Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Positively Pozuelo

So we have numerous news reports, and Manning himself saying it here. I think that this constitutes confirmation (but not white smoke just yet).

https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...zuelos-arrival

Figured I'd put this here and let the in season thread focus on who will play wing with Pozo, etc

Injury watch: Pozo apparently looked good yesterday, and didn't get hurt. Two games to go.

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nieu...de-basis-staat

Philippe Clement knows very well what he is doing when he leaves Alejandro Pozuelo in the base. The Spaniard, liberated from worries, played football in Charleroi - especially the first half - back to its former level. His teammates therefore have no problems with it.

Sebastien Dewaest shrugged when he was asked that it was not strange that Clement set up a player who would take his suitcases within two weeks. "The most important thing is that the boy gives 200 percent, which he showed today and at that moment there is no problem for us", said the tough defender.

But within two matches it is done anyway. "Yes, Pozo is a great player, and as long as we have him, we have to take advantage of it, I think, and after that, we have two weeks after the regular competition to try a different system or game."

"That's up to the trainer, but I'm sure that the other players will take their chance when they get it, but it will not be easy, no, together with Vanaken, Pozo is the best player in this competition."
    Last edited by ensco; 03-03-2019 at 02:45 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interview with Genk Chairman... a good summary of the transfersoap

Chairman Croonen after the turbulent weeks at Racing Genk: "Disappointed in Pozuelo, but I do not want to make him a scapegoat"

https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal/bel...TIVATE#paywall

It has been debilitating weeks for Peter Croonen (50). The chairman of Racing Genk speaks for the first time about the negotiations with Toronto about the transfer of Alejandro Pozuelo. "If we had played it legally really hard, I think he just stayed. The question is what we won. "
    January 6, 2019. Slumped into a lounge chair on the terrace of the Melia Villaitana hotel in Benidorm Peter Croonen enjoys a cappuccino. Nothing but good vibes around Racing Genk. A month and a half later, the atmosphere around his club has changed. After the revelations around Peter Maes, Genk is mentioned in the 'Clean Hands' study, the European adventure is over and Alejandro Pozuelo, the beating heart of the team, leaves just before the playoffs.

Mr President, remember our conversation in Benidorm at the beginning of January. Literally a day later the tent was on fire because Pozuelo was courted by Al-Ahli from Saudi Arabia.

Croonen: "That was a big surprise for us. Just before that we had talked with 'Pozo' about breaking open his contract, for us there was no dirt in the air. The next morning his brokers appeared in the hotel. We assumed that they wanted to talk about deleting that step-up clause until the end of the season, because the talks about it had been going on for a while. Suddenly it appears that they have a totally different message. "A club from the Middle East wants Alejandro." That was just a swallow, but the Middle East is not so obvious to go to as a family. We were relieved that after a few days that situation was under control. "

A press conference will follow on 16 January.

"Yes, with the report that Pozuelo will remain in Genk until the end of the season. At that time, there was an agreement between all parties to cancel that 8 million clause until the end of the season. At the moment Pozuelo has to sign his new contract, he does not show up. January 30 we get the message that Toronto wants to make an offer on Pozuelo. Toronto came up between the moment we agreed with Pozuelo and his entourage and the moment he would actually put his signature. "

And you have turned away from Toronto right away?

"That bid came to us through a board member of the MLS. Because it is a designated player, it is not the club itself but the MLS that makes that bid. We immediately announced that we had an agreement with Pozuelo that he would stay with us until the end of the season. "

After which the entourage of Pozuelo lets you know that this clause has not been deleted at all?

"Then the legal discussion started. About the agreement by mail from the Pozuelo agents, Pozo's oral agreement and the interpretation of that clause. I think we had a strong case legally, but certainties do not exist about that kind of thing. We did our best to persuade Pozuelo to stay, but that was no longer possible at any given time. That started to weigh on the group. Sport was no longer desirable to wait any longer and that coincided with an intensification of the talks with Toronto. "

"In the end, Dimitri went to America, the chairman of Toronto, Bill Manning, and the general director, Ali Curtis, came here. They explained why they wanted him immediately, we explained why an immediate departure was absolutely impossible. Then you are looking for a win-win situation, but for us this certainly was not the hoped-for outcome. We have tried to keep Pozuelo here, but we did not succeed. The financial perk (Genk gets 2 million on top of the 8 million entry clause, Ed.) Certainly does not feel like a victory. "

Did you personally confront him with his words from that press conference, in which he clearly states that he wants to stay until the end of the season?

"There have been a lot of conversations. I have been face to face with him once, Dimitri de Condé and Philippe Clement have talked to him numerous times. But 'Pozo' was convinced he was right because he did not put that signature. If we had really played it legally hard I think he just stayed, but the question is what we won. We are convinced that we would then have caused unrest in the locker room and that Pozuelo would not have been selectable for an indefinite period, as he already had his head in Toronto. It would also be constant about Pozuelo, which is not fair to the rest of the group. "

He has played it hard, do you understand that for something?

"Toronto is a beautiful city and it is a nice contract. But I had hoped that our club perspective had lived a little more with him. What I have a problem with is that his brokers have not blocked Toronto. They knew perfectly well that those mails meant the same to FIFA as a signed agreement. They should have said, 'Pozo, here it stops'. That is where the real problem came about. "

Pozuelo now probably remains until March 18, the end of the regular competition. Do you think he will give everything in those three remaining matches?

"I'm convinced of that. I hope the fans want to give him that chance too. We have nothing to gain by destabilizing him and making him a scapegoat. If the coach decides to compose him, then I am sure he will want to play three very good matches for us. He will not leave via the big gate, nor will he pass a back door. "

Are you not too romantic now? In his place I would just play to not injure myself.

"Insurance is possible for that. The insurance will cover what he could have earned at Toronto if he seriously injured himself. "

Are you disillusioned in Pozuelo man?

(Think long after) "Yes. I am disillusioned. I missed the willingness to step into the club's perspective, certainly. I have sympathy for the Pozuelo I have known here. I am a big fan of the football player Pozuelo. And I know that he was happy here too. It is a special type of footballer. You must have a trainer who is willing to put him first on the sheet. If you do that, you get a lot back, if you do not, then the question is how he will render. Pozuelo will not be as important to any trainer, in every team and in any competition as he has been to us. "

How did the group deal with this?

"Initially very mature, for them that was a problem between player and club. But the reality is that Pozuelo constantly says: 'I do not play, because the club is not fair to me, I want to get out of here, I do not train, I'm in pain, I have this, I have that, ...' As on training nobody wants to be in a team with Pozuelo because he does not go full, then it's over. Look, those guys are working on a top season, but when they get to the bakery the only question is 'how is Pozuelo'? That's just not okay. "

Have players come to complain to you?

"The group of players has asked for clarity and we have now been able to create that."

Do you regret that clause?

"When that clause was included in the contract, it was one of the arguments to keep him in Genk longer, because he also wanted to leave at that moment. The time that he stayed here, it has also been absolutely worth eight million and we also found little money for a 27-year-old player. The only thing we have learned is that such clauses may only apply during our mercato's. These periods must be specifically delineated. An entry clause may only apply to me for the first two weeks of a mercato, so that we also have the time to find a replacement. That is a mistake that we have made as a club and where we have to learn from. Incidentally, this also shows that all those different mercatos have to be better coordinated. "

How has Philippe Clement dealt with this?

"This has been very difficult for him. The internship was over, the tactics were largely set up with Pozuelo and now it will have to be done without him. But I told him that we could have lost him due to an injury, then we could not replace him either. This is an annoying part of modern football. "

Did this saga cost you points?

"It certainly will not have helped. You can lose on Bruges, also with the best Pozuelo. And as far as Slavia is concerned, I found them better over two matches. We are in a lesser period. Not only Pozuelo, but also other boys are looking for their best form. "

Does his departure suspect the title chances of Racing Genk?

"No, KRC Genk is more than Pozuelo alone, but I find it very sour for the boys who have stayed and for whom Pozuelo is very important in the ensemble. The way Pozuelo fulfills his role is unique. I feel that the group wants to prove that it is possible without Pozo. And we hope to recuperate Berge in the short term. He too can make other boys play better. I am also convinced that no team will roll through the playoffs, so hopefully we have a serious lead at the start of the playoffs. "

(article continues on other topics....)
    Last edited by ensco; 03-03-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    "Yes, with the report that Pozuelo will remain in Genk until the end of the season. At that time, there was an agreement between all parties to cancel that 8 million clause until the end of the season. At the moment Pozuelo has to sign his new contract, he does not show up. January 30 we get the message that Toronto wants to make an offer on Pozuelo. Toronto came up between the moment we agreed with Pozuelo and his entourage and the moment he would actually put his signature. "
    That's the same day we sold Giovinco.

Shows how management must have had their eyes on Pozuelo for a while. Hopefully for good reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this Ensco, fantastic summation of the events surrounding Pozuelo's seemingly imminent transfer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by notthesun View Post
    That's the same day we sold Giovinco.

Shows how management must have had their eyes on Pozuelo for a while. Hopefully for good reason.
    Hmmm. It doesn't show that to me. If anything it could mean that they moved for him in a panic - you'd think they would have been having conversations with Pozo and Genk during the Saudi Pozo transfersoap (Jan 10-15) and/or the Gio transfersoap (Jan 15-30).

Croonen implies (but doesn't actually say) that the first he heard from MLS was Jan 30.
    Last edited by ensco; 03-03-2019 at 04:33 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm. It doesn't show that to me. If anything it could mean that they moved for him in a panic - you'd think they would have been having conversations with Pozo and Genk during the Saudi Pozo transfersoap (Jan 10-15) and/or the Gio transfersoap (Jan 15-30).

Croonen implies (but doesn't actually say) that the first he heard from MLS was Jan 30.
    This.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red4ever View Post
    This.
    All the Belgian player of the years have been on TFC’s radar forever. VV was supposed to be our DP when Seba happened. The contact may have been a panic but there’s little doubt he was on the radar as our next DP. Same goes for backup choice Hanni.

Also, we need to stop posting Dutch football tabloids.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There must have been TFC contact with Pozo's camp prior to the 30th otherwise he likely would have signed his no movement agreement. We would have also checked in to make sure it was a move he was willing to commit to. Sucks for Genk but glad our management is getting us the piece we need.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference between moving quickly and "panic" is how much preparation went into picking the player to go for. I am satisfied that this is a good choice & that the timing had to be quick. It looks like the agent did his job by realising before the document was signed that TFC might have an interest if Seba moved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's for the official offer from the league though. I seriously doubt we hadn't spoken with Pozuelo's agent at all before that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's actually going to be very interesting how we use Poz, given that, if we make it to the playoffs, he will have effectively played more than a season-and-a-half without an off-season.

We're going to have to employ some kind of Kawhi Leonard-style minutes-management to make sure he doesn't burn out or get injured.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's for the official offer from the league though. I seriously doubt we hadn't spoken with Pozuelo's agent at all before that.
    Yep.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you guys are right about this, upon reflection. They were probably talking to the agent before Jan 30.

I think deciding to “surprise” the team by waiting until the very end is the interesting part anyway. I have talked that part to death already, will leave it alone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's official. he'll be joining March 18.

https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2019/0...nated-player/1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHITE SMOKE

Habemus Pozo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHITE SMOKE

Habemus Pozo
    Can we rename the thread to that

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WHITE SMOKE

Habemus Pozo
    Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Can we rename the thread to that
    Lol. Love the humour.

Ok. Let's be honest. Pozo is here for the $$$. He's not only about the cash, he won't do Saudi or China, but if a Liga MX side ponies up the cash, we could lose him just as fast as Giovinco.

So let's enjoy him while he's here, but developing key academy players and searching for future foreign prospects needs to be the ongoing focus.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^There is no question about this. This is about money for all involved. Plus Pozo is only 27, he might well do Saudi or China as his last move, as Vazquez and Gio both did.

Part of Manning's sales pitch to his bosses has to be that there is a chance they can re-sell the player at a meaningful number (maybe not 10M but perhaps 5M or something, I mean look at LAG getting $3.5M for Kamara). If you sold Pozo after 3 years for $5M, he would have only cost $18M total or something, not the full $30M they have committed for.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Lol. Love the humour.
    I don't get it? White Smoke? is that a Spanish or Belgian football thing I just don't get because I don't watch Euro Leagues?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a Catholic thing Kaz. It is how they announce that a new Pope has been chosen by the Cardinals. Black smoke...no decision...white smoke...we have new Pope.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on our lineup as it's currently constructed, I'm hoping that Pozuelo's vision and creativity on the pitch will be just what the doctor ordered.

We really needed a maestro and it looks like we've found one who's in his prime.

RPB Member
    Section 112 and Cardinal, Ontario...Yeah, Baby!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy and Pozy...going to be great!
    O, Maple Leaf around the world, You speak as you rise high above,
    Of courage, peace and quiet strength, Of the Canada that I love.
    Remind us all, our union bound by ties we cannot sever,
    Bright flag revered on every ground, The Maple Leaf forever

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    It's a Catholic thing Kaz. It is how they announce that a new Pope has been chosen by the Cardinals. Black smoke...no decision...white smoke...we have new Pope.
    When the Pope dies, the College of Cardinals meet behind closed doors to choose a new Pope. Often for days... it’s an ancient tradition to let people know if they are still meeting (black smoke) or if they are done (white smoke). Big crowds, thousands, gather in the streets to watch the smoke colour.

When they are done, a Senior Cardinal announces to the thousands from the balcony of St Peters: Habemus Papam! (We have a Pope, in Latin)
    Last edited by ensco; 03-04-2019 at 03:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton_Red View Post
    I know how they select a new pope... so it makes sense now... of course this being about football, a Spanish player, in a Belgian league coming to Canada my WASP brain literally did not put that together until you pointed it out as it makes literally no sense. Victor was a great player for us but his replacement isn't really "pope" level. If you gave me 30 guesses I don't know I would have got that without hints.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on the two games we watched against Slavia (especially the first one).... Pozo does something often that I really think will work for Altidore, which is different than what VV or Seba did.

He looks to split CBs with perfectly weighted grasscutting long balls, and tries it a lot. Reminded me of Luka Modric. Even when it doesn't work, it scares the crap out of defenders, and the mere threat of it creates space wide and pins defenders deep.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must confess I’d never heard of this guy and his numbers are dreadful for a striker. 20 goals in 167 senior appearances with four different clubs doesn’t exactly fill you with confidence. This is no direct substitute for Giovinco no matter how much the front office labels him as a maestro.

Time will tell, and he might perhaps prove to be an adequate replacement for Vazquez, but he does not fill the gaping hole left by Seba’s departure. If only we’d renegotiated Giovinco’s contract immediately after our MLS Cup triumph, he’d still be with us imho. Instead the front office let the situation drag on and on and on. It’s clear in retrospect MLSE never had any intention of renewing Seba’s contract from the beginning.

Still, no use crying over spilt milk and if MLSE think the spending is over they’re in for a shock. The gaping hole left by Giovinco’s departure STILL needs to be filled. Hamilton is not a starter in MLS for me. TFCII maybe, fringe first team sub, perhaps, but he’s not someone we can rely on to get us goals on a regular basis. Bakero is pretty much the same, and would be nowhere near the 1st team if I was in charge. Altidore is continually struggling with injuries and we better pray he gets fir soon and stays that way, his near 50% scoring rate will be sorely needed this season. Boyd has done nothing since 2014. 5 goals in 42 games over twoseason for Darmstadt is hardy the numbers of a top class striker and indeed it can be argued that only his spell with Rapid Vienna when he netted 28 in 59 appearance over two seasons being his career high point. He doesn’t inspire confidence that he will come close to the contribution Giovinco made to our club. If Ali Curtis thinks he’s “the answer” to where we’re heading, then I think we need to change direction.

MLSE need to stop pissing about with sub-par signings and replace Séba properly or we looking at a return to the dark days of 2015 and earlier

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by General Woolfe View Post
    I must confess I’d never heard of this guy and his numbers are dreadful for a striker.
    He's not a striker, he's a top-notch midfielder, who provides a bit of secondary scoring via long shots or overlapping runs, to keep the opposing defence stretched and guessing. TFC won't have two strikers anymore. It's Altidore, plus two wingers who will also be expected to score. There will be no like-for-like replacement of Seba.

Personally I think lots of things haven't gone as well as they could have, but I don't think we need to worry about Pozuelo. Have you watched some of his highlights or games? It's worth your time. Folks are saying he's currently the 2nd-best player in the Belgian league.

Personally I don't think we have enough cover for Altidore if he is injured / needs a break / is playing for the USMNT. We shall see.
    Last edited by Auzzy; 03-04-2019 at 10:54 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People need to stop thinking the team is some plug and play system where you have to directly replace any parts that are gone. It's a new system, with new players, and a new focal point. Fact is that if your team depended on one guy for everything, no matter how great that player was, your team wasn't great and could be defended against easier because you shut that guy down and the offense sputters. Now hopefully Pozo can one up VV and make the players around him that much better just like VV definitely did with Osorio.

My hope isn't to have one guy have to be responsible for 1/3 of our output anymore. Not every team has a Giovinco and some manage to be consistently successful with a decent cast of players all pitching in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    People need to stop thinking the team is some plug and play system where you have to directly replace any parts that are gone. It's a new system, with new players, and a new focal point. Fact is that if your team depended on one guy for everything, no matter how great that player was, your team wasn't great and could be defended against easier because you shut that guy down and the offense sputters. Now hopefully Pozo can one up VV and make the players around him that much better just like VV definitely did with Osorio.

My hope isn't to have one guy have to be responsible for 1/3 of our output anymore. Not every team has a Giovinco and some manage to be consistently successful with a decent cast of players all pitching in.
    +1 +1