Page 46 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 2246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I disagree about Omar - his first year, he was good, and things worked better once he arrived. Now, though, obviously not.

I made another point in another thread and got roundly criticized, but I don't see how Poz and Soteldo can both be at their best when they both need the ball all the time. It's another example of a poorly constructed roster - I hope they sort it out but so far signs aren't good. It's clear that we need a CB and now a striker and to bring in those something has to give given we are at the cap, and the place we are overloaded is in the midfield.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I think we can go the season with Omar and still go pretty far, assuming we can dig ourselves out of the hole we dug and make the playoffs. The defense has looked much better the past couple of games just keeping their shape and having the DMs actually protect them. NY really didn't have any clear chances other than the howler goal we gave them which we let in every game. I'm with Jabbronies that an organizing keeper would have a bigger impact than taking flyers on central defenders. If Westberg even could get back to health we'd be ok. In the off season let Omar's contract go and focus on a keeper and a central defender.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I disagree about Omar - his first year, he was good, and things worked better once he arrived. Now, though, obviously not.

I made another point in another thread and got roundly criticized, but I don't see how Poz and Soteldo can both be at their best when they both need the ball all the time. It's another example of a poorly constructed roster - I hope they sort it out but so far signs aren't good. It's clear that we need a CB and now a striker and to bring in those something has to give given we are at the cap, and the place we are overloaded is in the midfield.

I agree with you on Omar, he was good his first year. Brought stability to the back with Mavinga allowed to run all over. But again, that is likely just another example of why Vanney is a great coach.

You do really have to give up this Soteldo and Poz not working together view though, it just flat out wrong. Messi, Xavi, Ienesta, and Neymar ALL played together at the same time and all wanted the ball at their feet. They were part of one of the best teams in history. No one was saying they should sell all but Messi because it was better for messi to just have the ball more. There are countless examples of why your view on this is just flat out wrong, sorry man.

Edit: To add to Vanney being a good coach, he would be telling Soteldo to limit his runs until he gets into the final third. He should be moving the ball with quick passes (same with Poz) until we hit the final third. The fact he is just keeps going all out once he is in the opposing half just shows we still have a coaching limitation. (not sure we'll ever really replace Vanney in the next few years unfortunately)
    Last edited by Thrillos; 07-23-2021 at 09:52 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo unsettling mids in the middle of the pitch is a threat that in theory should open up lanes for other mids & the forwards - on Wednesday that was really only Dwyer (who wanted to play target man but really shouldn't), Jozy & Poz.

Sooner we get Oso back, the better this will work out.

That having been said, Nashville is going to chop Soteldo down all game long - the Fire this weekend won't but Nashville will as that is what they do to all skill players they come up against.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He looked okay in some games in 2019 but when you put him up against the best opposition, he wasn’t good enough. I think back to the cup final against Seattle we lost and his performance outright stuck out for not being at a high enough level.

For a top paid centre back in MLS, that shouldn’t have been the case. We shouldn’t have this huge trade off that comes with his glacially slow speed and he was on the outs in Mexico for this exact reason. I get MLS is not now and was not then as good as LigaMX but we made poor use of our resources. The league / USMNT crowd were a bit too proud to hear one of their stalwarts wasn’t cutting it and got all gun-ho about hyping his return. There’s definitely a place for him in this league (now and then) but never on a $1.2 million dollar deal and with the expectation of being a top 5 CB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poz was at his best last season when Piatti was also firing on all cylinders. Once Poz and Soteldo find that chemistry any of these complaints will go away. Get the best players you possibly can, put them on the field together and they'll figure it out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Soteldo unsettling mids in the middle of the pitch is a threat that in theory should open up lanes for other mids & the forwards - on Wednesday that was really only Dwyer (who wanted to play target man but really shouldn't), Jozy & Poz.

Sooner we get Oso back, the better this will work out.

That having been said, Nashville is going to chop Soteldo down all game long - the Fire this weekend won't but Nashville will as that is what they do to all skill players they come up against.
    Osorio is a good fit for this (or anything, really) which is why he’s worth his weight in gold. You want someone to slide into space, play quick 1-2’s, create passing options but can also be a threat to attack the net. I think he’s the natural person to put between Solteldo and Poz on the field.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed on both points.

People forget Gonzalez was more than capable last season. We finished a strong second overall with him leading the back line and Westburg in net.
    The last time Bono was the main guy in net was the defensive debacle called the 2018 season.

There's a reason Wetburg was brought in and 2019 and 2020 are the reasons why.

As for Soteldo/Poz - they are tripping over each other. Pozuelo doesn't look like he knows what to do half the time out there. Both of them do the exact same thing on the pitch - move the ball forward and feed the strikers. they just do it in different ways. Soteldo is good - I just don't think he was what we needed.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 07-23-2021 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    As for Soteldo/Poz - they are tripping over each other. Pozuelo doesn't look like he knows what to do half the time out there. Both of them do the exact same thing on the pitch - move the ball forward and feed the strikers. they just do it in different ways. Soteldo is good - I just don't think he was what we needed.
    What we needed was a Willian type player who has all the ability to attack the fullback and pace Soltedlo has, but tracks back more, makes harder runs off the ball, and defers to the #10.

Solteldo wants to be the number 10, was the #10 (for Santos!) and as you said, it’s a lot of overlap with the things Poz tries to do.

But, it’s fair to say it’s early and they could still sort this out.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am hoping Soteldo and Pozuelo are good enough and professional enough to figure out a way to play together. Yeah these early games together, as they figure that stuff out, they had times where they almost trip over each other but this should hopefully be temporary and once they figure out how to click it can be dangerous. The coach also has to help with that as well giving them feedback and ideas based on how he views their roles too and how to improve their effectiveness. If ego comes in for either one or both of them then it could become a little toxic. I am hoping for the best.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made another point in another thread and got roundly criticized, but I don't see how Poz and Soteldo can both be at their best when they both need the ball all the time. It's another example of a poorly constructed roster - I hope they sort it out but so far signs aren't good.
    I disagree that this is a bad thing right now. If they can't figure out how to play together then yes but otherwise having two players who are at their best when the ball is at their feet is ideal as it prevents teams like Nashville last year in the playoffs and Seattle in the 2019 Final from sutting down the one guy who is good with the ball and can make things happen.

Should just move Poz wider to the right and spread the field a bit more although I think when we have Osorio, Laryea, Lawrence, & Jozy all starting with them, things will be a bit different than they are right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    People forget Gonzalez was more than capable last season.

Nah, I disagree. Just an accident waiting to happen, constantly. His cover and read of what's going around him are awful.

If we survived in games despite him, it's because Westberg played eyes and ears for him, the way AJ Delagarza did in LA.

He has always been physically gifted, especially in the air, but he's never been fast and he's never been a good reader of the game. The moment Delagarza left LA he went to shit, he was shit in the Mexican league, and he was shit past about the first five games with us.

Go back and watch the last game. He's a fucking nightmare, all over the back third, no idea of what's going on around him, no pace to catch up when caught out.

The number of goals we've given up just because he doesn't know which post to defend when two runners enter the box should be disqualifying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I disagree that this is a bad thing right now. If they can't figure out how to play together then yes but otherwise having two players who are at their best when the ball is at their feet is ideal as it prevents teams like Nashville last year in the playoffs and Seattle in the 2019 Final from sutting down the one guy who is good with the ball and can make things happen.

Should just move Poz wider to the right and spread the field a bit more although I think when we have Osorio, Laryea, Lawrence, & Jozy all starting with them, things will be a bit different than they are right now.
    Yeah, good call. Imagine playing a full-field press with these two clock-eaters on your team! What an idiot that guy was. I mean, maybe really nice dude and all but....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    What we needed was a Willian type player who has all the ability to attack the fullback and pace Soltedlo has, but tracks back more, makes harder runs off the ball, and defers to the #10.

Solteldo wants to be the number 10, was the #10 (for Santos!) and as you said, it’s a lot of overlap with the things Poz tries to do.

But, it’s fair to say it’s early and they could still sort this out.
    FTR opinion that you replied to is not mine. I don’t why it’s showing up as such. I see no reason why Poz and Soteldo can’t work together in the same XI.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[
    Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    FTR opinion that you replied to is not mine. I don’t why it’s showing up as such. I see no reason why Poz and Soteldo can’t work together in the same XI.
    Whoops, sorry. Having some issue with the milt-quote feature on mobile.

Once it attaches to something it’s hard to get rid of. I meant to delete the quote to your post and leave the other one that had popped up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can talk all we want,we need this we need that,but its still curtis has the GM i think,we will probs run of time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    We can talk all we want,we need this we need that,but its still curtis has the GM i think,we will probs run of time.
    I think we might get a CB because of Manning but it won't be a really good one. Just an average MLS level one whether from MLS or abroad.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we’re screwed with Ayo now out for the season. I’m concerned Jozy will be overplayed until injury. I can’t believe they signed Dwyer. They had him in camp for a while before signing, what the heck did they see in him? I remembered Dwyer tormenting TFC in the past, I was hoping he might still be useful, but he has shown nothing on offence. Any word if/when Achara might be back?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I think we’re screwed with Ayo now out for the season. I’m concerned Jozy will be overplayed until injury. I can’t believe they signed Dwyer. They had him in camp for a while before signing, what the heck did they see in him? I remembered Dwyer tormenting TFC in the past, I was hoping he might still be useful, but he has shown nothing on offence. Any word if/when Achara might be back?
    I wouldn't expect Achara for at least another month.
    Last I heard (a couple weeks ago-ish) he wasn't even training with the team.

Dom Dwyer was a gamble. He has a record of scoring in MLS.
    He's only 7 games back from an an injury that had him out for essentially the entire 2020 season.
    He's shown a couple moments - with no finish.

There's a good chance he gets added to the list of failed gambles by Curtis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It always felt like he scored against TFC, and has a great record through his career. But I would like to see some evidence of it in a red shirt, nothing to inspire us just yet.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overplayed basically equals using as a normal DP minus a bunch of early season matches.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember seeing something about Poz playing quite a bit on the right side in Belgium. Maybe the answer to the Poz-Soteldo problem is a 4-3-3 with Sotedo-Altidore-Pozuelo in front. Also solves the midfield issue, so Oso, Delgado, and Bradley can all be on the field at the same time, There’s also fairly appropriate backups in almost every position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I remember seeing something about Poz playing quite a bit on the right side in Belgium. Maybe the answer to the Poz-Soteldo problem is a 4-3-3 with Sotedo-Altidore-Pozuelo in front. Also solves the midfield issue, so Oso, Delgado, and Bradley can all be on the field at the same time, There’s also fairly appropriate backups in almost every position.
    Suggested that when they signed Soltedo; a few people pointed out he prefers to play inside.

Osorio was really good in his one wide appearance, scored a great goal.

But I agree it would make sense; not sure it will happen as they like Poz setting stuff up in both directions.

I'd like to see Shaffelburg start over Endoh tomorrow. Tsubasa's done okay but we'll be playing against 36-year-old Jonathan Bornstein at fullback tomorrow, and whether he and Soteldo play left or right (they're both two-footed, which helps) they should utterly terrorize him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillos View Post
    I agree with you on Omar, he was good his first year. Brought stability to the back with Mavinga allowed to run all over. But again, that is likely just another example of why Vanney is a great coach.

You do really have to give up this Soteldo and Poz not working together view though, it just flat out wrong. Messi, Xavi, Ienesta, and Neymar ALL played together at the same time and all wanted the ball at their feet. They were part of one of the best teams in history. No one was saying they should sell all but Messi because it was better for messi to just have the ball more. There are countless examples of why your view on this is just flat out wrong, sorry man.

Edit: To add to Vanney being a good coach, he would be telling Soteldo to limit his runs until he gets into the final third. He should be moving the ball with quick passes (same with Poz) until we hit the final third. The fact he is just keeps going all out once he is in the opposing half just shows we still have a coaching limitation. (not sure we'll ever really replace Vanney in the next few years unfortunately)
    “You do really have to give up this Soteldo and Poz not working together view though, “

I hope you are right. That’s been the case so far, and of course doesn’t necessarily have to be the case. But as a day one supporter it’s hard not to worry….

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Osorio is a good fit for this (or anything, really) which is why he’s worth his weight in gold. You want someone to slide into space, play quick 1-2’s, create passing options but can also be a threat to attack the net. I think he’s the natural person to put between Solteldo and Poz on the field.
    Yes, that might be the key to unlocking the potential that is obviously there. I hope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was a poor signing, I’ll say it. For what we paid we could have done a lot better. He wasn’t worth the money at the point the ink on that contract dried and he hasn’t exactly improved since then.
    I fully agree with your take!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Overplayed basically equals using as a normal DP minus a bunch of early season matches.
    It is what it is now, unless they plan to trade Jozy during the summer window, but it really doesn't look like that (and probably not really possible as they would have to eat most of his salary, which doesn't clear cap room). So they have to deal with what they have. If Jozy comes in the 60th minute of every game and scores a goal, that would be OK with me. It would also be nice to see Ayo and Jozy out together for 10-20 minutes. But all that's not possible with Ayo out for the rest of the season.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we have less then 2 weeks left in this transfer window & not a single peep or hint of anything being done. Maybe good we are not hearing leaks but we got issues that need to be resolved in the back.

If this brain trust comes out of this window saying "oh, we are OK in the back" they are either blind or lying.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, that might be the key to unlocking the potential that is obviously there. I hope.
    Fingers crossed, I think Osorio will be great but we should also consider some sort of backup option when he’s not available. There’s just something about his skill set Delgado and Bradley do not cover when he’s not in the lineup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So we have less then 2 weeks left in this transfer window & not a single peep or hint of anything being done. Maybe good we are not hearing leaks but we got issues that need to be resolved in the back.

If this brain trust comes out of this window saying "oh, we are OK in the back" they are either blind or lying.
    They're going to say that the players coming back from the Gold Cup are essentially our transfer additions