Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Seriously though why is the whole article posted here. Give them link or tell people to subscribe to read.
    It's bloody free.
    At least let the guy get a few more subscribers. We have so few content creators doing good work about TFC. This is disrespectful.
    If people like the article, they can subscribe like I did. Trying to be helpful, but I guess I should expect vitriol by some members of this board no matter what. Feel good about yourself?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There will be a presser today concerning the hire at 1pm ET.

RPB Member
    Treasurer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Rollins article about Armas hire:
    If you want to refer to any media, linking to the source and not copy paste gives the authors credit for reading their content

https://24thminute.substack.com/
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 01-14-2021 at 05:31 PM.
    That's all I'll say about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Redpunkfiddle View Post
    If you want to refer to any media, linking to the source and not copy paste gives the authors credit for reading their content

https://24thminute.substack.com/
    It’s a free email, there’s no credit to receive. I always link articles or tweets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On SoccerToday we reported that TFC had gone after Patrick Vieira hard. The club has denied that they offered him a contract, but we were told that they were being cute with that. He wasn’t officially offered a deal, but he was told what the deal would be so he could consider it. Ultimately, he decided to stay in Europe and look for another job there.
    Surprise, surprise.

And once again the local press proves its lack of foresight (if true). I tend to believe it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status...484601862?s=21

New coach presser

I can’t watch Ali talk anymore, can someone please summarize? 😂

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/torontofc/status...484601862?s=21

New coach presser

I can’t watch Ali talk anymore, can someone please summarize? 
    I got bored within a couple of minutes of watching these three. With the set up like this, with no questions from KJ or someone, it's all just drivel. Nothing to see here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comment from Rollins:

https://twitter.com/24thminute/statu...832632834?s=21

So maybe a press is coming?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I hate the way Jozy is treated around here. People calling him names are ingrates.

He was overpaid last year but who cares. He's legend. Good for him. Richie was seriously underpaid, where's the reaction to that?.

As Auzzy would say....this, exactly this!

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just seeing the reporter tweets & ...yup....the press is coming.

Which means team turnover

Which means 2021 is a lost season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Just seeing the reporter tweets & ...yup....the press is coming.

Which means team turnover

Which means 2021 is a lost season.
    So Curtis’ idea of an ‘off-season to remember’ is a needless overhaul reminiscent of an unstable team no one wants to remember? Sounds like a nightmare come true.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any time a new coach comes into a team, they deserve to be given 3 transfer periods before being judged on their body of work with a club. That said, I foresee a lot of upheaval in 2021. Toronto will probably still be a playoff team, but an early round exit at best with the current lineup trying to implement a press. Expect snafus and the occasional hilarious error. I'll just try to enjoy the ride this year. However, if June 2022 comes around and the team is mired in mediocrity, then at that point the brain trust needs to be investigated.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now when Bradley retires after next season does he now become the automatic assistant to Armas since this was his preferred choice to be coach?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If people like the article, they can subscribe like I did. Trying to be helpful, but I guess I should expect vitriol by some members of this board no matter what. Feel good about yourself?
    Thanks for sharing, but this board does not allow posting of complete articles, we respect copyright and try to support the writers. You can summarize a key point and point others where they can subscribe too. That way you can be most helpful to both the writer and to the board members.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Thanks for sharing, but this board does not allow posting of complete articles, we respect copyright and try to support the writers. You can summarize a key point and point others where they can subscribe too. That way you can be most helpful to both the writer and to the board members.
    Thank you for the clarification, I did not know that. I would have responded differently if I did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Well, I was right that it would be someone "they" worked with before. (This is a suit rule of life, the rule works 80-90% of the time.)

But i was wrong in thinking that Manning wouldn't let it be just someone from Ali's network.
    Hold on there chief....from Davidson's article tonight...

Back in the early '90s, Armas played for Puerto Rico alongside current Toronto president Bill Manning. Both men spent time in the USL with Armas at the Long Island Rough Riders and Manning — who went on to become the Rough Riders GM prior to working in MLS — at the New York Fever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KJ and Armas:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/armas-grateful-for-tfc-coaching-job-motivated-to-repay-organization-for-opportunity~2119245

Unfortunately a little short on any real info.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 01-14-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    Hold on there chief....from Davidson's article tonight...
    hahaha thank you. So there you go!

I took a bunch of stick for that view.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Seriously though why is the whole article posted here. Give them link or tell people to subscribe to read.
    It's bloody free.
    At least let the guy get a few more subscribers. We have so few content creators doing good work about TFC. This is disrespectful.
    OK. i subscribed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just finished watching the Armas press conference on YouTube. There were 257 views and 8 comments posted. So for those of you wondering why the club is not pursuing a big name coach or DP you now have your answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    Manning, Ali, and Armas are all chrome domes. Coincidence?
    It was a requirement for the role. Apparently TFC offered the job to Zidane but he wasn't interested. I also heard that Marouane Fellaini, Kyle Beckerman and Carlos Valderrama all called Manning to express an interest but none of them got an interview.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    I just finished watching the Armas press conference on YouTube. There were 257 views and 8 comments posted. So for those of you wondering why the club is not pursuing a big name coach or DP you now have your answer.
    Chicken or the egg?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Armas, who made a team built for the press not press as much is expected to make a team not built for the press press more. Fantastic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just realized that we now have a bald trio of Manning, Ali and now Armas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Any time a new coach comes into a team, they deserve to be given 3 transfer periods before being judged on their body of work with a club. That said, I foresee a lot of upheaval in 2021. Toronto will probably still be a playoff team, but an early round exit at best with the current lineup trying to implement a press. Expect snafus and the occasional hilarious error. I'll just try to enjoy the ride this year. However, if June 2022 comes around and the team is mired in mediocrity, then at that point the brain trust needs to be investigated.
    I would be willing to extend it to 4 even given the fact that unless a miracle happens the odds of TFC being allowed to play at BMO this season a slim to none. It will be at least the mid to late summer before the government will even consider giving the ok. Which in turn mean that they will be playing out of Hartford again. I can see that being a hard sell especially for a DP, having to say goodbye to your family for weeks at a time.

On the plus side it will mean we get to hear more Brass Bonanza

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hes been made assistant coach in 2019 for the men's team under herdman after previously coaching our u20 squad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Caldwell ever coached a pro men's team?
    Hes Canada nation team assistant coach since 2019, selected by headman after coaching our u20 national team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    So Armas, who made a team built for the press not press as much is expected to make a team not built for the press press more. Fantastic.
    Well put

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the wrong way of thinking about it. The bigger name (maybe not coach but DP) widens the interest in the club exponentially. This, in contrast, as unenthusiastic a hire as they come and Armas might be a good coach (or not) but I give his public speaking a 2/10. You can’t headline sports centre with a rambling, shifty-eyed dude who nobody has heard of. Even in this depressed environment, that clip is probably going into the last 5 minutes of taping.

This team doesn’t have much of a history to fall back on, it needs big, attention-grabbing moments to keep market interest. You have a large audience in GTA and beyond that likes soccer. You just have to sell them on the credibility of your product. You could probably trace a decent chunk of interest we have today back to Defoe, Giovonco, and all the hype created by the last management team.

Just to come full circle on this, I am concerned regardless of what Manning and Curtis can accomplish on the field, off of it they are hopeless when it comes to marketing. I feel like we could have a good team and public interest would still drop off because they just don’t get it.

And hilariously, when people reference whether they are up for the challenge of managing here, we get talk of “oh, Ali managed in New York” (cause what’s Toronto if you can handle that? Right??). Except New York was actually New Jersey and that team struggles to be relevant. It’s like me saying I’m a big-time chef in Manhattan and when in reality I run a hotdog cart on the corner of Times Square.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-15-2021 at 08:57 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    And hilariously, when people reference whether they are up for the challenge of managing here, we get talk of “oh, Ali managed in New York” (cause what’s Toronto if you can handle that? Right??). Except New York was actually New Jersey and that team struggles to be relevant. It’s like me saying I’m a big-time chef in Manhattan and when in reality I run a hotdog cart on the corner of Times Square.
    So true, I am now going to say something that will piss some people on this board off. Vanney was an excellent communicator, and you need that in a coach. But I remember looking back at 2017 Payroll, Lieweike & MLSE spent money to win. Vanney won one time.... was he a tactical genius. I would say that is suspect.

I think our lot is going to be determined more by what is the budget moving forward and who is running the football operations and Bez over Ali every day of the week.

Armas vs Vanney (meh), I still think the best thing would be to see MB grow into that role.

Toronto FC LA Galaxy New York City FC Chicago Fire Los Angeles FC Portland Timbers Montreal Impact Seattle Sounders FC Atlanta United Colorado Rapids FC Dallas Sporting Kansas City Real Salt Lake Orlando City SC Philadelphia Union
    2016 21.8 18.11 21.13 5.6 - 6.83 6.74 10.73 - 8.49 4.32 6.75 5.96 11.55 5.67
    2017 22.55 14.57 18.11 13.09 - 11.37 6.32 11.82 - 8.26 7.35 6.3 8.58 14.58 7.18
    2018 26.17 17.5 14.15 13.8 13.43 12.52 11.89 11.38 11.31 11 9.33 9.18 8.98 8.98 8.92
    2019 24.27 19.64 10.41 17.11 13.77 12.55 13.15 13.68 12.96 8.6 8.81 12.07 11.12 12.57 9.85

I honestly don't know what is going to happen and Armas could flop, but if MLSE keep spending not worried. If the tap shuts off, then we need real football people in the room.
    Last edited by Bushmancan; 01-15-2021 at 09:47 AM.