Page 9 of 71 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Jason Bent off to LAG with Vanney

Ali going with his own guys finally.

Wonder if there will be any institutional memory among the coaching staff.
    Uggh, that’s a bit of a gut punch but honestly maybe this is what Jason Bent needs to be taken seriously as a coaching candidate rather than a career TFC company man and an assistant.

I wish him luck.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know much about Bent, but didn't TFC2 perform quite poorly when he was in charge? That could have also been due to it being boys vs men in USL.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of people here are blaming Manning and Curtis for a lack of any big name DP signings. But if you look back at when Defoe, Seba, Bradley, and Jozy where brought in it was during the Lieweke era, who was not only a soccer guy but also MLSE President. As a result he was in a position to authorize big budget signings. Manning is not. Since Lieweke left we haven't seen those types of contracts anymore, with the exception of Jozy's extension. Even Poz's contract was only for $4M per year. I don't think we are going to see any $6M per year contracts anytime soon, especially when the team is bleeding red ink given 2 whole seasons with no ticket sales.

None of us know the budget that Manning has been given to work with. It may be a lot smaller than most of us think. Building through the academy may be the only option.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 01-16-2021 at 01:27 AM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    A lot of people here are blaming Manning and Curtis for a lack of any big name DP signings. But if you look back at when Defoe, Seba, Bradley, and Jozy where brought in it was during the Lieweke era, who was not only a soccer guy but also MLSE President. As a result he was in a position to authorize big budget signings. Manning is not. Since Lieweke left we haven't seen those types of contracts anymore, with the exception of Jozy's extension. Even Poz's contract was only for $4M per year. I don't think we are going to see any $6M per year contracts anytime soon, especially when the team is bleeding red ink given 2 whole seasons with no ticket sales.

None of us know the budget that Manning has been given to work with. It may be a lot smaller than most of us think. Building through the academy may be the only option.
    I totally agree with this post.
    I'm afraid many years are coming when we'll not see any signing of any player who's is real worth on the market is more than about $3.5 million at the time of signing.
    Anyways, any DP signing will be under Pozo's value.

And with this is coming the big question, like some posters already put it... is really TFC remaining a big MLS team, or will become a solid mid-MLS team in terms of spending on the roster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don’t think you can blame this on the board. I am sure there are other examples of teams in this league of teams owned under a larger sports conglomerate where things happen on time. We’ve never seen anything in the press about this.

In contrast, look at what we’ve seen reported about how Curtis and Manning do searches. Multiple interviews for each coaching candidate, triggering release clauses without the selling club’s notice, the mechanics are poor.

In my opinion, this is why everything is delayed. These guys have a flawed approach to searching for talent. It’s too much about details they believe matter to us, double and triple checking everything and not enough about making a deal and recognizing acquiring talent requires elements of both sales and negotiation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After watching that documentary about Ayo, all I want is him to get paid so he can take care of his family. If he has to leave to do it, Godspeed Ayo!
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaEatingYeti View Post
    I totally agree with this post.
    I'm afraid many years are coming when we'll not see any signing of any player who's is real worth on the market is more than about $3.5 million at the time of signing.
    Anyways, any DP signing will be under Pozo's value.

And with this is coming the big question, like some posters already put it... is really TFC remaining a big MLS team, or will become a solid mid-MLS team in terms of spending on the roster.
    I think we will remain in the upper quartile of MLS teams when it comes to spending, but I don't see us leading the league again. I also believe that the lack of broad based interest in the club is what is driving this decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    I don’t think you can blame this on the board. I am sure there are other examples of teams in this league of teams owned under a larger sports conglomerate where things happen on time. We’ve never seen anything in the press about this.

In contrast, look at what we’ve seen reported about how Curtis and Manning do searches. Multiple interviews for each coaching candidate, triggering release clauses without the selling club’s notice, the mechanics are poor.

In my opinion, this is why everything is delayed. These guys have a flawed approach to searching for talent. It’s too much about details they believe matter to us, double and triple checking everything and not enough about making a deal and recognizing acquiring talent requires elements of both sales and negotiation.
    There were some significant TAM deals given out by Bez under Manning's watch which required buy-outs within a year, specifically Aketxe and VDW. I believe it is these types of deals that contributes to the overall caution exhibited. You can add Jozy's extension to the mix. Too many of these and the board starts looking for a new team president.
    Last edited by NK Toronto; 01-16-2021 at 10:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Evaluating how this club is going to stack up in MLS spending going forward is a nuanced discussion. We're always going to be pushing around the top of the league. This club will likely always be competitive. It's not going to be allowed to slip towards true MLS mediocrity. MLSE understands this club needs to maintain certain standards, which is why Poz got signed when Seba left. But if Seba and Jozy left we wouldn't have gotten two Poz level signings because it's not necessary to win in this league and the ticket bump is marginal.

We are an Arsenal. A big club run relatively cost-effectively with title "ambitions" and a budget that's massive for a mid table team, but small relative to those ambitions. This club is no longer a "bloody big deal" it's a "relatively big deal".

Truthfully, I think most fans would be fine with spending near the top of the league but not at 2014-2015 levels if the club were explicit about it. The issue is publicly lowering expectations without looking like a bunch of losers. The FO has fucked this though. You can't go out there and say "Hey we're not doing the high roller thing anymore", but you can sure as hell not go out there and say "We're rolling in money" when your pockets are dead fucking empty. That's why all this frustration is exacerbated: Publicly set expectations and standards that are never met. Two weeks, Pozuelo debacle, VdW, Giovinco, Jozy's personal unrest and fan unrest at his re-signing, Vanney gone, Viera offered but not really offered, Armas signed. A lot of this has to do with the bold part of this paragraph.

If they won't lower our expectations for us than we should for ourselves. That way we aren't pissy about the next Armas, in this case our new DP, when it's so obviously staring us in the face.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    After watching that documentary about Ayo, all I want is him to get paid so he can take care of his family. If he has to leave to do it, Godspeed Ayo!
    well, he ain't going to get rich playing in Turkey. odds are, unless you play for one of big Istanbul clubs, you might not get paid
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Omar View Post
    I'm on the same boat as you. I'm worried about the uncertainty in TFC and the lack of transparency in its direction. We're just going to have to brace ourselves for a different approach to strengthening the squad now.

Ultimately, it's the big names and the top-tier players who are key to winning MLS Cups. You need that extra bit of quality to overcome any and all opposition in knockout tournaments, whilst consistently good quality matters more for the Supporters' Shield. Given what I've seen of NYRB, Curtis can contribute to building solid, consistent sides, but can he contribute to building an MLS-Cup winning side? That remains to be seen.

Personally speaking, I enjoy seeing our academy products come through, so I'm looking forward to that for next season.
    I agree with this mostly.

You still need a good team with lots of depth to win MLS Cups. Having just big name, expensive DPs aren't going to get you very far. IE, Atlanta and LA Galaxy in recent years.

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Evaluating how this club is going to stack up in MLS spending going forward is a nuanced discussion. We're always going to be pushing around the top of the league. This club will likely always be competitive. It's not going to be allowed to slip towards true MLS mediocrity. MLSE understands this club needs to maintain certain standards, which is why Poz got signed when Seba left. But if Seba and Jozy left we wouldn't have gotten two Poz level signings because it's not necessary to win in this league and the ticket bump is marginal.

We are an Arsenal. A big club run relatively cost-effectively with title "ambitions" and a budget that's massive for a mid table team, but small relative to those ambitions. This club is no longer a "bloody big deal" it's a "relatively big deal".

Truthfully, I think most fans would be fine with spending near the top of the league but not at 2014-2015 levels if the club were explicit about it. The issue is publicly lowering expectations without looking like a bunch of losers. The FO has fucked this though. You can't go out there and say "Hey we're not doing the high roller thing anymore", but you can sure as hell not go out there and say "We're rolling in money" when your pockets are dead fucking empty. That's why all this frustration is exacerbated: Publicly set expectations and standards that are never met. Two weeks, Pozuelo debacle, VdW, Giovinco, Jozy's personal unrest and fan unrest at his re-signing, Vanney gone, Viera offered but not really offered, Armas signed. A lot of this has to do with the bold part of this paragraph.

If they won't lower our expectations for us than we should for ourselves. That way we aren't pissy about the next Armas, in this case our new DP, when it's so obviously staring us in the face.
    Here, here! Couldn’t have been said any better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NK Toronto View Post
    There were some significant TAM deals given out by Bez under Manning's watch which required buy-outs within a year, specifically Aketxe and VDW. I believe it is these types of deals that contributes to the overall caution exhibited. You can add Jozy's extension to the mix. Too many of these and the board starts looking for a new team president.
    Oh absolutely, buy outs and those sorts of things will always be slow under our structure. I have no doubt there was some hand wringing after we signed Aketxe and VDW. Had we got those right, we would have gone on to completely dominate MLS in a way nobody has seen before, I think completely surpassing the 2017 team. But they both went south.

I do wonder how much Vanney contributed to those deals. It seemed like things that were very odd ball. Why was a fullback the burning requirement when Beitashour still had a year or two left playing at a good level? Why did we always force Osorio to prove himself over-and-over-and-over to justify his place in the team? Instead we sign Aketxe which was just a bad idea top to bottom.

All that said, they have to know the follies of being overly cautious. The market isn’t going to wait for them if they aren’t assertive enough. I fear they fall into the pitfall of finding deals that are too good to be true (and inevitably are).

Edit: either that or letting the clock run down so far they are pushed into some crappy, sub-optimal move.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 01-16-2021 at 02:00 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would love to see Jonathan David play for TFC. I know it will probably never happen but it’s a nice dream!

https://twitter.com/onesoccerexpert/status/1350863840955740160?s=21

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamp Berg View Post
    Would love to see Jonathan David play for TFC. I know it will probably never happen but it’s a nice dream!

https://twitter.com/onesoccerexpert/...955740160?s=21
    That's a definite never, at least until retirement, given when he was a kid he was told to not join an MLS Academy as it would hurt his development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apparently NYRB are shopping around Tim Parker. He would be a good CB defensively.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canary10 View Post
    Apparently NYRB are shopping around Tim Parker. He would be a good CB defensively.
    I wonder if we have the necessary Tam/Gam for a move like this. I hope so!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm assuming Tony Gallacher's loan was not extended, correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by James17930 View Post
    Correct, he returned to Liverpool.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a picture today of Nobel Okello in the CanMNT

Guy has put on some muscle while getting games out on loan. I think he might surprise us this year in the midfield & maybe push Delgado a bit. A LOT of potential there for a guy that tall who can pass like he can.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct, he returned to Liverpool.
    He started for LFC's U23 team today in their 1-1 draw with Everton.

Last edited by Red CB Toronto; 01-18-2021 at 10:30 PM.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought Gallacher was pretty good considering his age. Would have been a good back up left back to have. Laryea, Auro, Gallacher and a starting left back looks really good to me at fullback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I thought Gallacher was pretty good considering his age. Would have been a good back up left back to have. Laryea, Auro, Gallacher and a starting left back looks really good to me at fullback.
    Apparently there was no option to buy or extend the loan. I agree he was solid and has potential.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't disagree with Ives but I would still rather transition Schaffelburg to LB. As for this draft, it is losing importance so I would always just take swings at the best CBs available and hope for the best. Getting a usable CB from there would be an absolute bonus.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Achara we got last year & they reupped on Higgins

But, man the list of draftees is way more misses then hits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...FC_draft_picks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Saw a picture today of Nobel Okello in the CanMNT

Guy has put on some muscle while getting games out on loan. I think he might surprise us this year in the midfield & maybe push Delgado a bit. A LOT of potential there for a guy that tall who can pass like he can.
    i have been impressed with his appearances. Like Priso, I think there is real potential with Noble

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised no one has thrown around the idea of signing Diego Costa as our DP. He seems to check all the boxes:

- Famous
    - 32 years old
    - Spanish
    - Probably overrated, but could do well in MLS

Thoughts?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm surprised no one has thrown around the idea of signing Diego Costa as our DP. He seems to check all the boxes:

- Famous
    - 32 years old
    - Spanish
    - Probably overrated, but could do well in MLS

Thoughts?
    He is too much like Jozy; moody and made of glass. Not sure he could physically press anymore either. Pass.