Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marginally related to MLS through TSN. The new deal for LaLiga on ESPN also includes TSN, with TSN providing "comprehensive coverage". Looks like TSN still values soccer to a certain extent. Time to bring KJ back?
    https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...cross-the-u-s/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Marginally related to MLS through TSN. The new deal for LaLiga on ESPN also includes TSN, with TSN providing "comprehensive coverage". Looks like TSN still values soccer to a certain extent. Time to bring KJ back?
    https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-r...cross-the-u-s/
    TSN lost EPL and UEFA to DAZN. They’re not making the same mistake again.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anything ESPN gets, TSN gets as well - its negotiated as a tandem.

ESPN is in a big fight with CBS for soccer. CBS/Paramount is trying to get streaming rights to as much stuff as possible to corner the market.

That fight is one reason why MLS rights are likely to rise when it get negotiated soon.

Up here? Its nuanced. I can't see MLSE giving up MLS broadcast rights for TFC to a competitor. Streamed rights to non-Canadian games went to DAZN but they were never with TSN to begin with. And its not like TSN is wanting every single Montreal game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    TSN lost EPL and UEFA to DAZN. They’re not making the same mistake again.
    The interesting thing about the EPL is, while it’s not the highest rated programming in Canada, it does rate reasonably well and it’s scheduled at times that don’t collide with other high value stuff (NHL, curling, championship darts). So the amount of extra viewers you capture actually makes it a pretty worth while product.

I’m not sure how they will do with La Liga. The telecast quality isn’t always as great as what you see in England. But maybe a focus on the top of the table wins a few more people over? Watching Davies and Bayern on sportnet each week has been great.

And that aside it’s a travesty the UEFA games aren’t on cable. Like shameful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

ESPN is in a big fight with CBS for soccer. CBS/Paramount is trying to get streaming rights to as much stuff as possible to corner the market.
    Yeah, ESPN and CBS is battling it out. CBS recently won the Serie A rights from ESPN.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    The interesting thing about the EPL is, while it’s not the highest rated programming in Canada, it does rate reasonably well and it’s scheduled at times that don’t collide with other high value stuff (NHL, curling, championship darts). So the amount of extra viewers you capture actually makes it a pretty worth while product.
    For this mornings this weekend they have Sportscentre playing on 3 or 4 of the stations for most of the morning. Having LaLiga replace one or two of those would only provide incremental viewers and would likely create more lead in for some of the high value stuff you mentioned. Even if they just focus on Barca, Real, Atletico and other games get relegated to streaming only, it will be great to be able to see Messi live on TV and hopefully create more excitement for their other soccer coverage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I assume most of those La Liga games wind up on an ESPN version of DAZN or One Soccer.

The over the air market for Celta Vigo v Rayo Vallecano does not exist, and that is the type of matchup you get in about 250 of the 380 La Liga games

In fact, thinking about it, it's probably most every game that belongs in the DAZN type broadcast model. Only exception would be the Clasico’s and a few select others.
    Last edited by ensco; 05-14-2021 at 12:23 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I assume most of those La Liga games wind up on an ESPN version of DAZN or One Soccer.

The over the air market for Celta Vigo v Rayo Vallecano does not exist, and that is the type of matchup you get in about 250 of the 380 La Liga games

In fact, thinking about it, it's probably most every game that belongs in the DAZN type broadcast model. Only exception would be the Clasico’s and a few select others.
    Yeah, the release said all matches will be on ESPN+ with select matches on ESPN. I assume it'll only be matches from the big three shown on the main channel. Likely similar approach for TSN, with most games only available through streaming. They've done that a bit this season with NBA games when their five channels were full with other things.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is some food for thought, with the increase in the US price of TV rights to La Liga (ESPN, $ 175M/year), Serie A ( ESPN, $41M/year) without having good TV ratings there (~100K); calculating the future agreement for MLS would be $300-400M/ year, as it has a much larger audience, potentially anyways.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I for one would be happy to see Dazn expand and put on the pressure.

Who cares if UEFA ain't on cable. I ain't paying 100+ a month for your bullshit channels.

Dazn model all the the way.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The supporters got what they wanted, Back to being The Crew ... the new logo will remain for the most part with the triangle being replaced with 96.

Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 05-17-2021 at 09:48 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Wow. I didn’t understand what was happening at all.

I thought ownership cared about the name change way more than the new logo. I had it totally wrong.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought ownership cared about the name change way more than the new logo. I had it totally wrong.
    It's funny because the logo is shite.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like somebody finally figured out that part of the brand is the rowdy people at the end of the stadium.

Edit - The Athletic article indicates CBus also going back to yellow home & black away kits. Maybe the start of teams listening to their fans about where their kits are going. One of the biggest mistakes Joey has made in the recent Montreal rebrand is to get away from their distinctive blue & black stripes. Atlanta did the same thing making the 5 stripes thin within an all black kit. Our biggest faux pax ever seems to have been the blue shorts.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 05-18-2021 at 07:41 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Juuuuust when I thought Columbus was getting a little less embarrassing. Obviously a bit of a PR nightmare here not sure the club had any other option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RBNY and #USMNT defender Aaron Long ruptured his Achilles, will miss significant time. Achilles' injuries typically have 7-9 month recovery, meaning Long likely to miss rest of MLS season

wow thats brutal for him and a big loss for our sister team

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goodbye triangle , hello 96.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Goodbye triangle , hello 96.

It's still shit!
    TORONTO FC, 2017 MLS CHAMPIONS!!! (Still the greatest in league history!)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not going to see that tatoo'd on somebody's chest I bet.

They'll go back to the circle in 4-8 years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYCFC signs 18 year old Brazilian youth international Talles Magno from Vasco de Gama as a Young DP.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    NYCFC signs 18 year old Brazilian youth international Talles Magno from Vasco de Gama as a Young DP.
    MLS owners smell blood in the water. They know half the clubs in Argentina and Brazil are so old, decrepit and mired in debt that they can be a "bounce" league for young players to Europe and make some serious dollars down the line. Looks like the old adage about doing business in Brazil is out the window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I expect MLS teams to be picking the bones from South America pretty frequently now. I don't like that the football world has come to this, but covid only exasperated it - MLS is a guaranteed pay cheque and ridiculously financially stable. Only a few top level South American teams are on the same level in terms of financial stability

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erik Zaveleta to join El Salvador national team
    https://www.tfcrepublic.ca/eriq-zava...ador-concacaf/

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I kinda want one...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not MLS, but here's an insight into Tier 3 soccer (NISA/USL1)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah that's unreal how little they are paid. Couldn't believe he said they have to pay out of pocket for their own injuries too. That's terrible

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SUM & USSF parting ways

USMNT derived $ no longer creating MLS income

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^Not surprised as I never understood this from USSF perspective.

MLS probably have made more from this over the years than from MLS.