Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I have never met anyone involved in the saga… but I would be cautious about being prematurely sure with respect to who or what you are rooting for here. This feels like a story where important facts are not public, not yet anyway.
    Yeah, I have to agree. It feels like we have 2% of the facts but the narrative of “crusty heir tries to thwart beloved basketball executive and runs family company into the ground” is already being written.

And I’m totally inclined to believe and share everyone’s suspicions but we shouldn’t fool our selves into believing we know it all at this time

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm...good point.

Sports journos love 2 characters in this city

Beeston & Ujuri

Anybody who in any way threatens either of them would be facing some backlash - both....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have never met anyone involved in the saga… but I would be cautious about being prematurely sure with respect to who or what you are rooting for here. This feels like a story where important facts are not public, not yet anyway.
    The Toronto Star revelations that he was prepared to nix Masai's contract extension as a way to leverage concessions from the other owners to raise the Blue Jays valuation is a bit worrisome. Or, that's my read of it at least!

You might be right, but he better hire Navigator or something because he's looking pretty bad atm.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's been some discussion in the news the past few years about how Rogers doesn't feel that public markets are accurately valuing the Jays and Rogers has tried to find ways to surface that value. One challenge is that the Jays is wholey owned by Rogers, where as they only have 37.5% of MLSE. I believe the Jays hit the Media part of their income statement directly. So if the Jays ever had a bad year the results are shown there. In comparison MLSE doesn't directly show up on the income statements and instead shows up in their equity line items. I think this also allows them to smooth out the good and bad years and allows their Media division to be more accurately valued. A few article links below:
    https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2021/...ays-the-future
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rog...rong-1.4437534

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    There's been some discussion in the news the past few years about how Rogers doesn't feel that public markets are accurately valuing the Jays and Rogers has tried to find ways to surface that value. One challenge is that the Jays is wholey owned by Rogers, where as they only have 37.5% of MLSE. I believe the Jays hit the Media part of their income statement directly. So if the Jays ever had a bad year the results are shown there. In comparison MLSE doesn't directly show up on the income statements and instead shows up in their equity line items. I think this also allows them to smooth out the good and bad years and allows their Media division to be more accurately valued. A few article links below:
    https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2021/...ays-the-future
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rog...rong-1.4437534
    I mean, that’s a problem of their own doing. They’ve taken a trophy asset typically valued highest (ie vastly over paid for) by billionaires and stuffed it under a public company where the investor base looks at fundamentals.

Easy solution: sell it.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal narrowly defeated Forge to advance to the Canadian Championship final.
    It was a crazy end to the match, going to 11 rounds of penalties. Yes the Keepers took the final kicks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't watch the game but did watch the pens & how that assistant didn't flag the Forge keeper for jumping off his line I do not know. Like it or not, in the pens, Montreal deserved it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    If they want to implement this in lower leagues for player development that's fine, otherwise I think being able to sub half your outfield players is a terrible idea.
    I’m with you. It’s ruined rugby. Turns it into a contest of sprinters, not tactics skill and endurance - with some speed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Montreal narrowly defeated Forge to advance to the Canadian Championship final.
    It was a crazy end to the match, going to 11 rounds of penalties. Yes the Keepers took the final kicks.
    We better be prepared for Pacific FC. They are organized and well drilled. And will be hungry.

Olakunle Dada-Luke tore Edmonton to pieces last night playing RB but up very high and wide. Like Richie at his best. Except 6 ‘ tall and strong. Fraser Aird wasn’t defending his side but he was unplayable for the defender who was - and they were very organized and systematic about how they used him.
    Last edited by MightyDM; 10-27-2021 at 11:56 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    The Toronto Star revelations that he was prepared to nix Masai's contract extension as a way to leverage concessions from the other owners to raise the Blue Jays valuation is a bit worrisome. Or, that's my read of it at least!

You might be right, but he better hire Navigator or something because he's looking pretty bad atm.
    This part, it's particularly hard to know what to think.

First of all, most contract negotiations are bruising. Let's face it, Masai's deal is a rich one.

Secondly, we don’t understand how decisions/governance work at MLSE, it's always had massive potential for strife like this. People seek leverage all the time. That doesn’t all belong to Edward Rogers.

Thirdly, there has been a pretty overt playing of the “old white guy” accusation by one side here.

Masai may not be being treated respectfully here, not sure yet, and not sure by whom yet. That part definitely bums me out a lot.

This whole episode is squalid and depressing.
    Last edited by ensco; 10-28-2021 at 01:46 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This part, it's particularly hard to know what to think.

First of all, most contract negotiations are bruising. Let's face it, Masai's deal is a rich one.

Secondly, we don’t understand how decisions/governance work at MLSE, it's always had massive potential for strife like this. People seek leverage all the time. That doesn’t all belong to Edward Rogers.

Thirdly, there has been a pretty overt playing of the “old white guy” accusation by one side here.

Masai may not be being treated respectfully here, not sure yet, and not sure by whom yet. That part definitely bums me out a lot.

This whole episode is squalid and depressing.
    Yeah, it is. The one guy in all of MLSE who objectively has gotten the results to justify a huge contract is Masai. Ed calling him up and telling him he's not worth it is amazing. Even in a situation where you want to play hardball. Then again, I'm really sick of this government protected behemoth that is Rogers (I cut all my Rogers services last year), and am willing to believe anything bad about them at face value!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I’m with you. It’s ruined rugby. Turns it into a contest of sprinters, not tactics skill and endurance - with some speed.
    That's not the only change that has ruined rugby but we digress, I agree though it is now a game entirely played by inside centres :-).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CorrwgBach View Post
    That's not the only change that has ruined rugby but we digress, I agree though it is now a game entirely played by inside centres :-).
    EXACTLY. And speaking as a former inside centre, it’s no good.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just saw that CF Montreal parted ways with CEO and president Kevin Gilmore today. why would they do this today and not wait until at least Sunday when their season is potentially over..and still have finals for Can Champ to compete. Anyone hear anything?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 613reppingTFC View Post
    just saw that CF Montreal parted ways with CEO and president Kevin Gilmore today. why would they do this today and not wait until at least Sunday when their season is potentially over..and still have finals for Can Champ to compete. Anyone hear anything?
    When you're owned by Joey Saputo, anything can happen, and usually does.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forge FC won 3-0 in their Concacaf League QF. THey advance to the Champions League next year. There will be two Canadian teams in the CCL next year now

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats to Forge on getting the chance to be destroyed 8-0 on aggregate to a Mexican team in February.
    Last edited by MikeForbes; 11-02-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if Bob Bradley has already agreed terms with us. They said during the Van-LAFC game that his deal expires in a month. You'd think if he was staying they'd have worked a new one out already.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    I'm wondering if Bob Bradley has already agreed terms with us. They said during the Van-LAFC game that his deal expires in a month. You'd think if he was staying they'd have worked a new one out already.
    Hmm very interesting.

I suppose I should be excited about the prospect, but I'm just not.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kinda like Conte @ Spurs....ok yes but the last year has been such a weird time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta hand it to Vancouver, they've managed to turn their season around after the Canadian Championship debacle. Who would have thought a coaching change could make such a difference?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Initial B View Post
    Gotta hand it to Vancouver, they've managed to turn their season around after the Canadian Championship debacle. Who would have thought a coaching change could make such a difference?
    Ryan Gauld, the playmaker they've not had for quite a while, has been a revelation.
    This is also despite Cavallini not being good, but Brian White, which they got for scraps in a trade, has been on absolute fire scoring goals.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    Ryan Gauld, the playmaker they've not had for quite a while, has been a revelation.
    This is also despite Cavallini not being good, but Brian White, which they got for scraps in a trade, has been on absolute fire scoring goals.
    Yeah, talk about an absolutely upside down scenario. Cavallini has never been a prolific scorer and Vancouver absolutely overpaid, but I’m surprised how bad he’s been and how good White has been.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cavallini was given that DP contract partly because he was decent in Mexico and mostly because of his nationality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Hmm very interesting.

Oli Platt was saying he is a target on OneSoccer yesterday. I'm meh about it too, he's underwhelmed at LAFC since winning the shield is the consensus isn't it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    Hmm very interesting.

It's not inspiring but he'll be good.

Yeah, exactly like Conte.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bob Bradley isn’t just looking for a job.

I believe in the scenario where Bob Bradley comes, Bob replaces Curtis and Michael becomes the manager.

(Possible variation: Bob replaces Manning and hires his own Curtis.)
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Variation

Manning kicked up a bit but retains Pres position
    BBradly brought in as VP overseeing GM & other duties
    Bradley manager for 1 year while overseeing long term managerial search

(I have serious doubts about Michael B as manager right out of the gate)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have bigger doubts about Michael Bradley actually retiring.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why would MLSE can Manning for Bradley? What Exactly did Manning do to warrant dismissal?

2016 - MLS Cup Final
    2017 - MLS Cup Final
    2018 - CL Final
    2019 - MLS Cup Final
    2020 - 2nd overall
    2020 - Shit

One shit season? You think MLSE will can him because of 1 shit season?

Fucking hell.