0 Thread(s)
    Loyal - Win, lose or draw!

Weston, Ontario

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice story, hopefully he'll play some for TFC just like Phonzie played for the Whitecaps before moving on to Europe.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Nice story, hopefully he'll play some for TFC just like Phonzie played for the Whitecaps before moving on to Europe.
    I read somewhere that one of the purposes of the new u22 roster spots is to try to hang on to high-end academy products for a little longer to increase their value before selling.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    They've been scouting him for two years, so we might not see him again. We get him this year because he's 17 but that's old enough in the premiership for pre-contract, so maybe not even that. The headline is Man Utd but Bayern is in on this one, too. They see Canada as ripe for the signings, and they've had scouts in Canada for over a decade now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Per FIFA statues he can't move anywhere outside of NA till he's 18 so he's here till summer transfer window 2022 at least.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The talent pool is only just being tapped.

Bayern or Porto should be his top two options.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Porto sounds like a perfect place for JMR if he does indeed leave next summer. Might get more from an English team in a transfer fee though if he qualifies for a work permit.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The talent pool is only just being tapped.

Bayern or Porto should be his top two options.
    Agreed. Best for his development (although I'm sure that TFC will also look hard at what cash is being offered).
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Small initial fee, big percentage of cut for sell on fee.

Only real way for MLS teams to make it worthwhile to invest in a youth system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realize this is the Sun... but this hype is getting pushed to big levels. Shows you how in-depth scouting is these days where all these clubs are onto a player that’s we’ve barely had a view of.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14171...mpression=true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Per FIFA statues he can't move anywhere outside of NA till he's 18 so he's here till summer transfer window 2022 at least.
    The question is how much they risk him. If he signs a pre-contract and they know where he's going, ala Davies, do the protect him or play him? It's not like he's an essential piece, so I'd imagine spot duty at best.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The question is how much they risk him. If he signs a pre-contract and they know where he's going, ala Davies, do the protect him or play him? It's not like he's an essential piece, so I'd imagine spot duty at best.
    I'd guess that would all depend on how he does this season. I'm not sure a big bid would come until he logs significant first team mins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    I'd guess that would all depend on how he does this season. I'm not sure a big bid would come until he logs significant first team mins.
    Makes sense. Bayern watched Davies for nearly a year with Whitecaps before they agreed a fee, so if he's going to one of the big guys, it would make sense to make sure he's up to speed and not glass. From what some of the scout types say, he and Priso are indistinguishable other than size from the adult players, they fit in so easily on a technical basis.

We known Nelson doesn't though, and I heard the same about him. He still has a couple of years of seasoning. I'm not sure where he should play based on what we've seen. They seem to want him to be a winger, but he looks like a number 10. He drifted inside almost every time he touched the ball, although maybe that was just design.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson is the guy of the 3 youngsters I could see sticking around for awhile. He badly needs minutes to refine his game. If he presses the same way he tried to last year, he will be yellow carded before the 10 minute mark.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    ^Small initial fee, big percentage of cut for sell on fee.

Only real way for MLS teams to make it worthwhile to invest in a youth system.

Toronto really doesn't care about making a profit in the transfer market anyways. That being said, what greater way to advertise yourself as a means to playing in Europe than selling Rutty to a big club in Europe?