View Poll Results: When BMO opens up for TFC games?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 1-30

0 0%
  • July 1-31

6 12.24%
  • August 1-31

11 22.45%
  • September 1-30

16 32.65%
  • October 1-31

7 14.29%
  • November 1-30

9 18.37%
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW...CDC guidance for fully vaccinated and non-fully vaccinated people just put out today

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also with the province's announcement today that all adults in Ontario will be able to get their first shot by the end of May I certainly believe we are getting closer to things opening up. I will be very interested to see what businesses are able to do in terms of only allowing vaccinated people into their venue and place of business. How far will Ontario go with this. I can not see the Trudeau and company legislating any federal mandates on this subject out of those visiting the country ie travel. Will bars and restraints be able to ask if you have been vaccinated and only allow those that have in?

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clarify - the announcement today was people could by the end of the month be able to book an appointment. In some parts of the province, those appointment waits through the provincial system are 3 weeks minimum.

Next week, in theory, they roll out appointment creation to the first group of 18+ working in essential industries - that group is huge, close to 15% of the working population. Lets see how long it takes for those people to get an appointment.

Like, this is all good but the devil is in the details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think we're at around 35% of adults vaccinated, and we're vaccinating just under 1% of adults a day and that rate is set to nearly double if it matches the supply increase. Definitely won't be appointments available for everybody come end of May, but we're very, very close to hitting the point where the US is at now where we've open appointment slots and we're trying to fill them. Certainly, the everyone who wants a vaccine getting one by June 20th timeline now looks very comfortable and is probably padding it by a week or so

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will people be able to book an appointment now as long as they are eligible on the day they get their actually shot? I was able to do that with my AZ shot. The website when i booked it through Guardian Drugs still said over 55 when I booked, it two days before the age was official dropped to 40, the same day i got my dose. People will still in my eyes have to look in many different directions.

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just to clarify - the announcement today was people could by the end of the month be able to book an appointment. In some parts of the province, those appointment waits through the provincial system are 3 weeks minimum.

Next week, in theory, they roll out appointment creation to the first group of 18+ working in essential industries - that group is huge, close to 15% of the working population. Lets see how long it takes for those people to get an appointment.

Like, this is all good but the devil is in the details.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Will people be able to book an appointment now as long as they are eligible on the day they get their actually shot? I was able to do that with my AZ shot. The website when i booked it through Guardian Drugs still said over 55 when I booked, it two days before the age was official dropped to 40, the same day i got my dose. People will still in my eyes have to look in many different directions.
    There is no guidance as to how exactly this will be done.

In essence what happened today

Province - "Here's the new plan for who can get what shots when"

Every 30-39 Year old in the media - SQUEEEEL ME SOOOOON!!!!!

QP reporters - so we see there are people getting shots sooner

Province - "Yes, because we have more shots"

End scene

Might be a bit more clarification tomorrow but it being a Friday, maybe not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My bet is like a lot of entry requirements for US Stadiums/Arenas, you will need proof of vaccination (X2) to enter, and/or a negative test result within the last “X” days, and everyone will still be required to be masked, with limited capacity. I just can’t see it any other way for this season at least (maybe starting in August/September?!)....or maybe I’m just projecting wishful thoughts, as my second shot is scheduled for the beginning of August, so maybe by mid-August or September I can go to BMO again?!
    Last edited by tfcfans; 04-30-2021 at 08:49 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Side note: Pfizer doses now coming to Canada from the US rather than Europe. It seems getting that changed was not as big a deal as previously thought. Apparently the US export restrictions just expired? So far arriving on the same accelerated schedule as recently announced for Pfizer. So no more risk of vaccine exports being blocked by Europe. I’m sticking with my prediction of limited attendance at BMO Field by the end of August.

On the flip side, the European vaccination rate will also increase in the coming weeks. I predict kvetching will increase here yet again in certain circles, seeing how being 2nd or 3rd best in the G20 for over a month also wasn’t enough.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    On the flip side, the European vaccination rate will also increase in the coming weeks. I predict kvetching will increase here yet again in certain circles, seeing how being 2nd or 3rd best in the G20 for over a month also wasn’t enough.
    The chart put out by the National Post that shows us 33rd in "fully vaccinated" is always funny because it compares us to the "nation" of Gibralter which has less people in it then Georgetown.

This country made a conscious decision to vaccinate more people once instead of vaccinating less people fully. That choice was made across political lines. And yet, people of a certain political persuasion are trying to use the lack of people fully vaccinated as a cudgel against another political persuasion. Its duplicitious & easily seen to be partisan. I have no time right now for partisan games.

4.76 % of the population got a vaccine in the last week

We keep going

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Canada Will Require Using A Vaccine Passport For Entry

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...VHdz-zKg6PBlFQ

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chart put out by the National Post that shows us 33rd in "fully vaccinated" is always funny because it compares us to the "nation" of Gibralter which has less people in it then Georgetown.

This country made a conscious decision to vaccinate more people once instead of vaccinating less people fully. That choice was made across political lines. And yet, people of a certain political persuasion are trying to use the lack of people fully vaccinated as a cudgel against another political persuasion. Its duplicitious & easily seen to be partisan. I have no time right now for partisan games.

4.76 % of the population got a vaccine in the last week

We keep going
    Partisanship aside, as the US CDC made it very clear last week, people are not "vaccinated" and can't relax restrictions until they have had two doses. That CDC guidance is based on solid science. Now we are catching up on vaccinations - even with the shortage of AZ vaccine from India, and it looks like most people will be able to get a second shot by August. So bums in seats at BMO looks more likely for September than before then.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add to the discussion point

England is looking at when to open up & outdoor sports is one of the last to go to full capacity based on the amount of people who take public transport to & from the stadiums.

I'm remembering the tunnel to Liberty village after a match & all I could think was

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this going to be a yearly shot for the foreseeable future?

Just waiting for the shoe to drop when governments say not enough people are vaccinated, things will never get to normal for some people if there is even a single case.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to add to the discussion point

England is looking at when to open up & outdoor sports is one of the last to go to full capacity based on the amount of people who take public transport to & from the stadiums.

I'm remembering the tunnel to Liberty village after a match & all I could think was
    Their current plan is to open the final two games of the season to supporters. They rejigged the schedule already to allow for it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does this come into the Canadian government's mindset when considering when to open the border and their approach to what measures will be in play when travel resumes?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow Red CB, I haven't seen those number on a map before! I think both the US and Cdn government will be looking at that carefully.

Another way to look at the numbers: the US is now hoping to deliver at least one shot to 70 per cent of adult Americans by July Fourth. In the US, the issue is both outright anti-vax sentiment for some, and simple procrastination or disinterest by others, especially younger people. Case numbers are down right now in many areas of the US; many of these people were never that personally concerned (rightly or wrongly).

In Ontario and most of Canada, they're hoping to get at least one shot to 80% of adults by around June 20th. Right now the US has given at least one shot to 45% of the population; in Canada that number is now 35%. Many models show Canada passing the US in that metric within a few weeks. Let's see if Canada also reaches a point of lower uptake before reaching 80% of adults, but surveys say there's a lower level of vaccine hesitancy here.

I realize the real goal is fully vaccinated / two shots, which will take longer in Canada. But if people aren't even getting their first shot, they're not getting their second either. At least in the US, those are numbers which present serious issues for large crowded events like sports & concerts. Also the risk of a slow burn, with an ongoing relatively high level of infection, and a huge risk of even more problematic disease variants evolving, some of which will be a problem even for the vaccinated. Especially as remaining public health measures will soon disappear or be ignored.

Hopefully both the US and Canada can convince more people to get vaccinated to get a handle on the situation. Vaccine passports are being discussed in many countries. I don't understand how they should work. The US CDC cards are easily faked. In Canada, we're receiving a variety of documentation when we're vaccinated; it's not even uniform. For anyone who is seriously anti-vax, it seems like it would be easy to get around these things with a fake document, especially if they will be required for things like sporting events or crossing the border???

EDIT I got that number of 45% with at least one shot in the US from https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker/ Now I've seen other numbers in an article, that 56% have at least one shot in the US. I don't know what's up with that.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-05-2021 at 06:54 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the best place to see vaccine stats

The UK is doing this differently in that they are rolling out free rapid tests to anybody that wants one - they are going for covid Zero. A lot of people in the US seem to think Covid is over. Canada is in danger of that thinking as well as much of the media class either has a 1st shot or will be able to schedule a 1st shot in the next 3 weeks. I worry that Ontario is going to open up too early - this government has form for bowing to pressure about long weekends.

The fact Alberta is a dumpster fire (still not closing retail even though rates per 100K are equivalent to India) is unfortunately going to affect how Canada & the US interact on all this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a CBC article this morning with speculation the border won't open until late summer or fall. Apparently the current border regime is set to be renewed on May 21 - all the expectation is it will be renewed. Doesn't help the Premier is out there pushing for tighter borders at the moment (as a way to deflect blame back to the feds). I see the Blue Jays are starting their first home stand in Buffalo. Getting TFC back to BMO is the first step but I can't see that happening until September at the earliest based on the border situation.

Those numbers Red CB posted are worrisome. Opens the potential of another wave in the US in September/October.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly I dont see them putting vaccine passports into place.
    We will just be attending BMO trusting that people have their vax.
    We still have flights landing with covid infections, we have people openly gaming the system by flying to a border city and walking or driving across. We have people at airports openly refusing the hotel.
    There is no way to ensure everyone at BMO or the pub before or the ttc go train etc is vaccinated. Because nothing of that nature seems to have been enforced to date.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    We still have flights landing with covid infections, we have people openly gaming the system by flying to a border city and walking or driving across. We have people at airports openly refusing the hotel.
    There is no way to ensure everyone at BMO or the pub before or the ttc go train etc is vaccinated. Because nothing of that nature seems to have been enforced to date.
    The Blue Jays will be playing the rest of the season in Buffalo. New York currently allows 24% capacity at that venue, around 4,000 of the 16,600 seats. Fans aged three and older must present proof of full vaccination or a negative COVID-19 test within 72 hours of the game in order to attend Jays games. With the US generally being more lax with things like that, I don't see why something similar couldn't be implemented here. Consider also that there may be liability issues otherwise for the venue or the event organizer.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am pretty sure we we see some sort of voluntary vaccine passport in place simply because of travel and what other countries will require for those visiting from aboard. The big question in my mind will be here at home and what business's will be allowed to do in terms of asking customers/attendees if they are fully vaccinated? Going to sporting events and concerts is totally discretionary and as such its your choice if you want to go or not. In this situation could having your jabs be a requirement of attendance.

Will bars and restaurants be able to choose if they only want to serve those that have been vaccinated for peace of mind of both staff and customers?

New York for instates has created an app that is completely voluntary and you can use when attending sporting events that require it. It will also go a long way in re-opening Broadway. I know some states have completely made it illegal for any business to ask if you have got your shot(s) but I think here in Canada we will find a balance between privacy, safety and choice.

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the feds just talked about an international travel standard for vaccinations

PAYWALL star story

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just genuinely curious how it plays out. Obviously we all want to be back at BMO, and safely. But health canada just approved the vax for ages 12 and up, so will MLSE require a vax pass for kids as well?
    As I doubt we will be back to full capacity before 2022, there is a lot of time to figure this out. Surely other leagues will establish a system first.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having at least 70% is what is needed to reach herd immunity in the US according to John Hopkins's School of Public Health. It will have to overcome some hesitancy and indifference for that matter to reach it. On the map I posted you certainly see the parts of the US where people are getting their shots over areas where less people are.

https://www.jhsph.edu/covid-19/artic...h-covid19.html

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wow Red CB, I haven't seen those number on a map before! I think both the US and Cdn government will be looking at that carefully.

Another way to look at the numbers: the US is now hoping to deliver at least one shot to 70 per cent of adult Americans by July Fourth. In the US, the issue is both outright anti-vax sentiment for some, and simple procrastination or disinterest by others, especially younger people. Case numbers are down right now in many areas of the US; many of these people were never that personally concerned (rightly or wrongly).

In Ontario and most of Canada, they're hoping to get at least one shot to 80% of adults by around June 20th. Right now the US has given at least one shot to 45% of the population; in Canada that number is now 35%. Many models show Canada passing the US in that metric within a few weeks. Let's see if Canada also reaches a point of lower uptake before reaching 80% of adults, but surveys say there's a lower level of vaccine hesitancy here.

I realize the real goal is fully vaccinated / two shots, which will take longer in Canada. But if people aren't even getting their first shot, they're not getting their second either. At least in the US, those are numbers which present serious issues for large crowded events like sports & concerts. Also the risk of a slow burn, with an ongoing relatively high level of infection, and a huge risk of even more problematic disease variants evolving, some of which will be a problem even for the vaccinated. Especially as remaining public health measures will soon disappear or be ignored.

Hopefully both the US and Canada can convince more people to get vaccinated to get a handle on the situation. Vaccine passports are being discussed in many countries. I don't understand how they should work. The US CDC cards are easily faked. In Canada, we're receiving a variety of documentation when we're vaccinated; it's not even uniform. For anyone who is seriously anti-vax, it seems like it would be easy to get around these things with a fake document, especially if they will be required for things like sporting events or crossing the border???

EDIT I got that number of 45% with at least one shot in the US from https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-vaccine-tracker/ Now I've seen other numbers in an article, that 56% have at least one shot in the US. I don't know what's up with that.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So one shot only of Pfizer close to useless against the B.1.1.7 variant, which makes up 90% of Ontario cases. So no serious opening up can happen until everyone gets two shots.

https://torontosun.com/news/study-si...ing-is-riskier

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    So one shot only of Pfizer close to useless against the B.1.1.7 variant, which makes up 90% of Ontario cases. So no serious opening up can happen until everyone gets two shots.

end of august then, sounds good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't want to make this topic into a COVID debate topic, however the author of this study discussed how Qatar had a three week timespan between dose 1 and dose 2, with very few people delaying dose 2. The author noted that many of the individuals who tested positive for COVID likely had it prior to dose 1 and the study should not be interpreted as a meaningful study on the efficacy of a single dose vs. two doses, other than that two doses is obviously better than two.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oldtimer that article is a crock. It totally misrepresents the results. As noxx98 noted, some of the infected likely had the infection before their first dose. The study also included infections that occurred within 14 days of the first dose, when immunity has not yet developed and is not expected.

In the real world, the UK did extremely well with a delayed 2nd dose strategy, including Pfizer. The B.1.1.7 variant is from there, so those results are obviously relevant for Canada. With increasing vaccine supplies, the 2nd dose will likely be accelerated for the oldest and the immune-compromised, which is where the only real risk lies according to multiple studies.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-07-2021 at 03:08 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please refrain from posting bunk science in the BOM opening thread, please and thank you.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people got a lot of jabs this week.

&

We are on pace to match the US % for vaccinated later this month