Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Athletic article (paywalled) why MLS teams are not doing as much off season roster changes yet

https://theathletic.com/2430503/2021...shared_article

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TFC officially heading to Florida. They will train in Orlando and potentially play in both Orlando and Tampa.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2021/0...season-florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good piece on how having old forwards who can't press is weighing down Juventus and Barcelona.

On a local scale, I wonder how much of an issue trying to man a front press with Altidore, Bradley and Pozuelo is going to be. Two of them never press now, or haven't traditionally, and the third looked last year like his speed was shot.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ntus-barcelona

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m really curious how you get Bradley to fit in midfield. It seems like an odd-ball task if you have Osorio-Delgado on the roster already plus Pozuelo who likely plays as some sort of #10.

I think one of Osorio (but least likely Osorio), Bradley, and Delgado has to be held back each game.

Without speed in some of these FW positions in the 4-2-3-1 it’s hard to picture the press working.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I’m really curious how you get Bradley to fit in midfield. It seems like an odd-ball task if you have Osorio-Delgado on the roster already plus Pozuelo who likely plays as some sort of #10.

I think one of Osorio (but least likely Osorio), Bradley, and Delgado has to be held back each game.

Without speed in some of these FW positions in the 4-2-3-1 it’s hard to picture the press working.
    The onyl way to fit them all is to play a 3-5-1-1, effectively, with high wingbacks. But that's too easily broken with fast wingers on the other team to be used to press high.

I don't know the answer. I see the same issue. Pozuelo isn't a striker. He defends okay for an offensive player, tracks back at least. But a Bradley-Osorio midfield behind him, assuming they play him as an inverted wing-forward, with a young guy on the other side, is too slow to press anyone.

How long is Jozy going to be Mr. High Pressure for? I love the dude's skillsets but he has that arrogant self-belief that he can read flow and pace of the game so well that he can "conserve" energy by walking off the ball, and he's usually proven wrong at least once per game already. Imagine that shit with a press.

Then there's the fact that our winger are pretty much small, speedy, technical guys. They're not defenders. I mean, I guess they're going to have to learn quickly...

It all doesn't bode well, logically.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, roster is now unbalanced for how we want to play which sort of makes our lack of moves even more suspect.

I’m also entirely unsure of our quality out wide. Baring a quantum leap forward by one of the young guys, moving Laryea up top, (or improbable events like Gallardo looking useful), I just don’t see our counter attack striking fear into anybody.

Basically there is one sequence where it works: someone turns the ball over in midfield and it’s Pozuelo with the direct ball to the striker in behind.. that’s it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats why I think Marky might be traded

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    The onyl way to fit them all is to play a 3-5-1-1, effectively, with high wingbacks. But that's too easily broken with fast wingers on the other team to be used to press high.

I don't know the answer. I see the same issue. Pozuelo isn't a striker. He defends okay for an offensive player, tracks back at least. But a Bradley-Osorio midfield behind him, assuming they play him as an inverted wing-forward, with a young guy on the other side, is too slow to press anyone.

How long is Jozy going to be Mr. High Pressure for? I love the dude's skillsets but he has that arrogant self-belief that he can read flow and pace of the game so well that he can "conserve" energy by walking off the ball, and he's usually proven wrong at least once per game already. Imagine that shit with a press.

Then there's the fact that our winger are pretty much small, speedy, technical guys. They're not defenders. I mean, I guess they're going to have to learn quickly...

It all doesn't bode well, logically.
    we have a very talented roster, but not for the high press. i think it is that simple - and that hard to understand as well.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montreal hires a new manager - from within. Good for them.v Wilfried Nancy

They will play in Miami at first.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has MLS released a schedule yet? If they are doing an unbalanced schedule again it would be interesting to play a cluster of games in Florida against Montreal, Orlando and Miami.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Congratulations to Forge, the 2020 Canadian Champions

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kloke indicating the team hasn't practiced for 3 days now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by ensco; 03-08-2021 at 09:56 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree it's not perfect but I think with rotation (and that should include Fraser, Priso, and Okello) this shouldn't be a problem because the days of a starter playing every minute of every game in the midfield should be over. If you play with pace you need rest and at this point quantity is on our side at that position.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW - will know soon where we start the season

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll predict we start against one of the teams in Florida. Gonna say Inter Miami.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    I'll predict we start against one of the teams in Florida. Gonna say Inter Miami.
    Or the other Florida team, Montreal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Opening the season against Montreal in their 'home' opener. And then hosting Vancouver. Which begs the question why we just couldn't play these teams in Canada before heading down south.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No TFC players on the U-23 qualifying roster. Also several other notable absences from other clubs.

Maybe that’s just the reality of the positive tests and the world we live in but it’s too bad. We have a much better player pool than in years past and it would be nice to see some of these guys play.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vancouver hosting Portland in Salt Lake - a coastal team starting the season at Altitude

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coach Mauro Biello said TFC players would likely have missed first 2 games of qualifier. #TFCLive
    if that is the case,i doubt we play the forge on the 20th

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow...the local media are really on top of this TFC covid story,it would nice to get a update once in while.can you imagine if this was the leafs,jays,raps.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    wow...the local media are really on top of this TFC covid story,it would nice to get a update once in while.can you imagine if this was the leafs,jays,raps.
    If you look at the match thread, it looks like the match with Forge has been cancelled for now, with TFC getting the CCL spot.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all - the Raps thing was all lowkey and nobody pried too much.

Secondly, WHY DO YOU CARE?

Seriously, let the people and their families go through all this stuff - they'll let us know what we need to know afterwards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because its the team i support and i wanna know how they are doing,i dont need names.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crickets

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Also of note in Neil's article, interesting that the Reds home leg vs Leon will be played at Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, where Orlando City's USL team used to play. Plus being in Florida as mentioned may give the Reds to get vaccinated as a team quicker.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!