Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I'm not sure having your own preferred analytics guy is a good thing, but I would say a team bringing one in for the sake of a head coach indicates to me a team that has no clue about "identity".

i.e We had a TFC way under Vanney & Bez and it looks like Curtis & Armas are going with a Red Bulls way.

Get ready for a transition year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Yep, that would be largely my take too at this point.

That said, I don’t see why this team needs a huge overhaul. The main things that really need to be addressed are Alitdore, Bradley’s role, and new signings.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Yeah, I'm not sure having your own preferred analytics guy is a good thing, but I would say a team bringing one in for the sake of a head coach indicates to me a team that has no clue about "identity".

i.e We had a TFC way under Vanney & Bez and it looks like Curtis & Armas are going with a Red Bulls way.

Get ready for a transition year.
    We've had an analytics guy at TFC since 2015 - it doesn't look like he's left the club and he's a director level guy. So I would assume this new guy is going to report to him

https://twitter.com/devinpleuler?ref...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Last edited by jabbronies; 02-04-2021 at 02:28 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good because Pleuler is one of the best in the business at this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tsn let KJ go,jus brutal.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If somebody is smart, Kristian Jack is going to get a VERY good gig covering sports in the US.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely. KJ was the best thing about the TSN broadcast. Caldwell would of been a much better cut. I can stomach Wileman until the 20th time he tells me Jonathan Osorio is a 'Canadian International'.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy crap RE KJ. The blood letting at Bell (TSN), and everywhere all over media for years, is just insane.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welp, I feel like we’ll be watching league games on one soccer in the not-so-distant future (maybe that’s not a bad thing?).

Doesn’t exactly send an ambitious signal when you cut the cornerstone of your broadcast team and have no foreseeable replacement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should join Dazn. It's inevitable that they will get all football coverage in North America in the next few years.

Dazn is great value for money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It will be interesting to see the direction TSN goes with soccer. They have MLS (until 2022 I believe), Euro 2020 and 2022 World Cup Rights.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shocking news re: KJ. Sad for the others too, but he is so good at what he does.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bit shocked by news that TSN let KJ go. Was definitely a stand out on TSN re his level of knowledge of footie. He had great insight into the game, especially those segments he did on formation and breakdown of plays. I always walked away understanding the game to a much deeper level after watching him. He will be missed.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    He should join Dazn. It's inevitable that they will get all football coverage in North America in the next few years.

Dazn is great value for money.
    I do have DAZN. I haven't had cable TV in over 20 years, I got DAZN for NFL originally, and the footy coverage has been a nice add-on, although it has varied as leagues come and go from the platform. But I honestly worry a bit about "great value for money." I'm concerned that the cost may really change once they've cornered more of the market, and eliminated more of the competition. I bet DAZN is losing money so far?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I do have DAZN. I haven't had cable TV in over 20 years, I got DAZN for NFL originally, and the footy coverage has been a nice add-on, although it has varied as leagues come and go from the platform. But I honestly worry a bit about "great value for money." I'm concerned that the cost may really change once they've cornered more of the market, and eliminated more of the competition. I bet DAZN is losing money so far?
    I probably wouldn't have cable if it were just me in the house but having a family I am not going to cut them off but considering it still these days. Unless I am missing something I would say that 95% of the viewing in my house is Netflix, Amazon Prime or DAZN (for me) so not even using the cable service most times. If it wasn't for the TFC coverage having to be on cable TV there isn't a ton of reasons to have it these days.

As nice as it would be to have all the soccer leagues I watch on one service like DAZN I would be concerned as well with the whole cornering the market thing and possible increased billing because that would suck. I asked them recently about adding SPL to the list of leagues because I don't know any other carrier for that in Canada. Aside from soccer though I don't watch anything else on DAZN. I think it is still pretty good value right now even just for soccer. I like the annual cheaper price vs paying monthly.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN is not getting out of soccer for the same reason MLSE is in soccer - long term play.

2026 is going to be huge - TSN want that.

KJ got hit by a "this quarter we need to make x amount so lets cut some spending" move. They figure they can do soccer without him. What Bell doesn't realise is they can engage people more with better commentators.

ESPN should grab KJ as he would be excellent at soccer as well as Formula 1 - dual mode people are useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSN is not getting out of soccer for the same reason MLSE is in soccer - long term play.

2026 is going to be huge - TSN want that.

KJ got hit by a "this quarter we need to make x amount so lets cut some spending" move. They figure they can do soccer without him. What Bell doesn't realise is they can engage people more with better commentators.

ESPN should grab KJ as he would be excellent at soccer as well as Formula 1 - dual mode people are useful.
    TSN is going to get pushed out of the market. Don't you think other platforms do not see the future in soccer? Dazn have the capital to take over MLS market including Canada very easily.

I'm honestly sick and tired of TSN and Sportsnet, if they saw the potential why would they sack their best talent? All of the coverage over the years have been abysmal, the only ones who tried to make something of soccer was the CBC.
    They've got nothing over there but puck heads at Bell/Rogers.
    Last edited by Richard; 02-05-2021 at 06:18 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@PaulTenorio
    ·
    54m
    One interesting Friday night nugget I’ve heard from a couple sources: former Montreal star Ignacio Piatti is interested in an MLS return. Just turned 36 this week, but for the right price you have to listen, right...?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sucks. If there's justice he'll find another gig soon.
    Last edited by DavemTFC; 02-06-2021 at 06:15 PM. Reason: can't figure out how to embed tweet, so linking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tigres advanced to the final of the Club World Cup

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auro said on instagram he'd like to play for Canada in the future if he becomes eligible. I think 5 years is required for citizenship right?

"I don't know, depends on a lot of things, but I would like to"

EDIT: apparently to be eligible for the one time switch, you needed to be eligible for the other Nation when you represented your other nation, in which case Auro won't be allowed
    Last edited by rydermike; 02-10-2021 at 10:35 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season starts April 17

&

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Season starts April 17

&

Ugh. Can we not just get the training wheels off for this league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Ugh. Can we not just get the training wheels off for this league.
    They really are cheap sometimes just for the sake of it and against their own interests. This sort of stuff is like buying a luxury car and putting regular gas in it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DAZN pulling back from US market:

https://twitter.com/williamsbob75/st...664077312?s=21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like Tampa is a serious consideration for TFC's home for this season.

https://twitter.com/Beezersun/status...564933121?s=20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bayern Munich beat Tigres 1-0 to win the club world cup. We'll guys a couple years ago, we beat the now "second best team in the world".

I know they're not the second beat team in the world, but let me enjoy that for a minute lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Those contracts they signed were outrageous. It was more bullying their way into the space than economic sense.

Just my $0.02 but wouldn’t be surprised if we’ve reached the peak in terms of Pro Sports revenues and large TV contracts

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Sounds like Tampa is a serious consideration for TFC's home for this season.

https://twitter.com/Beezersun/status...564933121?s=20
    This is MLSE anti-synergy. Going there because the Raps went there is nice because it sure makes some admin people's lives easier.

Tampa in the summer is what locals call the “three hundred”: 100 degrees, 100% humidity, for 100 days.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is MLSE anti-synergy. Going there because the Raps went there is nice because it sure makes some admin people's lives easier.

Tampa in the summer is what locals call the “three hundred”: 100 degrees, 100% humidity, for 100 days.
    That’s okay, I’m sure that meshes well with a high-energy, pressing, style of football