Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    if that was the only data point to consider then sure.. our defense is unbeatable. i have watched more than last night however so my impression is that something is wrong with our backline. i think this despite the success in one match where the other team had 18 shots and missed 2 impossible to miss chances, hit the woodwork 2x, and had at least 1 goal called back on a close offside.
    But that was never the point. Nobody has stated that Zavs is now somehow an infallible CB or that the past never happened.

It was just to say last night, he didn’t play all that badly...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, “missing impossible to miss chances”, there is often good defending in the mix on those plays, when forwards don’t have time to get something right.

If we had allowed three last night, I still would have felt the backline did well. This wasn’t Nashville. They were way overmatched in a tough situation (no practice, altitude, serious players with skill up front everywhere)

Based on no Mavinga, Bradley moving forward, and Auro and Zavaleta last year, I expected 5 or 6 goals against.
    Last edited by ensco; 04-08-2021 at 04:07 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    On reflection, fascinating.

What is the order of our midfielders? Based on today, I’d say:

Bradley
    Pozeuelo
    Osorio
    Delgado
    OKello
    Priso
    Fraser

And there is room for four

Add the winger / midfielders and I don’t even know where to start

Shaff
    Endoh
    Gallardo
    DeLeon
    Achara

And I am missing some. But that’s 12 competent midfielders for four spots. Will be interesting to watch.
    The winger spots are an open competition at this point I think, but Shaff did really well last night.

As for the mids I'd still have Poz over Bradley and Priso over Okello. Fraser meanwhile needs to go to a team where he'll actually have a chance at regular starts because it's obvious he won't get that here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Also, “missing impossible to miss chances”, there is often good defending in the mix on those plays, when forwards don’t have time to get something right.

If we had allowed three last night, I still would have felt the backline did well. This wasn’t Nashville. They were way overmatched in a tough situation (no practice, altitude, serious players with skill up front everywhere)

Based on no Mavinga, Bradley moving forward, and Auro and Zavaleta last year, I expected 5 or 6 goals against.
    We had some issues in building any offence even when we had good position, but that's somewhat to be expected with a new high press/middle block systems.

They had five players in their starting lineup, at least, who would be DPs in MLS. We did really well. If they'd dropped three or four on us it could've been done without embarrassment even being involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    We had some issues in building any offence even when we had good position, but that's somewhat to be expected with a new high press/middle block systems.

They had five players in their starting lineup, at least, who would be DPs in MLS. We did really well. If they'd dropped three or four on us it could've been done without embarrassment even being involved.
    Takes a writer to nail it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't be happier about this result. It feels so opposite from how disappointing our last go at this was. At least the crowd wanting us to concentrate on other competitions can't complain on waste of resources.

We did less than we were lucky to get this far.
    FORMER FULL TIME KOOL-AID DRINKER

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I've been thinking, Wednesday night was the first time I properly "got into" a sports event since the pandemic started. I am grateful for that.

I was so sure we would get pounded that I didn't even buy the game until 7.55pm.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^I've been thinking, Wednesday night was the first time I properly "got into" a sports event since the pandemic started. I am grateful for that.

I was so sure we would get pounded that I didn't even buy the game until 7.55pm.

Welcome back ensco

Know the feeling - apart from TFC games, the first sports game I watched in full since Covid started was only a week ago - just couldn't maintain the interest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    But that was never the point. Nobody has stated that Zavs is now somehow an infallible CB or that the past never happened.

It was just to say last night, he didn’t play all that badly...

Aside from the bad pass to Bono and him not keeping possession on the sideline when Bono sent him the ball it was pretty good.