when renegotiating at this time is normal in most countries (because it benefits club and player) that they had to re-sign Jozy. Personally I liked it at the time so I am not going to criticize now, but the surprise at normal events seems to be a constant. I don’t know if Manning amd Curtis are not substantive; if we have insufficient scouting; can’t develop players OR??? but the outcome is that they don’t give confidence in their ability to recruit and retain the right players

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    They seemed so surprised by Seba and, to a lesser extent, VV leaving with a year left on the contracts, when renegotiating at this time is normal in most countries (because it benefits club and player) that they had to re-sign Jozy. Personally I liked it at the time so I am not going to criticize now, but the surprise at normal events seems to be a constant. I don’t know if Manning amd Curtis are not substantive; if we have insufficient scouting; can’t develop players OR??? but the outcome is that they don’t give confidence in their ability to recruit and retain the right players
    Well, don’t look now, but we’re coming up on the last year of Pozuelo’s contract.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does anyone know when gonzalez's contract is up?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    does anyone know when gonzalez's contract is up?
    This is the end of it I believe. But like I said, I could see Curtis giving him a 1+1 as it's an easier job than looking for a new guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well, don’t look now, but we’re coming up on the last year of Pozuelo’s contract.
    Now that TFC is back in Toronto full time, I'll be tracking what his family does. His wife and kids (including the new born) are still in Spain. If they make the move to come back to Toronto I think he's serious about wanting to stay in Toronto. If they stay in Spain I think he's looking to move back to Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the end of it I believe. But like I said, I could see Curtis giving him a 1+1 as it's an easier job than looking for a new guy.
    I think TFC has a team option on OG for next season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh dear god, i dont even want to think about that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Now that TFC is back in Toronto full time, I'll be tracking what his family does. His wife and kids (including the new born) are still in Spain. If they make the move to come back to Toronto I think he's serious about wanting to stay in Toronto. If they stay in Spain I think he's looking to move back to Europe.
    Good call. Maybe they know and it’s why Soteldo was such a priority.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    I think TFC has a team option on OG for next season.
    The obvious easy choice will be to exercise the option.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris Armas was basically doing the equivalent of running over our dreams for this season and then backing up just to make sure he squashed anything that was remaining. And it still took an embarrassing blowout for the club to get off its ass and make a change.

Curtis will hide from this mistake with Omar too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC II player getting some attention in Spain.

https://www.sport.es/es/noticias/mls...uenos-11953703

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'd laugh but they will say that about Achara.
    Minute 20. I shit you not.

"He's an addition we're really excited about."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtoT-qkOGXE

He also says he's super pumped about the rest of the roster. Zero acknowledgement of the league's worst defense so far.

Claims there's potential room for a move in the window, which means there will be no move in the window... then directs it back to "super exciting" Achara.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. Is he completely disingenuous or just clueless?

He thinks we have a ton of viable backups to Jozy, cites Mullins and Dwyer.

The dude just has an MLS 1.0 brain, he doesn't get that journeymen can't be slotted in for serious minutes in this league anymore.
    Last edited by jloome; 07-29-2021 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Manning has decided it would be too great a risk to let him trade a Delgado type player for a CB.

Curtis does not have much authority is my sense. Manning is likely doing his own thorough management search behind the scenes, everyone already expects this year to be lost so why let the GM make a boneheaded move.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That the backline is an obvious shit show is being hidden by 2 wins where we barely held on & 2 draws.

"As long as we win, we don't care about getting players better" is a way more deeply held view in North American soccer then just the development world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minute 20. I shit you not.

"He's an addition we're really excited about."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtoT-qkOGXE

He also says he's super pumped about the rest of the roster. Zero acknowledgement of the league's worst defense so far.

Claims there's potential room for a move in the window, which means there will be no move in the window... then directs it back to "super exciting" Achara.

Jesus Tapdancing Christ. Is he completely disingenuous or just clueless?

He thinks we have a ton of viable backups to Jozy, cites Mullins and Dwyer.

The dude just has an MLS 1.0 brain, he doesn't get that journeymen can't be slotted in for serious minutes in this league anymore.
    In my opinion, what we have here is someone who is not bad at scouting talent but he’s completely out of his depth as GM.

It’s a bit of a joke we hired him for this job in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    In my opinion, what we have here is someone who is not bad at scouting talent but he’s completely out of his depth as GM.

It’s a bit of a joke we hired him for this job in the first place.
    As various folks have noted, they once played together. So that bias existed before Manning considered his Red Bull term. I cant see how he would've gotten a shot again immediately at this level without that connection.

It's pretty damning when you hire a coach, Marsch, that coach then disagrees with you and the ownership group sides with the coach, not the GM.

You might be generous on the talent scouting end; his latest interview suggests he think the defense is just fine.