Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Osorio scored Canada's first goal at the Azteca since 1980
    ... and Soteldo set up Venezuela's early goal. Brazil came back to beat them 3-1 but this was a smart run. He sees the space open up in the corner and shoots in there.

https://www.yardbarker.com/soccer/ar...15953_36080990

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie Laryea with a few good scoring chances and could have drawn a red card for Mexico under a different ref. Liam Fraser also has a nice header saved late in the match.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of USMNT twitter finally noticed last night that Canada is comfortable being a "sure we do CONCACAF shithousery, what's it to you" type of team & is not afraid of the Azteca. Been saying it for years - CCL is helping our NT.

Laryea is the most CONCACAFey player in all of MLS now - Jozy has passed on the crown.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Been saying it for years - CCL is helping our NT.
    completely agree. The atmosphere and conditions in Mexican and Central American stadiums is much different than the mls and other leagues. Them experiencing that year in, year out helps them tremendously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of USMNT twitter finally noticed last night that Canada is comfortable being a "sure we do CONCACAF shithousery, what's it to you" type of team & is not afraid of the Azteca. Been saying it for years - CCL is helping our NT.

Laryea is the most CONCACAFey player in all of MLS now - Jozy has passed on the crown.
    Yup. We had them going last night, which is a real accomplishment given they are the experts. Agree, that CCL experience was huge.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations to TFC for NOT being the first team eliminated from the playoffs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is pretty interesting. I just watched the NYRB-Miami highlights. NYRB won 1-0 Saturday night. Higuain had a goal called back by VAR, but the replay package didn’t show the replay… odd.

So I went looking for it. I couldn’t find video anywhere (still odder)… then, I did find this:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/a...254905397.html

VAR called this goal back?

This is worse than the shithousery in deepest Conmebol….
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    This is pretty interesting. I just watched the NYRB-Miami highlights. NYRB won 1-0 Saturday night. Higuain had a goal called back by VAR, but the replay package didn’t show the replay… odd.

So I went looking for it. I couldn’t find video anywhere (still odder)… then, I did find this:

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/a...254905397.html

VAR called this goal back?

This is worse than the shithousery in deepest Conmebol….
    He looks based on the cut of the grass and where their feet are to be maybe just offside. Lean of the body from the defender may be enough to keep him on.

It's a poor angle to judge by. Even being five or 10 degrees lateral to the position of the ball can render a yard between two guys non-existent.

Either way, too close to be definitive, so they wouldn't overrule it, not with that angle.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were two photos so it’s not a parallax effect. Cut of grass, whatever, he was even or better. This is a brutal look, worse that not giving that goal by us that was over the line a few weeks ago vs Miami
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There were two photos so it’s not a parallax effect. Cut of grass, whatever, he was even or better. This is a brutal look, worse that not giving that goal by us that was over the line a few weeks ago vs Miami
    I'd agree with you after looking at the second as well. The only thing perhaps in their favor is that Higuain has his arm stuck out into an offside position... which I don't think is supposed to count, I think it's supposed to be your feet or torso.

But even that second one is close enough that I can see them turning it down to save face. Again, the angle is ahead of the play. Neither camera shot is even with the play, and if the line judge WAS, they're not going to get overruled.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Credit to Neville for making a stink about it, after our disallowed goal Curtis called the league but rolled over quick.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo Starr View Post
    Credit to Neville for making a stink about it, after our disallowed goal Curtis called the league but rolled over quick.
    ^this… exactly this.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neville saying they are being singled out because they broke transfer rules is the backstory here. Miami is in deep crud for the next 2 years recruitment wise because of how they broke the rules & Neville is not happy.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the science guy weighs in

1 inch onside

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

… notice in the one inch inside pic that his arm is offside

Makes the mistake easier to explain when viewed at speed.

also, one inch ain’t going to get “clear and obvious” any time soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn’t he saying it was about 7 inches onside-1 inch less than his first model but that was 8 inches. Half a foot should be clear and obvious

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can’t make excuses for this. MLS has its head up its ass on these close ish calls where the answer is nevertheless obvious to a neutral. They need to get their act together.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We can’t make excuses for this. MLS has its head up its ass on these close ish calls where the answer is nevertheless obvious to a neutral. They need to get their act together.
    Let’s just call it what it is. The league under invested in officiating historically and they thought VAR was going to raise the quality enough to allow them to continue get away with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard to feel sympathy for Miami when they had a two goal swing against us, both of which were basic calls, let alone clear and obvious. But yea, MLS has some ‘splainjng to do. Offside isn’t supposed to be an issue of clear and obvious but yes / no with benefit of the doubt to the attackers

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the return of " benefit of the doubt to the attackers" is in the laws that are applying in seasons that started in August - MLS is operating under older laws due to the season starting in March.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This happened today & is going viral with the Rock tagging in & saying it should have been a red.

Last edited by OgtheDim; 10-23-2021 at 06:46 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s brutal.

PRO referees really botched a call in the USL championship earlier in the week. They ruled the following an offside rather than a goal and are going to replay the match from the time of the goal.

The rule states that a ball that goes into the net directly from a free kick results in a corner kick for the opposing team. The referees erronously applied that rule, disallowing the goal and instead giving Pittsburgh a corner kick. But since Miami's free kick had been put in play first, it should have remained an own goal.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/usl-cham...-disallow-goal

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogers saga apparently seeped into MLSE this summer before it gushed out this last week.

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...urces-say.html

(paywall)

I'm wondering if MLS has the same "governor decides" structure in place as the NBA & thus why Larry T has so much sway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rogers saga apparently seeped into MLSE this summer before it gushed out this last week.

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...urces-say.html

(paywall)

I'm wondering if MLS has the same "governor decides" structure in place as the NBA & thus why Larry T has so much sway.
    Interesting little tidbit in there that several Premier League teams tried to hire Masai.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of mess caused by Ed Rogers trying to have his own way at MLSE.

Toronto Sun: TELECOMIC-TRAGEDY: What does Edward Rogers fiasco mean for Toronto sports?.
    https://torontosun.com/sports/basket...toronto-sports

It seems like the best we can hope for as supporters is that Ed gets deposed from Rogers by his family.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Lots of mess caused by Ed Rogers trying to have his own way at MLSE.

Toronto Sun: TELECOMIC-TRAGEDY: What does Edward Rogers fiasco mean for Toronto sports?.
    https://torontosun.com/sports/basket...toronto-sports

It seems like the best we can hope for as supporters is that Ed gets deposed from Rogers by his family.
    Might not be the case though

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...pper-hand.html (paywall)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeh, the long term implications of having that guy running MLSE is not good - a bunch of syncophants beholden to one guy who is mercurial.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never met anyone involved in the saga… but I would be cautious about being prematurely sure with respect to who or what you are rooting for here. This feels like a story where important facts are not public, not yet anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great news, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Great news, in my opinion.

If they want to implement this in lower leagues for player development that's fine, otherwise I think being able to sub half your outfield players is a terrible idea.