Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC 2021 player in-season roster discussion

TFC 2021

General roster discussion

Player in-season moves/speculation/rumours
    Post your speculation/information/etc. here in this thread!

Confirmed (by traditional media or the club) signings can get a separate single thread. All other "inside" and other information goes here.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-07-2021 at 02:58 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if we should look at this Borre guy?
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I wonder if we should look at this Borre guy?
    Never heard of him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only two weeks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Depth chart

So here's what I make of our depth chart right now, even though we still don't really know which players Armas prefers or what or main formation will be. I put a couple players at multiple spots but their best role is the one not in italics

Westberg
    Bono
    Silva
    Laryea Gonzalez Mavinga Auro
    Auro Dunn Zavaleta Morrow
    Romeo? Singh? Di Rosa?
    Delgado Bradley
    Priso Osorio
    Okello Fraser
    DeLeon Pozuelo Osorio
    Endoh Okello Shaffelburg
    Achara Osorio Nelson
    Dorsey Marshall-Rutty Gallardo
    Altidore
    Akinola
    Mullins
    Perruzza

CB, LB and wing are still clearly the weak spots but this squad is playoff-level - they won't win the cup without additions though. CB/LB because we've only got 5 natural players to cover 3 spots (which we can partly solve by signing either an academy kid, draft pick, or loaned out defender) and wing because we have a lot of unproven/injured/bad players. I expect DeLeon to go since he can't and shouldn't stay with a Canadian team in an American league if he isn't vaccinated and I think there's a decent chance one of Altidore or Akinola is gone by the summer. That and maybe sending at least one of Gallardo or Dorsey away on loan for the year should free up space for a DP attacker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May already have been mentioned in another thread, but Armas was on COYR and it is DEFINITELY worth a listen when thinking about the roster. Armas is going to use a huge amount of the roster to preserve health, specifically mentioning rotation, 5 subs, rest and recovery, and science around high intensity/ high risk movements with sprinting and quick stops. Do not count out any young player this year. Guys are going to get opportunities, guys are going to get hurt. This coach would rather have his full squad playing his style than have 11 or so guys in the lineup every week. Very interesting.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought we had no roster space. Either someone else has gotten loaned out, or its just MLS rules are inconsistent and make no sense

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I thought we had no roster space. Either someone else has gotten loaned out, or its just MLS rules are inconsistent and make no sense
    there was one spot available by my count
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    I still think a roster limit is dumb in football. At least make exceptions for academy players. I see no reason not to be able to exceed thirty players so long as excess players are from the academy. Should serve as further incentive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OUT:
    Ifunanyachi Achara - Left ACL surgery
    Julian Dunn - Right Hip Osteochondral Injury
    Erickson Gallardo - Right Groin surgery
    Chris Mavinga - Left Calf
    Alejandro Pozuelo - Right Thigh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eil Davidson
    @NeilMDavidson
    ·
    10m
    TFC update. Erickson Gallardo underwent surgery Thursday on right groin. No word from club on return. Luke Singh signs homegrown contract. That brings first team to 31 players. TFC has some leeway with Gallardo, Dunn and Achara on injury reserve list and Romeo on loan. #TFCLive

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With Rocco on loan in Denmark his spot is open.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That Dunn injury - that's an issue with the bone. He might be done for a long while.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surgery? Geez.

But we're in a good spot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pozo's injury is the lingering thigh injury from last season, right? Or is it a new one?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so lineup tomorrow:

bono
    laryea gonzalez zavs auro
    priso bradley okello
    delgado akinola shaff

would be happy with this considering the circumstances.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    May already have been mentioned in another thread, but Armas was on COYR and it is DEFINITELY worth a listen when thinking about the roster. Armas is going to use a huge amount of the roster to preserve health, specifically mentioning rotation, 5 subs, rest and recovery, and science around high intensity/ high risk movements with sprinting and quick stops. Do not count out any young player this year. Guys are going to get opportunities, guys are going to get hurt. This coach would rather have his full squad playing his style than have 11 or so guys in the lineup every week. Very interesting.
    I know I am quoting myself but I have to recommend watching the youtube version of what they're calling Touchline Talk. Armas goes OFF on the details of the goals, the organizing principals of the defence, attack. He talks about TFC playing connected and narrow to allow for quick passes in a web. He mentions the 4-2-4 defensive positioning that led to the Priso-Morrow connection.

Listen I didn't really know what to think about Armas as a hire but I am 100% on board with how this man thinks about the game. Well worth the listen. This is the most reliable information about the specific on field direction of this team we have had in years. I can only hope this becomes a regular feature! https://youtu.be/uW7vhWOtgnE

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good catch - I usually avoid Wheeler & Dunfield but that was REALLY interesting.

In that video, Armas points out that the players were not provided with offseason training regime support once Jim Liston left & between that & the covid outbreak situation, that's why some of the injuries have happened. Also points out team used to cover the most ground in the past but were least on sprinting.

Worth the watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    so lineup tomorrow:

bono
    laryea gonzalez zavs auro
    priso bradley okello
    delgado akinola shaff

would be happy with this considering the circumstances.
    I think this will be the lineup too, but I think Mullins will get the start. If Akinola is returning from injury, Armas may try to ease him in as a sub for the last 30. Not sure about the extent of his injury/fitness.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Good catch - I usually avoid Wheeler & Dunfield but that was REALLY interesting.

In that video, Armas points out that the players were not provided with offseason training regime support once Jim Liston left & between that & the covid outbreak situation, that's why some of the injuries have happened. Also points out team used to cover the most ground in the past but were least on sprinting.

Worth the watch.
    That’s so many levels of unacceptable and lazy. Wow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Worth the watch.
    Who should be held responsible for not having a training regime and/or medical support team in place to prevent injuries, it has to fall on Bill and Ali, if they want to keep up we should of never been put at such a disadvantage, this is very lazy from RBNorth

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    That’s so many levels of unacceptable and lazy. Wow.
    Quote Originally Posted by gracos View Post
    Who should be held responsible for not having a training regime and/or medical support team in place to prevent injuries, it has to fall on Bill and Ali, if they want to keep up we should of never been put at such a disadvantage, this is very lazy from RBNorth
    I agree! That is unbelievably embarrassing & problematic. Everyone knows about TFC's multi-year injury & fitness problems, but in particular last year. Last year & the last few months were extremely difficult for all athletes, but especially for TFC & other Cdn MLS teams. Having to be away from home for many months; multiple quarantines related to travel & COVID; all kinds of disruption of regular routines etc. If Jim Liston left, you don't need a new & permanent TFC fitness guru before you can start to address the issues. MLSE is a huge organization. The next day a caretaker fitness expert should have had all relevant records for all TFC players, and should have clarified basic fitness maintenance with all of them, until a new & permanent medical / sports science team is in place.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-18-2021 at 07:53 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also still a huge gap at forward. Big question marks around Jozy, Akinola, and Achara. Last I read, Achara is still out for many months. Fitness and related injuries will be the excuses you hear throughout the squad for the next 3 months at least, but especially for Jozy & Akinola. Perruzza is OK, but I believe the huge gap between USL and MLS is immediately apparent. After his first appearances, I really don't expect much from him, although maybe Armas can light a fire under his ass. Both Perruzza and Mullins are decent as subs, but should not be relied upon for significant contributions. But we probably have no other options at least until the summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I still think a roster limit is dumb in football. At least make exceptions for academy players. I see no reason not to be able to exceed thirty players so long as excess players are from the academy. Should serve as further incentive.
    That's how it works pretty much right across Europe, Players under 21 are exempt. But MLS is the league of silly rules.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

curtis was slow to react to everything so far this season,hiring a coach,off season program and signings,but he got a new contract,they should of just reupped his ttc metro pass because his last 2 major signings in the last 6mths are a bus ride from his office

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waking the Red piece on why injuries are so high this year:

https://www.wakingthered.com/2021/4/...-many-injuries

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's a nice chunk of change. And massive Lols at the pic

Interesting

Last edited by Areathrasher; 04-20-2021 at 09:40 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news but we all know GAM is going to suffer a knock in training this week & be out for a bit.