Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Networks have figured out that events that don’t get any incremental ratings (like an early round TFC CCL game, which will for sure get less than 100K) are not worth anything. Advertisers don’t value a soccer audience, they will pay the same as they would for everything else that draws flies, eg darts or a Leafs rebroadcast or whatever.

So whatever TSN can get from onesoccer or whomever is better than keeping it. They will just take it back if/when a Canadian team advances deep enough.
    I agree if all you measure is ratings and clicks. The one mistake with this is there is a longer term goodwill that isn't measured with specific ad placements. I have no doubt that Manning and Curtis are Soccer people, but long term goodwill and brand development in a market like Toronto is trickier than most realize. You cannot nickel and dime.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Networks have figured out that events that don’t get any incremental ratings (like an early round TFC CCL game, which will for sure get less than 100K) are not worth anything. Advertisers don’t value a soccer audience, they will pay the same as they would for everything else that draws flies, eg darts or a Leafs rebroadcast or whatever.

So whatever TSN can get from onesoccer or whomever is better than keeping it. They will just take it back if/when a Canadian team advances deep enough.
    The only value I could see for TSN would be from a technical aspect of getting a feel for doing a broadcast from Orlando as they will have to do once the regular season starts for TFC home games, but then I realized the Reds home leg vs Leon is actually being played at Osceola County Stadium in Kissimme, former of Orlando City's USL team.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    I agree if all you measure is ratings and clicks. The one mistake with this is there is a longer term goodwill that isn't measured with specific ad placements. I have no doubt that Manning and Curtis are Soccer people, but long term goodwill and brand development in a market like Toronto is trickier than most realize. You cannot nickel and dime.
    I think honestly they probably did not have a choice or say in this decision to pass it on One Soccer for whatever they got, even though TSN is a partner in MLSE. Each department, subsidiary etc has their own responsibility to their bottom line, whatever makes sense for them.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I think honestly they probably did not have a choice or say in this decision to pass it on One Soccer for whatever they got, even though TSN is a partner in MLSE. Each department, subsidiary etc has their own responsibility to their bottom line, whatever makes sense for them.
    Although you're probably right on this, someone needs to recognize that this is a case of the "sum is greater than individual parts". If TSN carries the CCL, it's a loss leader, but it grows the profile of their other asset (TFC) and increases the marketability of the team and improves in stadium advertising revenue as well.

I think Rogers has done a good job of this with the Jays (for the most part). They've realized that the Jays can just be a giant billboard for anything related to Rogers Wireless, internet, cable, etc. Perhaps harder with MLSE due to the shared ownership structure.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giving these games to OneSoccer makes TSN look better with the CSA, seeing as OneSoccer is basically the CPL's version of SUM.

All about 2026.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how sustainable OneSoccer is. They seem to be paying for a lot of rights to random leagues and I am not sure they can bring in enough subscribers to turn a profit on any of them.

I consider myself a pretty big fan and I only subscribe to them for months like these where they have NT games and now CCL. If TFC goes out against Leon I will likely cancel my subscription until June. 10 bucks isn't much, but all the different streaming services to watch soccer really adds up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's funny about cable. Bundling like that doesn't make sense long term. Cord cutting grows every year. But it takes a long time for consumer behaviour to really change.

Reminds me of Blockbuster. Everyone knew it would die, but it took 20+ years for video on demand to really happen.

If Blockbuster is the right comparable cable will go from dying gradually to dying suddenly with the snap of a finger.

Give poor onesoccer and all the rest a break. Netflix was crap too at the beginning, for years.

I suspect we will eventually have a sophisticated player that aggregates all the soccer content under one umbrella, and we are not going to like the pricing, as it'll cost more than cable does currently. That's what has happened in a lot of Europe.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-30-2021 at 03:10 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Giving these games to OneSoccer makes TSN look better with the CSA, seeing as OneSoccer is basically the CPL's version of SUM.

All about 2026.
    It has nothing to do with OneSoccer, kudos to them. When was the team going to tell their fanbase, now you may then respond with they only figured it out last night to defend them. And I call BS on that because they would have know two weeks ago that it was a possibility. They had two town halls and they have been saying we are getting ready for Leon. It is simply a lack of respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trying not to be cynical and nothing against OneSoccer (it should be supported) they negotiated part of this deal last January 2020 but introducing a new subscription service for the team a week before the game... unbelievable. TFC could fund the subscription for one month for SSH that's a $100-200k but grows their base, grows OneSoccer builds a caring brand.... IT IS TOO EASY.
    This is a great point. With group discounts and a expanded awareness for One Soccer they probably could have negotiated this at a fraction of the price quoted.

But that would have taken an actual knowledge of the fan base, novel thinking, and empathy for their customers.

The attitude we get from these guys is like they are above providing any explanations.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is simply a lack of respect.
    More likely they are just disorganized, kind of in fail mode, overwhelmed. I can't even imagine the crazy they must be dealing with. The medical stuff, the weird arrangements in a weird state (Florida), this Mexico trip (across a border in the pandemic), the Mexican side of this (how do you stay safe there?), all the family stuff....

This season is probably a writeoff, all kinds of things are going to go wrong. It's not the FO's fault. TO sports teams are totally screwed by the pandemic.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More likely they are just disorganized, kind of in fail mode, overwhelmed. I can't even imagine the crazy they must be dealing with. The medical stuff, the weird arrangements in a weird state (Florida), this Mexico trip (across a border in the pandemic), the Mexican side of this (how do you stay safe there?), all the family stuff....

This season is probably a writeoff, all kinds of things are going to go wrong. It's not the FO's fault. TO sports teams are totally screwed by the pandemic.

Again, I am a massive fan and I love the club. The FO gets paid significant dollars to do this and only this. They are part of MLSE and have those resources assisting the way as well. Think of the teams in this league that have none of that backing, but appear to be coping. I am not trying to humiliate them, I am just saying they are supposed to be professionals, just like the players on the field. They are supposed to be the top in the North American soccer world, and quite frankly from the outside looking in, they appear to not care much about their most loyal fanbase. It is the really small and not expensive things that make the difference.... customer first. Maybe they could read this forum and wake up.

Oh and btw, the FO just received extended contracts.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 03-30-2021 at 05:41 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN owns the rights - this isn't a TFC thing at all.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everyone remember Tfc and goal tv? Lol

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm confused on how showing the games on more expensive TSN is "making the games available to the fans", but showing it on the cheaper OneSoccer service isn't. It's not like they give us TSN discounts (unlike CPL SSH who do get OneSoccer discounts.

Personally, with the schedule being so back-end heavy, I'm hoping that we do have at least half-the-season in the stands. But if not - it's not like we are losing much, other than interest on our tickets. Current rate for my bank account is 0.05%. That would be 50¢ a year on $1,000.

Besides - wasn't there an option to get a refund without losing SSH status?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kottisinick View Post
    Hey everyone remember Tfc and goal tv? Lol
    Yep most definitely. TFC Today was the daily show, Some of those GOL TV TFC Broadcasts ratings were dreadful, 10-15K even.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't really tell what the lineup will be from the highlights of the CBus friendly except maybe Jozy starting. Did not see any defender baring Auro & I think Dunn in one shot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't really tell what the lineup will be from the highlights of the CBus friendly except maybe Jozy starting. Did not see any defender baring Auro & I think Dunn in one shot.
    They must have been shooting the whole time from the end the Reds were attacking. Depending on the knocks that have been mentioned some have picked up, wonder if we make see Singh, Yaro etc play against Leon, at least be on the roster? They would not have to sign an MLS contract to do so as its not a league game.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey...we got a game in 2 days

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can we guess the starting line up? I have no idea who is healthy.

Westberg
    Auro Gonzalez Mavinga Morrow
    Laryea Delgado Bradley Osorio
    Pozuelo
    Altidore

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Can we guess the starting line up? I have no idea who is healthy.

Westberg
    Auro Gonzalez Mavinga Morrow
    Laryea Delgado Bradley Osorio
    Pozuelo
    Altidore
    That looks reasonable. However I thought there was news of some mild injuries? I'm guessing we might see one or two young guys in the starting lineup. We've had limited pre-season games, and almost no info about the lineups during those games, nor how people played (aside from the goals). Plus a new coach with a new philosophy. I think the lineups for the next few games can only be guessed.

Do we know the number of subs allowed? Is it still 5 subs, during no more than 3 interruptions in play (plus half-time, and full-time if the game goes to overtime)?

I don't even know the overtime & away-goal rules for this edition of the CCL...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From all of the information that this website has gathered together (good detective work guys)I now know that there is a soccer team named Toronto FC based out of Florida.
    Management in the past two years has totally ignored the knowledgeable fans with their crap attitude so the cynic in me is ready to say FU after being a day one supporter.
    Sad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is game week and I am not as excited as I feel like I should be.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by levyashin View Post
    From all of the information that this website has gathered together (good detective work guys)I now know that there is a soccer team named Toronto FC based out of Florida.
    Management in the past two years has totally ignored the knowledgeable fans with their crap attitude so the cynic in me is ready to say FU after being a day one supporter.
    Sad
    Actually, the one thing i buy into is releasing very little on what we are doing (new formation, healthy players etc. etc. ) The less Leon knows the better, there is merit to that argument. We shall see.

I think we will see a couple of the young guys as well.

COYRs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the one thing i buy into is releasing very little on what we are doing (new formation, healthy players etc. etc. ) The less Leon knows the better, there is merit to that argument. We shall see.

I think we will see a couple of the young guys as well.

COYRs
    I mean, you can market the team without releasing much in the way of useful information to the opposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Leon were unaware of what Marshall-Rutty looked like before, they know now as TFC have released more photos of him on Twitter in the past month than he has professional minutes played. Huge disadvantage for TFC, IMO.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    If Leon were unaware of what Marshall-Rutty looked like before, they know now as TFC have released more photos of him on Twitter in the past month than he has professional minutes played. Huge disadvantage for TFC, IMO.
    Scouting reports based on photos alone.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder - LigaMx teams traditionally use some 3 digit on the back youth players in these round of 16 games too.

We really have no clue what we are going to face either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a reminder - LigaMx teams traditionally use some 3 digit on the back youth players in these round of 16 games too.

We really have no clue what we are going to face either.
    Guess we’ll have to see. Historically that was definitely the case but I think this tournament started to get a bit of heat after MLS teams knocked out a few Liga MX sides and there was a lot of hand wringing in the Mexican Press.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Super excited that we have a match this week. Really have no idea what to expect from our side but I cannot wait for Wednesday night!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I mean, you can market the team without releasing much in the way of useful information to the opposition.

I was saying it under the context of releasing footage, not the way they are managing the fan base, apologies for the confusion.