Page 63 of 75 FirstFirst ... 135359606162636465666773 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2246
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are 2 aspects of this that would inform the capability here of Seba to have an impact

a) Seba @ Juve knew he wasn't better then everybody around him due to quality
    Seba @ TFC knew he was better then everybody around him due to quality
    Seba @ 35 MIGHT know he is no longer better then everybody around him due to quality

b) Seba relied a LOT on initial quick movements - if, as likely, he's lost that burst speed, he's not Soteldo, he's Vasquez

Ultimately, the source for this is poor - wait for a real journalist to come forward with a source

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate watching Bradley go through his decline, I'd hate to see Gio come back as shadow of his former self. Let 2017 go rebuild with youth and hope the next success window can be managed competently and in a sustainable way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    I hate watching Bradley go through his decline, I'd hate to see Gio come back as shadow of his former self. Let 2017 go rebuild with youth and hope the next success window can be managed competently and in a sustainable way.
    Agreed. Let’s not be one of those clubs that cannot let go of it’s aging stars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Fully agreed. He's been on a rapid decline the past two years and watching him getting skinned alive on some goals is shocking. At least Perez has taken him off some times as he doesn't belong as an automatic starter. If Priso didn't get hurt, Bradley should be just on the bench and this should be his last year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Agreed. But we have many blindly now defend the useless Altidore as a "legend" despite never playing nor scoring....and Bradely is completely finished as well. We need to be ruthless and move on for the good of the club.

Look at Real Madrid selling Ronaldo, selling Varane, letting Ramos go.....Barca letting Messi, Suarez, Greaseman go as well....these are in fact world class legends...and the clubs did what was best for them. Yet here we can't let go of Altidore and Bradely for what they contributed in 2017....

Time to clean house and move on and try to rebuild now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    It is better to root for a bad club with an aging favourite son, than a bad club without one.

I don’t want to overdraw the analogy, but it's not like it was a bad thing that Dichio was here in 2007-2009, even though he most certainly took playing time away from younger players.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    It is better to root for a bad club with an aging favourite son, than a bad club without one.

I don’t want to overdraw the analogy, but it's not like it was a bad thing that Dichio was here in 2007-2009, even though he most certainly took playing time away from younger players.
    Keeping the aging favourite son, prevents us from becoming a great club again with new favourite sons....

I am a Real Madrid fan....so while I hated seeing legends like Ronaldo, Varane and Ramos go...I know the next generation will come and bring us glory again....Vini Jr, Fede, Camavinga....

Same here, we can't let Bradley and Altidore continue to drag us down. Time to move on. It doesn't mean they weren't legends, and we thank them for all they did in the past, but its time to move on. They are hurting their own legacy now and killing the club. Altidore way moreso with that massive gauranteed DP contract of $5M plus and he has scored 4 goals in two years....but you get my point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are not Real Madrid. It is different for a super club, sure, no room for sentiment there.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am getting increasingly uncomfortable with how our legends are being treated on these boards. (And I am not referring to the post above). People throw around words like lazy etc etc etc and feel free to insult and question the motives of fantastic servants to this club. Jozy is treated as if he gets hurt on purpose, when most of his injuries have been either impact (ankle and foot) or the result of him working too hard and bulking up (hamstrings). Same thing with MB. Just two years ago he played the last 60 minutes of the MLS Cup with a “severe and complicated ankle injury” that was so serious it required surgery and the recovery from that was four months. Guts. And as for Seba. Seba! The best player in the history of this league. Let’s show some respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are not Real Madrid. It is different for a super club, sure, no room for sentiment there.
    I know we aren't the same...but we can't continue to crumble and pay Altidore and Bradley millions as we sink to the bottom. They were part of the great teams in the past, and came when we were brutal and helped make us great. They will end up now leaving the club in a worse place than when they came. Time to move on.

Morrow did the honourable thing and called it quits as he was done.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I am getting increasingly uncomfortable with how our legends are being treated on these boards. (And I am not referring to the post above). People throw around words like lazy etc etc etc and feel free to insult and question the motives of fantastic servants to this club. Jozy is treated as if he gets hurt on purpose, when most of his injuries have been either impact (ankle and foot) or the result of him working too hard and bulking up (hamstrings). Same thing with MB. Just two years ago he played the last 60 minutes of the MLS Cup with a “severe and complicated ankle injury” that was so serious it required surgery and the recovery from that was four months. Guts. And as for Seba. Seba! The best player in the history of this league. Let’s show some respect.
    They were very good in the past and we thank them for their service. They will be remembered as part of the 2017 Champs and some great teams. That doesn't change.

No one said Altidore gets hurt on purpose. Its the reality that he is always injured. And becaquse of it we have no DP striker and no goals. Yet we continue to let him bleed us dry while he laughs all the way to the bank. Good for him, brutal for us.

But they are completely finished now, that's the reality of the situation and they need to go now, same with Curtis and Manning. Time to rebuild. Not continue to sink and delay the inevitable long (and painful) rebuild.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hala Hrvatska View Post
    They were very good in the past and we thank them for their service. They will be remembered as part of the 2017 Champs and some great teams. That doesn't change.

No one said Altidore gets hurt on purpose.
    Its the reality that he is always injured. And becaquse of it we have no DP striker and no goals. Yet we continue to let him bleed us dry while he laughs all the way to the bank. Good for him, brutal for us.

But they are completely finished now, that's the reality of the situation and they need to go now, same with Curtis and Manning. Time to rebuild. Not continue to sink and delay the inevitable long (and painful) rebuild.

You don't say that, but lots of people on here effectively do - the adjectives they use to describe our legends are outrageous. I'm sick of it and am going to call them out. And as for contracts, Bradley took a huge pay cut - the club and he both did their part. Yes, they should have had some kind of appearance clause in Jozy's contract, but his contract hasn't stopped the club from bringing in a DP striker or a CB - the club chose not to and brought in Soteldo - a player who at his best plays the same position as our other DP, and an LB rather than a CB (who has had to play CB because we are so desperate).

People have a right to be angry with management who have arrogantly let this team deteriorate - but calling out players who gave everything for this club just is not right.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 09-18-2021 at 09:03 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, they should have had some kind of appearance clause in Jozy's contract
    Not allowed under the CBA unfortunately.

As for people calling out Jozy as lazy, he earned it. During the pandemic break everyone did at home training with their trainers on Zoom. Jozy asked to work out at home with his fiancee as she was preparing for the tennis season. He tweeted vids of him filming her work out hard. Then when the season resumed in Hartford he needed a few weeks to get in playing shape as he admitted he didn't keep fit enough. That's all I needed to hear from our long serving DP to earn the title of lazy. And people can say at home training doesn't equal game shape but everyone else who was playing from day one dealt with similar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't say that, but lots of people on here effectively do - the adjectives they use to describe our legends are outrageous. I'm sick of it and am going to call them out. And as for contracts, Bradley took a huge pay cut - the club and he both did their part. Yes, they should have had some kind of appearance clause in Jozy's contract, but his contract hasn't stopped the club from bringing in a DP striker or a CB - the club chose not to and brought in Soteldo - a player who at his best plays the same position as our other DP, and an LB rather than a CB (who has had to play CB because we are so desperate).

People have a right to be angry with management who have arrogantly let this team deteriorate - but calling out players who gave everything for this club just is not right.
    Just to add to this very good point… why blame guys for going for and getting maximum dollars? I root for them when they do it.

The results of overpaying or otherwise getting it wrong belong solely to management. The roots of all of this lie with Manning having his head in the sand in 2018. You don’t handle elite player contract expiries in soccer the way you do in North American sports.

TFC let it fester, then it blew up (Gio walked, which led to VV walking), then we panicked (by giving Jozy term instead of a short deal). Not much else to say.
    Last edited by ensco; 09-18-2021 at 11:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't blame Jozy for the extension, that idiotic move was purely on the club. Jozy has a family to feed and only a few more earning years, he's entitled to take the maximum $$ offered. I sure as hell wouldn't turn down an offer from an employer because I think they're paying me too much for what I produce

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Not allowed under the CBA unfortunately.

As for people calling out Jozy as lazy, he earned it. During the pandemic break everyone did at home training with their trainers on Zoom. Jozy asked to work out at home with his fiancee as she was preparing for the tennis season. He tweeted vids of him filming her work out hard. Then when the season resumed in Hartford he needed a few weeks to get in playing shape as he admitted he didn't keep fit enough. That's all I needed to hear from our long serving DP to earn the title of lazy. And people can say at home training doesn't equal game shape but everyone else who was playing from day one dealt with similar.
    You are wrong about appearances - for example see here - there are lots of ways to construct bonuses that would serve the purpose of protecting the team. But as Ensco points out, management left themselves in a position where they had no alternative to giving a long contract : Section 10.7 Ability to Qualify for Bonuses: MLS will not attempt to influence or dictate Team decisions concerning playing time or All-Star selection for the purpose of affecting a Player’s ability to qualify for bonuses and/or base salary adjustments specified in his SPA, nor will a Player’s entitlement to a bonus influence whether he is named to the Best Eleven Team, or whether he receives any other award. Team decisions concerning playing time or All-Star selection shall not be based in any way on the Player’s ability to qualify for bonuses and/or base salary adjustments specified in his SPA. Commissioner-picks for All-Star status do not violate this provision, provided, however, that whether a Player is entitled to a bonus and/or base salary adjustment for achieving All-Star status shall not influence whether a Player is named as a Commissioner-pick. Further, so long as a Player has an individual bonus that is contingent upon the maintenance of such an award or statistic, the Player will have the right to earn such bonus.

Also, re COVID fitness, it's beyond harsh to constantly call a player names because of that moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dichio was never an all-encompassing figure though and he was quite accepting of a lesser role in his later years.

Bad is just a stop on the road back to good, if we play it right. Let’s not take detours on the way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba was at the game last night!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the team does sign Seba, they're going to waste the one benefit of coming in last place - holding teams ransom using the top spot of the Allocation Order - so we can sign a 35 year old who may not provide much anymore.

Instead of being able to demand $200-500k in GAM/TAM, we'll use the spot on Jan 1 on Giovinco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that we played so well two games in a row without Pozuelo and with Soteldo in a more central position. Bradley Oso and Marky played well together both games. I am not rooting against Poz - he is a terrific player - it’s more a comment about balance and fit. ( And we were quite good before Soteldo came on)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting that we played so well two games in a row without Pozuelo and with Soteldo in a more central position. Bradley Oso and Marky played well together both games. I am not rooting against Poz - he is a terrific player - it’s more a comment about balance and fit. ( And we were quite good before Soteldo came on)
    I have a feeling that Pozuelo may have requested a transfer home, possibly pandemic related. If true, the Soteldo transfer starts to make a lot more sense. I could see Manning telling Curtis not to let things lapse like with Giovinco.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may just be that Seba wants to retire a Red. Hang around for a while, at a symbolic salary, teach something to the youngsters and hang up his tools.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the "how bad was our coaching" front: Griffin Dorsey scores another goal and add an assist as Houston. Two goals and an assist in nine appearances for them.

Maybe he wasn't a chicken with its head cut off. Maybe he was a frenetic Yankee version of Shaffelburg and we gave up before he'd had a chance to even fit in by giving him too little time to rise to the level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    I have a feeling that Pozuelo may have requested a transfer home, possibly pandemic related. If true, the Soteldo transfer starts to make a lot more sense. I could see Manning telling Curtis not to let things lapse like with Giovinco.
    Yes, it otherwise doesnt quite work - two really good players who arent addititive - unlike Seba and Jozy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    On the "how bad was our coaching" front: Griffin Dorsey scores another goal and add an assist as Houston. Two goals and an assist in nine appearances for them.

Maybe he wasn't a chicken with its head cut off. Maybe he was a frenetic Yankee version of Shaffelburg and we gave up before he'd had a chance to even fit in by giving him too little time to rise to the level.
    FWIW, I have a relative who is heavily involved in Indiana soccer who sent me a note at the moment we drafted Dorsey that essentially was " why did TFC take him? He isn't ready". But clearly others (our management, Houston) saw something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, I have a relative who is heavily involved in Indiana soccer who sent me a note at the moment we drafted Dorsey that essentially was " why did TFC take him? He isn't ready". But clearly others (our management, Houston) saw something.
    Speaking of the draft - with Charlotte coming in next year we'd end up with #2 for finishing dead last, yea?

Wonder how they'll screw that pick up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with you on this. And to add, our team is owned by two cable companies who have been ripping us off for decades, protected by a government supported monopoly. Why are some people so concerned about their finances? The only concern anyone should have regarding the DP spots is how they are used, as the spot is more valuable than what the players who occupy them are paid.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Speaking of the draft - with Charlotte coming in next year we'd end up with #2 for finishing dead last, yea?

Wonder how they'll screw that pick up
    They'll pass on anyone that has no U18/17/15 USMNT experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Molinaro has reported there is interest on both sides for a Seba return and don't be surprised to see him training with the team soon. It's in his weekly newsletter, a few other details in there too, go read it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    So Molinaro has reported there is interest on both sides for a Seba return and don't be surprised to see him training with the team soon. It's in his weekly newsletter, a few other details in there too, go read it.
    Can't be on the roster until next season, no harm in it. If he came in at a regular salary, maybe he adapts to being more of a Victor Vasquez type playmaker.

He's been quite effective at LA (although injured now, I think) but from the couple of games I watched is far less mobile than he was here, mostly camping just outside the box and then slipping balls to whoever's got the best look.

As long as Seba isn't our striker reinforcement, have at 'er. Good for the club's legacy.