Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished reading the Molinaro with Ali Curtis.

Honestly, I used to love reading articles featuring Tim Bez, but Ali says nothing in every answer. Beyond his "I don't view it as a problem" platitudes about Jozy, his support of Armas is embarrassing.

I miss Vanney so much...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Here's proof the article was editted. Here is the archive view from yesterday

https://web.archive.org/web/20210602...u-pied-du-mur/

Here is the current version:
    http://www.actufoot.com/national/que...u-pied-du-mur/

So, it's not that the article was poorly translated. The article was altered after the fact. Maybe the new article is what was supposed to be written, but it is definitely not what was written last night.

The original dead link appears to be the same as the original version of the article at the new link:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ca
    This is what I thought I had read the other day. From the archieved version he basically says "I don't know where we're going". Of course that statement is ambiguous and surely the revision will refer to the fact that he begins his answer with having been re-located but he expresses not knowing where we're going after having stated the club feels different and he immediatley talks about the change in tactics after. Lost in translation certainly seems like a convenient excuse.

Le championnat de la MLS a commencé il y’a un peu plus d’un mois, quels sont vos objectifs pour la saison ?

Nous sommes re-localisés en Floride avec un nouvel entraîneur, un nouveau style de jeu. On est presque un club différent. Le club de Toronto où je suis arrivé pour le jeu, la ville et tout un ensemble me parait différent, il y a juste l’écusson qui ne change pas. Actuellement, je ne sais pas où l’on va. On est passé d’un style de jeu basé sur la possession à un jeu vertical basé sur le pressing haut avec une équipe de joueurs de ballons. Pour l’instant, pour moi, l’objectif est de survivre cette saison (rires).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC/Everton View Post
    Just finished reading the Molinaro with Ali Curtis.

Honestly, I used to love reading articles featuring Tim Bez, but Ali says nothing in every answer. Beyond his "I don't view it as a problem" platitudes about Jozy, his support of Armas is embarrassing.

I miss Vanney so much...
    yes. he said nothing. I aalso think John should and could have pressed him on the strategy/tactics issues. He did raise Jozy but "how do you respond to the supporters who are asking why did you sign a coach to take a team that plays ball and turn it into a team that plays vertical" would have been a great question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For what it's worth, I had a friend who speaks French read the original version for me. They said the Google translation was accurate, however without understanding the tone it was said it isn't necessarily throwing shade at TFC management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just watched the second half of the Columbus game on tape replay - very interesting to hear the american commentators who shredded us and, indirectly, Armas, jn the first half. With Auro / Delgado plaing proper positions, we outplayed Columbus - not using a press, but playing out from the back through their press. My observations: no evidence of coherent coaching tactics; Bradley unbelievable - we dont have a press, we have Bradley - scroll back to 95 mins + and he wins the ball leading to his late shot on goal, virtually singlehanded. Incredible engine. Still. Thats about all the good news, although uke Singh had a good game. Ayo is not yet ready; Ritchie has had his third poor game in a row and needs to sit for Auro; Poz not up to speed; Bono still not convincing. Lawrence Ok but not Morrow in his prime.

Also, five minutes into the first half of the match, the commentators were saying our high line was going to cost us. If they could see that why couldnt the coaches.?

Last year we were a team good in possession and poor out of it. With mostly the same players, why would you opt for a system with less possession and more pressure on your (weak) defence? It makes no sense whatsoever.

EDIT: wrong thread...
    Last edited by MightyDM; 06-03-2021 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    For what it's worth, I had a friend who speaks French read the original version for me. They said the Google translation was accurate, however without understanding the tone it was said it isn't necessarily throwing shade at TFC management.
    I read french. The first version was certainly subtle, but critical. Haven't yet read the revisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize he's 29 but has anyone got any idea why Rafael Galhardo, a former Brazilian Serie A team of the year fullback, is going to the CPL?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galhardo hasn't played (or even been employed as a player) for at least a full year.

Still surprised at the move as well, especially seeing as he's going to be playing under a coach who might be even worse than Armas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argentine media claiming we're in for Man Utd's Sergio Romero, a 34-year-old keeper.

This one seems a little delusional

https://www.fichajes.net/noticias/3-...-20210605.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Argentine media claiming we're in for Man Utd's Sergio Romero, a 34-year-old keeper.

0% chance this is true. Even if it was, Armas would still play Bono

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno. I have put forward my theory elsewhere, that both Bono and Q are probably gone, so won’t bore everyone with that… if that is true, why not? I mean, are either in the top 10 GKs in MLS?
    Last edited by ensco; 06-06-2021 at 10:14 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^but there is a style and professional approach in the way a club like TFC and MLSE should be handling things. Allowing a perception of isolating, humiliating and leaving someone on the bench to rot is so low class. Whether it is true or not isn't important right now, it is somewhat believable. I would never have thought this with TFC in the past, and perhaps they are not mistreating the players but they are managing ALL communications with their loyal fans so poorly. I do have to wonder on this, and therein lies the bigger problem that Ali and Armas have created for themselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I dunno. I have put forward my theory elsewhere, that both Bono and Q are probably gone, so won’t bore everyone with that… if that is true, why not? I mean, are either in the top 10 GKs in MLS?
    I'd argue Q was for most of the time he's been with us. He looked at the end of last year like he was starting to be a bit mortal, a bit more error prone in his decisions. But prior to that, the guy was stellar, the best keeper we've had other than Frei.

This league churns through keepers like they were coffee beans at a particularly busy Starbucks.

Anyway, he's 35 now. Age doesn't usually factor for keepers as much as other players, but that's getting up there for a guy who never had the physical tools and did it by being smart. So maybe you're right, maybe Bono is playing for his career and they've already decided Q is done.

Hard to say. The Latvian (?) kid at TFCII isn't exactly filling me with anticipation. That team looks well coached and has some exciting young players in it but he's not ready for prime time.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to say. The Latvian (?) kid at TFCII isn't exactly filling me with anticipation. That team looks well coached and has some exciting young players in it but he's not ready for prime time.
    Canadian-Estonian. Hes also 24

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he looks good to me,he is big 6ft 5 good with his feet comes off his line pretty good unlike somebody we know,maybe a back up next season

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    ^but there is a style and professional approach in the way a club like TFC and MLSE should be handling things. Allowing a perception of isolating, humiliating and leaving someone on the bench to rot is so low class. Whether it is true or not isn't important right now, it is somewhat believable. I would never have thought this with TFC in the past, and perhaps they are not mistreating the players but they are managing ALL communications with their loyal fans so poorly. I do have to wonder on this, and therein lies the bigger problem that Ali and Armas have created for themselves.
    Look, cmon. You do not know that. They may well have fully told Q what is going on. In fact that is the thing to assume. Now Q may not like what they told him, but that is not the same thing at all.

Q is being paid. Suspect he may have escalators in his contract based on games played, a la Benezet, which could also be playing a role here. If players/agents are willing to negotiate/sign these clauses, then they have to live with the consequences.

The hats are generally never all white or all black. I don’t love Curtis or Armas but we gotta stop assuming things.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-06-2021 at 02:21 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ethan Horvath is the solution to our GK situation

(Watch the USA-Mexico highlights)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Ethan Horvath is the solution to our GK situation

(Watch the USA-Mexico highlights)
    On the other hand this guy named Westberg is on the payroll. I heard he’s alright.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    On the other hand this guy named Westberg is on the payroll. I heard he’s alright.
    I have never been that enamoured with Q. I know he stopped that PK in Atlanta, free beers for life for that, but I don't share the general love for him, and see him as a back up.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Westberg is 35. Probably one of best GK technically in the league, but never the best athletically. Father Time gets his man.

I am curious to if Andreas Vaikla pans out in TFC 2. He's already got some pro experience under his belt.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Westberg is 35. Probably one of best GK technically in the league, but never the best athletically. Father Time gets his man.
    He’s not dead yet. Let’s see him actually get a game before we draw any conclusions.

Nick Rimando was a good keeper into his late 30’s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    He’s not dead yet. Let’s see him actually get a game before we draw any conclusions.

Nick Rimando was a good keeper into his late 30’s.
    Also, because Q relies on positioning and technique, he shouldn’t decline as rapidly as those who rely on athleticism.

We can find better goalies than Q. But on available evidence it isn’t Bono. I wish it was but he consistently refuses to command his box, makes bone headed plays and has poor distribution.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never been that enamoured with Q. I know he stopped that PK in Atlanta, free beers for life for that, but I don't share the general love for him, and see him as a back up.
    On his body of work, he cannot be viewed as anything less than a starter in this league. In a team that plays a high line or plays out of the back he’s the best keeper that that team could have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On his body of work, he cannot be viewed as anything less than a starter in this league. In a team that plays a high line or plays out of the back he’s the best keeper that that team could have.

i agree with Portu. He does have weaknesses, but is better at these particular skills than anyone in the league I have paid any attention to at all.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 06-07-2021 at 04:22 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one way to see what Q has left-give him a start to prove portu right

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hats are generally never all white or all black. I don’t love Curtis or Armas but we gotta stop assuming things.
    You're comments are somewhat fair, we only assume things because Ali appears to speak sideways (very careful language). I am going to try to avoid the obvious issues of current record, players playing out of position, key training injuries (Mavinga, Poz, Osorio, Jozy, OG) and now the big one Soteldo... I know I am being strong but why did we have to find out from Venezuela? The Soteldo injury...wtf.

"Toronto’s woes grew Friday when the Venezuelan Football Federation, in a post on its official Twitter feed, revealed the injury to Soteldo, who has made four appearances since joining the team from Brazil’s Santos FC on April 26 in a $6.5-million transfer. GM Ali Curtis said the injury was only confirmed late Thursday afternoon, adding the club had not expected the Venezuelan federation to announce it." His excuse to Mollinaro was worse, he came with a bit of a knock and we were lucky to shut it down when we did. Yeah, it is only 4-6 weeks, it could have been the season. How did he aggravate the original knock?

If Ali want supporters to be onside then be transparent and stop trying to massage the message. Even his most recent interview, we reached out to Jozy's people (that doesn't sound encouraging) It is hard to see the clubs 1st team players in the penalty box(especially a team Legend). Btw, I am generally a Bono supporter but Q's interview and Jozy's apparent bust up are very concerning... I generally find people respond better when they know what is going on, even if it is bad news. Q's quotes were disappointing to hear especially surrounding his uncertainty.

You are right, there probably are extenuating circumstances and I like how you try to give the to the club but my
    spider sense is tingling huge on these two guys don't fit the club culture.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 06-07-2021 at 05:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^We agree on the communication strategy.

I feel people generally don’t give Manning enough credit, I disagree with the “Bez should have been made president” crowd. It's telling to me that the Curtis and Armas threads are aflame, and the Manning one is dormant.

This is all Manning's call, and he has earned more time than this.
    Last edited by ensco; 06-07-2021 at 05:59 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bez gets a lot of credit for Seba & turning Defoe into Jozy & for Moor & Cheyrou & Vasquez. But the championship season success was not followed upon, in my mind.

In particular, the pay raises to Bono & Zavs were just way too much for 1 season of success. Bono does not rate a top 6 keeper in the league salary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just realized something. How could they have only discovered that Soteldo had a knock after 4 matches when he should have done a medical before signing?

If they actually wanted to shut it down right away then he wouldn’t have played from the off.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just realized something. How could they have only discovered that Soteldo had a knock after 4 matches when he should have done a medical before signing?

If they actually wanted to shut it down right away then he wouldn’t have played from the off.

BINGO... and that was his quote "he was carrying a little something in his leg." So many more questions on that one.