Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334353637 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Manchester United is making a colossal mistake here.

I mean, assistant coach, that isn't a tactician role. It's the job of assistant coaches to get close to players, help them emotionally/mentally, smooth out the edges… this guy was a supreme failure at exactly those things!

and add on the fact that, it's a super club! Where every single person involved should have an enormous record of success wherever they have been.

Are they are running open mike night here?

I mean, what in the absolute f&$&?
    How many coaching badges does he even have? They should have just hired more of the Fergie boys if they we're going to pick the from the bottom of the barrel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great. Get him back here. Player/coach, solid sub, working with academy kids.

Let's get him sorted, this is a great person and a key team DNA guy.

You watch, if we don't - Vanney or Bez will.
    Agreed! Solid, dependable backup, good team guy, more than 150 appearances for us.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, assistant coach, that isn't a tactician role. It's the job of assistant coaches to get close to players, help them emotionally/mentally, smooth out the edges… this guy was a supreme failure at exactly those things!

and add on the fact that, it's a super club! Where every single person involved should have an enormous record of success wherever they have been.

Are they running open mike night here?

Rangnick mentioned that a number of people he wanted were under contract and unavailable. Chris for obvious reasons is available and Rangnick is familiar with him, they have to hit the ground running so bringing someone on he worked with before doesn’t seem that odd to me

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great. Get him back here. Player/coach, solid sub, working with academy kids.

Perfect fit to fill Morrow’s spot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are they running open mike night here?

Precisely. Of all the coaches in the world, Ragnick brings in this one? Imagine the players like “who the hell are you”.

This has the potential to go really sideways really quickly. Ole failed with pretty good and well respected former Man U players as assistant coaches - and Mike Phelan, who is well respected.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 12-06-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    How many coaching badges does he even have? They should have just hired more of the Fergie boys if they we're going to pick the from the bottom of the barrel.
    The article quoted earlier said this:

“He was denied the work permit because he did not have a UEFA Pro License“

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I’m not going to claim to know all about the inner workings of assistant coaching work but Armas was objectively one of the worst public speakers I have ever seen.

Maybe he’s better in one-on-one settings or something... Because my god he was a rambling mess in front of the press and we heard multiple backhanded comments about “very clear instructions” from players when Perez came in (ie. the last guy was confusing)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Rangnick mentioned that a number of people he wanted were under contract and unavailable. Chris for obvious reasons is available and Rangnick is familiar with him, they have to hit the ground running so bringing someone on he worked with before doesn’t seem that odd to me
    How much does Rangnick even know about what happened here? It's his responsibility to have a proper knowledge of what happened to Armas in MLS.

Also what are the Manchester United management doing, giving this kind of power to anyone?

You know what? The criteria for hiring coaches at this level is not just “who am I comfortable with?”

This is the biggest joke I have seen in world football in years, an abdication by senior management and a complete and total lack of respect for who Manchester United is by this Rangnick guy.

(I say all that as a Spurs supporter who could care less about how Manchester United does. But I give them and their fans the respect they deserve.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfect fit to fill Morrow’s spot
    Good point.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meh...they wanna pay the guy, there are worse hires - see the dozens of ex players who live off of playng fumes while being assistant coaches. Let him have a great time at a great place & if the Glazers want to pay for it, I really don't care. I don't begrudge the man taking a job as long as its not with any team I support.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Meh...they wanna pay the guy, there are worse hires - see the dozens of ex players who live off of playng fumes while being assistant coaches. Let him have a great time at a great place & if the Glazers want to pay for it, I really don't care. I don't begrudge the man taking a job as long as its not with any team I support.
    I would have this view if this weren’t a superclub.

But he wrecked our club, and this is a kind of violation of the laws of soccer physics, to fall this far uphill. It's not right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would it be a bigger joke than Michael Bradley being the head coach of TFC going into 2022?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much does Rangnick even know about what happened here? It's his responsibility to have a proper knowledge of what happened to Armas in MLS.

Also what are the Manchester United management doing, giving this kind of power to anyone?

You know what? The criteria for hiring coaches at this level is not just “who am I comfortable with?”

This is the biggest joke I have seen in world football in years, an abdication by senior management and a complete and total lack of respect for who Manchester United is by this Rangnick guy.

(I say all that as a Spurs supporter who could care less about how Manchester United does. But I give them and their fans the respect they deserve.)

By comfortable with I meant that Armas is someone already indoctrinated with his style of play-its having one more person on staff who can instruct on what to do. I know he shit the bed here but as a coach not making lineup calls he may be fine

As a Newcastle fan I have seen far worse decisions

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Would it be a bigger joke than Michael Bradley being the head coach of TFC going into 2022?
    By far. This is a secondary league.

At a Manchester United, there has to be a credible record of excellence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Manchester United is a meme. They are a year off joining Arsenal as a "banter club".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By far. This is a secondary league.

In the history of 'failing up' this has to be some kind of record.

Does anyone think he got off the phone with Rangnick and then just stared at the phone for about a minute, before pinching himself to make sure he hadn't landed in some sort of Life on Mars/Upside Down?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rsl declines option on ashtone morgan
    I’d like to see him back. As well as playing when called upon, he would help with general sanity and the improved team culture we desperately need.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Percy Shelley comes to mind...

Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Percy Shelley comes to mind...
    Haha very good. You made me start looking at other poetry about decay and disasters. Then I got a hold of myself!

I think the whole “MUFC aren’t MUFC anymore” thing is true but incomplete.

It's still one of the five or seven biggest teams in the world, and participants in the game of the caliber of Ronaldo still choose it. I mean, I think at least half the active managers in the top six leagues in world football would leave their jobs to be an assistant at an MUFC.

There is an expectation, a belief, on the part of everyone involved that decision making at a club like this is better than this.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-07-2021 at 07:56 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK I will stop now. I understand nothing anymore. I guess Ryan Nelsen to Barcelona is coming soon.

(Actually Nelsen worked for a long time in a top Europe league, with some success. That wouldn’t be as ridiculous.)
    Last edited by ensco; 12-07-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've read Armas is good at running the mental and awareness drills for pressing. Supposedly was good at that when assistant to Marsch. Given Rangnick's previous comments about difficulty in getting in coaches and needing to train the players brains I guess Armas was the last/only option.

Oh and Ensco - you should look up the convos about Ole's backroom staff. A lot of what you're saying now about Armas, people were saying about Ole's ex Cardiff and Molde coaches. United fans seem to be giving Rangnick the benefit of the doubt on Armas at the moment.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But this is an insult to our suffering!

(the truth at last!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

exactly. I think people are getting too hung up on his role, he will be one of several coaches that Rangnick will work with. People are talking like he's the only coach they will have. They are keeping some of the old coaches already there plus adding more. As you say, the ones he wants are already under contract, I'd imagine Armas contract will be until the end of this season only. Armas has worked within the confines of the Red Bull philosophy, Rangnick was the creator of that. Rangnick had Marsch as his assistant at leipzig, I'm sure he's well aware of what Armas can do. The funny thing is, can anyone without using google name Liverpool's or Man City's complete coaching staff. I think we, myself included, are getting too carried away because we know how bad a manager he was. The coaching will all be led by Rangnick, with coaches assisiting him. Utd themselves have had plenty of good coaches who dipped their toes into management over the years with not much success. The great dutch coach Utd had Rene Meulensteen, a quality coach, awful manager. I think people are mixing up the role of manager and coach here.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rsl declines option on ashtone morgan

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Agreed! Solid, dependable backup, good team guy, more than 150 appearances for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by los sonadores View Post
    I’d like to see him back. As well as playing when called upon, he would help with general sanity and the improved team culture we desperately need.
    He's exactly the right type of guy, more for him being a positive influence than for how often he'll play. Letting him go was a serious mistake.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such a solid consensus behind a player before... Especially for someone like Ashtone, who is definitely not a marquee player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But this is an insult to our suffering!

(the truth at last!)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such a solid consensus behind a player before... Especially for someone like Ashtone, who is definitely not a marquee player.
    He's a consistently good player. He doesn't offer much offensively which in the wingback era has probably cost him, but he's good at marking -- not great, but good -- very good on the tackle, decent crosser. He's like Dan Gargan, who also played well for us at the back: nothing splashy, no drama, few fuckups.

He just had a bad run at the end with us, with two injuries in a row, and no real chance to get back into the team once we had Justin Morrow. He played sporadically at best for Salt Lake but he always looked good doing so. I just think he's sort of an underappreciated pro, for what he offers.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah. So glad Manning/Curtis moved Ashtone so that we could give a Liverpool loan kid some minutes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/reportingmls/sta...18897547853826

kramaric would be an excellent signing for whoever can get him, imo.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leedsandTFC View Post
    https://twitter.com/reportingmls/sta...18897547853826

kramaric would be an excellent signing for whoever can get him, imo.
    Oooooh now this gets my juices flowing more than Insigne.

Also MLS makes sense for him.