Page 25 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    RPB Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Montréal section 132 after their Ultras group causes problems

https://en.cfmontreal.com/news/commu...section-132-en

Anyone who has been to an away match in Montréal will have experience with UM02.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 09-08-2021 at 10:24 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was in response to TFC & then MLS demanding action after attacks on our supporters before the last game there. Impact wouldn't have done anything but the league stepped in & indicated there would be sanctions if nothing done.

There will be no Impact away allocation for the game here in October.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, tonight, Zavs is having a shocker even by TFC standards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Meanwhile, Richie's playing like Besiktas are interested. He's been so good, and int'l games are usually so well scouted, that I'd be surprised if we don't get offers after tonight.
    Last edited by jloome; 09-08-2021 at 08:18 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Meanwhile, Richie's playing like Besiktas are interested. He's been so good, and int'l games are usually so well scouted, that I'd be surprised if we don't get offers after tonight.
    which means, Laryea will be ok at best for TFC. fatigue and lack of motivation
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best i've seen him play, certainly the best game he has had this season. Contrast his effort in chasing the play back to prevent the goal with standing and watching the guy score off the rebound from the free kick in the TFC game. Like a different player.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

he was brutal tonight. I felt sympathetic for him.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    which means, Laryea will be ok at best for TFC. fatigue and lack of motivation

He should get the game @ Cinci off.

Oso had another one of his underappreciated games to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He should get the game @ Cinci off.

Oso had another one of his underappreciated games to.
    Yes. Oso very good indeed. I suspect he and Richie are motivated by country not club at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't that Herdman's calling card-motivation/getting players pumped for games. I'm not surprised that the guys are up for Canada games

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He may have been off the cuff and talking down the line, but Soteldo's comments about returning to Brazil are getting heavy play in Venezuela.

https://strikers.futbol/cracks/Yefer...0908-0035.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He may have been off the cuff and talking down the line, but Soteldo's comments about returning to Brazil are getting heavy play in Venezuela.

He didn't come here to play for a last place team

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    I want him like any other player to succeed here. But there’s something off with him. He appears to be focused on himself more than the team. Also, he hasn’t exactly made the team improve which is what you need from DPs.

I just don’t know what to think about him. At this point, if he were to move on, I don’t know that I’d be all that upset. That comes with the caveat that we have an immediate replacement lined up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one is going to pay him what we do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly. I wouldn’t blame a single guy on this team for wanting to leave this tire fire right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    No one is going to pay him what we do.

Yup, he ain't leaving until his contract his done.

If we buy out a contract, it's going to be Altidore.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can take a while for a player to get used to a new league and esp with dumpster fire that is TFC rightnow.

If Soteldo still isn't that good by mid next season and no signs of significantly improving, then I'd be concerned

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo is a gifted player and I love watching him. My concerns are more that he doesn't quite fit with our current roster and that he might not be happy. If he is really unhappy, he and the club will find a way for him to leave.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you follow him on Insta - you'll know he misses it there. The guy wants spotlight treatment and he ain't getting it here. I won't be surprised if sometime in the next year TFC have found a way to move him back to where he wants to go.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soteldo is a gifted player and I love watching him. My concerns are more that he doesn't quite fit with our current roster and that he might not be happy. If he is really unhappy, he and the club will find a way for him to leave.
    I'm not sure he offers any more than Richie, who ain't getting millions.

He had a goal every four games at Santos, so his production is way down. My sense watching him is he badly underestimates the league he's playing in, like most of our team, and his own abilities. He'll happily spend thirty seconds dribbling down to the corner without lifting his head once to see if he had help inside, and when he does get help he usually doesn't take it.

Maybe as a young guy he's trying to prove worth or mirror Josef and be the "Carry the team" guy. But that doesn't work in Atlanta and it won't work here.

Plus, Martinez was literally misused in Europe. He's a pure goalscorer and in Italy they played him as a winger and a wing-back. Soteldo, on the other hand, is playing basically the same position, but he doesn't have a team that moves defenders around, creates shooting space, creates looks at goal.

Also, defending in the Brazilian league is NOT at the same level as offensive prowess. It's always been pretty wide open. I'm not saying it's better in MLS but it's not a lot worse. So without star-level teammates, his efficacy is diminished.

Probably doesn't trust any of our forward options other than Achara, at this point, who is of similar age but a kid in terms of football pedigree and basic technique by comparison.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but this is what FC Dallas is doing on & for 9/11:

I don't know about you, but I feel like the Dallas front office is completely out of touch and are taking a classless approach to this. This comes after they denied El Matador, one of their supporters' clubs, support to travel to Houston after previously helping them travel to an Austin away day.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just thought this was an interesting tweet

Yes, he's the one who got away but getting past that for a moment - I think we do zonal marking on defence but I'm not sure that Mavinga really is good at it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone feeling masochistic, here's a deep dive on how Vanney rebuilt the Galaxy's roster in one offseason:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/how-t...reg-vanney-era

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For anyone feeling masochistic, here's a deep dive on how Vanney rebuilt the Galaxy's roster in one offseason:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/how-t...reg-vanney-era
    That’s just plain mean 😭

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have questions.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have questions.....
    Me too. The first being, does this mean way more midweek games and congestion in the regular season, and a higher salary cap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that would eliminate the champions leagues relevance which I would be totally fine with. Throw in a few teams from the other minnows and this tournament is set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I think that would eliminate the champions leagues relevance which I would be totally fine with. Throw in a few teams from the other minnows and this tournament is set.
    That would mean CPL and USL teams could never qualify for Concacaf. And three spots in the CCL are up for grabs in the new tournament.
    Last edited by Kamp Berg; 09-21-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like there will be regional tournaments in the fall for NA, CA, and Caribbean clubs, which will be used to determine places for a Spring knockout tournament. There will be additional spaces for CanChamp and OSOC winners, 4 Liga MX teams, 3 MLS teams, and 2 CanPL(!?) teams. The MLS/LigaMX tournament will block off a month where neither league will play domestic matches. This is looking really interesting, and we can be guaranteed to see at least 3 Canadian clubs in the CCL (and possibly up to 6).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not really relevant to this thread, but I just found this story absolutely hilarious.

Suriname's 60-year old vice-president bought a club (Inter Moengotapoe) and for the first leg of their CONCACAF LEAGUE match yesterday against Olympia made himself captain and a starter and played 54 minutes. He also named his son as a starter. They lost 6-0. By playing, he became the world's oldest professional player.

Then the story gets even better looking at his past.
    Brunswijk had led an interesting life in the small South American country that puts this most recent move into perspective. According to a New York Times profile, he has been "an elite paratrooper, a soccer player, a wanted bank robber, a guerrilla leader, a gold baron and a father to at least 50 children during his lifetime." He's also been convicted of drug trafficking in Europe but also helped bring democracy to Suriname. He's been questioned on where he earned his wealth by some but also has a reputation for generosity. An example being he used to shower his supporters with money while in a helicopter overhead.

Suriname’s president, Chan Santokhi, hunted Brunswijk in the 80s as a police officer before the two joined forces politically. He built a reputation as a Robin Hood and would hand out money to people from robberies he would commit, per The New York Times.

He said his fortune came from timber and gold-mining concessions he obtained after the war and not a drug ring but used his wealth to get into politics. His efforts were in vain on Tuesday, however, with Inter Moengotapoe losing 6–0, and things took a turn after the match, with video circulating of Brunswijk handing out money to Olimpia players in the opposing locker room.
    https://www.si.com/soccer/2021/09/22...t-60-years-old

It still gets better
    Brunswijk will be unable to play the second leg as he cannot leave Suriname, because he is wanted by Interpol for drug trafficking crimes.
    https://www.marca.com/en/football/in...a508b45ea.html

Some more facts about him here:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comm...eb2x&context=3
    Some other facts about this:
    • He hasn't played in a sanctioned match for about 10 years .
    • He has fathered at least 50 children, including his son Damian who started the match at striker.
    • After being hospitalized with COVID-19, he donated 3 cars to hospital nurses who had no transportation.
    • In June 2012, he was suspended for 1 year because he behaved violently towards the referee and a player in football match
    • The disciplinary committee of the Surinamese Football Association suspended him for five years because he threatened some players with a handgun during a match in 2005, but the suspension was retracted due to lack of evidence.
    • In 2007, he beat up a member of the Surinamese legislature during an event which was broadcast on live television.
    • Let’s talk about his younger life. In 1980, he served as the personal bodyguard of Dési Bouterse and helped overthrew the government in a military coup.
    • In 1985, after being discharged, he formed a rebel guerilla military group and commanded the group against Bouterse's forces in a 6-year-long civil war.
    • The Dutch government accused him of cocaine trafficking and in 1999 he was sentenced in absentia to eight years in prison
    • He has remained active in politics since the civil war and was elected Vice President in an uncontested election in 2020.
    • He will most likely be unable to play in the return leg in Honduras, as he is a convicted bank robber, drug trafficker, and, most importantly, an internationally wanted fugitive with an active Interpol arrest warrant.
    • [Edit: Video was streamed tonight from Olimpia's locker room that appears to show Ronnie Brunswijk giving people in the locker room cash. He also leaves with an Olimpia shirt.]

Say what you will about the dude but you can't say he hasn't lived his life to the fullest!
    Last edited by rydermike; 09-22-2021 at 01:50 PM.