Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t know about Conway, good or bad, but I think coaching GKs at this level can't be about fundamentals.

Westberg was a career Ligue 2 lifer in France. He is what he is, average at best in MLS. He stopped that PK in Atlanta which means free beers for life in TO, no question, but that's about it.

Bono, in my opinion, is kind of a tragedy. He was really on his way but has seemingly never been the same since he allowed a brutal goal in the 2018 CCL final. I think it got in his head, which makes me feel bad for him. GKs have to learn how to put howlers behind them and keep the confidence of the team, and he hasn't done that (to my eye).

There have been glimpses of the old Bono here and there (that game in Chicago this year) but I fear he is another Frei, someone who needs a restart elsewhere to find his form. I think he should move on and I would wish him the very best (but please, god, don't come back and haunt us like Frei did in the 2016 final!)
    Last edited by ensco; 11-09-2021 at 06:33 AM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So Pro admitted they blew a call in the RSL/SKC game that allowed RSL to win & took out LAG.

League will do something in this case because it screwed the Gals. Normally nobody seems to care when PRO screws up like this on a weekly basis. They just fine managers for speaking up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...es-anyone-care

Simmons giving MLSE the gears for the Argos' poor crowds.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That piece should be titled

"Season ticket holder begins to have thoughts about ownership of his team & what they are doing during covid crisis that didn't effect him much beyond not being able to go to Canadian Tire for a few months but probably messed up his annual trip to see his buds in Florida (insert Sun mandated - "Damn you Trudeau" line)"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don’t know about Conway, good or bad, but I think coaching GKs at this level can't be about fundamentals.

Westberg was a career Ligue 2 lifer in France. He is what he is, average at best in MLS. He stopped that PK in Atlanta which means free beers for life in TO, no question, but that's about it.

Bono, in my opinion, is kind of a tragedy. He was really on his way but has seemingly never been the same since he allowed a brutal goal in the 2018 CCL final. I think it got in his head, which makes me feel bad for him. GKs have to learn how to put howlers behind them and keep the confidence of the team, and he hasn't done that (to my eye).

There have been glimpses of the old Bono here and there (that game in Chicago this year) but I fear he is another Frei, someone who needs a restart elsewhere to find his form. I think he should move on and I would wish him the very best (but please, god, don't come back and haunt us like Frei did in the 2016 final!)
    Alan Davies, the English comedian, is a big Arsenal fan and does a podcast. He was talking about their established starter struggling, leading to Ramsay getting his chance, and said "he's a great shot stopper... but who at this level isn't? The difference is the consistency."

And that's basically it with Bono. He can't make consistently smart decisions.

I've also speculated he seems to have field of vision problems, if only because he seems to react late to long shots but quickly to those close in, and he has a tendency not to spot danger players lurking. But his big issue is that he makes bad decisions. He has all the physical tools and when it's just close-up shot stopping, we saw what he can do in Chicago.

In 2017, he rarely faced a lot of shots. So it hid his poor decision making. Ever since then, he's had tragic mistakes every time he's had a chance to be the starter.

I'd say the same is true of Omar: he's a specimen as an athlete, but his decision making and vision for danger men, particularly slipping behind him, is just atrocious. Mavinga makes much better decisions but still cocks one or two up or is positionally too aggresive, which was the knock against him before he got to us.

I don't think any team in this league lacks one or two of those guys but we have a bunch of them starting. Mark Delgado is another; he's a great player but a) he lets shit get to him; he spends half a match muttering rather than keeping his head and moving on and b) some games -- whether mood or other issues or what -- he's very, very slopping with his passing... which is just death for a number eight (and his team).
    Last edited by jloome; 11-11-2021 at 01:16 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Alan Davies, the English comedian, is a big Arsenal fan and does a podcast. He was talking about their established starter struggling, leading to Ramsay getting his chance, and said "he's a great shot stopper... but who at this level isn't? The difference is the consistency."

And that's basically it with Bono. He can't make consistently smart decisions.

I've also speculated he seems to have field of vision problems, if only because he seems to react late to long shots but quickly to those close in, and he has a tendency not to spot danger players lurking. But his big issue is that he makes bad decisions. He has all the physical tools and when it's just close-up shot stopping, we saw what he can do in Chicago.

In 2017, he rarely faced a lot of shots. So it hid his poor decision making. Ever since then, he's had tragic mistakes every time he's had a chance to be the starter.

I'd say the same is true of Omar: he's a specimen as an athlete, but his decision making and vision for danger men, particularly slipping behind him, is just atrocious. Mavinga makes much better decisions but still cocks one or two up or is positionally too aggresive, which was the knock against him before he got to us.

I don't think any team in this league lacks one or two of those guys but we have a bunch of them starting. Mark Delgado is another; he's a great player but a) he lets shit get to him; he spends half a match muttering rather than keeping his head and moving on and b) some games -- whether mood or other issues or what -- he's very, very slopping with his passing... which is just death for a number eight (and his team).
    Totally agree with all your points here. I think for what we want to return to that we should cut these players loose based on not only performance but their respective costs. In a league with our low cap we can do better for less at each position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Toronto FC II RB Kobe Franklin was named to the USL League1 League All-Star First-Team. He is also a finalist for the USL1 Defender of the Year Award and a finalist for the USL1 Young Player of the Year Award. I've said it earlier, but I fully expect him to get a first team deal this offseason, especially with Morrow retiring and Laryea possibly heading to Europe.
    Last edited by rydermike; 11-11-2021 at 03:02 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently, Phil Neville — who declined ten contract options at Miami yesterday — has promoted his son Harvey to the first team from USL-1.

Keeping in mind that Miami also has a USL-C team, there’s the fact that anyone who watched Fort Lauderdale play would be startlingly aware of how far off the pace of MLS Harvey Neville is.

Yikes.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently, Phil Neville — who declined ten contract options at Miami yesterday — has promoted his son Harvey to the first team from USL-1.

Keeping in mind that Miami also has a USL-C team, there’s the fact that anyone who watched Fort Lauderdale play would be startlingly aware of how far off the pace of MLS Harvey Neville is.

Yikes.
    Not a good look.

For all the excessive grief people gave Zavs for being related to Vanney, nobody could ever dispute that he was MLS quality.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Not a good look.

For all the excessive grief people gave Zavs for being related to Vanney, nobody could ever dispute that he was MLS quality.
    What Neville has done is shocking.

I always thought Vanney probably had a bit of a blind spot there but to be fair to Zavs, he has earned his playing time at the club.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    What Neville has done is shocking.

I always thought Vanney probably had a bit of a blind spot there but to be fair to Zavs, he has earned his playing time at the club.
    A day before this announcement they let go Paul Dalglish, a perenially successful coach who got their USL-C team into the playoffs. I can't help wonder if it's related.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By "their USL-C team" do you guys mean Miami FC? Inter Miami doesn't own that team, it's a separate club. Fort Lauderdale is their B team. So they're not bypassing Neville kid through that team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A day before this announcement they let go Paul Dalglish, a perenially successful coach who got their USL-C team into the playoffs. I can't help wonder if it's related.
    Dalglish was the Ottawa Fury coach they hired after Marc dos Santos. I wasn't particularly fond of him. I thought MdS was the better coach.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So they have announced the home openers for next season.

We start in Dallas on Feb 26

&

Open at home vs Dallas (weird) on March 5

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So they have announced the home openers for next season.

We start in Dallas on Feb 26

&

Open at home vs Dallas (weird) on March 5
    Home opener versus Red Bulls!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Galaxy GM te Kloese going to Feyenoord...missed playoffs in two of his three seasons including Vanneys first

Sources: LA Galaxy GM Dennis te Kloese to take over soccer operations at Feyenoord

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    Galaxy GM te Kloese going to Feyenoord...missed playoffs in two of his three seasons including Vanneys first

Sources: LA Galaxy GM Dennis te Kloese to take over soccer operations at Feyenoord
    would be funny if Curtis went there

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jabbronies View Post
    would be funny if Curtis went there
    Feyenoord? Or Galaxy as GM?
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post

Wonder if they woiuld trust Vanney in a dual role? If not, he might be out. He won't be the new GMs guy and his first season was pretty blah.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He will at the very least get to start the season...he has a good resume and its not like theyve been doing great in the last few years...they missed playoffs in four of the last five...but if they have a very bad start or miss playoffs next year hes gone

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta believe he was a huge reason for Toronto's success...turned around an absolute garbage Colorado and took them top of the west...can only imagine what he would be able to do with a top spending team and wish that at the very least an offer is made to him to see if hes interested in coming back

Colorado Rapids' journey to the top: Robin Fraser shares secrets of their success

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Feyenoord? Or Galaxy as GM?
    Galaxy obviously

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting to watch the Galaxy this season and see if a lot of Vanney's success here was because he had Fraser. Our results slipped without Fraser and now we've seen what Fraser can do and for now, what Vanney can't do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Interesting to watch the Galaxy this season and see if a lot of Vanney's success here was because he had Fraser. Our results slipped without Fraser and now we've seen what Fraser can do and for now, what Vanney can't do.
    They were extremely unlucky with injuries in the second half of the season, really caused all sorts of problems. Having said that, he doesn’t seem to have the best sense for assessing defenders, as they have something like five or six centre backs on the roster but only three play, and two were foreign signings. They also had terrible times defending set pieces, and I seem to recall a few years here where we struggled with that.

He seems very tactically astute and he knows how to use skill players, but not sure if — even though he was a defender — the same is true for the back line. Again, however, they got very unlucky and only missed out because of a blown penalty call that VAR admitted was blown, so…

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And....te Kloese jumps to Feyenoord - I expect Vanney to be named sporting director of LAG in the next few weeks. If they don't give it to him, he's gone within 5 years to somebody who will give him that dual role.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Random tidbit.
    Ifunayachi Achara gets 50% of his salary in Bitcoin
    https://www.coindesk.com/business/20...ry-in-bitcoin/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Random tidbit.
    Ifunayachi Achara gets 50% of his salary in Bitcoin
    https://www.coindesk.com/business/20...ry-in-bitcoin/
    Interesting. Maybe makes it easier for him to send money back to his family?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is literally nothing worse than talking to a Bitcoin bro.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    There is literally nothing worse than talking to a Bitcoin bro.
    Achara is sending money back home, which according to the article
    The Nigerian naira’s annual inflation hit a four-year high at above 18% in March.
    Some people can’t rely on a stable currency we take for granted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noimpactinmtl View Post
    Achara is sending money back home, which according to the article

Some people can’t rely on a stable currency we take for granted.
    Not saying there is anything wrong with Bitcoin and him getting paid in it. I am glad he is able to help provide his family with a better life because of it and if you are an investor in it I hope you do well. I just spent last night listening to my friend talk about it for nearly an hour and just thought everyone who does invest and believe in it that the average person does not want to hear about their "crypto journey" for hours on end.