Page 45 of 75 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 2246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I barely blame him for this. He was missed more than twice in a good scoring opportunity because other players decided to be selfish in less favourable positions.
    I agree.

It's the emotion of the moment; he has basically a far-post tap in and the ball doesn't come, instead the dude takes an oblique angle shot that really shouldn't get past a good keeper and scores. Good strikers ALWAYS want the ball. And it was at least the third open look he'd had that didn't receive a pass.

He probably apologized in the locker room.

A lot of pros fall into both the "ultra competitive" camp and the "kind of a dick about it' camp as well. But they can often be managed.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's stay on topic, this thread is for roster discussions.

Talk about general TFC stuff here: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?43009-2021-General-TFC-MLS-Banter-(no-transfer-roster-discussion)/page21

MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I agree.

It's the emotion of the moment; he has basically a far-post tap in and the ball doesn't come, instead the dude takes an oblique angle shot that really shouldn't get past a good keeper and scores. Good strikers ALWAYS want the ball. And it was at least the third open look he'd had that didn't receive a pass.

He probably apologized in the locker room.

A lot of pros fall into both the "ultra competitive" camp and the "kind of a dick about it' camp as well. But they can often be managed.
    Yeah, I’m mostly in this camp. Not the right response remonstrating like that but I get the frustration. He’s very far down the pecking order and trying to make an impression in the limited time he’s given.

Sometimes as the new guy you have to storm the castle to take your spot. I wish more of our youth players had this zeal at times, trying to force the issue rather than waiting for the world to come to you (although not expressed in the way it was here).

Jay Chapman is still hanging out for his opportunity. He might be 30 soon, but he’s politely waiting in line, and ready!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Let's stay on topic, this thread is for roster discussions.

Talk about general TFC stuff here: http://forums.redpatchboys.ca/showthread.php?43009-2021-General-TFC-MLS-Banter-(no-transfer-roster-discussion)/page21

He just rejoined the team after a loan. It's in that context, which is a roster issue. Duly noted, however.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He just rejoined the team after a loan. It's in that context, which is a roster issue. Duly noted, however.
    I think this was more in regards to the discussion about some of the comments by Dwyer yesterday in the media availability.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Man he played with us only 2 years ago - 2019 seems like ages ago.
    I liked him but man was he terrible for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Yeah, I’m mostly in this camp. Not the right response remonstrating like that but I get the frustration. He’s very far down the pecking order and trying to make an impression in the limited time he’s given.

Sometimes as the new guy you have to storm the castle to take your spot. I wish more of our youth players had this zeal at times, trying to force the issue rather than waiting for the world to come to you (although not expressed in the way it was here).

Jay Chapman is still hanging out for his opportunity. He might be 30 soon, but he’s politely waiting in line, and ready!
    I don’t think he is coming back here. Is seeing the field in Miami though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I don’t think he is coming back here. Is seeing the field in Miami though.
    Oh I know he’s not. That’s just my cautionary example of politely waiting your turn going wrong.

He’d have more upside if he found a place to get on the field more in his early 20’s. Of course, there are other things going on too (he’s not perfect) but nonetheless…

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC need to sign a CB asap or this comeback from the dead will not happen. Gonzalez is killing us.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by A Stick View Post
    TFC need to sign a CB asap or this comeback from the dead will not happen. Gonzalez is killing us.
    Part of the blame for the backline debacle falls on Bono. People don't seem to understand the role a goalie plays in managing the backline.

Ya'll see a couple shots get blocked and think Bono is the shit. Meanwhile he's fucking up all the other aspects of being a goalie and turn the blame on 100% on others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    Part of the blame for the backline debacle falls on Bono. People don't seem to understand the role a goalie plays in managing the backline.

Ya'll see a couple shots get blocked and think Bono is the shit. Meanwhile he's fucking up all the other aspects of being a goalie and turn the blame on 100% on others.
    100% agree with this. I say right now that if we had Westberg starting and dumped Gonzalez for an average MLS CB like Josh Williams, we would be much, much better off. I don't think we deinitively need a DP level CB but at least someone solid that respects their defensive responsibilities. Moor did this even though he was slow. Problem with Gonzalez is that he is all over the place and with his pace he has no hope to recover.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree totally. The goal last night is a good example. That goal doesn't happen with a keeper commanding the central defense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I agree totally. The goal last night is a good example. That goal doesn't happen with a keeper commanding the central defense.
    There is a reason why Perez cut Bono the last time he coached him. I’m sure he saw the weaknesses in Bono’s game, and I’m guessing he would probably cut him again if given the chance. Bono has not developed into his potential, if anything, he’s regressed since 2017.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 07-22-2021 at 11:12 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    100% agree with this. I say right now that if we had Westberg starting and dumped Gonzalez for an average MLS CB like Josh Williams, we would be much, much better off. I don't think we deinitively need a DP level CB but at least someone solid that respects their defensive responsibilities. Moor did this even though he was slow. Problem with Gonzalez is that he is all over the place and with his pace he has no hope to recover.
    Westburg managed Gonzalez to an MLS Cup final. If Omar stepped out of line, Westburg called him back into position. Trust me, Omar isn't as a big a problem and it seems, his gaffs are a symptom of the entire line not really knowing where to be.

I mean Bono barely knows where he needs to be, how do you expect him to tell others they are out of position?

Where is Martin Omes in this conversation - how many times did that yell at me for being out of position or showing me something I wasn't seeing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not sure I’d vouch for Gonzalez at any level. Slow first step and once you getting him going one way it’s easy to change direction and leave him for dead. He was never fast but he’s only regressed since arriving and the league has gotten a lot better.

Better instructions from a better keeper might partially hide his weaknesses but he’s still a liability.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not sure I’d vouch for Gonzalez at any level. Slow first step and once you getting him going one way it’s easy to change direction and leave him for dead. He was never fast but he’s only regressed since arriving and the league has gotten a lot better.

Better instructions from a better keeper might partially hide his weaknesses but he’s still a liability.
    Agreed. Westberg was able to cover for Gonzalez's weaknesses, but that doesn't mean an upgrade is in order. Maybe less urgent if Westberg is starting but still something Curtis needs to address. You always need to be open to upgrade the team, if possible.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to Instagram, Gallardo is flying out to Boston for TFC2’s game tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Yep, totally right. Having played in goal myself for many years (Not at anything like this level of course) I look at Bono and just wonder what's going through his head at times. He can see the whole pitch and has to be the leader there. That's the role of a keeper in the modern game. He doesn't even seem to know what he should be doing, let alone actually doing it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is what we need right now until we can get a proper CB replacement. And not just any "Josh Williams" CB. We need an actual CB leader.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what we need right now until we can get a proper CB replacement. And not just any "Josh Williams" CB. We need an actual CB leader.
    Well sure but that'll be hard to come by in this window with our cap situation unless we can con one o fthe dumbass MLS teams (looking at you Cinci and Miami) to take somebody like Bono or Gonzalez for any form of allocation. The 'Josh Williams' type CB you can get right now and he's better than everyone not named Mavinga we have out there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well sure but that'll be hard to come by in this window with our cap situation unless we can con one o fthe dumbass MLS teams (looking at you Cinci and Miami) to take somebody like Bono or Gonzalez for any form of allocation. The 'Josh Williams' type CB you can get right now and he's better than everyone not named Mavinga we have out there.
    you don't get a CB like that from within the MLS in this transfer window. You'd have to look outside MLS.
    I also don't see that happening this window either. It'll be in the off season. Gonzalez is our best option for this season wether you like it or not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you don't get a CB like that from within the MLS in this transfer window. You'd have to look outside MLS.
    I also don't see that happening this window either. It'll be in the off season. Gonzalez is our best option for this season wether you like it or not.
    There are always some in-league options. I'd take Stuart Findlay off Philly's hands; he's a Scotland international center back who's third choice in Philly right now, but has a good pedigree and probably wants more than spot duty.

They paid 300K for him in the offseason but he hasn't displaced the guys they had, which is probably more down to them playing well than him suddenly losing his touch.

He's only 25 and he'd be a hell of a lot more reliable than Omar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there's LA Galaxy, Greg's new club, which has FIVE center backs on the first team books including two, Wiliams and Coulibaly, who could start in this league but are only getting sub minutes.

We must have something Vanney would want in exchange for one of them, a young player like Okello maybe who still has a big upside but hasn't really done anything yet.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then there's LA Galaxy, Greg's new club, which has FIVE center backs on the first team books including two, Wiliams and Coulibaly, who could start in this league but are only getting sub minutes.

We must have something Vanney would want in exchange for one of them, a young player like Okello maybe who still has a big upside but hasn't really done anything yet.
    Could even work out a loan deal to get his players some time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Could even work out a loan deal to get his players some time.
    Yeah, exactly. They're both under 25, both being groomed to be the next pair.

There's also USL. We undervalue that league. We let M-A Kaye go and he proved himself there, same with Pasher.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There are always some in-league options. I'd take Stuart Findlay off Philly's hands; he's a Scotland international center back who's third choice in Philly right now, but has a good pedigree and probably wants more than spot duty.

They paid 300K for him in the offseason but he hasn't displaced the guys they had, which is probably more down to them playing well than him suddenly losing his touch.

He's only 25 and he'd be a hell of a lot more reliable than Omar.
    I don't know how you could say he'd be more reliable than Omar - I mean, he's been places and on paper he sounds good, but he's never really stuck. He did ok at Kilmarnock, but they are a bottom feeder in what I would call a lower quality league than MLS. And now he's in MLS and is 3rd choice CB. So it would be more of a gamble than a sure thing. One that I personally wouldn't consider for such a key position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really think we should hold our position rather than ship assets given our league standing and the likelihood of a bunch of contracts expiring this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I really think we should hold our position rather than ship assets given our league standing and the likelihood of a bunch of contracts expiring this year.
    This is the problem with MLS. The business side of the game is a big selling point for fans and they disclose practically nothing. I guess in the earlier days it was embarrassing to state you signed someone for an “apprentice” contract of 12k a year, etc…. But we are well beyond that point now. They need to grow up a bit and realize they can’t run this function of the league like some kind of secretive matter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And now he's in MLS and is 3rd choice CB. So it would be more of a gamble than a sure thing. One that I personally wouldn't consider for such a key position.
    I would gladly take a gamble over a proven failure at this point.

Also if Gonzalez was being paid $300K like Findlay is then he'd be 3rd or 4th CB on a decent team and likely to not get a sniff of being on a good roster. He only starts here because Curtis never planned ahead in regards to defense and with Omar's pricetag, he is expected to play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would gladly take a gamble over a proven failure at this point.

Also if Gonzalez was being paid $300K like Findlay is then he'd be 3rd or 4th CB on a decent team and likely to not get a sniff of being on a good roster. He only starts here because Curtis never planned ahead in regards to defense and with Omar's pricetag, he is expected to play.
    It was a poor signing, I’ll say it. For what we paid we could have done a lot better. He wasn’t worth the money at the point the ink on that contract dried and he hasn’t exactly improved since then.