Page 18 of 75 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021222868 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the NYRB game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi10 View Post
    KJ's post-game Jozy discussion on OneSoccer was interesting though. He emphasized the vaccine related illness was "just what he had been told" then went down a path of Jozy is a legend for what he's done for this club, but hasn't been at that level for a long time now. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something to the effect of "If Jozy's played his last game for TFC, he will still get met with a standing ovation next time he shows up at BMO".

Completely true - but felt like an odd direction to take it. Almost like he was hinting there is more going on behind the scenes than we may realize... Not sure if I'm reading too much into it but KJ's take was curious.

Spec - Jozy was almost gone back in Jan/Feb and might be getting serious offers for the summer window.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    From the NYRB game thread

Spec - Jozy was almost gone back in Jan/Feb and might be getting serious offers for the summer window.
    That would make sense. Especially if the Borre attempts were closely linked to Jozy possibly leaving? Never made sense to me to have 2 DPs overlapping role so much and then quick pivot to winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn’t KJ mention Cruz Azul almost signed Jozy? I’d imagine he’s not particularly excited about having to actually compete for a starting spot. They have a lot of talent up front already and the only way he would start is if they played two up top because Jonathan Rodriguez is a stud.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly believe Jozy leaving would be best for player and club.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am reluctantly getting to that spot as well, but not going to give Manning and Curtis an out. Not without a replacement, Ayo is unproven and Mullinho can only do so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, that Altidore stuff all sounds nice but I might suggest this is corporate sponsored messaging.

How could the market for Altidore be anything but a haircut for TFC at this point?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I mean, that Altidore stuff all sounds nice but I might suggest this is corporate sponsored messaging.

How could the market for Altidore be anything but a haircut for TFC at this point?
    maybe he’s buying into RSL as a minority owner. Hinted at it a few months ago. They wouldn’t let him play for one club with a stake in another.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RSL is the only thing that makes sense. Nobody else is touching that contract unless Jozy agrees to a substantial pay cut which with his post game ambitions I don't see why he would

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy is a legend and I defend him vigorously on these boards, but he has not shown anything so far this season that would suggest any club would be interested. He looked done in the first leg. I’m certain he isn’t but that’s how he looked. So what club would be in for that?
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-06-2021 at 09:35 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Jozy is a legend and I defend him vigorously on these boards, but he has not shown anything so far this season that would suggest any club would be interested. He looked done in the first leg. I’m certain he isn’t
    He made a key contribution in extra time in the second leg against Leon, no..?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    He made a key contribution in extra time in the second leg against Leon, no..?
    Fair enough, maybe I have a short memory. He has worked hard every appearance this year, but first leg his touch was disastrously off ( ie first goal). Totally unlike him and the first time I have been worried about whether he will come back

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Fair enough, maybe I have a short memory. He has worked hard every appearance this year, but first leg his touch was disastrously off ( ie first goal). Totally unlike him and the first time I have been worried about whether he will come back
    I am having a laugh. He seemed to be the guy in the bleachers who through the second ball on the field from the stands, if was a few seconds of Concacaf time wasting hilarity... you couldn’t tell for sure, it was like looking at Sasquatch videos.

I am with you, it seems possible it's full time for Jozy in Toronto.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need some MLS capologist help.

If you loan or sell a DP mid season, do you get full cap relief if you eat most of the salary? It would be an end run on the buyout rule if you do...

I am trying to think of a precedent, the only one I could think of was NYCFC lending Lampard to Man City a few years back, but the salary bit there probably wouldn’t compare properly to this situation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having a laugh. He seemed to be the guy in the bleachers who through the second ball on the field from the stands, if was a few seconds of Concacaf time wasting hilarity... you couldn’t tell for sure, it was like looking at Sasquatch videos.

I am with you, it seems possible it's full time for Jozy in Toronto.
    oh right good one. I forgot that. Yes that was him or a pretty good double.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you loan or sell a DP mid season, do you get full cap relief if you eat most of the salary? It would be an end run on the buyout rule if you do...

I am trying to think of a precedent, the only one I could think of was NYCFC lending Lampard to Man City a few years back, but the salary bit there probably wouldn’t compare properly to this situation.
    I think this is an area where the loopholes are so complicated none of us know what is possible until it happens
    Last edited by MightyDM; 05-07-2021 at 08:20 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am no capologist but you always hear teams mention about the cap amount being half if doing a summer move so assuming same goes with the DP cap hit. Haven't looked for a while but last time I did cap hit for a DP was about $450K so assuming $225K would be the cap hit to absorb if you moved a DP in the summer window and you get $225K to spend in a replacement. All the cost of the DP over and above the cap hit is for the teams to negotiate who takes the hit and how much I think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DP salary is now 612k...has the club announced lawrence or are they waiting for the summer?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. Radio silence on Lawrence since Kloke's report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like it’s a done deal now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet. Hopefully we can get him in and ready for next weekend.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Looks like it’s a done deal now.
    With that kind of outlay you can make a very good argument that the money could be spent way more effectively.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    With that kind of outlay you can make a very good argument that the money could be spent way more effectively.
    Or much, much worse. At least Lawrence is a proven MLS commodity.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

600K for a guy who is likely to become a rock at LB ala Justin Morrow....will take that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's go. Ali and Manning are getting stuff done after that long vacation they seemingly took. Almost as excited for Lawrence as I am Soteldo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

600k for one of the top full backs in the league and as close to a risk-free signing as you can get makes sense to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering he went to Anderlecht for twice that amount a year and a half ago, it's a pretty tidy piece of business.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys... we need a centre back. That’s not just a starters amount of money, that’s top quality TAM money.

Good business in a vacuum for sure, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Guys... we need a centre back. That’s not just a starters amount of money, that’s top quality TAM money.

Good business in a vacuum for sure, though.
    It seems to me we are going to trade Delgado for one. Or someone similar.

Also I bet Ali and Armas are after Aaron Long. Long nearly moved three different times to Europe but may have missed his window. He is in the last year of his deal and will be looking for real money. This is how Walker Zimmerman moved....
    Last edited by ensco; 05-07-2021 at 05:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me we are going to trade Delgado for one. Or someone similar.

Also I bet Ali and Armas are after Aaron Long. Long nearly moved three different times to Europe but may have missed his window. He is in the last year of his deal and will be looking for real money. This is how Walker Zimmerman moved....
    Dont know about Long but I am sure you are right about Marky or another part of our midfield. Still weird there has been no Poz sighting BTW... Also you totally played me on Club Leon / Jpzy. Brilliant!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know everyone keeps saying we 'need' a CB, but we have 4 right now, and I can't see how we would get rid of any of them ... I think we're just going to have to live with these 4 at least until the end of this season.