Page 31 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Little early to be talking about him being the fall guy. Wonder how many losses it takes to remove the bald bozos.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing happens until this team is near being out of playoff contention.

August

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So some interesting news in The Athletic Article today:

https://theathletic.com/2650968/2021...jozy-altidore/

According to multiple sources, Toronto has been interested in moving Altidore for months. The club floated him to other MLS teams in the offseason, but didn’t find any trade partners. The sources said TFC doesn’t feel it’s getting a level of production from Altidore commensurate with his DP spot and salary, which, at $3.6 million in 2021, is the sixth-highest in the league, according to the MLSPA.

ESPN reported earlier this year that a Liga MX team was interested in the 31-year-old striker over the winter. The Athletic’s sources added to that report in recent days, saying that newly crowned Liga MX champion Cruz Azul was the club in question. The sources said Cruz Azul offered to pick up a portion of Altidore’s salary through 2022, but that the proposal was far too low for TFC to seriously consider at the time.

It seems like they DID want Borre but couldn't come up with a trade/transfer for Altidore. Wonder if things will move come July 1st.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Nothing happens until this team is near being out of playoff contention.

August
    I don't think they'll wait until the summer window passes by if we're sinking as fast as we currently are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I don't think they'll wait until the summer window passes by if we're sinking as fast as we currently are.
    Next three games: Orlando, Nashville, and Cincinnati. If we don’t win one of those we’re one win in 10 and optically I think it gets hard NOT to fire Armas.

My fear is they just blow by every milestone excuse what we see, write off this year and maybe get rid of Armas in the off season when the coast is clear.

Let’s hope the press does their job and keeps the heat on if we continue to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Neil Davidson's CP story today. I've known Neil professionally for about fifteen or twenty years. He's an exceptionally accurate and reliable reporter and if he says this is the reality, this is the reality. It is the polar opposite of what has been suggested on the boards at least once recently.

"Altidore, who rarely speaks to the media, is popular with his teammates who say he is supportive and encouraging behind the scenes."

If Neil has that, he has it solidly, from those teammates.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    From Neil Davidson's CP story today. I've known Neil professionally for about fifteen or twenty years. He's an exceptionally accurate and reliable reporter and if he says this is the reality, this is the reality. It is the polar opposite of what has been suggested on the boards at least once recently.

"Altidore, who rarely speaks to the media, is popular with his teammates who say he is supportive and encouraging behind the scenes."

If so then it means TFC FO leaked that rumor to expedite Jozy's departure and make it easier for fans to accept.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post

Little early to be talking about him being the fall guy. Wonder how many losses it takes to remove the bald bozos.
    more interesting what isnt said. words like "effective. results. proven winner. respect " etc. "he works hard and everyone likes him" is as lukewarm an endorsement as you can get. What club ever said that about Mourinho, Conte or Teuchel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If so then it means TFC FO leaked that rumor to expedite Jozy's departure and make it easier for fans to accept.
    I have always thought that. Jozy is a character but there is no evidence in his public demeanour or the attitude of players to him on the pitch that he is anything but a valued teammate. Maybe a bit "oh Jozy not again" but the nasty stuff is right out of character.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    more interesting what isnt said. words like "effective. results. proven winner. respect " etc. "he works hard and everyone likes him" is as lukewarm an endorsement as you can get. What club ever said that about Mourinho, Conte or Teuchel?
    Someone should make a book of these statements in pro sports and quote the amount of time it took for the knives to come out after.

But then again, nobody would ever accuse Ali Curtis of doing things on time. He’ll probably make the case to fire the coach and have all the necessary approvals from the board 2 weeks after Armas’s contract runs out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post

There was similar in the Athletic article

It’s also worth noting that some of the younger players on the team, including Akinola, hold Altidore in high regard. In July 2020, Akinola credited Altidore for showing him “huge guidance” in his tactical approach. The outcome of this stalemate could end up impacting TFC’s young core.

“He’s a guy that young players have looked up to with good reason,” Armas told reporters on Monday. “It’s part of it, when you make big decisions.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand by my opinion that Jozy did what everyone else was unwilling to do. He represented the thoughts of a number of players and called out the mismanagement of the team or something to that degree. There’s been a lot of accusations thrown towards him including the local beat guys like WakingTheRed which placed all the blame in this situation on him.

My hypothesis is that Ali is clearly feeling the pressure and cannot have someone undermine his vision and new coach, especially right now since the team is underperforming. He had an opportunity to make the change that they’ve wanted to make for some time (replacing an injury prone Jozy) and he jumped all over it under the guise of “we will handle this between us without any leaks”.

The quotes from Bradley today were made in a way that seems very clear to me that Jozy is done here. I will miss his character and passion and hope that we can get a replacement right away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by barticusz View Post

The quotes from Bradley today were made in a way that seems very clear to me that Jozy is done here. I will miss his character and passion and hope that we can get a replacement right away.
    What did Bradley say?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2023 is going to be a fun year

Jozy & Poz (likely IMHO) gone

Soteldo here

2 New DPs

Bradley no longer starting every game

Some of the young guys playing serious minutes

Osorio & Delgado & Mavinga hitting their peak years for their positions

I'm thinking we run MLS in 2024 (if we have the right coach)

Until then, its going to be a bumpy ride.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    What did Bradley say?
    “And so at this point, I want the best possible situation and outcome for Jozy and for his family and for the club, because obviously it’s no secret how much I love and care about the club, and how much I’ve given to try to help turn this club into something different and special.

And so, it’s not an easy situation, it’s not a simple situation, and so all I can say is, again, I hope there’s a solution where Jozy gets the respect and the appreciation that he deserves from the fans and from the city for the incredible role that he has played in putting this club where we are right now. When the book gets written, and when all is said and done, we’re talking about one of the best—if not the best player—to ever play for the club. And the role that he played in on so many of the big nights, it can’t be overstated. I hope that there’s a solution and an outcome that is fitting of all of that where Jozy and his family can be happy and have what they deserve, and I hope that that same outcome and solution is what leaves the club in a great place to continue to have success and to continue to write more pages in our history.

“And so, it’s sports. It’s football. These things do happen. We’ll leave the rest for Jozy and his agent and for the club, and they’ll navigate that, but those are my thoughts.”
    Last edited by barticusz; 06-14-2021 at 11:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“And so at this point, I want the best possible situation and outcome for Jozy and for his family and for the club, because obviously it’s no secret how much I love and care about the club, and how much I’ve given to try to help turn this club into something different and special.

And so, it’s not an easy situation, it’s not a simple situation, and so all I can say is, again, I hope there’s a solution where Jozy gets the respect and the appreciation that he deserves from the fans and from the city for the incredible role that he has played in putting this club where we are right now. When the book gets written, and when all is said and done, we’re talking about one of the best—if not the best player—to ever play for the club. And the role that he played in on so many of the big nights, it can’t be overstated. I hope that there’s a solution and an outcome that is fitting of all of that where Jozy and his family can be happy and have what they deserve, and I hope that that same outcome and solution is what leaves the club in a great place to continue to have success and to continue to write more pages in our history.

“And so, it’s sports. It’s football. These things do happen. We’ll leave the rest for Jozy and his agent and for the club, and they’ll navigate that, but those are my thoughts.”
    Thanks for sharing. Bradley says Jozy may be the best ever player in TFC history...I would give that to Giovinco not Jozy but hey we all know Bradley/Jozy are buds. He also says he hopes Jozy gets an outcome that he deserves. He got millions for sitting on the bench and on the treatment table the last couple seasons. Pretty sure he got more money than he earned already so no matter what outcome he gets he already made good money off the club. Shows you the skewed view of things you can get at the higher levels of pro sports though with compensation and what they "deserve". I have respect for what he did in 2017 and that got him the extension on his contract but I think it is time to move on. I remember back in 2017 I was listening to a podcast and there was a sports physio on the show and he was saying just based on Altidore's build and history and playing style along with his increasing age that he would always be out injured and would never be able to string multiple games together on a regular basis and be out injured more than he played. If a physio on a TFC podcast could predict this before he got signed for the extension, where was the TFC medical staff? Anyhow, what is done is done. Hopefully they can figure out a way to move on sooner than later and not drag this saga out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning needs to do the right thing and sack Ali/Armas. This is not going anywhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I have always thought that. Jozy is a character but there is no evidence in his public demeanour or the attitude of players to him on the pitch that he is anything but a valued teammate. Maybe a bit "oh Jozy not again" but the nasty stuff is right out of character.
    Probably mostly true but I bet there's a few pluggers and underpaid guys ,like a Laryea for instance, who are looking at the productivity vs pay comparison between Jozy and guys like that and thinking WTF? He's hurt again? He's complaining again?

Not saying they are sharpening their pitchforks but in a league with this much pay disparity that always factors in.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to be honest, i don’t get the criticism. I get the frustration but this guy bleeds Red!! Jozy, Gio, MB and that whole team brought Toronto out of it’s inferiority complex. Remember this was before the Raptors won, a whole generation had never seen a Toronto team win. The commitment to winning that year was imho similar to a Cup run (oh wait it was). He played injured, he played with passion and he celebrated with the city when he won. Jozy like it or not now, deserves to be treated with respect, we signed a contract with him… I can’t imagine that he wants to be injured and not contributing the way he can. Maybe we could have load managed him better, who knows. We have $11 million men playing hockey that haven’t won anything that we adore.

Maybe it is time for him to go but if Manning, Ali and Armas humiliate him on the way out then they just plain suck!!!!!!! Be bigger, come right out and say he doesn’t fit in our plans, it is time but making him train alone is infantile and so low class, trying to discredit him in the process is shyte. Having an asset and not using it is STUPID management…. They have already let other clubs know he is for sale… bargain basement. I don’t want Dwyer to feel bad, because i like him but if you didn’t see that as a calculated move then i don’t know what one is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Manning needs to do the right thing and sack Ali/Armas. This is not going anywhere.
    TBH, if it's a toss up between getting rid of Jozy or Curtis & Armas, I'd keep Jozy in a heartbeat. Jozy is a sunk cost and has a potential upside. The other two not so much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I stand by my opinion that Jozy did what everyone else was unwilling to do. He represented the thoughts of a number of players and called out the mismanagement of the team or something to that degree. There’s been a lot of accusations thrown towards him including the local beat guys like WakingTheRed which placed all the blame in this situation on him.

My hypothesis is that Ali is clearly feeling the pressure and cannot have someone undermine his vision and new coach, especially right now since the team is underperforming. He had an opportunity to make the change that they’ve wanted to make for some time (replacing an injury prone Jozy) and he jumped all over it under the guise of “we will handle this between us without any leaks”.

Agreed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably mostly true but I bet there's a few pluggers and underpaid guys ,like a Laryea for instance, who are looking at the productivity vs pay comparison between Jozy and guys like that and thinking WTF? He's hurt again? He's complaining again?

Not saying they are sharpening their pitchforks but in a league with this much pay disparity that always factors in.
    I think thats very fair

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    TBH, if it's a toss up between getting rid of Jozy or Curtis & Armas, I'd keep Jozy in a heartbeat. Jozy is a sunk cost and has a potential upside. The other two not so much.
    Thats about where I am too. Plus, legend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m with you here.

It’s very hard to tell from the outside what this all means. Dry questions from reporters with leading answers don’t necessarily get to the crux of it.

But at face value: super star not performing. Has stepped out and made his opinions known on several occasions. Now in dispute with the new coach. How much patience do other players really have for this?

They might not like Armas, but they might not support Altidore either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As frustrating as this all is, it’s at least kind of fun to watch Curtis have to sit in his own shit. Giving Jozy another contract and with all those conditions and term was such an obviously stupid move at the time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    As frustrating as this all is, it’s at least kind of fun to watch Curtis have to sit in his own shit. Giving Jozy another contract and with all those conditions and term was such an obviously stupid move at the time.
    It's not fun at all. It's fucking annoying. It's fucking up the whole club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    It's not fun at all. It's fucking annoying. It's fucking up the whole club.
    Overstatement. Jozy is immovable and this is an exercise in futility. Even if he does move cap relief is next to zero. Moreover, Jozy not playing or Jozy playing makes little material difference to our performances.
    Last edited by portu; 06-15-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They should have taken the financial hit and done a deal with Cruz Azul, would have been a tidy out for all involved except Curtis.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    They should have taken the financial hit and done a deal with Cruz Azul, would have been a tidy out for all involved except Curtis.

I'm not sure a trade wouldn't have included Jozy counting as a DP still just because the financial hit would still be above DP level.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This takes the cake, from Todays Toronto Sun... https://torontosun.com/sports/tfc-co...ce-of-altidore

They just shouldn't let Armas talk....

“So for young players, I also can be a role model and a guy that can be a good example,” said the coach. “(And our) older players can be an example for young players. So there will be other players now that become…role models for younger players.”

But Armas promised again this week that success will come and everybody has bought in..... it reminds of "the beatings will continue until the morale improves"