13 59.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Poll: The deadline for the signing of TFC's next DP

Because almost nothing happens now at TFC in terms of player contracts, I'm throwing this out against this sickening boredom:

What do you think will be the deadline for the signing of TFC's next new DP (and why)?

There are 4 answers to choose from the poll.
    I did not put a date beyond March 15, because if til that date we're still not having a new DP, the whole management can screw themselves IMO.
    Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 01-16-2021 at 06:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have voted for Feb 28, mainly because of the snail-speed Ali is used to work with on player movements.
    Also the new MLS season can start even as late as mid-April because of this shitty pandemic, so this adds more fuel (in the wrong sense) to Ali's working speed IMO...

Of course I hope I am wrong, and will happen latest in early February.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In theory, 7.5 million people in Ontario will be getting vaccinated by the end of June.

We get our new DP then. Look for the people out of contract now.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    In theory, 7.5 million people in Ontario will be getting vaccinated by the end of June.

We get our new DP then. Look for the people out of contract now.
    Og I know you follow this closely, isn’t this kind of optimistic? If we don't get the J&J vaccine in March, and you only use the mRNA vaccines I think it's more like September/October to get to that kind of number.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Og I know you follow this closely, isn’t this kind of optimistic? If we don't get the J&J vaccine in March, and you only use the mRNA vaccines I think it's more like September/October to get to that kind of number.
    Federal numbers & dates given to the province - that's why I said in theory. Canada has agreements & bought a HECK of lot of vaccines. Feds have been very nimble in all this - province less so which is why I said in theory.

We shall see but nothing I've seen yet indicates these numbers are not on track.

Point is this is a big carrot to people looking to play in North America - come to a region which has its shit together.

Of course, perception is possible to change in the next few months if the US feds get their shit together.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 01-16-2021 at 05:13 PM.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Federal numbers & dates given to the province - that's why I said in theory. Canada has agreements & bought a HECK of lot of vaccines. Feds have been very nimble in all this - province less so which is why I said in theory.
    Not really, don't listen to the politicians. It's not about the number of vaccines it's about delivery, and most of the vaccines were ordered late and have quite late delivery (the original plan was to go all in on a vaccine partnership with China, which their government scuttled due to Meng/Huawei, that's why we didn't order until August). We're no way near worst in the world, but we're not at the front of the line either. We won't have herd immunity until at least September, and maybe not until 2022. If I was a player I'd be looking at Israel, which will be fully vaccinated by March. Nicer weather than Canada too.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-16-2021 at 05:57 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with OG. I think we will be getting our new DP in June/July. We will know who it is by the end of the winter though.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not really sure at this point with all the uncertainties hanging over the start of the 2021 season. With the uncertainties of the CBA and the current Covid situation a May or later start to the MLS season would not surprising me at this point. Can see many owners wanting to wait and see, especially if they can not have any fans in the stands in any real numbers. There are lots of moving parts here to figure out before things can proceed.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would plan to play July to Christmas and have the Canadian teams on the road the first two months. I think that could work.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Add me to the list that the next DP doesn't arrive until the summer, due both to Covid and the availability of more players during the summer transfer window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer, and low value like Piatti. Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s Piatti back and no new DP this year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Given Armas just came in I’d be okay with the summer once he’s got a better idea of the roster.

Having a third DP before March isn’t going to make or break our playoff chances and if it does then we’ve got bigger problems.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No option for "no DP," which is where my expectations are.

If I was them, I wouldn't sign any high priced DP until crowds can be back at BMO.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    No option for "no DP," which is where my expectations are.

If I was them, I wouldn't sign any high priced DP until crowds can be back at BMO.
    That's my feeling, too. Unless the poll actually meant Jan 31, 2022?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This poll is missing the obvious choice: "In two weeks."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    This poll is missing the obvious choice: "In two weeks."
    Comedy gold!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    Comedy gold!

"Two weeks" is both funny and not funny. Folks on here are speculating summer or later for a DP arrival. Just a reminder, during the recent pressers for the Armas hiring (Jan. 14), Michael Leach @MLeach680News reported the following:

Curtis says that #TFCLive has been in some advanced talks on DP signing.
    Take from that what you will.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart thing for TFC FO would do is to see how Armas does with current squad till summer, and then add a DP that'd address the position that needs most help, or is going to put TFC over the top for deep playoff run.

Barring trades, only signing I see right now for TFC is a 3rd CB before the season starts.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    "Two weeks" is both funny and not funny. Folks on here are speculating summer or later for a DP arrival. Just a reminder, during the recent pressers for the Armas hiring (Jan. 14), Michael Leach @MLeach680News reported the following:

Take from that what you will.
    Hard to take anything from that except that it may or may not mean anything.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To be honest, if we could sign Piatti as a TAM and a CB TAM, I would hold off as well. Realistically, where is Piatti going to go (maybe another MLS team) but wouldn't he need to go through allocation if he didn't sign with us.. He got injured again so no big league will take a chance. Achara, Altitore and Akinola healthy is almost like two new players and give the young guys coming up some time.

Shield isn't the priority, CCL and League should be this year.

I want the DP, just not sure who or what the need really is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In two weeks. I think it will be a young winger.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mikmacdo View Post
    In two weeks. I think it will be a young winger.
    You maybe right, but after those "Ali-style two weeks" have passed, our young winger gonna be a middle-aged winger.

Last edited by PizzaEatingYeti; 01-18-2021 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally don't care when we sign a DP. That's the least of our worries. I want to see some under max budget signings especially at CB and to add to the depth. Another forward with some actual pace would be nice too.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to see Piatti back as a non-DP if they can swing it. If Altidore can actually play more this year that would mean they can take more time with the other DP slot if needed. I would rather keep my expectations for Altidore low though and then be pleasantly surprised if he can contribute this year versus expecting him to play the amount of games that a DP should and then be disappointed again. I would like, like many others on here, for them to definitely concentrate on the CB spot more immediately.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need a proven goal scorer that complements Altidore or someone that can play alone in his absence.

Too many inexperienced options in our ranks right now. I would intentionally thin those out. There is no way we are going to find time for all those players.

Focus on the best upside(I would argue that’s Rutty, long term) and loan out or sell some of the others.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    We need a proven goal scorer that complements Altidore or someone that can play alone in his absence.

Too many inexperienced options in our ranks right now. I would intentionally thin those out. There is no way we are going to find time for all those players.

Focus on the best upside(I would argue that’s Rutty, long term) and loan out or sell some of the others.
    Are you trying to say Mullins doesn't strike fear into teams coming off the bench?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nelson is the guy I would focus on loaning out in this transfer window. He has the ability but is still very raw. He needs to play more minutes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Nelson is the guy I would focus on loaning out in this transfer window. He has the ability but is still very raw. He needs to play more minutes.
    Completely agree. He needs to learn how to play inside the structure of the team, especially one where he’s (likely) not going to be the best player on the pitch.

Raw talent is there but needs some serious refining.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kool View Post
    Are you trying to say Mullins doesn't strike fear into teams coming off the bench?
    Not as much fear as absolute terror. He’s okay and there’s always room for that sort of vet on the roster but I fear we’ll be kicked out of the league if he plays too often. MLS will have a class action on their hands from former defenders with Mullins-related PTSD
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-18-2021 at 06:13 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Completely agree. He needs to learn how to play inside the structure of the team, especially one where he’s (likely) not going to be the best player on the pitch.

Raw talent is there but needs some serious refining.

Not as much fear as absolute terror. He’s okay and there’s always room for that sort of vet on the roster but I fear we’ll be kicked out of the league if he plays too often. MLS will have a class action on their hands from former defenders with Mullins-related PTSD
    That would be PMSD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greatest players in MLS history

1. Patrick Mullinho
    2. Who cares?