Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Caldwell seems so out of touch just commenting on a game, let alone managing.
    he did Captain Sunderland, Burnley, Birmingham, TFC and Scotland (part of a match). Does know something about the game and has quietly been working on his coaching. I wouldn't have thought he was the guy but when he was a player most on these boards praised his tenacity work ethic etc etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    he did Captain Sunderland, Burnley, Birmingham, TFC and Scotland (part of a match). Does know something about the game and has quietly been working on his coaching. I wouldn't have thought he was the guy but when he was a player most on these boards praised his tenacity work ethic etc etc.
    I’m not questioning his knowledge of the game or what kind of a player he was, but he criticizes tfc constantly and always speaks highly of other teams when commenting. I worry he wouldn’t be able to motivate players and would quickly lose the room. I hope to God I’m wrong but I certainly wouldn’t be feeling very confident if he was chosen.
    On a personal note, I met him once and he seemed like a bit of a self absorbed douche. I got the feeling that he had an old school, hard ass type personality, doesn’t play so well with the younger generation. Maybe a bad day, but it didn’t leave a good impression.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 01-11-2021 at 10:36 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    He revels too much in that old school, get-stuck-in approach. It hindered him in his later years as a player and would certainly do the same disservice as a coach.

Zero interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has Caldwell ever coached a pro men's team?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    Has Caldwell ever coached a pro men's team?
    Plus does he have one of those coaching licenses?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he has been helping out with the CNMT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m not questioning his knowledge of the game or what kind of a player he was, but he criticizes tfc constantly and always speaks highly of other teams when commenting. I worry he wouldn’t be able to motivate players and would quickly lose the room. I hope to God I’m wrong but I certainly wouldn’t be feeling very confident if he was chosen.
    On a personal note, I met him once and he seemed like a bit of a self absorbed douche. I got the feeling that he had an old school, hard ass type personality, doesn’t play so well with the younger generation. Maybe a bad day, but it didn’t leave a good impression.
    That may be a little bit rough. I've chatted with him on several occasions and he has always come across as friendly, chatty and courteous.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caldwell is about as qualified as Nelsen, and the results would likely match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I cosign to what OgtheDim said as I personally I'm baffled that a premium club in MLS like Toronto FC can't attract a higher quality of coach from the world stage, honestly no disrespect to any of the 3 names mentioned above however my level of expectation from an outfit like MLSE is everything they do is Top Tier quality & nothing else will suffice. Why not have Manning announced that they have an interim tag place on one of the guys who worked under Greg till at least summertime where I'm certain more options will become available.... I would honestly have zero issue with that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At minimum we need a coach who has had a head coaching job previously at MLS or above level. That leaves Chris Armas. Definitely not a high profile signing, but at least he has MLS coaching experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaviRed View Post
    I cosign to what OgtheDim said as I personally I'm baffled that a premium club in MLS like Toronto FC can't attract a higher quality of coach from the world stage, honestly no disrespect to any of the 3 names mentioned above however my level of expectation from an outfit like MLSE is everything they do is Top Tier quality & nothing else will suffice. Why not have Manning announced that they have an interim tag place on one of the guys who worked under Greg till at least summertime where I'm certain more options will become available.... I would honestly have zero issue with that
    that is what you get when the management is USL caliber,they have no cache in the world of futbol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ali is starting to remind me of one of those rich dads who makes a big deal of promising their kid a car at 16, everyone expects it will be a Porsche, until he shows up with a 98’ Toyota Tercel 😂

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
    That may be a little bit rough. I've chatted with him on several occasions and he has always come across as friendly, chatty and courteous.
    That’s fair, I had a very small sample to draw an opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DaviRed View Post
    This is what's kind of surprising me too. Maybe I'm (we're) just biased, but I honestly thought that TFC had grown to a stature where we could attract decent-level coaches from anywhere in the world. Didn't someone text KJ that TFC was "the best job in MLS"? I guess it must have just been Olsen. lol

So yeah, I'm feeling kind of disappointed. And I still don't know why they can't/won't consider Bent, or do their damnedest to get Fraser back.

But then, if there are no other options ... I actually don't mind giving Caldwell a shot. At least he knows the club inside and out, and I get the feeling he'd be the type of guy to put his foot down and challenge anything that's not working (like the insistence on certain players in certain formations, for example). Plus he does have coaching experience, albeit at the international level. If we can't get someone more experienced, it'd be worth a punt, I'd say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    he has been helping out with the CNMT
    But what is that, really?

While guys like Bent or Dichio actually go out and pursue a career and get hands on experience, Caldwell “occasionally” helps with a team that is basically never active and to be frank, doesn’t appear to be very well coached.

I wouldn’t even grant him an interview, let alone hire him for the job. The discussion should be a non starter.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s fair, I had a very small sample to draw an opinion.
    How does he move from being the Colour commentator, who has publicly criticized (merited or not) players on field performance and with no real success at MLS or coaching in general, manage the team? Assistant as a very long shot but not as the Gaffer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have to give the FO and Ali some slack here. They have a very difficult task in selling a top coach in the current situation. Have to assume much of this season (if it happens) will be on the road away from family and the teams dedicated facilities. Also, given the financial situation, do you really want to splash absurd cash just to get someone over the line?

IMO they should go with an interim known quantity for this season and buy some more time to let the Covid impact lessen. My vote is Dunfield lol.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stress View Post
    You have to give the FO and Ali some slack here. They have a very difficult task in selling a top coach in the current situation. Have to assume much of this season (if it happens) will be on the road away from family and the teams dedicated facilities. Also, given the financial situation, do you really want to splash absurd cash just to get someone over the line?

IMO they should go with an interim known quantity for this season and buy some more time to let the Covid impact lessen. My vote is Dunfield lol.

No that is fair and respectfully I just think Caldwell is not the guy. Just my opinion of course but if you want to coach get some experience but not at what should be one of the top 5 teams in MLS. We still haven't qualified for CCL and that cannot be taken for granted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Dichio still with the club? Maybe give him a shot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Is Dichio still with the club? Maybe give him a shot.
    IIRC, he has no interest in coaching adults.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris Armas it looks to be.

https://twitter.com/TransfersMLS/status/1349170944884011013?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if true...i wonder if we are going to play a NYRB pressing style?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Not sounding like a ‘big club’ signing to me. Sounds like who you pick if you can’t get anyone better.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm....I blocked that account for not telling the truth about transfers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While it is disappointing at first glance, I do prefer Armas over Olsen and he might a good guy to play the youth like Vanney did. I do fear that this team still has the potential to win something now which wasn't the case with Vanney in 2014. We don't have the luxury of waiting for Armas to grow into the position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Super View Post
    At minimum we need a coach who has had a head coaching job previously at MLS or above level. That leaves Chris Armas. Definitely not a high profile signing, but at least he has MLS coaching experience.
    Apparently you are prescient...

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One tweet, and I'll say it again

I specifically blocked that account because it fabricates stuff

When somebody else has the news, then I'll consider it

but not from that one guy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have met him several times and he's always been super nice, as you say maybe a bad day for him when you met him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by burlington Red View Post
    I have met him several times and he's always been super nice, as you say maybe a bad day for him when you met him
    I’m sure how much I dislike his commentary probably coloured my impression of him. I just can’t understand how someone can spew so much negativity about a team they are supposedly supporting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RT @TransfersMLS: A source has told me that Chris Armas to Toronto is happening. #TorontoFC