6 27.27%
  • March 15

13 59.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It took Bill and Ali a whole month to hire a coach who they had in their pocket all along. I'll be really surprised if they sign a DP before March 15. My prediction is during the summer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    It took Bill and Ali a whole month to hire a coach who they had in their pocket all along. I'll be really surprised if they sign a DP before March 15. My prediction is during the summer window.

Armas was in deep discussions with DCU including an offer. I doubt he was the first choice here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Armas was in deep discussions with DCU including an offer. I doubt he was the first choice here.
    Right.

This Ali bashing is getting a bit ridiculous. I'm not thrilled about Armas either, but we all saw that they were going after Blanc and then Viera. Armas, the third choice, is clearly, unfortunately, the best they could do. There are many reasons why it could've been difficult to hire someone this year (i.e. all the travel uncertainty), so I guess Armas is the best we could do.

But we don't know if Armas was 'in Ali's pocket' or not. And they did try to get someone bigger. So let's cut him some slack.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Frank Lampard is available lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Frank Lampard is available lol
    So is Rafa Benitez now.

Gee, if only we'd waited even longer! lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rafa wants a job in England tho so doubt he would have even considered a job over this side of the pond

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Right.

This Ali bashing is getting a bit ridiculous. I'm not thrilled about Armas either, but we all saw that they were going after Blanc and then Viera. Armas, the third choice, is clearly, unfortunately, the best they could do. There are many reasons why it could've been difficult to hire someone this year (i.e. all the travel uncertainty), so I guess Armas is the best we could do.

But we don't know if Armas was 'in Ali's pocket' or not. And they did try to get someone bigger. So let's cut him some slack.
    I don't get the outright animosity towards Curtis either. If you are a high calibre coach or player what is the attraction of MLS? North America is a soccer back water with the sport well behind football, basketball, baseball and hockey in terms of popularity. The travel is grueling. You play a significant amount of games on plastic fields. In many markets the team is irrelevant. And you play a schedule that is opposite most of the rest of the world that makes playing for your national team almost impossible.

The only reason to come to MLS is if a club there is willing to pay you significantly more than you can get anywhere else. This is the only reason Giovenco came here. In terms of global football TFC is a minnow, and ownership have demonstrated that the days of the Giovenco type signings are over. Supporters are going to have to adjust their expectations.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    The only reason to come to MLS is if a club there is willing to pay you significantly more than you can get anywhere else. This is the only reason Giovenco came here. In terms of global football TFC is a minnow, and ownership have demonstrated that the days of the Giovenco type signings are over. Supporters are going to have to adjust their expectations.
    Going to just put this here

Poz was an equally big signing only shadowed by Giovinco because of the Italy / Juve connections & he didn't do so hot in the EPL which colours North American sensibilities.

Poz is in his prime and one of the best passers this league has ever seen & one of the best PK takers ever in the whole of the game's history(an underrated skill). We undervalue his signing because of Covid & he has brought only 1 trophy (East champs, which to my mind is a big trophy/achievement) in 2 seasons - which mirrors Seba's first 2 years achievements btw.

When he leaves, if they don't make as big a get, then we'll know things have changed. But Poz is on Seba's level of quality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poz was an equally big signing only shadowed by Giovinco because of the Italy / Juve connections & he didn't do so hot in the EPL which colours North American sensibilities.

Poz is in his prime and one of the best passers this league has ever seen & one of the best PK takers ever in the whole of the game's history(an underrated skill). We undervalue his signing because of Covid & he has brought only 1 trophy (East champs, which to my mind is a big trophy/achievement) in 2 seasons - which mirrors Seba's first 2 years achievements btw.

When he leaves, if they don't make as big a get, then we'll know things have changed. But Poz is on Seba's level of quality.
    Giovinco was younger, an actual Italian international being courted by the likes of Monaco and Spurs. He dominated this league even when he didn’t put up numbers. He made it look like a joke sometimes. Any argument that doesn’t have either him or Robbie Keane as the best player in MLS history is sentimental/wishful. Poz is amazing but shouldn’t be compared to Seba until he’s destroyed this league. His best season still isn’t better than Victor Vazquez’s.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Giovinco was younger, an actual Italian international being courted by the likes of Monaco and Spurs. He dominated this league even when he didn’t put up numbers. He made it look like a joke sometimes. Any argument that doesn’t have either him or Robbie Keane as the best player in MLS history is sentimental/wishful. Poz is amazing but shouldn’t be compared to Seba until he’s destroyed this league. His best season still isn’t better than Victor Vazquez’s.
    I would agree on your first point, not sure I agree on the Vasquez one, he was the perfect piece for a very good team at the right time. Not sure he could have carried us like Poz has, imagine Poz in the 2017 team....lights out. My only issue with Poz, and it is so small but i would just once like to see him screw chipping it and put laces through a ball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I mean, I agree with you in some respects but you have to admit some element of “big signing” is hype and familiarity.

I think Poz is very special but not quite Giovonco at his best special. That was an outrageous run of form. You just threw him the ball out wide and he made it work. Either he runs around the whole team or you foul him and he converts a ridiculous number of free kicks.

Poz is great, no doubt, but I don’t think he reaches that height. We should just consider ourselves lucky to have two players of this quality to wear our shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Well, I mean, I agree with you in some respects but you have to admit some element of “big signing” is hype and familiarity.

I think Poz is very special but not quite Giovonco at his best special. That was an outrageous run of form. You just threw him the ball out wide and he made it work. Either he runs around the whole team or you foul him and he converts a ridiculous number of free kicks.

Poz is great, no doubt, but I don’t think he reaches that height. We should just consider ourselves lucky to have two players of this quality to wear our shirt.
    Seba (instead of Jozy) and Poz on the same team in 2019 probably wins us MLS Cup. Can you imagine those two together?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, fair enough - just think people who think we don't spend money anymore gloss over Poz like that $10 million doesn't exist.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seba (instead of Jozy) and Poz on the same team in 2019 probably wins us MLS Cup. Can you imagine those two together?
    Don't agree, i think you are thinking of the Jozy of last year.. He played on a damaged ankle and scores that insane goal (all guys) and mo one else finishes that magical goal in the MLS Cup. Its ok to be critical of jozy lately but in 2016 & 17. He was the beast and made so much room for Victor and Gio. It was a team all the way around

Edit - Misread you quote... Probably in 2019 but still stand by 2017

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, fair enough - just think people who think we don't spend money anymore gloss over Poz like that $10 million doesn't exist.
    For sure! That was not a cheap signing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Poz demanded a Seba type salary does TFC still sign him? I would guess not, but that is just my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To add to my previous point Poz is now entering his third year with TFC and we haven't had a significant signing since he came. Last year the club went on the cheap with Piatti and this was before Covid. We also haven't seen big money TAM signings for over $1MM per season like the club paid for Aketxe. Gallardo has been a bust but my understanding is that his contract is cheap for a TAM. I am willing to cut Curtis some slack as it is hard to attract players to TFC unless you are willing to open up the cheque book. We are not a glamorous city like NY or L.A., nor can we offer a warm climate like the Florida or California clubs. I hope I am wrong but until I see evidence to the contrary I am of the view that Curtis is operating under a significantly reduced budget compared to what Bez had to work with.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 01-27-2021 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If Jozy actually played in the 2019 final from start to finish - we win the MLS Cup

Pozuelo is a league MVP. The guy is good.
    Seba is a league MVP. The guy is good.

Neither win an MLS Cup without a player like Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Completely agree. He needs to learn how to play inside the structure of the team, especially one where he’s (likely) not going to be the best player on the pitch.

Raw talent is there but needs some serious refining.

Not as much fear as absolute terror. He’s okay and there’s always room for that sort of vet on the roster but I fear we’ll be kicked out of the league if he plays too often. MLS will have a class action on their hands from former defenders with Mullins-related PTSD
    That would be PMSD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya, I have. It would be incredible.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vazquez was more special than some realize. So smart. Perfect touch. Special!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    To add to my previous point Poz is now entering his third year with TFC and we haven't had a significant signing since he came....
    Poz was 2 years ago.

Piatti wasn't the first choice last year.

We don't know what the transfer fees have been this year.

Lets see what they go with.

Also, the new 3rd DP rule coming down is a dumb move by Vancouver types who don't want us to spend. That, unfortuantely, has to be taken into account.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poz was 2 years ago.

Piatti wasn't the first choice last year.

We don't know what the transfer fees have been this year.

Lets see what they go with.

Also, the new 3rd DP rule coming down is a dumb move by Vancouver types who don't want us to spend. That, unfortunately, has to be taken into account.
    Ya, trying to bring the rich teams down to the level of those who refuse to spend. That should be their problem, not ours.