RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default TFC Republic - new TFC & CMNT news resource

New subscription news and analysis featuring John Molinaro's work (long-time TFC beat, CMNT, CWNT and CPL reporter), free trial on right now.

Given that other media have pared back all sports coverage this is a welcome addition to the information landscape.

I've always respected John's work, and am glad that there's someone out there who is an independent news voice giving their full-time to this.

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 04-12-2021 at 01:11 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s great news! I’ll definitely be subscribing.

I hope he includes some Italian recipes as well.

On Twitter, John mentioned he’ll also be doing some freelance work for CBC Sports, plus possibly Sportsnet. Looking forward to that as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, I think its fair to say that for whatever reason, the traditional sports media venues in this town where most of us put our money are no longer interested in TFC content beyond game reports and a weekly roundup article of what was discussed in the pressers. Kloke at the Athletic does a little an indepth article once a month or so.

If people want TFC content that's a bit more depth & more often, going to have to pay for it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moving this here....

______

Paid. Good luck to John. This road he is taking is not easy.

Just to help him along, this was hands down the best thing any journo has ever done on the TFC beat. I have it bookmarked.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/big-...ry-toronto-fc/
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'll be getting this for sure. Love his coverage on TFC. He's not one to sugar coat the situation, which i enjoy.

I thought his talents were wasted at CPL. not enough eyes on his work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Although I'm not a Toronto FC supporter (Juventus has been my club since I was a kid), I loved being a TFC beat reporter."

????

Does he mean that after all this time he doesn't actually care if the club wins or loses, or does he think he has to say this to project an air of 'professional credibility' or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seems like a smart move since basically all the major sports media has vacated the TFC space. Best of luck to John.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    "Although I'm not a Toronto FC supporter (Juventus has been my club since I was a kid), I loved being a TFC beat reporter."

????

Does he mean that after all this time he doesn't actually care if the club wins or loses, or does he think he has to say this to project an air of 'professional credibility' or something?
    No, he says this as a journalist - he does not care about the club in the same terms he cares about Juve. I would demure to jloome about the distinctions here but this is standard stuff from journalists covering a team.

E.g. there's a story about a journo who covered the Sounders for years, from before the MLS days, who cried when the team won in 2016 here. He didn't cry out of joy - he cried because the stress any team that hasn't reached the final pinnacle is under, in this case for a decade of not quite succeeding, that was finally broken & watching that & reporting on it daily affects you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have seen Molinaro interviewed on this. He says he roots for particular people at TFC but that it gets too complicated, he can't do his job if he were invested in TFC the way he is for Juve.

In the interview I remember (this was years ago), he specifically referenced Aron Winter, of whom he said something like "Aron is one of the best people I have ever met but he was wrong for the job, and I handle that differently if I am a true fan"
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ is available for hire. If het gets on the site you've got something cooking.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    KJ is available for hire. If het gets on the site you've got something cooking.
    I'd love to see a new Footy Show.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It just seems like a bit of a weird thing to say when asking TFC fans for money for coverage of the club. I'm sure he could've found a way to present that idea in a more positive sounding, less direct way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would rather read coverage from someone who isn't a die-hard fan. That is what makes it hard sometimes to read some stuff from guys like the Waking the Red guys and some of the TFC podcasts. I like objective views on things that allow me to make up my own mind on what I believe. These fan sites push their own narratives upon you and try to (for example) make you believe that every single player who played for TFC II in 2019 is a future superstar.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've decided to support John in this endeavour at least for one year - for only $50 I feel that I am fortunate enough to be able to help someone out who is trying to make a go of it in terms of providing TFC content which seems sorely lacking in general these days....hope as time goes on he will garner more contributors, but at $4 a month or so I don't think it's an outrageous ask (I figure whatever I am saving on tickets, transportation, parking, food/drink, and other expenses from actually going to games, it's a very small price to pay these days for TFC content) -- but to each their own I guess....good luck to you John!

(I do understand that money is very tight for some people especially these days, as we too have suffered job loss in my house this past year, but we were also fortunate enough to find other employment during the pandemic not too long afterwards, which clearly may have affected my decision making - and I would imagine similar circumstances may affect others in their decision making as well, in terms of their disposable income).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wonderful news, subscribed! I remember him from the old CBC live chat days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I would rather read coverage from someone who isn't a die-hard fan. That is what makes it hard sometimes to read some stuff from guys like the Waking the Red guys and some of the TFC podcasts. I like objective views on things that allow me to make up my own mind on what I believe. These fan sites push their own narratives upon you and try to (for example) make you believe that every single player who played for TFC II in 2019 is a future superstar.
    I agree, it’s nauseating.

What I miss, is TFC Pitchside. That was my favourite until they disbanded when one of the guys moved to Vancouver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post

????

He just means that he grew up a Juve fan. Considering he's in his forties, none of us can say they grew up a Toronto FC fan. I grew up watching Brazil in the World Cup, and didn't have an English team until Arsenal stole my heart.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see Molinaro back on the beat. Going to subscribe for the month at least and if the coverage isn't fluff and asks difficult questions, then I'll keep the subscription up for the year month-by-month so John sees a bigger return. Love to see a good journo back!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everybody.

John Molinaro here!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the support and positive comments about the launch of my new venture, TFC Republic

It's great to be back on the Toronto FC beat on a full-time basis and back doing something I really love, which is covering the team an in-depth and critical fashion.

I also enjoy engaging with TFC fans and my readers, so I hope you don't mind me coming here to post this comment!

Anytime you want to get a hold of me, just reach out to me via the website, as I'm more than happy to answer any questions.

And, of course, I hope you decide to subscribe to TFC Republic.

All the best,
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi John;

If you throw in an Italian cooking recipe once a week, you got my $50.00!

Cheers;

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Hey everybody.

John Molinaro here!

Just wanted to say thanks for all the support and positive comments about the launch of my new venture, TFC Republic

It's great to be back on the Toronto FC beat on a full-time basis and back doing something I really love, which is covering the team an in-depth and critical fashion.

I also enjoy engaging with TFC fans and my readers, so I hope you don't mind me coming here to post this comment!

Anytime you want to get a hold of me, just reach out to me via the website, as I'm more than happy to answer any questions.

And, of course, I hope you decide to subscribe to TFC Republic.

All the best,
    John

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey folks.

John Molinaro here.

Just want to say the response to TFC Republic has overwhelmed me. The subscription numbers are ahead of where I thought they’d be at this point.

The paywall was to go up today (Friday). But as a way to say thank you, I’m extending the free trial until Monday.

So you have a few more days to check out TFC Republic & all the great content before the paywall goes up - including an in-depth Q&A with Bill Manning that was just published.

I'll also have an in-depth story based on my lengthy, 1-on-1 chat with Octavio Zambrano about his time in charge at #canMNT and being replaced by John Herdman on Monday morning before the paywall goes up.

Once the free trial ends, you can still subscribe. Very reasonable rates: $8/month & $50/year for in-depth coverage of #TFCLive & Canadian soccer.

Hope you check it out!

John Molinaro

tfcrepublic.ca

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Glad to read, John. Happy to subscribe and support your work.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmolinaro View Post
    Hey folks.

John Molinaro here.

Just want to say the response to TFC Republic has overwhelmed me. The subscription numbers are ahead of where I thought they’d be at this point.

The paywall was to go up today (Friday). But as a way to say thank you, I’m extending the free trial until Monday.

So you have a few more days to check out TFC Republic & all the great content before the paywall goes up - including an in-depth Q&A with Bill Manning that was just published.

I'll also have an in-depth story based on my lengthy, 1-on-1 chat with Octavio Zambrano about his time in charge at #canMNT and being replaced by John Herdman on Monday morning before the paywall goes up.

Once the free trial ends, you can still subscribe. Very reasonable rates: $8/month & $50/year for in-depth coverage of #TFCLive & Canadian soccer.

Hope you check it out!

John Molinaro

tfcrepublic.ca
    Thank you, John. Subscribed for the year. Even though you are posting it before the deadline, I am betting that Zambrano interview alone is the worth the subscription fee. :-)

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm very pleased with my subscription. John Molinaro is producing more content for any TFC supporter or fan than all other non-MLSE/MLS media put together. It's high-quality content too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John has easily been the best read of any TFC journalist since the inception of the club

Well worth the $4.16 per month!
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you haven’t signed up for John’s site yet, you should. Very impressed with the depth and breadth of coverage. I have his site nearly permanently tabbed at this point so I can check for new articles.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    If you haven’t signed up for John’s site yet, you should. Very impressed with the depth and breadth of coverage. I have his site nearly permanently tabbed at this point so I can check for new articles.
    Agreed - I did wonder if he would be able to create enough content on his own but he posts quality articles in a very timely manner...
    Toronto 'til I die although still a Leeds fan at heart...

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now it's the one-year anniversary of TFC Republic. I have to say that John Molinaro's coverage of TFC, the CMNT and CWNT has been first-rate, better than all the other Toronto media combined. This is easily worth the $50 annual subscription fee. If anyone hasn't subscribed yet, I highly recommend it... even try 1 month for $8 if you aren't sure.

https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/