View Poll Results: When BMO opens up for TFC games?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • June 1-30

0 0%
  • July 1-31

6 12.24%
  • August 1-31

11 22.45%
  • September 1-30

16 32.65%
  • October 1-31

7 14.29%
  • November 1-30

9 18.37%
Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Wow I hope they don’t base their decisions on the numbers in the Bloomberg article. Their vaccination stats are way off. 45.8% of the Cdn population has had at least one shot (the article say 34%), and we’ll pass the US on that stat in 3 days and keep going higher. Some other info in the article is also wrong, as well as in the Bloomberg data tracker that they link to.

I know that fully vaccinated may be the more important stat for border reopening & vaccine passports, but Canada will likely pass the US on that in July.

Pro sports teams (tested & mostly vaxed) can be allowed to travel when case & hospital numbers are lower and vaccination numbers are higher, not necessarily tied to a general border reopening. They may ease things gradually before a general opening for all tourism for example. Plus things will get much more muddy as some regions in the US will continue to have very low vaccination numbers, high cases (if they bother testing) and high deaths. It won’t be an easy black & white decision.
    I doubt they'd make a decision based on those numbers, lol! Actually, I saw the same article in the National Post (not sure who was the originating author of the story), which has had an agenda of downplaying any vaccine success in Canada, so I wouldn't be surprised if the numbers they cite are intentional BS.

I think the thing is border opening will be a process. Everything I've read suggests we've still at the beginning stages, and the decision coming this week likely will be to renew what we currently have. Sure sports teams could be exempt, but that would still require an exemption to the current border regime which sounds a ways off still, or at least hasn't been telegraphed in any way. Anyway, we should know more by Friday.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To open the border , making it only for fully vaccinated people, you will avoid a lot of the issues. Heck the US would even help by getting those those that travel into the US by getting them their second doses upon arrival, it's even happening now in places like Florida or anywhere with doses that are collecting dust. Pharmacies are getting to the point where they have more does than they know what to do with, epically in some parts of the country.

Also you do have to remember in even in the best of times , not a lot of Americans even travel to Canada over a single year. The number of United States citizens traveling to Canada increased steadily from 2014 to 2019, rising from 11.5 million to almost 15 million. Overall, the number of U.S. travelers to Canada peaked at approximately 16 million in 2002.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/214778/number-of-us-tourists-visting-canada/

The biggest thing to me will be the passport and how you prove that you have been fully vaccinated at least for the US, because those CDC cards that everyone has will not hold up as my eyes as an official document to other countries. New York already has a voluntary app in place. Most records of vaccinations are being held at the country level in the US where Ontario for the most part would know who has their shots through the ministry of health. Just not sure how its kept if an OHIP card was not shown.

Wow I hope they don’t base their decisions on the numbers in the Bloomberg article. Their vaccination stats are way off. 45.8% of the Cdn population has had at least one shot (the article say 34%), and we’ll pass the US on that stat in 3 days and keep going higher. Some other info in the article is also wrong, as well as in the Bloomberg data tracker that they link to.

I know that fully vaccinated may be the more important stat for border reopening & vaccine passports, but Canada will likely pass the US on that in July.

Pro sports teams (tested & mostly vaxed) can be allowed to travel when case & hospital numbers are lower and vaccination numbers are higher, not necessarily tied to a general border reopening. They may ease things gradually before a general opening for all tourism for example. Plus things will get much more muddy as some regions in the US will continue to have very low vaccination numbers, high cases (if they bother testing) and high deaths. It won’t be an easy black & white decision.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An interesting read from the Angus Reid Institute.

https://angusreid.org/canada-astrazeneca-herd-immunity/

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    An interesting read from the Angus Reid Institute.

https://angusreid.org/canada-astrazeneca-herd-immunity/

"Daddy?"

"Yes, son?"

"What does regret mean?"

But seriously, I'm curious how many levels of regret there were ("A mere two per cent of this group expresses total regret"). Maybe it says so in there, and I just didn't see it.
    Toronto 'til I die - but I think they're trying to kill me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever day it ends up being, I am dreaming of it.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't wait to get my second shot. Unfortunately, it won't be until August when I can get it. If there's a way to get it sooner, I'll take it. And once the worst is over, I plan on going on a nice vacation somewheres. I'm thinking New Orleans!

BTW, my brother, who was having difficulties getting an appointment, got his first shot last Wednesday!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mother-in-law just got called to get her second shot booked, in early June! I have to check how long it will be, but less than 16 weeks since the first shot. Granted that’s in Guelph and they’ve been well-organized since the start. But it’s happening!

Also a colleague at work managed to get early second shots booked for his whole family, I have to find it more about that.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-17-2021 at 10:04 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My mother-in-law just got called to get her second shot booked, in early June! I have to check how long it will be, but less than 16 weeks since the first shot. Granted that’s in Guelph and they’ve been well-organized since the start. But it’s happening!
    Thats interesting, in what environment did she get her first shot and was a second shot initially scheduled for a later date and then pushed up? For the AZ crowd there are about 50,000 doses in the province that will be expiring at the end of the month so the braintrust or whatever you want to call them will have to decide shortly if they are going to give people a a decision to make for themselves, depending on wha their are comfortable with. I just do not think Ford and company want the optics of expired doses in this province. Kind of surprised David Williams even mentioned the province would not give people expired doses, thats a no brainer to me.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats interesting, in what environment did she get her first shot and was a second shot initially scheduled for a later date and then pushed up? For the AZ crowd there are about 50,000 doses in the province that will be expiring at the end of the month so the braintrust or whatever you want to call them will have to decide shortly if they are going to give people a a decision to make for themselves, depending on wha their are comfortable with. I just do not think Ford and company want the optics of expired doses in this province. Kind of surprised David Williams even mentioned the province would not give people expired doses, thats a no brainer to me.
    She received her first shot in a vaccine clinic run by Wellington/Guelph public health, and will receive the 2nd there. I'm not sure of exact dates, but I think it will be about 12 weeks since the first shot, which is good for someone who is over 80. (A major UK study has found a better immune response for Pfizer in the elderly when the two doses are 12 weeks apart.) Hopefully that will soon becomes the norm, starting with the oldest. I'm not sure if she initially had a later 2nd appointment which was changed, I will try to find out from my sister in law.

They should definitely start offering those 50k doses of AZ as second shots to the first people who received AZ, which started about 2 1/2 months / over 10 weeks ago. That's a good timespan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    The thing that could move things along is a Leaf playoff run. The Leafs playing Stanley Cup finals games in front of 20,000 on the road and zero fans at home? With the numbers better?

There is nobody on earth who could withstand that pressure.
    Good point. Governments regularly plan for all sorts of improbable but possible events.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She received her first shot in a vaccine clinic run by Wellington/Guelph public health, and will receive the 2nd there. I'm not sure of exact dates, but I think it will be about 12 weeks since the first shot, which is good for someone who is over 80. (A major UK study has found a better immune response for Pfizer in the elderly when the two doses are 12 weeks apart.) Hopefully that will soon becomes the norm, starting with the oldest. I'm not sure if she initially had a later 2nd appointment which was changed, I will try to find out from my sister in law.

They should definitely start offering those 50k doses of AZ as second shots to the first people who received AZ, which started about 2 1/2 months / over 10 weeks ago. That's a good timespan.
    Friday, March 12th was the first day AZ was given in Ontario when they started giving it at 325 pharmacies in Toronto, Peel and Kingston. My uncle who lives in Ottawa got his first shot in Kingston that weekend.

I would very interested to know if she did have a second appointment that was changed pushed up, it would indicate the province or at least the local health unit is pushing people up, thus they can push it through OHIP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friday, March 12th was the first day AZ was given in Ontario when they started giving it at 325 pharmacies in Toronto, Peel and Kingston. My uncle who lives in Ottawa got his first shot in Kingston that weekend.

I would very interested to know if she did have a second appointment that was changed pushed up, it would indicate the province or at least the local health unit is pushing people up, thus they can push it through OHIP.
    There has been nothing from the Province or he pharmacies to AZ dose 1 recipients to change the initial advice about the second shot, and the initial advice was July.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    There has been nothing from the Province or he pharmacies to AZ dose 1 recipients to change the initial advice about the second shot, and the initial advice was July.
    The only thing is Ontario have AZ doses that expire at the end of the month, about 50,000 of them. Those I believe are still in the possession of the pharmacies, have not seen anything saying they have been sent back to province. So the logistics will of where the doses are and where the people are who want them will have to be figured out, but do not see that as a major obstacle. People wo want them will seek them out.

I can not say enough Bonnie Henry out in BC is a rock star. Her ability to communicate with compassion and giving people ease is second to none. BC has 20,000 AZ doses that expire at the end of June and the report about mixing 1st and 2nd doses will be out in the first week of June, so they will have time to give people the information they need to make a decision on what route they want to take or not. As I have said I just do not think Ontario will want the optics of expired doses in any major numbers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing is Ontario have AZ doses that expire at the end of the month, about 50,000 of them. Those I believe are still in the possession of the pharmacies, have not seen anything saying they have been sent back to province. So the logistics will of where the doses are and where the people are who want them will have to be figured out, but do not see that as a major obstacle. People wo want them will seek them out.

I can not say enough Bonnie Henry out in BC is a rock star. Her ability to communicate with compassion and giving people ease is second to none. BC has 20,000 AZ doses that expire at the end of June and the report about mixing 1st and 2nd doses will be out in the first week of June, so they will have time to give people the information they need to make a decision on what route they want to take or not. As I have said I just do not think Ontario will want the optics of expired doses in any major numbers.
    Totally agree. It will be a rushed last minute thing here, chaotic just like the first AZ round in pharmacies- our local pharmacy, for example, was announced as a pilot pharmacy before they were even told there was a programme, let alone given a chance to apply. When we called they said "we heard rumours. i guess we better apply...."

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Person who I work with in Toronto got AZ in early March. Her second shot is this coming weekend. Weird stuff happens.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...d-at-bmo-field

TFC staying in Orlando until BMO Field can be opened again.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That makes me think they have had some words from the Feds & the Province saying summertime return to cross border playing might be possible. No use setting up another base if you are only going to be there for a couple of months at most.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Person who I work with in Toronto got AZ in early March. Her second shot is this coming weekend. Weird stuff happens.
    Interesting, guess I would not expect anything less than Dougie and companying making a last minute announcement that the pharmacies can start giving AZ second shots beginning with the 50,000 doses that are expiring at the end of the month.

Interesting study out of Spain on mixing AZ with Phizer as the second doses being good.

https://www.cp24.com/world/astrazene...VvkptdiLmE11HI

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know I'm not in the GTA, but just for reference what's happening outside the area.
    This morning 18+ can now register for their vaccine in Ontario which is great news. However in Kingston there are no appointments available in the surrounding areas and as far as an hour away in all directions. Website is just saying to check back in the next few days. Hopefully with the shipment we should be receiving next week it will open up for most people to book their appointment. (I managed to book for next week due to my job, but it was a two week wait). I'm curious how long it will take for everyone to get their second dose, therefore allowing us to get back to BMO...my guess would be late September before everyone gets their 2nd "jab". I have a feeling we wont be back at BMO this season, very limited numbers if so...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you who don’t think the Leafs are going to drive this open soon...

Fans will be in seats in Montreal during Leafs series.

You may think it's unsafe, and you might be right, but this is going to be very hard to withstand in Toronto

“What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...d-at-bmo-field

TFC staying in Orlando until BMO Field can be opened again.
    Well Orlando and Miami manage to play there in Florida all summer despite the heat so we can't really have that as too much of an excuse but at least they hopefully will scrap all those afternoon games now going forward while they are there. Need to figure out a way to work that out even if they have to play at Disney again to accommodate Orlando's schedule.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quebec will begin the process of opening up next week. Have to think Ontario will follow suite sooner than later. Wonder is MLSE will be able to convince Doug to do the same. The pressure will be on especially if the Habs get their 2-4K in the building.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montr...ures-1.6030812

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    For those of you who don’t think the Leafs are going to drive this open soon...

Fans will be in seats in Montreal during Leafs series.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ontario won't open indoor sports before schools - the uproar would be deafening.

That series will be over before schools open. If the Leafs make it to a second series, MIGHT happen.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure about the statusnof vaccines in Quebec, but very few in Ontario have had their second dose.
    In terms of optics that becomes a problem. While I agree the Leafs will likeky have fans by the second round, I don't see how anyone is fully vaccinated.

The question I guess becomes how comfortable are people in crowds with no vaccine enforcement. And will MLSE require proof of vaccination at any point?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by glaze View Post
    Not sure about the statusnof vaccines in Quebec, but very few in Ontario have had their second dose.
    In terms of optics that becomes a problem. While I agree the Leafs will likeky have fans by the second round, I don't see how anyone is fully vaccinated.

The question I guess becomes how comfortable are people in crowds with no vaccine enforcement. And will MLSE require proof of vaccination at any point?

Nope. We've were told today by the weekly Federal Health Update that there will be no fans allowed for indoor sports at this point in time. Things are waiting for 75% fully vaccinated. Not sure how that will relate to outdoor sports like soccer.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Nope. We've were told today by the weekly Federal Health Update that there will be no fans allowed for indoor sports at this point in time. Things are waiting for 75% fully vaccinated. Not sure how that will relate to outdoor sports like soccer.
    Things can change quickly on the fly as we have learned with this government. Health updates sometimes mean very little to Doug at times. I can not imagine the pressure cooker he will feel if Legault lets the Habs have their 2-4K in the stands, especially if the PM will be in attendance as he is huge MTL fan. Here he is a few years ago at a pub in Montreal that us TFC supporters know very well.

In all serious this Ontario government needs to get things going, after Quebec mapped everything out today starting with Schools back in session next week.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quebec has about 1/2 the cases per 100k as Ontario. ICUs and deaths are also much lower in QC during this wave. QC did much worse at the start of the pandemic, but finally got their act together compared to ON over the last few months.

The situations between QC & ON, Montréal & TO, and the Habs and the Leafs aren’t comparable at the moment. Lots of people are screaming for lots of things in Ontario, and a couple of people in the arena for the games in Montréal aren’t going to have a significant impact.

Ontario can “get things going” when ICUs are doing much better. They are barely off their peak, & MUCH worse than at the start of the third wave. The decisions that could let us act more like Quebec now, needed to be made in Ontario months ago, but they weren’t. People would absolutely FREAK if Ontario let any fans INSIDE an arena in the near future.

June 2nd or a bit before that, the province will allow golf and some other outdoor activities; perhaps also patios. They may also allow schools to open in areas with low case counts. (You only have to look at the Porcupine / Timmins health unit to see how quickly that can change.)

The last rushed reopening, third wave, and subsequent umpteenth mockdown / lockdown absolutely killed the Ontario government’s popularity, from both ends of the political spectrum. I believe they’ll be slightly more careful this time.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 05-18-2021 at 11:43 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They could consider letting fully-vaccinated health care workers into playoff games in Toronto, and I’ve seen some chatter about that online. However they stopped giving 2nd doses to health care workers many months ago, and only just restarted. Too few ON HCWs are fully vaccinated, and it would create a huge amount of anger & jealousy if only the few who got both doses at the beginning of the year would be allowed entry.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quebec has about 1/2 the cases per 100k as Ontario. ICUs and deaths are also much lower in QC during this wave. QC did much worse at the start of the pandemic, but finally got their act together compared to ON over the last few months.

The situations between QC & ON, Montréal & TO, and the Habs and the Leafs aren’t comparable at the moment. Lots of people are screaming for lots of things in Ontario, and a couple of people in the arena for the games in Montréal aren’t going to have a significant impact.

Ontario can “get things going” when ICUs are doing much better. They are barely off their peak, & MUCH worse than at the start of the third wave. The decisions that could let us act more like Quebec now, needed to be made in Ontario months ago, but they weren’t. People would absolutely FREAK if Ontario let any fans INSIDE an arena in the near future.

June 2nd or a bit before that, the province will allow golf and some other outdoor activities; perhaps also patios. They may also allow schools to open in areas with low case counts. (You only have to look at the Porcupine / Timmins health unit to see how quickly that can change.)

The last rushed reopening, third wave, and subsequent umpteenth mockdown / lockdown absolutely killed the Ontario government’s popularity, from both ends of the political spectrum. I believe they’ll be slightly more careful this time.
    Why would people freak, it would be their choice to go. Plus if they made it being fully vaccinated a condition to attend i would really see no issues as I said it would be a choice.

Plus getting second dose quick just became a whole bunch easier ie head to Buffalo. I would think we could end up seeing a whole bunch of this happening after the Canadian government confirmed you can do it if you choose.

Canadians can drive to U.S. for COVID-19 vax and avoid quarantine, Ottawa confirms

https://www.cp24.com/news/canadians-...irms-1.5432958

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why would people freak, it would be their choice to go. Plus if they made it being fully vaccinated a condition to attend i would really see no issues as I said it would be a choice.

Plus getting second dose quick just became a whole bunch easier ie head to Buffalo. I would think we could end up seeing a whole bunch of this happening after the Canadian government confirmed you can do it if you choose.

Canadians can drive to U.S. for COVID-19 vax and avoid quarantine, Ottawa confirms

https://www.cp24.com/news/canadians-...irms-1.5432958
    I realize these playoffs are making you very excited. But you’re not making any sense, after you made lots of sense for many months. People would freak because no other indoor entertainment is allowed for fans at the moment, and hardly anything outdoors either. Hardly anybody is fully vaccinated, and some Buffalo loophole that a few hundred people might use isn’t going to affect policy decisions about allowing fans inside. Plus you’re considered fully vaccinated minimum two weeks after your second dose, and the playoff series starts tomorrow. No Ontario institution will provide a full vaccination certificate to anyone right now.

After more than a year in a pandemic, most people realize that nothing in this is just one person’s choice. Unless they agree not to go to the hospital or doctor if they get sick, and also won’t let anyone they infect go to the hospital or doctor either. Hospitals have not been able to start rescheduling any of the thousands of cancer surgeries and other treatments yet that had to be delayed due to the third wave. 40% of Ontario nurses are planning to quit due to extreme overload and burnout. Playoff hockey isn’t a significant concern at the moment.

A month from now things will look very different, but allowing fans indoors won’t be first on the list.