Page 36 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 2246
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Still not sure Jozy really wants to leave if the salary is less then what he is getting. He MIGHT be still thinking there is a WC shot available if he gets minutes somewhere but that would be the only reason to take a paycut.
    I really can't see Jozy returning to the USMNT at this point unless he goes somewhere and starts banging in goals. So, you might be righ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still not sure Jozy really wants to leave if the salary is less then what he is getting. He MIGHT be still thinking there is a WC shot available if he gets minutes somewhere but that would be the only reason to take a paycut.
    Agree. We will see if Jozy truly wants a chance to play or if he is happy just collecting his retirement fund. He is absolutely entitled to both and I would be lying if I said I wouldn't happily sit at home collecting millions of dollars a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if there is any way Jozy makes the Gold cup squad, That would help optics Jozy playing for the US while being banished from the team paying his wages

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well TFC is going to eat Jozy's contract either way whether they like it or not. No player will ever re-negotiate an active contract to a lower wage, nor should be expected.

TFC either finds him a team so he can play(TFC possibly pay upwards of 80%) or they do the petty thing and make him sit out for the reminder of the deal while still paying him full for doing nothing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I dont think that is the issue.

Its more likely TFC want Penarol to pay a higher percentage of his current wage, however to no ones surprise teams do not want to cover what TFC is asking. I believe this is the only reason he was not moved in the off season, for whatever reason TFC does not want to eat his salary.

Jozy on the open market is not getting more than 500K.
    I'd wonder if the Phil Kessel situation has anything to do with MLSE not wanting to eat his salary?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well TFC is going to eat Jozy's contract either way whether they like it or not. No player will ever re-negotiate an active contract to a lower wage, nor should be expected.

TFC either finds him a team so he can play(TFC possibly pay upwards of 80%) or they do the petty thing and make him sit out for the reminder of the deal while still paying him full for doing nothing.
    At a certain point we risk damaging our own reputation (and the leagues) if we ice him out for that long. Has to be some sort of solution. He can’t be left to rot for over a year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    At a certain point we risk damaging our own reputation (and the leagues) if we ice him out for that long. Has to be some sort of solution. He can’t be left to rot for over a year.
    So what solutions do you propose, other then what's already been posted here?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spe18 View Post
    So what solutions do you propose, other then what's already been posted here?
    Well, someone has already covered it somewhere I’m sure. You see him off and you eat most of his salary.

It’s a crappy alternative but it is what it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, someone has already covered it somewhere I’m sure. You see him off and you eat most of his salary.

Now, since I'm doubting the board @ MLSE will agree to this, do you have any other suggestions?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now, since I'm doubting the board @ MLSE will agree to this, do you have any other suggestions?
    It’s difficult because Manning/Curtis/Armas and yes Jozy have made sure there needs to be a loser. This is just stupid and it no longer matters whose right or wrong. The fans have lost and therefor MLSE/TFC and the league loses.

Why has the board let these amateurs loose on us, with what appears to be no governance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can trade outside the league but any salary still paid by TFC is charged against the cap. In essence, a trade of Jozy is only effective for the cap if the salary charge to TFC is less then the DP limit, $612,500. That's the only way a trade of Jozy makes sense. If they are not willing to take on enough to take the salary below the DP threshold, then we get no relief from Jozy being a DP.

In essence, if TFC traded Jozy & still paid more then the DP salary cap amount, MLSE would be getting money back but this would not help TFC as a team.

Transfers and Loans

An MLS player may be transferred or loaned at any time to a non-MLS club (subject to the receiving club's applicable federation's transfer window), and subject to the consent of the player.

Upon loaning a player, clubs will receive roster relief but not Salary Budget relief unless otherwise agreed to in the loan agreement.

As for the buyout, no dice.

A club may not free up space in the Salary Budget with a buyout of a player's contract during the season. If a club buys out a player's contract during the season, the buyout amount will be charged against the club's Salary Budget.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 06-28-2021 at 09:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can't do that during the season & get cap relief or a DP slot back
    Which is a good point. If there’s a way to get out from under the cap hit, you want to take it. So logically, that means 6-month loan THEN a buyout in the off-season.

But something tells me there is a rule change warranted. Saying you have to take a cap hit during the season for the buyout amount but not in the offseason makes no sense.

The logical rule here is to say if you buyout during the season you do not get the cap space back until the next year. And you still can only do so many buyouts. But not count the buyout amount against your cap, that’s asinine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    TFC doesn't wanna eat his salary because they won't have an open DP spot if they do. If Jozy really wants to leave he is gonna have to accept a much lower salary.
    Jozy didnt publicly demand to leave. the team, very publicly, has made it clear they wont play him. A true superstar and a cub legend - yes, with injury history, but legend nonetheless - and they chose a coach with one win over him at the first opportunity. Terrible management.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly, this is how management look to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or you make up some other punishment- five game retroactive suspension for example - and welcome him back. All he did was call it like it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About now would be a good time for one of the journos to call in a favor. We need to know what the hell happened between the Altidore and team. Surprised it hasn't leaked already in some form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fire the coach. Bring back Jozy. fixed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About now would be a good time for one of the journos to call in a favor. We need to know what the hell happened between the Altidore and team. Surprised it hasn't leaked already in some form.
    Totally agreed. I think Jozy said something like "you wont play me but you wont let me leave, WTF" or "who the F are you? you dont know what you are doing"

In both cases he was right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had to wager on the outcome of this Jozy situation I would say it ends in a buyout. We lose the DP spot for the year and attempt to bring in a 9 in January.

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In essence, if TFC traded Jozy & still paid more then the DP salary cap amount, MLSE would be getting money back but this would not help TFC as a team.
    Having him on the payroll and not playing also doesn't help the team. Unfortunately, this is a lose-lose situation. If the decision has been made that Jozy doesn't see the pitch in a TFC uniform again (big if), then I don't see why MLSE wouldn't at least try recoup some of their financial loss with a loan or other deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to guess one of those magic transactions appears. Something complicated where we offload Jozy and eat some money but rather than lose the DP spot we trade a valuable asset somewhere ... Marky, Osorio or Laryea for enough funny money to make the amount we need to eat on Jozy's contract disappear. The rule that allows it to happen will be passed off by MLS as some obscure loophole uncovered by Manning and Curtis in an attempt to make them seem clever because not only can we sign a new striker but we also get to solve a problem when everyone is fit and we don't have enough midfield/winger spots on the field for all of our MLS "stars".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    Having him on the payroll and not playing also doesn't help the team. Unfortunately, this is a lose-lose situation. If the decision has been made that Jozy doesn't see the pitch in a TFC uniform again (big if), then I don't see why MLSE wouldn't at least try recoup some of their financial loss with a loan or other deal.
    I think the issue with the option is that it's been suggested - TFC would have to essentially pay to another team to take him on - close to, if not 100% of his remaining wages with TFC. This is probably akin to a buyout type deal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    I'm going to guess one of those magic transactions appears. Something complicated where we offload Jozy and eat some money but rather than lose the DP spot we trade a valuable asset somewhere ... Marky, Osorio or Laryea for enough funny money to make the amount we need to eat on Jozy's contract disappear. The rule that allows it to happen will be passed off by MLS as some obscure loophole uncovered by Manning and Curtis in an attempt to make them seem clever because not only can we sign a new striker but we also get to solve a problem when everyone is fit and we don't have enough midfield/winger spots on the field for all of our MLS "stars".

You get points for creativity on that one… nice. I like the “make them seem clever” in particular.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by buddies View Post
    I'm going to guess one of those magic transactions appears.
    I think you forgot, Bez isn't with this team anymore

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    If I had to wager on the outcome of this Jozy situation I would say it ends in a buyout. We lose the DP spot for the year and attempt to bring in a 9 in January.

Beyond the distraction, there's literally no upside to anybody in that but Jozy & MLSE.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khso11 View Post
    I think you forgot, Bez isn't with this team anymore
    These deals still happen. They just take about "2 weeks" to get done now.

By my count around a little over "1 week" has passed since Altidore was banished.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    These deals still happen. They just take about "2 weeks" to get done now.

By my count around a little over "1 week" has passed since Altidore was banished.
    Along with not scoring, Austin just lost their second starting striker Danny Hoesen to hip surgery. Their other starter, Aron Schoenfeld, is out injured as well.

And they have an open DP spot.

Jesus, how do they not roll this one over the line?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because they will sign Kei Kamara for less.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Because they will sign Kei Kamara for less.
    I bet you a beer if they take either it'll be Jozy. Kamara is the all-time MLS locker-room cancer. Even teams he scored at got rid of him tout suite.

If their choices are "injury prone but might score 10 goals, might be an pain in the ass, but might be inspriational" versus "cheap, but team cohesion and the manager's authority will be under assail" they'll take...

On the other hand it's Precourt. He might just go for cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I bet you a beer if they take either it'll be Jozy. Kamara is the all-time MLS locker-room cancer. Even teams he scored at got rid of him tout suite.

If their choices are "injury prone but might score 10 goals, might be an pain in the ass, but might be inspriational" versus "cheap, but team cohesion and the manager's authority will be under assail" they'll take...

On the other hand it's Precourt. He might just go for cheap.
    To be fair though, there is likely no one in this world willing to take on Altidore at his current wages, short of tfc making an arrangement where they still pay the majority of his wages.

AND more importantly, the $600,000+ in salary budget space he would take up on any team in MLS, taking into consideration his current productivity rate and injury issues.
    Last edited by spe18; 06-29-2021 at 06:24 PM.