View Poll Results: When BMO opens up for TFC games?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 1-30

0 0%
  • July 1-31

6 12.24%
  • August 1-31

11 22.45%
  • September 1-30

16 32.65%
  • October 1-31

7 14.29%
  • November 1-30

9 18.37%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Not really basing it on any numbers or anything, but I get the feeling they won't re-open everything until next year. I bet they'll feel it's all too risky and messy.
    have you seen the doug ford gotv?

they've been opening stuff whenever the ICU entries drop a bit.

what do you think they're going to do when ICU entries hit rock bottom in august?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    You're not vaccinated until you have two doses (unless you get J&J). September is when I expect to see BMO open to fans.

Oh, I know - got my AZ 1st dose this week. I'm basing stuff on 16 weeks interval & then 2 weeks after and a passport & limited capacity at first.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    lol, 1 dose is 80% protection, 2nd brings it up to 90% for most.
    These stats are true for the original strain, and for the most common variant. Apparently a single dose doesn't work against two of the variants out there. You need both. Here's an article by an American epidemiologist telling the US not to follow Canada's example for that very reason.

https://www.thinkglobalhealth.org/ar...are-better-one

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Oh, I know - got my AZ 1st dose this week. I'm basing stuff on 16 weeks interval & then 2 weeks after and a passport & limited capacity at first.
    Congrats on getting a shot. Hopefully shot #2 will come sooner than 16 weeks, health officials are optimistic.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These stats are true for the original strain, and for the most common variant. Apparently a single dose doesn't work against two of the variants out there. You need both. Here's an article by an American epidemiologist telling the US not to follow Canada's example for that very reason.

There are lots of articles by epidemiologists and other experts on both sides of this argument. Canada's recommendation was made by NACI, who are all experts. We shall see I guess. Plus what's good for the US (with an abundance of vaccine doses) may be different for the 99% of countries with more limited vaccine availability. The author also alludes to the increasing vaccine availability in the US in this article (which is from March 18th).

And what's good for Ontario (mostly the UK variant of COVID) may even be different from BC (largest cluster of P1 Brazilian variant outside of Brazil, very worrisome).

It's odd the author mentioned Germany specifically as a country using a delayed second-dose strategy, as Germany is actually being more conservative with that than many others. They're administering 2nd doses quite quickly. As a result, Germany's total number of doses administered per hundred pop. is similar to many other countries like Finland, near the top in the EU, and currently about 1% or 1 day ahead of Canada. On the other hand, Germany's percentage of at least partially-immunized population, with at least first doses administered, is relatively low compared to many of these countries. Some experts in Germany are very happy about that, some not so much.

Hopefully especially the most vulnerable get the 2nd dose relatively quickly in Canada, as they seem to be less responsive to the first dose, even of the mRNA vaccines. That's already been taken care of in LTC, and hopefully it soon extends to all of the oldest and other immunocompromised population. Finland for example had a very deliberate strategy from the start, that only the most seriously at risk get their 2nd dose quickly.

Congrats on getting a shot. Hopefully shot #2 will come sooner than 16 weeks, health officials are optimistic.
    My wife also got AZ #1 yesterday, woohoo! (I'm too young.) AZ seems to be a vaccine that specifically does better with a longer gap between 1st and 2nd dose. Yeah not necessarily 16 weeks, but longer than what the manufacturer originally recommended. Note that AZ (like all the manufacturers rushing to beat this disease) didn't have time to test different gaps before the original release of their vaccine.

Also NACI's "maximum 16 weeks gap" seems to have turned into "minimum 16 weeks gap" in many conversations, that should not be the case.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-09-2021 at 10:52 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats great to hear you got your first jab. With the AZ being done through the pharmacies and each one being left to their devices on how they handle them, from appointments, walk-ins you may be able to get one earlier. One pharmacist this week was giving priority to teachers. The provincial system for Moderna and Pfizer is a different story. When my parents for their Pfizer shots at Sunnybrook last week they were given appointments in July for their second dose. Now it may get moved up depending on how things go over the next couple months, we shall see.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW if anyone above 55 wants to get the AZ vaccine quickly, my wife called Northcliffe Pharmacy on Eglinton West yesterday morning and got her shot within 2 1/2 hours. (That's a Guardian / IDA pharmacy.) She was already registered with Shoppers and Rexall longer but hasn't heard from them yet.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the UK are doing the one dose strategy and it's working.

they are on course to hit herd immunity very soon.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...box=1617868868

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    the UK are doing the one dose strategy and it's working.

they are on course to hit herd immunity very soon.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...box=1617868868

I'm not an epidemiologist and I don't believe any of us here are. I'm only pointing out that experts think there are reasons why a single dose strategy (that may * possibly * be working in the UK, but they question that if you read the article) won't lead to an early reopening of everything. So it may be wishful thinking that fans will be in the stands in May.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not an epidemiologist and I don't believe any of us here are. I'm only pointing out that experts think there are reasons why a single dose strategy (that may * possibly * be working in the UK, but they question that if you read the article) won't lead to an early reopening of everything. So it may be wishful thinking that fans will be in the stands in May.
    i don't think by may btw, i think they'll be back in toronto by june, but fans back in by july.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Blue Jays are expecting to play in Buffalo through the summer.

https://www.mlb.com/amp/news/blue-ja...mpression=true

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put October. I can't see fans being in there til then. Hopefully I'm wrong...
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The poll has closed.

So the most people think BMO will open with butts in the stands in September.

One more thing is shown by this poll: just 49 voters on a issue on which I guess every forum participant would have an opinion.
    Which means the forum is read these days regularly by just a handful of guys... pretty sad. I think in better times we would have seen at least 150 voters.

There is some excitement painfully missing around this team.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t vote because I truly have no idea.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn’t vote because it’s not an option on my iPhone X

RPB Member
    Vice-President

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    The poll has closed.

So the most people think BMO will open with butts in the stands in September.

One more thing is shown by this poll: just 49 voters on a issue on which I guess every forum participant would have an opinion.
    Which means the forum is read these days regularly by just a handful of guys... pretty sad. I think in better times we would have seen at least 150 voters.

There is some excitement painfully missing around this team.
    I think the current situation in Ontario is getting a lot of us down in general. When we start playing regular games we'll see an uptick for sure ... but the non-signings from the club have certainly taken their toll on the excitement level.
    Road Games:
    2013 - Montréal , 2014 - Orlando (Disney Classic), Montréal
    2015 - Columbus, New England, Montréal
    2016 - NYCFC (Leg 2 Conference Semis), Montréal (Leg 1 Conference Final)
    2017 - Ottawa (Leg 1 Canadian Championship Semi), DCU, Red Bulls (Leg 1 Conference Final), Columbus (Leg 2 Conference Final)
    2019 - Montréal, NYCFC (Eastern Conference Semi @ Citi Field), Seattle (MLS Cup Final)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife and I got our first shot last Monday, Pfizer, our second dose is scheduled for June 26th I believe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was discussed yesterday as one reason why a planned Sunday friendly with Inter Miami didn't happen.

Bunch of the team got vaccinated this weekend. (No, there was no sign of DeLeon)

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status...69847030345732

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to see, video's like this will hopefully help people on the fence for whatever reason to make the choice to get vaccinated. I do really wonder how any team or for that matter any company will deal with an anti vaxer among their group? Then we will have the issues of passports and access in this province and country.

This was discussed yesterday as one reason why a planned Sunday friendly with Inter Miami didn't happen.

Bunch of the team got vaccinated this weekend. (No, there was no sign of DeLeon)

https://twitter.com/TorontoFC/status...69847030345732

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Being in Nova Scotia I am not as worried about when BMO will be back to full capacity as much as I am just getting the guys back and playing in Canada. Getting everyone vaccinated will definitely help that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Being in Nova Scotia...
    Make us all super jealous why don’t you...

Seriously congrats to you guys!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what a 5 days its been since this thread was last touched.

Current thoughts? (Avoiding the politics of this last week)

Some vaccine hesitancy among the 55-70 crowd & the dumpster fire that is our current medical situation in Ontario makes any thought of home games without fans prior to June now impossible. Gen X being given the go ahead tonight to avail themselves of any AZ out there is going to be a quick boost but I honestly don't think those 500K of AZ are going to last very long.

(If you are reading this and 40-55, find a local pharmacy & phone them ASAP to get a jab - don't trust their online booking systems)

The good news was the Pfizer #'s being significantly boosted - Moderna is a mess but if the #'s hold, we should have a potential 1st jab available for anyone by early June.

I'm still saying August.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got my appointment this evening for the AZ on Wednesday at Sobeys Pharmacy. Had to put in 1956 birth year instead of 1976 as the booking system had to be changed. Figure that will be fixed by Tuesday. Also spoke to the pharmacist at the Yonge Eg. Shoppers and because the book system has not worked, they have been taking walk ins. Have doses on hand and have done very few jabs over the last few day, said if I was 55 they could given me the shot on the spot. I think you are right on August, will be interested to see what the capacity is? 25% would be about 7,500 but could see health officials authorizing even less to begin with.

Anyone see the supporters section at the Miami game today? Now that was scary.

Some vaccine hesitancy among the 55-70 crowd & the dumpster fire that is our current medical situation in Ontario makes any thought of home games without fans prior to June now impossible. Gen X being given the go ahead tonight to avail themselves of any AZ out there is going to be a quick boost but I honestly don't think those 500K of AZ are going to last very long.

(If you are reading this and 40-55, find a local pharmacy & phone them ASAP to get a jab - don't trust their online booking systems)

The good news was the Pfizer #'s being significantly boosted - Moderna is a mess but if the #'s hold, we should have a potential 1st jab available for anyone by early June.

I'm still saying August.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was able to book AZ at Sobeys/FreshCo for Wednesday, WOOHOO!!! At 10:40pm they actually accepted my 1967 birth year online. But I'll have to travel a bit to get that, as all the closer appointments were gone online.

Yeah those 700k AZ doses in Ontario will be gone in a flash. Too bad they didn't prioritize the factory & distribution workers & similar hotspots with AZ now. I would have been OK with waiting my turn behind those folks, but that's life in the COVID jungle. Hopefully the US will loan us some more AZ doses, as they still aren't using it, and those things are just going to expire eventually.

Lots of good and bad in the US these days. Numbers look good and vaccines helping in many spots; other states seem to be working on their 4th wave; and some states have mostly stopped testing so we really have no idea what is going on there. Overall the US still had double the COVID death rate per 100k compared with Canada over the past 7 days. Canada COVID death rate increasing gradually; but US death rate not dropping any further despite all those vaccines. Ontario is a dumpster fire now, but I still think late August is doable for limited in-stadium attendance at BMO.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 04-18-2021 at 11:24 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I was able to book AZ at Sobeys/FreshCo for Wednesday, WOOHOO!!! At 10:40pm they actually accepted my 1967 birth year online. But I'll have to travel a bit to get that, as all the closer appointments were gone online.

Yeah those 700k AZ doses in Ontario will be gone in a flash. Too bad they didn't prioritize the factory & distribution workers & similar hotspots with AZ now. I would have been OK with waiting my turn behind those folks, but that's life in the COVID jungle. Hopefully the US will loan us some more AZ doses, as they still aren't using it, and those things are just going to expire eventually.

Lots of good and bad in the US these days. Numbers look good and vaccines helping in many spots; other states seem to be working on their 4th wave. Ontario is a dumpster fire now, but I still think late August is doable for limited in-stadium attendance at BMO.
    That is great you got an appointment, openings at Sobey's have dried up since the announcement. I will be very interested to see how access to BMO Field will be handled once it does open to limited fans, will vaccination be a requirement. Erie County in New York has announced that those attending Buffalo Bills and Sabres games will have to have been vaccinated. They are able to do this since both facilities are county owned. I am wondering if the city of Toronto will have the same powers with BMO Field since they own it? How will any form of voluntary passport be rolled out and how far will it reach, that will be the big question?
    Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 04-18-2021 at 11:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still saying August.
    June/July is out at this point. The CDC will have to reverse its travel advisory to Canada before the US opens the border, which won't happen until our cases are way down, and unfortunately we're at the peak at the moment. Michigan is a big worry with about double the vaccination we have and they're on fire.

My daughter's school has had an outbreak. 7 cases before TDSB closed the schools. Since then the daycare which was still open has had 7 out of 10 kids get it, and it's now running through all their families. We had one or two cases three or four times in the school before Christmas, but they never spread. The variants are scary stuff. If Michigan is any indication, I don't think we'll vaccinate out of this in the short term, although we need to vaccinate as fast as possible obviously. I hope the lockdown starts to push the numbers down in the next few weeks.

On the good news front, I got a vaccination appointment already at a Costco with the 40+ AZ change. Hopefully that change unlocks some pent up demand and we have a big surge in vaccinations in the next 1-2 weeks.

I still think we're doing well if TFC is playing at BMO by end of summer and small crowds by October. I still don't think we'll have a full stadium until next year.

One think I'll be watching closely is what happens with fall marathons, like Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I understand they're on the bubble now for whether they go ahead due to the planning needed in advance. They have 10-20,000 person races, so that should give us an early indication of how big events will be handled going forward.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone over 40 and looking for a shot, there are 20 Shoppers Drug Marts that are open 24/7 in the GTA that are giving vaccines. Some of them are allowing walk ins including the one at Yonge and Eglinton. Hopefully as more and more people get their shots we will get closer to returning to BMO. I got my first dose today.

https://news.ontario.ca/en/backgroun...19-vaccine-247

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL targetting an August return.

Here's what the CFL is saying about fans in the stand

“So, what must be in place for us to kick off on August 5? Two things. 1. The approval of public health officials across the country of our plans for protecting the health of our players, coaches, and ultimately our fans, so a 2021 season is safe. 2.Permission from governments to host a significant number of fans in the stands, in a significant number of venues at the start of the season, and in the rest of our venues soon after that, so a 2021 season is financially tenable for our clubs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CFL targetting an August return.

Here's what the CFL is saying about fans in the stand
    So in other words, they can just leave BMO Field fully open for the Argos games?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I strongly doubt we will be back this year. But..... I think the tipping point wont be the Argos, but the Leafs.
    If they make a cup run there will be immense pressure to both open the border for home games vs us teams and allow fans.
    The next issue will be the vax pass, making it mandatory for attendance (the nfl bills have hinted at this, and it is a requirement for Browns fans going to the draft next week).
    We dont seem to act as quickly or decisively here, so it will be interesting how this plays out.