0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydermike View Post
    Random tidbit.
    Ifunayachi Achara gets 50% of his salary in Bitcoin
    https://www.coindesk.com/business/20...ry-in-bitcoin/
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    the average person does not want to hear about their "crypto journey" for hours on end.
    I'm one of those who is fed up with constant crypto talk from a colleague, but considering where the article is posted it's no surprise that there's some crypto evangelism going on there. I do think it's an interesting tidbit, thanks @rydermike for posting this! We often don't get many insights into players everyday lives.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 11-27-2021 at 11:55 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool SB Nation rewind video on MLS Cup 2016 https://youtu.be/H9RiP3Gt4cQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SKC also picked up the contract option of homegrown midfielder Felipe Hernandez, who is currently suspended by the league for betting on MLS matches. He is eligible to apply for reinstatement on January 1, 2022.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/felip...on-mls-matches

LOL

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Amir. View Post
    SKC also picked up the contract option of homegrown midfielder Felipe Hernandez, who is currently suspended by the league for betting on MLS matches. He is eligible to apply for reinstatement on January 1, 2022.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/felip...on-mls-matches

LOL
    Wonder what the odds were on SKC picking up his option?

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Wonder what the odds were on SKC picking up his option?
    I saw what you did there...
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll say this guys, we often hear debates about the relative quality of MLS versus Europe/UK. I'm watching an FA cup match right now between Gateshead, from the regional league, and League One's Charlton Athletic. The tactical discipline and general skill level isn't far off MLS.

The tactical discipline is similar, perhaps even superior at times. Everyone is playing their part and is positionally strong.

It's the individual skills and some of the speed that is missing, but even there it's not a huge difference.

Gateshead, who are undefeated in the National League North this year (Division Six, basically), would win the CPL in a walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah cpl is d7-8 level in england...in mls take off the dps and its league two england or lower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah cpl is d7-8 level in england...in mls take off the dps and its league two england or lower
    I'd say it's nuanced in that there are a lot of non-DP upper TAM level guys who could probably play in the Championship or League One pretty comfortably, but there are a lot of backup level players who would struggle over there to hold down a job even in League Two.

The talent spread here pretty much covers all levels. As a whole, the tactical 'shape' and discipline isn't much better than League Two, suggesting the coaching of such is still well behind.

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparisons between different leagues is difficult because its rarely objective, except when there's actual games that mean something. No CONCACAF team has come close to winning the Club World Cup. So that's the objective comparison.

I'd argue that MLS' real competition isn't something like the EPL, it's Mexico. Currently Mexican teams greatly outspend MLS teams, but the gap is closing and I think it's not unbelievable to think that eventually MLS will be better than Mexico. That's an achievable goal.

We don't have the best league in the world, but neither do most countries and football does just fine.

CPL is what it is. A scrappy and exciting league that is a feeder league to more important leagues. That fact in itself will ultimately be a big help to the CMNT.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-03-2021 at 06:19 PM.
    MLS is a tough, physical league, that emphasizes speed, and features plastic fields, grueling travel, extreme weather, and incompetent refs. - NK Toronto

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apples to Oranges comparison

Most English players couldn't handle the travel (I support Barrow - most English players think going to Preston is hard work)

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also struggle with comparisons.

Something that often shocks me even in the European top leagues: despite the amazing level of skill, there are still frequent brain farts that would have us screaming at people like Bono, Zavaleta or Gonzalez if they happen hear. Things like defenders or goalies passing the ball straight to the opposition; or dwelling on the ball with no idea where the opposing players are and getting stripped; or leaving attackers open in acres of space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Auzzy View Post
    I also struggle with comparisons.

Something that often shocks me even in the European top leagues: despite the amazing level of skill, there are still frequent brain farts that would have us screaming at people like Bono, Zavaleta or Gonzalez if they happen hear. Things like defenders or goalies passing the ball straight to the opposition; or dwelling on the ball with no idea where the opposing players are and getting stripped; or leaving attackers open in acres of space.
    Christian Ramirez, the LAFC striker, went to Aberdeen this season and is doing pretty well, eight goals in seventeen or something like that. But he did comment that he was really surprised by how tactically disciplined players were, how little individual decision making and athleticism mattered compared to here.

I suspect that's true across UK football and it often disguises gaps in individual technique or consistency. Even in early MLS, Andy Welsh was truly out of his depth; but he went back and had a reasonable career in League two and League One. Placed in only ideal situations, he was a lot more effective.

Whereas in MLS, players tend to take the South American approach to freelancing and attempting to beat defenders one-on-one, which can sometimes look fairly chaotic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welsh was a championship sub before and after so really a league one player as he dropped back there after and in mls was still a starter...bunch of them were around that level at that point in their career and were starters or were good as subs in mls...even today all or almost all coming from england do well in mls but have to say they are mostly league one or championship level...now are there examples of league two or national league players getting a spot and time in mls? maybe not and you probably dont want to use your international slots on players of that level...from germany for example there was andreas ivan who was a d4 player(and there are much more teams in german than english d4) and got 20-25 games over two seasons with a red bulls team that of course made playoffs...so again, take off the top five players of teams and quality goes down tremendously...now of course there is work being done by academies to bring up the level but theres still a ways to go

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re brain farts, people make mistakes at every level. That isn’t really surprising, if you think about any workplace.

I am always struck in life by the fact that, mostly, managing people is about having them understand their role in a system, with no confusion, but …

at very elite levels, managing is really about getting out of the way.
    Last edited by ensco; 12-03-2021 at 11:20 PM.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, to be clear, in your opinion, MLS without DP’s is the equivalent (or lower) than a league where the TOP earners are reportedly making $137k a year?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lets say without dp tam u22 initiative...unfortunately thats what it is...its not about the money they are making there but rather the quality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to go watch Bromley play live 3 or 4 times a year. Started going when they were in the old Conference South (now called the National South, 6th tier) and saw then win the league one year. I always felt there were players that would improve TFC, especially the central defenders.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That tactical discipline thing has been brought up before - I think Seba mentionned that here he expected to operate in certain areas because defenders were not there in Europe - it took about 4 to 5 games for him to understand that defenders jump in here out of the normal zones. Its one reason why most MLS goals are scored on transitions.

E.g. Lampard scored a bunch of goals in MLS by crashing the penalty area late - the largest amount of goals in MLS are scored through that means, when defenders are struggling to cover & midfielders have lost their man. Its why a guy like Fraser, who is trying to make a living off of 80 minutes in one CanMNT game, struggle & Bradley still succeeds - Fraser makes bad marking decisions - Bradley rarely loses his man because he doesn't step out without knowing he has backup.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 12-04-2021 at 07:27 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Now, THIS is league parity!

MLS is the all-time parity league, right?

Not by a longshot!

Thought you'd all find these two tables, culled from a Guardian link, of the two most competitive leagues ever.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/even.html

RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    MLS is the all-time parity league, right?

Not by a longshot!

Thought you'd all find these two tables, culled from a Guardian link, of the two most competitive leagues ever.

http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/even.html
    MLS is the most consistent parity league. Individual years in a league do not parity make, although they are interesting trivia answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another bologna backup is sent to montreal

https://en.cfmontreal.com/news/cf-mo...rom-bologna-fc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marsch gone at RB Leipzig...at least a couple mls teams must be trying to get him...Cincinnati likely

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marsch gone at RB Leipzig...at least a couple mls teams must be trying to get him...Cincinnati likely
    Marsch must be going to Man Utd as an assistant. That would make sense, and I bet that is where that garbled Armas story came from.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RB Leipzig president admitted they built the wrong team for who Marsch is and that Marsch told them twice he was the wrong guy for what the sqaud was but they ignored him.

i.e. Beware systems based organizations if those systems are based on one or two particular individuals - once they leave, the next guy along might have issuess

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting with the TV contract coming up...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    RB Leipzig president admitted they built the wrong team for who Marsch is and that Marsch told them twice he was the wrong guy for what the sqaud was but they ignored him.

i.e. Beware systems based organizations if those systems are based on one or two particular individuals - once they leave, the next guy along might have issuess
    Honestly that shows how good of a coach he is that he told him he shouldn't be hired. Most coaches would never admit that, especially when it involves a promotion like that.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twellmann just sent this out

Offly specific if not true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yup just about official now...major WTF

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for my sins I'm a utd fan, I am clinging to the notion that a lot of good coaches have failed as actual managers. Someone tell me this guy is a good coach but shite manager. Ragnick himself is very hands on in training anyway, so is he coming in as someone who puts the cones out etc. Strange move, I thought after Marsch was sacked he'd be the one that Ragnick would bring in.