Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm starting to think that if we lose Richie we're fucked. He's literally the only guy we have in attack with any kind of speed. We're already generally slow, and if he goes, we're even worse off. Look how Montreal ripped us apart with their speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    I'm starting to think that if we lose Richie we're fucked. He's literally the only guy we have in attack with any kind of speed. We're already generally slow, and if he goes, we're even worse off. Look how Montreal ripped us apart with their speed.
    Shaffleburg is faster than Richie.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same height as Giovinco

Age is good

Looks to be on the fringes of the NT

Can take pens & free kicks

This is all looking very familiar in a slightly downgraded way

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Same height as Giovinco

Age is good

Man, you were faster than me, lol...
    I wanted to post :
    "I'm the only one around here, who after seeing the video with this guy, I instantly thought he's like a little bit more modest Seba?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the face of it, this feels like a realistic possibility, to me. There are a whole bunch of reasons why this might make sense to the player. I don’t think Europe is very likely for him. I like his nickname: “La Manzanita”. The Little Apple.

But it sounds, predictably, messy. Like every deal in South America. Can Curtis and Manning win in these situations, where two clubs, two agents and the player all have claims?

I bet the fee for a player of this youth/caliber is higher than $6M. This guy is starting, creating, and sometimes starring, on a major team. Santos just sold a 25 year old CB to Benfica for $8M...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Ver%C3%ADssimo
    Last edited by ensco; 04-22-2021 at 07:18 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

out of curiosity, does anyone know where Poz plays in the new Armas formation.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Same height as Giovinco

Age is good

I was going to say Joao 'The Wee Man' Plata, but sure lol
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    out of curiosity, does anyone know where Poz plays in the new Armas formation.
    Where Okello has been - recessed striker, AM.

I THINK it would be put Delgado where Priso is, put Oso where Delgado has been & put Poz where Okello is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    That twitter link says that Santos owes 4 million for 50% of his rights. So if Santos owns 50% how are we buying 75 percent from them. Or are we buying 75%of 50% for 37.5%
    The problem is not the 4.8 they still owe, it is the 4.8 they still haven't paid. They offered 4.8 for 50%. Got the player, and never paid.

They still owe 9.6 to huchipato. If we pay 6 that is only good for about 75 % of what was agreed by Santos. If Santos, huchipato, and the player agree, we pay 75% of what Santos currently owes and get that much of his rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Santos would probably have to pay that 4M to Huchipato to get FIFA off their back and not get a transfer ban. Huchipato and the Chilean FA have apparently started proceedings with FIFA about the money owed.

Huchipato would then get 25% of the fee if TFC ever sold him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    Shaffleburg is faster than Richie.
    While true, his attacking utility has so far been limited to crosses from wide areas or cutting balls back for others to get onto.

He doesn’t look like he can directly attack the 18 yard box and slip through a ball to someone else or score himself. Sort of limits how much the other team has to respect his speed.

Now Laryea on the other hand. Let’s just call it what it is: he’s been our second best player for the past year or so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    On the face of it, this feels like a realistic possibility, to me. There are a whole bunch of reasons why this might make sense to the player. I don’t think Europe is very likely for him. I like his nickname: “La Manzanita”. The Little Apple.

But it sounds, predictably, messy. Like every deal in South America. Can Curtis and Manning win in these situations, where two clubs, two agents and the player all have claims?

I bet the fee for a player of this youth/caliber is higher than $6M. This guy is starting, creating, and sometimes starring, on a major team. Santos just sold a 25 year old CB to Benfica for $8M...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Ver%C3%ADssimo
    Might not be so bad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Agree. That sounds positive.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Registered
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All a bit of game, isn't it? As you note in your post, Europe is likely not call for him, so maybe that drives the price down a bit...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonO View Post
    All a bit of game, isn't it? As you note in your post, Europe is likely not call for him, so maybe that drives the price down a bit...
    I don't really understand the transfer market. I agree with your point about Europe.

Part of what caught my eye there was that Santos just sold a 25 year old to Europe for serious money. All those people who were emphatically stating as fact that Borre has no future in Europe because he is too old are welcome to explain the nuances of how this is different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like Soteldo, I think this would be a great signing for us!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't really understand the transfer market. I agree with your point about Europe.

Part of what caught my eye there was that Santos just sold a 25 year old to Europe for serious money. All those people who were emphatically stating as fact that Borre has no future in Europe because he is too old are welcome to explain the nuances of how this is different.
    Defenders mature later than attackers. Borre only wants to be on a champions league team. The kind of money he wants and position he wants are high end. A twenty million dollar attacker is different than an 8 million dollar defender.

As well Borre is a player with a poor history in Europe. All of things affect value.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rust View Post
    I really like Soteldo, I think this would be a great signing for us!
    I'm all in on the Soteldo speedboat

The Borre bus has broken down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't have a certain answer. I think the Europe conversation is case by case. Borré as a 25 year old striker, coming from South America is going to be viewed one way be European teams depending on which league they're in. The CB Veríssimo sold to Benfica is valuable because he's 25, slotted right into their squad, and it's not hard to imagine him having success domestically in Portugal, making a fraction of what Borré makes. The impression I got regarding Borré is that the tier he wants to play at in Europe isn't really shopping for players of his profile in Argentina. If a top club is going to give him a chance I don't see them backing up a brinks truck to do it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC2 signed Garrett McLaughlin. He played for Houston's USL-C team last year. He was drafted 8th overall in 2020/

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2021/0...ett-mclaughlin

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wondering how much of the timing for this move for a 3rd DP is dependent upon a result vs. Cruz Azul.

IF we wait for a DP until the summer, that's half the cap hit & we could get somebody else for that hit + the GAM we just got.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo turns 24 in the summer. Does this mean if they did a deal now he'd be a young DP for the rest of the season and full DP next year?

Young Designated Player

A Designated Player who is 23 years old (or younger than the age of 23) during the League Year (the age of the player is determined by year - not date - of birth) will carry the following Young Designated Player Salary Budget Charge:
    Ages 20 and younger: $150,000
    Ages 21-23: $200,000

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it fair to look a little bit deeper into this and gauge the quality vs. Other MLS team signings?

Certainly a few years back this unquestionably would be a gem. Today lots of MLS clubs are taking to South America and spending a few million bucks on a transfer.

How does he compare to guys Vancouver have on their radar (as a minimum bar) or that other teams have taken a swing at in the last twelve months? Thinking of the Nashville / Columbus / Minnesota types and hoping we’re a cut above.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to gauge whether we’re pushing the envelope or starting to spend more like a mid table team.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Is it fair to look a little bit deeper into this and gauge the quality vs. Other MLS team signings?

Certainly a few years back this unquestionably would be a gem. Today lots of MLS clubs are taking to South America and spending a few million bucks on a transfer.

How does he compare to guys Vancouver have on their radar (as a minimum bar) or that other teams have taken a swing at in the last twelve months? Thinking of the Nashville / Columbus / Minnesota types and hoping we’re a cut above.

Not trying to be negative, just trying to gauge whether we’re pushing the envelope or starting to spend more like a mid table team.
    considering that we still have jozy's substantial wages, it seems like a decent outlay.

will certainly be a substantially bigger outlay than piatti last season, for instance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo has been linked with Atlanta, Besiktas and the same Saudi club as Seba in the last 12 months. Santos were looking for close to 20m for him last summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo is following Jozy on Instagram now as well. He's pretty selective with his follows.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For comparisons sake, here's the list of current MLS DP's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design...gnated_Players

I would say the expectation would be he plays better then the NER DP's - that would be my measuring stick. Top 10 DP's in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based purely on Transfermarkt's market values (which is a flawed metric in many ways...) Soteldo would be tied for the 12th highest value in MLS ($8.8M). Rossi, Barco and Brenner would be the only players that are the same age or younger ahead of him on the list. This would, on paper at least, slot him in as one of the top DPs in the league. https://www.transfermarkt.us/major-l...ettbewerb/MLS1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://youtu.be/wcjLN_l4yW8
    He would tear MLS defenses apart. Really hope we get him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Soteldo is following Jozy on Instagram now as well. He's pretty selective with his follows.
    You think Jozy sees a rumor and then slides into that players DMs to do a bit of tapping up? He does speak Spanish....

That's Pellistri, Borre and now Soteldo where this has happened.