Page 33 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2329303132333435363743 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Midfielder Otero linked with Toronto FC.

https://www.meiahora.com.br/esportes...-ao-vasco.html
    Interesting player. Plays all over the place. Mostly off the left though. Venezuelan international.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weren't we supposed to get a decision to this Jozy situation over the break?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weren't we supposed to get a decision to this Jozy situation over the break?

Yea, we gave ourselves two weeks to get things sorted out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TFC1154ever View Post
    Interesting player. Plays all over the place. Mostly off the left though. Venezuelan international.
    What’s this obsession this club has with Venezuelan players? A country that has never made the World Cup and is usually ranked at the bottom of South American soccer lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SoccMan2 View Post
    What’s this obsession this club has with Venezuelan players? A country that has never made the World Cup and is usually ranked at the bottom of South American soccer lol.
    Not sure the quality of the home country of a player means anything. A lot of people clamor for TFC to sign Canadians and by that logic we definitely shouldn't of signed any until the last two or three years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They reached the U20 WC final a few years ago and have generally been replaced by Bolivia as the CONMEBOL whipping boys for a long time now. I think the reason we've seen so many Venezuelans the last few years (not just TFC, but MLS ing general) is due to the economic crisis over there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess would be that they have a tendancy to be undervalued precisely because of these kinds preconceptions. No way we land Soteldo if her were Argentine or Brazilian, or Uruguayan even

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post
    Yea, we gave ourselves two weeks to get things sorted out.
    Actually Curtis said 3 weeks so if we math it out using his established "2 week" formula:

2 weeks = approx 4 months
    3 weeks = approx 6 months or the offseason which sounds about right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well part of me still feels like March 2020 was two weeks ago and I could literally jump back to then without feeling out of place. It's been a long two weeks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not. Impressed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Actually Curtis said 3 weeks so if we math it out using his established "2 week" formula:

2 weeks = approx 4 months
    3 weeks = approx 6 months or the offseason which sounds about right.
    I LOL'd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    They reached the U20 WC final a few years ago and have generally been replaced by Bolivia as the CONMEBOL whipping boys for a long time now. I think the reason we've seen so many Venezuelans the last few years (not just TFC, but MLS ing general) is due to the economic crisis over there
    Golden generation & cheap. City Football Group bought a few too...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we really care where a good player comes from?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not opposed to it. Would also say that if these guys can perform in the brasileirao it’s a far cry from someone like Gallardo.

Which, in retrospect, almost seems like a signing to open doors down the road rather than something done because of the player himself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I really hope we are not moving towards a South American heavy/focused lineup. I don't think the style of football does well in MLS and I think the climate will affect us greatly when it matters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I really hope we are not moving towards a South American heavy/focused lineup. I don't think the style of football does well in MLS and I think the climate will affect us greatly when it matters.
    Atlanta (rather easily) won a cup playing this style. It doesn't matter what style you play if you can execute.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Atlanta (rather easily) won a cup playing this style. It doesn't matter what style you play if you can execute.
    At the end of the day it’s all about the quality of your signings. If you spend Colorado / FCD money, that’s what you’ll get back.

Weather factor is overdone IMO. Most North American players in colder climates end up indoors in the winter (or even late fall). Our ability to play in adverse conditions is vastly overrated. Have heard more than a few prospects who headed to Europe talk about the learning curve of playing on soft fields with six-studs.

Edit: also hard to generalize a style as “South American”. There’s a lot of spread tactically throughout the region.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 06-22-2021 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    I completely agree. I don't understand why Ali Curtis are trying to turn us into some northern version of NYRB.

The sooner Curtis and Armas are fired, the better.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    If you spend Colorado / FCD money, that’s what you’ll get back
    Both teams are much better than we are now and considering how cheap Colorado is and don't have the development chain of Dallas, they're doing very well. It's almost like a good manager with an actual plan that suits the roster can have a positive effect. Who knew?

Answer: Curtis didn't know.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an FYI

FCD is not better then us right now.

We at least look like we might be able to turn this around. Dallas is in freefall with no real plan - even the "play the kids" thing, which is all FCD has right now, isn't always being followed.

Tab Ramos is not a good manager

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just an FYI

We at least look like we might be able to turn this around. Dallas is in freefall with no real plan - even the "play the kids" thing, which is all FCD has right now, isn't always being followed.

Tab Ramos is not a good manager
    You meant Luchi Gonzalez. Tab Ramos manages Houston
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    You meant Luchi Gonzalez. Tab Ramos manages Houston

Dang your right. Still, FCD is a mess - just not for the reasons I thought.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just an FYI

FCD is 1-4-3 with 9 GF & 12GA.

TFC is 1-2-5 with 10GF & 15GA.

Right now they are the better team. They might be in freefall but so are we and unlike them we didn't just sell off most of our good young players and are reloading.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FC Dallas is the worst. They sell players, give the money to Patrick Mahomes and their only claim to fame lately has been that they supplied two RB's who aren't on Richie Laryea's level to teams in Europe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both teams are much better than we are now and considering how cheap Colorado is and don't have the development chain of Dallas, they're doing very well. It's almost like a good manager with an actual plan that suits the roster can have a positive effect. Who knew?

Answer: Curtis didn't know.
    Sure, I can get behind that. But just goes to show you the value of having good managers and not just spending the money on players.

Honestly, as much as things look dire right now, I generally like our roster. Some things need to be improved but I think it’s a group that can win and if they had a quality DP striker / CB upgrade, would be capable of dominating.

It’s just not showing cause of the dopes calling the shots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Sure, I can get behind that. But just goes to show you the value of having good managers and not just spending the money on players.

Honestly, as much as things look dire right now, I generally like our roster. Some things need to be improved but I think it’s a group that can win and if they had a quality DP striker / CB upgrade, would be capable of dominating.

It’s just not showing cause of the dopes calling the shots.
    I agree with this 100%. The main glaring thing on the pitch that needs to be improved upon is Gonzalez. That could be done in the summer and for now, Singh is a better option. I was almost going to say Zavaleta but no.

I like our roster too and it's obviously performing well under even the most modest expectations at this point. There's no way TFC should be in the wooden spoon hunt with that roster, injuries & banishments included.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with this 100%. The main glaring thing on the pitch that needs to be improved upon is Gonzalez. That could be done in the summer and for now, Singh is a better option. I was almost going to say Zavaleta but no.

I like our roster too and it's obviously performing well under even the most modest expectations at this point. There's no way TFC should be in the wooden spoon hunt with that roster, injuries & banishments included.
    By all accounts he was pretty good for El Salvador in the recent WCQs. Could be worth seeing if that form carries over for a little bit instead of riding Omar further into the ground.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yefe off to join his national team.

Also, my first embedded tweet!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yefe off to join his national team.

Also, my first embedded tweet!
    Congrats, I struggle to do this without screwing it up 4-5 times.

The newer versions of the software automatically imbed the tweets but to me they also seem a bit messy. This form is much easier to scroll through on mobile than the V’s board, IMO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    With Tata Martinez as their manager. They had some carry over success with the US open the following year, but have done shit all since.

You can give Tata the credit for this or you can give it Almiron. When both left, the team deflated.

At least Under Vanney when a star player was gone, the entire team didn't crumble. I really hope we don't go down the same road where if a single player (Poz) isn't in the lineup, we are garbage.
    Last edited by jabbronies; 06-23-2021 at 01:04 PM.