View Poll Results: When BMO opens up for TFC games?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 1-30

0 0%
  • July 1-31

6 12.24%
  • August 1-31

11 22.45%
  • September 1-30

16 32.65%
  • October 1-31

7 14.29%
  • November 1-30

9 18.37%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Might try for something in late September. I wanna be able to do a TFC game and a Blue Jays game on the same weekend. That Cinci game on the 29th and the Jays/Yankees series on the same weekend looks appealing.
    Serisouly thinking of doing that weekend. The Blue Jays are at Yankees on the Thursday night, Baltimore on the weekend. Thinking of the Jays at Yankees, Jays at O's, flying to Ciinci Saturday morning, there are cheap flights. The Reds that night and then its also NFL opening weekend, so Vikings at Bengals Sunday before flying home.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    I haven't seen the official announcement, but the bolded appears to be the case looking at the CBC article:

The easing also does not apply to foreign nationals who are not already exempt from the border restrictions. Ottawa announced Friday it would be continuing existing restrictions at the Canada-U.S. border for at least another month, until July 21.
    "At this time, the Government of Canada continues to strongly advise Canadians to avoid non-essential travel," said Public Safety Minister Bill Blair.

Here's the link: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ful...july-1.6073480
    If you go through the travel questionnaire and select that you are a foreign national entering Canada from the US for work/employment purposes it says you are eligible to enter Canada. https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start

However not sure if an MLS game would be classified as work/employment purposes by Canada. All the frameworks are confusing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario moving to Step 2 of re-opening next Wed. June 30th.

RE TFC and other teams, there are details included in today's news release that were not included in the original re-opening plan for Step 2, or at least were unclear:

"Outdoor sport facilities with spectators permitted at 25 per cent capacity."

So that's valid as of next Wednesday. No mention (yet) of testing, masking, or vaccination requirements. We shall see.

So it seems the bigger issue for TFC will be playing in Toronto and crossing the border repeatedly (incl. US teams). Apparently Ontario was one of the provinces pushing against opening the border recently. I guess we'll see after July 16th? Of course special arrangements can always be made for sports leagues.

Not really what most of us were expecting previously: that fans would be allowed at BMO before TFC can even play there. Maybe they want to invite 25% to BMO for the next games, to watch TFC on the big screen as they play in the US.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 06-24-2021 at 09:58 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is very interesting, the border at this moment is the big thing and as such once it's sorted out in my eyes everything else will fall into place from both a provincial and municipal heath and safety standpoint as a result. Something to look out for is will CFL training camps open as planned on July 10th. With many American players that need to cross the border, will an exemption/consideration be in place to do this ahead of the season kicking off in August. Also two all Canadian based leagues, the CPL and CEBL are kicking off over the next week. Assume they could play with all Canadian players but we shall see if they have something in place, have not read or heard anything regarding that?

BMO at 25% capacity would be 7,500, wonder how many of the season seat holders would opt in at this point for the 2021 season with all that's going all and that it is now summer in general. I honestly believe at that capacity anyone that wants to go will be able to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Ontario moving to Step 2 of re-opening next Wed. June 30th.

RE TFC and other teams, there are details included in today's news release that were not included in the original re-opening plan for Step 2, or at least were unclear:

"Outdoor sport facilities with spectators permitted at 25 per cent capacity."

So that's valid as of next Wednesday. No mention (yet) of testing, masking, or vaccination requirements. We shall see.

So it seems the bigger issue for TFC will be playing in Toronto and crossing the border repeatedly (incl. US teams). Apparently Ontario was one of the provinces pushing against opening the border recently. I guess we'll see after July 16th? Of course special arrangements can always be made for sports leagues.

Not really what most of us were expecting previously: that fans would be allowed at BMO before TFC can even play there. Maybe they want to invite 25% to BMO for the next games, to watch TFC on the big screen as they play in the US.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As far as I can tell the Intercounty Baseball League is the first sporting event in this province to have spectators back for games. Welland for instance will have 710 spectators in the stands, 25 % capacity. This is a good sign, as I said the border is really the only hurdle as this point, everything else will call into place.

Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 06-24-2021 at 01:09 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like the CPL is ready.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Intercounty Baseball League

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we're basically a quarantine exemption away from hosting games at BMO?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    So we're basically a quarantine exemption away from hosting games at BMO?
    Yep or the border easing up, we will find that out in the days leading up to July 21, when as of now it closed until.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Intercounty Baseball League

Lol. My cousin plays in that league. His son is one of the top ranked Canadians at the NCAA level (if not the top). Gave his kid a place to play in the summers. It's still a pretty useful league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Yep or the border easing up, we will find that out in the days leading up to July 21, when as of now it closed until.
    Yup, the days leading up the 21 will be interesting. Really need the border opened up. Lots of pressure to do that, and the recent changes are a step in the right direction, so I'm pretty optimistic.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol. My cousin plays in that league. His son is one of the top ranked Canadians at the NCAA level (if not the top). Gave his kid a place to play in the summers. It's still a pretty useful league.
    Hey, good on them. Lot of respect for that league.

I grew up near the Kitchener Panthers stadium - happy memories of getting in free after 4 innings. Things have changed but it was a part of my childhood those orange & black uniforms (also changed I see).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, good on them. Lot of respect for that league.

I grew up near the Kitchener Panthers stadium - happy memories of getting in free after 4 innings. Things have changed but it was a part of my childhood those orange & black uniforms (also changed I see).
    Ha no way. For me it was Labatt Park and the London Majors.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Concerning international players on CFL and CPL teams, generally people are allowed into Canada to get to their jobs, so there shouldn’t be a problem for those leagues.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 days since this thread got touched - something happened?

Anyways, more tea leaves indicating August - TFC II trading home game slots with NER

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...and more things are happening. BC is opening up sooner. Now depends on the border.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kayaker View Post
    ...and more things are happening. BC is opening up sooner. Now depends on the border.

Adding up all the health units in Ontario , they are 155 new cases including 37 in Toronto. That includes presumed cases so it could be lower. More and more of Canada will be fully open by the end of July. So at this point pro sports in this country with teams in the US is just waiting on the border. I fully expect something things to happen by July 21 when the closure would have be renewed for another month.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing MLSE should do

Have vaccinations available at the stadium on game days.

Get a vaccine, get a pop & food (free beer might not be legal) or merch.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing MLSE should do

Have vaccinations available at the stadium on game days.

Get a vaccine, get a pop & food (free beer might not be legal) or merch.
    I am of the thinking that you will have to be fully vaccinated to attend matches this year so I wonder if people would come down to get it only to have to use the voucher etc at a later date?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more movement on these topics: the Canadian government has approved a modified quarantine plan for CFL players coming to Canada.

Instead of the standard 14-day quarantine: "Players and staff must spend seven days in isolation before coming to Canada, then isolate for another seven days at a designated hotel once they arrive."
    Plus testing.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/footb...l-players.html

Of course that's still a far cry from Cdn and US teams crossing the border on a weekly basis for regular-season games (MLS, for example). But it's a start.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume the CPL had something similar in place to kick off their season as they have, or were most or all players already in the country for a while? The CPL games in Winnipeg have been approved for having 2,000 fans in the stands, about 6% capacity as of july 7th. Anyone attending will have to be fully vaccinated. All these modified plans etc are really only a thing until the border is open, because once it is I can not see quarantine being part of it, especially for the fully vaccinated. It will be interesting to see what is being discussed in the days leading up to July 21st when the border closure would have to be renewed for another month.

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Some more movement on these topics: the Canadian government has approved a modified quarantine plan for CFL players coming to Canada.

Instead of the standard 14-day quarantine: "Players and staff must spend seven days in isolation before coming to Canada, then isolate for another seven days at a designated hotel once they arrive."
    Plus testing.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/footb...l-players.html

Of course that's still a far cry from Cdn and US teams crossing the border on a weekly basis for regular-season games (MLS, for example). But it's a start.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are coming home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning: TFC returning to Toronto on Thursday
    https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-fc-coming...ning-1.1663772

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Jays were quite interested in Manning’s comments yesterday. So it seems based on this article any hope of a 17th home game is based on the travel easing coming into effect today. But my understanding is it does not cover non-Canadians or people living outside Canada. So while TFC players should now be able to travel across the border starting today, other teams coming in would not. Does anyone have any other information?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...mpression=true

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Manning made a mistake there. Government officials may float something hypothetical about their thinking in private conversation, so that some quiet planning can be done, but I am sure they don't expect to see it blasted out there like that.

If there is an announcement about this, it is not for MLSE to make. I am aware of other elements of pandemic planning where the government are extremely sensitive about this (authorities don’t want to talk about anything until they are ready, and don’t want premature expectations created that can cause further problems)

Methinks Bogers government relations people could be getting a call from very senior government people about what Manning said.
    Last edited by ensco; 07-05-2021 at 07:50 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Jays were quite interested in Manning’s comments yesterday. So it seems based on this article any hope of a 17th home game is based on the travel easing coming into effect today. But my understanding is it does not cover non-Canadians or people living outside Canada. So while TFC players should now be able to travel across the border starting today, other teams coming in would not. Does anyone have any other information?

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...mpression=true
    An exemption with the federal government would have to be worked out. In MLS teams are flying charter and also flying in and out on game days for the most part. The latter fact should be helpful as they would be In and out thus have very little exposure to the city. Heck if really needed to stay the the night before or after the game landing in Buffalo would be an option and busing in and out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    An exemption with the federal government would have to be worked out. In MLS teams are flying charter and also flying in and out on game days for the most part. The latter fact should be helpful as they would be In and out thus have very little exposure to the city. Heck if really needed to stay the the night before or after the game landing in Buffalo would be an option and busing in and out.
    Yeah, this is my understanding too. I can't see them granting an exemption when there is likely a change coming on the 21st anyway.

The easing coming into effect today, if I'm reading it right, won't cover any team coming into Canada from the US. So I don't see how a home game against Orlando on the 17th can happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Especially as I sure Rogers is focused on getting the Blue Jays home. It's not like Mark Shapiro rushed out with his own comments after Manning made his. The Jays apparently have a proposal in the governments hands that would see the Jays at home on July 30th. You can even tell from the headline on Sportsnet.ca the narrative they are pushing.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article...s-return-home/
    Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I think Manning made a mistake there. Government officials may float something hypothetical about their thinking in private conversation, so that some quiet planning can be done, but I am sure they don't expect to see it blasted out there like that.

If there is an announcement about this, it is not for MLSE to make. I am aware of other elements of pandemic planning where the government are extremely sensitive about this (authorities don’t want to talk about anything until they are ready, and don’t want premature expectations created that can cause further problems)

Methinks Bogers government relations people could be getting a call from very senior government people about what Manning said.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manning mentioned that everyone who is vaccinated will be coming home to train. I wonder what that means for DeLeon? I know he’s injured at the moment, but what about when he’s not? Does he stay in the US and train alone? It seems to me that trading him is about all that can be done, not that he’d yield much in return at this point.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't think Manning did say anything not known already. Basicaly it was

"We have a proposal to be playing a game on July 17th. We hope to be there>"

"We are confident in our plan."

"Its up to government approval" (which he repeated a number of times)