View Poll Results: When BMO opens up for TFC games?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 1-30

0 0%
  • July 1-31

6 12.24%
  • August 1-31

11 22.45%
  • September 1-30

16 32.65%
  • October 1-31

7 14.29%
  • November 1-30

9 18.37%
Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default When BMO opens up for TFC games?

When BMO opens up for TFC games?
    (in the 2021 season)

Vote in the poll!

This poll will be closing automatically in 21 days (after the date of this post).

Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 03-21-2021 at 03:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted August, with BMO being open to max 10% of capacity maybe...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could see it being at the 15-20% capacity to begin with. That would let in 5-6K. BMO Field with its layout could certainly spread people around in a very safe way with 5-6K in the stands. The lower bowl at BMO is about 15,500 seats.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I could see it being at the 15-20% capacity to begin with. That would let in 5-6K. BMO Field with its layout could certainly spread people around in a very safe way with 5-6K in the stands. The lower bowl at BMO is about 15,500 seats.
    With the loyalty they are showing SSH, that’s how they ding you for tickets. Even if you can’t use them. To be honest, i have no idea why i let them hold my money. What loyalty has MLSE shown us, 10% seat value credit on food and drinks assuming you can use it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    With the loyalty they are showing SSH, that’s how they ding you for tickets. Even if you can’t use them. To be honest, i have no idea why i let them hold my money. What loyalty has MLSE shown us, 10% seat value credit on food and drinks assuming you can use it.
    I think at that capacity they would offer it up as a normal season ticket through normal ticketing channels. I think trying to ding people during the times were are living in would not be the best of looks for MLSE right now. Now its its 250-500 fans at first, thats a different system, could they use an auction system like Montreal did last year, where the average price paid was $75 to attend one of the three games vs Canadian teams during the summer. Also I will point out when Orlando City was allowed to have 3,000 in the stands, there were normal priced tickets for general sale on Ticketmaster available, so there was not a run on tickets. FC Dallas was the same.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted October, because I don't think governments will be too concerned about summer sporting events and more cautious about public safety, but Hockey teams and the Raptors will want their arenas filled for the 2021-2022 season, which starts in October. I figure that rather than make exceptions, the government sill simply open up all arenas to full capacity once 80% of the population has been vaccinated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'll probably help us a great deal that the US is opening up so hard and fast now. I read that the Texas Rangers home opener against the Jays on April 3rd is sold out with 40k in attendance. We need to be watching the outcome of this, and then base our decisions on the data.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    It'll probably help us a great deal that the US is opening up so hard and fast now. I read that the Texas Rangers home opener against the Jays on April 3rd is sold out with 40k in attendance. We need to be watching the outcome of this, and then base our decisions on the data.
    We can’t base anything off anything there. It couldn’t be more different.

Texas is one of the worst performing states in the USA in terms of vaccination.

6M people in the state of Texas have had at least one shot. They are doing 300K shots a day. Total population 29M.

1.2M people in the province of Ontario have had at least one shot. We are doing 40K shots a day. Total population 14.5M
    Last edited by ensco; 03-22-2021 at 07:12 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    We can’t base anything off anything there. It couldn’t be more different.

Texas is one of the worst performing states in the USA in terms of vaccination.

6M people in the state of Texas have had at least one shot. They are doing 300K shots a day. Total population 29M.

1.2M people in the province of Ontario have had at least one shot. We are doing 40K shots a day. Total population 14.5M
    I agree. Take Florida as another example. They have a population of 21.5M roughly and a total vaccinated of 4.9M and they decided to open everything up. They are now putting curfews back in place. Combine that with the fact that the WHO has come out and said there is a serious concern regarding the variants. Across the globe numbers are up 8%. More specifically 49% in southeast Asia and 29% in the Western Pacific. Granted the Americas and Africa are down but the question remains for how long. To accurately state that BMO will open up at such and such time is to difficult to call right now.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alabama is now vaccinating everyone 16 and older.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The slightly worrying stat people are just starting to notice in various jurisdictions

% of age groups that have not gotten the vaccine

As more then one person has indicated, you want to see sports in full stadiums come back, you want to see restaurants full, you want to not have to wear a mask everywhere? Get your friends & relatives & anybody they know to get the jab.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    I think at that capacity they would offer it up as a normal season ticket through normal ticketing channels. I think trying to ding people during the times were are living in would not be the best of looks for MLSE right now. Now its its 250-500 fans at first, thats a different system, could they use an auction system like Montreal did last year, where the average price paid was $75 to attend one of the three games vs Canadian teams during the summer. Also I will point out when Orlando City was allowed to have 3,000 in the stands, there were normal priced tickets for general sale on Ticketmaster available, so there was not a run on tickets. FC Dallas was the same.
    Fuck the auction system, I left my money in, I should get first crack at being able to attend home games. My opinion, but in my mind the fairest, people asked for a refund for given reasons and I respect that, but i like many others opted to keep the money in the coffers, so we should get first refusal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derko View Post
    Fuck the auction system, I left my money in, I should get first crack at being able to attend home games. My opinion, but in my mind the fairest, people asked for a refund for given reasons and I respect that, but i like many others opted to keep the money in the coffers, so we should get first refusal.

This!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted for August. I think they'll allow limited attendance by then.

I hope we can all hang in there a bit longer, and be thankful for science. A year ago hardly anybody thought we could have a single vaccine in use by now, and many pundits said: because it's a coronavirus there's no way it could ever be as effective as the flu vaccine. Even in the summer, a doctor friend in the US (who treats COVID patients herself) was trying to convince us that a good vaccine against a coronavirus is unlikely. Instead we now have multiple very effective vaccines around the world.

Seriously guys, there won't be much use getting upset comparing ourselves to the US on vaccines for the next few weeks and months. Their COVID response was disastrous, everything was horribly politicized, and large parts of the nation are traumatized after the last 4 years and especially the last year. But they have the most powerful medical research and pharma industry in the world. About the only thing a large part of the country could agree upon was vaccines, so they got that done. On the flip side, they're the only major vaccine-producing country in the world who are not exporting any yet (aside from the 4 million doses of AZ being sent to Canada and Mexico this week). (I'm not sure about the UK either.)

We were all sold the story that free trade would take care of us; that selling off the Connaught Labs and them getting mostly shut down was no problem. Fun facts: at the time of their sale, the Connaught Labs were the largest manufacturer of flu vaccines in the world, and surely would have been at the forefront of the battle against COVID-19. And Connaught Labs ended up being owned by Sanofi Pasteur, who don't even have a functioning COVID vaccine released yet; they're still in stage 2 trials. Instead of free trade taking care of us, the largest Pfizer plant in the world for their Covid vaccine is 200km from the Cdn border, and they haven't sent us a single dose yet. I can understand why, the US was a raging dumpster fire up until now, but them's the breaks for Canada.

Canada is just going to have to live with not feeling superior to the US for a couple of months. I know that's hard. BTW the US states that are opening vaccinations to everyone the earliest, won't necessarily do the best. It's basically a populist decision and not science-based in some cases. Some areas have not done well enough in getting a high proportion of the vulnerable population vaccinated before opening it up to everyone.

Let's face it, I don't think it's even been mentioned on this forum: everyone from Toronto FC that is heading down to Florida, will be getting vaccinated there within a month or two. The league or teams may soon mandate it, to reduce the risk of transmission or games being cancelled. That will also affect TFC's return to Canada: once everyone on the team and on the opponent teams are fully vaccinated, the Cdn governments will have little trouble with them all travelling back and forth for games (initially w/o fans in the stands in Canada).

For some good news: Canada is now vaccinating at the 3rd-highest rate (adjusted for population) of all major economies; see the tweet below. Already a few days ago there was another stat, that averaged over 7 days, Canada was vaccinating at the 5th-highest rate of all G20 countries. And all that's before the vaccine floods arriving in Canada in the next few weeks. If the AZ vaccine starts getting used more heavily in the EU once more, they'll pick up again, but at most Canada will be a few days behind. (And we better all start getting third-world nations vaccinated, or the virus variants that evolve there will kill many more of us before the vaccines catch up again.)

Last edited by Auzzy; 03-24-2021 at 01:55 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

“Toronto sports fans will return to their favourite stadium or arena to once again cheer on their sporting heroes. But when? And how will it look?”

https://www.thestar.com/sports/2021/...l-it-look.html

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first TBD for a home venue in the schedule is June 19th.

That's the target date for a home game, it seems. Fans by then? Doubtful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    The first TBD for a home venue in the schedule is June 19th.

That's the target date for a home game, it seems. Fans by then? Doubtful.

I doubt that as well. I had voted November mainly because I have zero confidence in both levels of government at the moment, but after reading Laura Armstrongs article I am much more confident we will see limited capacity late summer early fall. How they will determine who will be in the stands is another matter all on it's own

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I said October - but September is also viable

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sticking to my original prediction in another Thread:

TFC back to play in BMO: July
    Fans back in (limited capacity to start): September (growing as the season and playoffs go)
    Toronto FC,#CMNT & #CWNT, Scotland, Heart of Midlothian FC, Tottenham Hotspur FC
    "The Harder the Struggle, The Greater the Reward" - @OsoJ92

AWAY DAYS - CHICAGO August 2017, MONTREAL March 2018

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Local pubs will all be packed too watching TFC games... Can't wait

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm I think I might want to push my answer of September back a bit further. With the halt of AZ in people under the age of 55 now, this may delay things a little bit

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counterpoint - Pfizer moving up Q3 deliveries to Q2 - 30 million between them & Moderna by the end of June. Also, today Feds announced J&J starting end of April - 10 million original purchase but no schedule for delivery yet.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Counterpoint - Pfizer moving up Q3 deliveries to Q2 - 30 million between them & Moderna by the end of June. Also, today Feds announced J&J starting end of April - 10 million original purchase but no schedule for delivery yet.
    J&J will probably come after the US is finished with the bulk of vaccinations. It's coming from the US.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    Woohoo that’s great news!

Also J&J confirmed to start arriving in Canada in April.

I just wish I was 1 1/2 years older (55), there’s gonna be lots of AZ vaccine available for that age group immediately...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Woohoo that’s great news!

Also J&J confirmed to start arriving in Canada in April.

I just wish I was 1 1/2 years older (55), there’s gonna be lots of AZ vaccine available for that age group immediately...
    Funny, as a person 1 1/2 years older then that (57 this year) I feel the exact same way about the 60 year olds.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny, as a person 1 1/2 years older then that (57 this year) I feel the exact same way about the 60 year olds.
    So you're the exact same age as my wife. I guess you guys will probably get access to AZ soon, as they just got a big whack of doses from the US, they won't use it for under 55s for now, and most of the over 70s or over 65s will have access to Pfizer or Moderna soon?

In terms of getting life including BMO Field restarted: so far the under 18 crowd is hardly covered. Only Pfizer is approved, only for 16+. But first Pfizer results from a study of 12-15 year olds in the US looks good, and Moderna will probably soon be presenting results for 12-17 year olds.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-31-2021 at 07:41 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents who are 72 and 71 got their vaccination appointments for this Friday at Sunnybrook. They only made their appointments last Friday, the first day Sunnybrook started accepting 70+. Now I see some GTA regions have already moved to 65+. So we are not far off where the provincial path for Moderna and Pfizer and the Pharmacies offering AZ being available to the same people. It will be interesting to see how much doubt people have about AZ thus wait for the age group to get one of their offer two or JJ when it becomes available. Now here is a question , could we see an origination MLSE for instance make an event 18+ until we know more about kids being vaccinated or not, or is that opening up a can of worms that’s not worth it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My kid's school is preparing for lock-down next week (after the Easter weekend), and for schools to be back to virtual. Seems like they've been told already (Ford is announcing something tomorrow), as we've been asked by our teacher and principal to do our prep urgently before the kids go for the long weekend. We're obviously in a third wave. I think if we're back to a full lock-down, or even a regional one in Toronto, that's the end of any chance of BMO opening this year. By the time we get to the third wave peak and back down, we're already into late summer and I can't see any chance of large-scale events this year, even with vaccinations picking up steam. Hopefully this is the last push. I think we'll know in the next 3 weeks if there is a chance.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    My kid's school is preparing for lock-down next week (after the Easter weekend), and for schools to be back to virtual. Seems like they've been told already (Ford is announcing something tomorrow), as we've been asked by our teacher and principal to do our prep urgently before the kids go for the long weekend. We're obviously in a third wave. I think if we're back to a full lock-down, or even a regional one in Toronto, that's the end of any chance of BMO opening this year. By the time we get to the third wave peak and back down, we're already into late summer and I can't see any chance of large-scale events this year, even with vaccinations picking up steam. Hopefully this is the last push. I think we'll know in the next 3 weeks if there is a chance.
    assuming the vaccines can get into arms, the third wave wont have the same span as the former two, especially with the news that vaccinated people dont carry the virus.

a 6-8 week lockdown with consistently increasing vaccination numbers will go most of the way to crush the 3rd wave.