Page 65 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1555616263646566676869 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 2112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    LOL...discussing this in the non-transfer thread because this ain't getting Jozy gone by any means.

If anything, this adds to his appeal

A reminder

Legend

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore/sta...25787976720387

@JozyAltidore

Taylor twellman national team career was laughable. Beasley should be that analyst or a Mia Hamm. Twellman need to be on extra time radio with Bobby warshaw. He a white boy with connects. Stop giving him a platform.
    I mean Jozy isn’t wrong here. Twellman was a meh player? Correct. Is he a white boy? Yes. Connects? Yes. Everything else is pretty valid opinion to me and puts people on to OneSoccer analysis so I “like” this tweet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I mean Jozy isn’t wrong here. Twellman was a meh player? Correct. Is he a white boy? Yes. Connects? Yes. Everything else is pretty valid opinion to me and puts people on to OneSoccer analysis so I “like” this tweet.
    I dunno, he killed us a few times. Twellman was a good player. Back in the day, Jozy would've handled that with some class.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing seems inevitable: if the youth movement continues to break into first teams at unprecedented rates, the college game is going to be dead as a doornail. Probably about time, in terms of being a primary source, too late in their development to reach maximum potential.

I guess it'll become a secondary route, like playing in the regional leagues in England and Germany.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    i think jozy will be gone by june,that twitter rant may be the last straw,with the Lareya,borre, jozy news. june may be the off season like no other we have been waiting for.
    I’m sorry how is him tweeting that “The last straw”?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno. He scored over a hundred goals for New England. Nats career wasn’t meaningful but it doesn’t exclude him from talking about the subject. Parlaying a successful gig as a player in North America into a broadcast gig sounds like fair game to me.

In describing someone’s race with a characteristic that some could say is a backhanded descriptor of that race, Altidore’s treading pretty finely.

Not that I love Twellman’s take on this subject but questioning his station is a bit much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy was not talking about his club stats. He was only refering to Twellman's national team USA stats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twellman sucks as a broadcaster. Tries way too hard to be funny and just comes off cringeworthy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are a number of former US players that are very quick and unfair in criticizing current players when they don’t meet expectations of American exceptionalism, I wouldn’t be cool with it either. For example, Lalas comes to mind for some of the lame shit he’s spouted over the years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    Jozy was not talking about his club stats. He was only refering to Twellman's national team USA stats.
    Does that preclude him from talking about the subject though? It’s not terribly relevant in my opinion.

Better ways to address Twellman’s comments.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Latest on Borré (now an EPL Team is linked)

The future of
    Rafael Santos Borré seems to have an unexpected new chapter and more so when in Brazil they took their arrival at the Guild for granted.

"We have verbal agreement with Borré, but we will only wait for the formal signing of this pre-contract," said Romildo Bolzán, president of the Porto Alegre club.

However, on Monday an Argentine media said that a Premier League team will seek to tempt the Colombian and make him change his mind, before what was supposed to be an imminent arrival in Brazilian soccer.

"Borré's family is not very convinced of settling in Brazil because of the social and economic crisis that the neighboring country is experiencing. What's more, a few hours ago, the striker received an important offer from Brighton of England," journalist Sebastián Srur said in TNT Sports.

Brighton, a Premier team and where Steven Alzate and José Heriberto Izquierdo are active, wants to sign the Colombian soccer player and knows the attacker's desire to have a new revenge in European football. Finally, the journalist assured that Borré "would be located in the Premier League through Robert Pires, a former French footballer from Arsenal, who currently works as an agent for players abroad"

Albion Response -
    https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/191...-santos-borre/. Mystified with the link. This is better than a Telenovela

Last edited by Bushmancan; 03-31-2021 at 08:35 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Does that preclude him from talking about the subject though? It’s not terribly relevant in my opinion.

Better ways to address Twellman’s comments.
    I mean, I think it is. Jozy's expressing a valid line of thought when he says "How is this national team scrub qualified to nationally criticize possibly the best group of USMNT players ever?". In a way all he's saying is it's easy to criticize what you've never really been a part of, which is part of why he says Mia Hamm and Beasley would be better analysts of the situation. Twellman's criticism of the USMNT has been full of vitriol and hyperbole, especially towards key players.

USMNT players, especially those that have obviously been blamed like three of ours have (OG, Bradley, Jozy), definitely have right of response in this case and saying "you've never done it at this level, so you don't know what you're talking about" is a fine argument to me.

Note on Twellman's MLS career: He scored 100 goals when the league minimum was 11k and domestic talent was primarily developed in the NCAA.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mean, I think it is. Jozy's expressing a valid line of thought when he says "How is this national team scrub qualified to nationally criticize possibly the best group of USMNT players ever?". In a way all he's saying is it's easy to criticize what you've never really been a part of, which is part of why he says Mia Hamm and Beasley would be better analysts of the situation. Twellman's criticism of the USMNT has been full of vitriol and hyperbole, especially towards key players.

USMNT players, especially those that have obviously been blamed like three of ours have (OG, Bradley, Jozy), definitely have right of response in this case and saying "you've never done it at this level, so you don't know what you're talking about" is a fine argument to me.

Note on Twellman's MLS career: He scored 100 goals when the league minimum was 11k and domestic talent was primarily developed in the NCAA.
    I guess DeRo sucked too, if you're going to use what era of MLS a player played in to judge how good of a player they were.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I guess DeRo sucked too, if you're going to use what era of MLS a player played in to judge how good of a player they were.
    Scoring 100 goals in MLS 1/2.0 is still worth less than scoring 50 in today’s league imo.

Jozy’s 58 goals > DeRo/Twellman’s 100+

Comparing across eras in this league is difficult, the best way to do it is through international competition because it hasn’t developed as rapidly. Twellman’s got 6 in 30, DeRo’s got 20 in 80, Jozy’s got 40 in 115. Those stats speak for themselves re: player quality.
    Last edited by portu; 03-31-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don’t think that’s all necessarily fair.

The ability to comment from the press box or understand the game isn’t limited by one’s playing career accolades. Jose Mourinho was a garbage footballer but you cannot say he’s a bad coach because of it (I choose to think that for other reasons )

Twellman is a byproduct of his era, as is Alitdore. If Altidore was the same age as Twellman, he’d have gone the NCAA route too. He’d have the same low paid teammates and likely the same lack of opportunities in Europe. I’m not sure he would have the same goal scoring record given his lack of durability and MLS 1.0 being fairly brutal in terms of taking care of its players. He also wouldn’t have a Giovonco, VV, or Pozuelo behind him as a playmaker.

I think the counter argument to Twellman is what the One Soccer team said: that a huge percentage of the full USMNT team could have been on the Olympic roster but wasn’t cause WCQ is the ultimate objective. Is it fair to expect more from the Olympic team guys? I don’t know but Twellman’s hyperbole certainly seems a bit rich given they’ve failed to qualify for the Olympic in something like 3 straight cycles.

Sportscasters, in the US especially, always need to be “outraged” about something it seems.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy isn't going anywhere because of this. Twellman isn't exactly well liked in TFC circles anyways. Its a distraction but there are a heck of a lot worse ones to have right now.

To the Borre thing - that looks like agent talk & who knows whom that is meant to distract. TFC not discussing him publically puts us in a better spot - reduces the agent leverage. I fully expect an offer was made and that it is substantial (maybe the amount in the report earlier today) & that the agent is working up until the very last minute to get as much out of the winning offer for his player as he can - River Plate wanting something out of this too just adds to the spice of it all.

Pure spec - Borre really wants to go to Europe - fair enough. And yet, we are the one offer that River Plate likes best right now & that the player & the agent can live with if attempts to get to Europe fail. He'll get paid more here & the money is guaranteed.
    But, life is complicated because River want something and the rest of the world except for TFC think they can wait this out - TFC put down a marker and said "There you go - money now." Now, if somebody else in Europe puts out a feeler, the agent & player will see what is going on and try to play that against TFC. If the feeler in Europe seems legit & worth completing, the agent & player will try to figure out how to make it look like "oh we tried to get something back to the beloved current team but it just wasn't possible to do". BUT, if there is no legit European offer, TFC will get him. IF I'm right, its actually well played by Manning & Curtis up until now. Identify the player - offer what all parties would accept at this point - wait it out while the other options get worked through. If he gets an option to follow his passion in Europe, fair enough, no hard feelings. But...here's $5 million a year for the next 3 + a bit to the team you are currently with - consider it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think TFC maybe is trying to show Borré that they are willing to work with him. Gremio and Palm Trees both seem to have given him hard deadlines and he is still holding out for Europe so accepting one of those offers takes that away. Keeping our offer on the table and waiting for him to figure out his future shows him just how much we value him and if/when the time comes we will help facilitate a transfer to Europe.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But, life is complicated because River want something and the rest of the world except for TFC think they can wait this out - TFC put down a marker and said "There you go - money now." Now, if somebody else in Europe puts out a feeler, the agent & player will see what is going on and try to play that against TFC. If the feeler in Europe seems legit & worth completing, the agent & player will try to figure out how to make it look like "oh we tried to get something back to the beloved current team but it just wasn't possible to do". If he gets an option to follow his passion in Europe, fair enough, no hard feelings. But...here's $5 million a year for the next 3 + a bit to the team you are currently with - consider it.
    I agree, i think the “big one” in the article that i found, was about his young family... you are not going to find a better place than Toronto. Gio’s family is still here, MBs family is here... use that as the selling point as well. Ciman liked Canada (MTL and Tor). Even with all of our dumping and highlighting the challenges but there are so many benefits to living here and taking in $5MM.

I do think if he is aspirational, then yes Europe is where he needs to be but if it is to play for Columbia, lots of good reasons to destroy MLS for a couple of years. There is an argument that Gio got his call up because a) he was that good but b) he was showcased.

The one thing I haven’t found anywhere is if he is good with his teammates in the locker room. That would be key as well.. this is where Manning and Ali really need to do their work.

Long way to go but better than all the other distractions.

btw... got a call from my ticket rep (she impressed me and she is trying to get answers)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comparing across eras in this league is difficult, the best way to do it is through international competition because it hasn’t developed as rapidly. Twellman’s got 6 in 30, DeRo’s got 20 in 80, Jozy’s got 40 in 115. Those stats speak for themselves re: player quality.
    Twellman & especially DeRo had a lot less talent around them than Jozy had and most of Jozy's goals were racked up against Carribean minnows. I put Dero above 100% as he managed what he did while playing on a minnow.

All I have to say about Jozy is when the USMNT hit the WC with the best squad they probably ever had, fresh off a great Confederation's Cup showing, with him being counted on as a very key contributor he got injured right away and missed the whole thing. That's classic Jozy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy continues to dig himself a hole on Twitter. He’s lost me now. This guy is on a mega downward spiral.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy continues to dig himself a hole on Twitter. He’s lost me now. This guy is on a mega downward spiral.
    Twitter is just a terrible platform for organized discourse. Very hard to follow the conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was indifferent about the first comments but the follow up is rather silly. I wonder if this makes him enough of a boogeyman within the US soccer community to have his usmnt involvment in question. Which could be a positive for us I suppose.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    Was indifferent about the first comments but the follow up is rather silly. I wonder if this makes him enough of a boogeyman within the US soccer community to have his usmnt involvment in question. Which could be a positive for us I suppose.
    Unless we were looking to move him to an American based MLS based team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easy to forget what with the Jozy and Borre stuff not going away but the rumour that Besiktas is interested in Laryea may have legs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To the Borre thing - that looks like agent talk & who knows whom that is meant to distract. TFC not discussing him publically puts us in a better spot - reduces the agent leverage. I fully expect an offer was made and that it is substantial (maybe the amount in the report earlier today) & that the agent is working up until the very last minute to get as much out of the winning offer for his player as he can - River Plate wanting something out of this too just adds to the spice of it all.

Pure spec - Borre really wants to go to Europe - fair enough. And yet, we are the one offer that River Plate likes best right now & that the player & the agent can live with if attempts to get to Europe fail. He'll get paid more here & the money is guaranteed.
    But, life is complicated because River want something and the rest of the world except for TFC think they can wait this out - TFC put down a marker and said "There you go - money now." Now, if somebody else in Europe puts out a feeler, the agent & player will see what is going on and try to play that against TFC. If the feeler in Europe seems legit & worth completing, the agent & player will try to figure out how to make it look like "oh we tried to get something back to the beloved current team but it just wasn't possible to do". BUT, if there is no legit European offer, TFC will get him. IF I'm right, its actually well played by Manning & Curtis up until now. Identify the player - offer what all parties would accept at this point - wait it out while the other options get worked through. If he gets an option to follow his passion in Europe, fair enough, no hard feelings. But...here's $5 million a year for the next 3 + a bit to the team you are currently with - consider it.
    Thank you for articulating a coherent Borre theory. I still don’t think there is really a chance he is coming, but I at least think this could theoretically be possible.

The Brighton type team (there are lots of others like them in the big leagues) is where he will almost certainly go, and if he can’t find that spot he’ll stay at River.

He can make more money over time in Europe, and he has a shot at starting for Colombia in WC 2022. He isn’t giving that up.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    Thank you for articulating a coherent Borre theory. I still don’t think there is really a chance he is coming, but I at least think this could theoretically be possible.

The Brighton type team (there are lots of others like them in the big leagues) is where he will almost certainly go, and if he can’t find that spot he’ll stay at River.

He can make more money over time in Europe, and he has a shot at starting for Colombia in WC 2022. He isn’t giving that up.
    If we were enterprising, we could offer him a Pavon-like loan with a big dollar buyout clause and a one-way option. He gets the MLS money, we get a shot to buy him on the buyout clause but a bigger club is unhindered if they want him, too. That probably makes it more short-term loan than purchase, but he gets the better wage packet, probably substantially, until someone buys out his deal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    If we were enterprising, we could offer him a Pavon-like loan with a big dollar buyout clause and a one-way option. He gets the MLS money, we get a shot to buy him on the buyout clause but a bigger club is unhindered if they want him, too. That probably makes it more short-term loan than purchase, but he gets the better wage packet, probably substantially, until someone buys out his deal.
    I don’t get why TFC would or should do this. This guy could show up and be gone in three months if we did that. I guess I might do it at the end of the summer window, if we were a contender.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    I don’t get why TFC would or should do this. This guy could show up and be gone in three months if we did that. I guess I might do it at the end of the summer window, if we were a contender.
    ... Because it's literally the only way we get him here.

I highly doubt the way the last couple of seasons have been, transfer wise, that Ali Curtis is going to get authorization to spend more on Borre than we did on Pozuelo. But that's what it would take, and even then we'd only get two years and a one-way option.

Sure, if he's great for us it turns into a short-term rental. But it's on a free window, so it costs us nothing but salary.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    ... Because it's literally the only way we get him here.

I highly doubt the way the last couple of seasons have been, transfer wise, that Ali Curtis is going to get authorization to spend more on Borre than we did on Pozuelo. But that's what it would take, and even then we'd only get two years and a one-way option.

Sure, if he's great for us it turns into a short-term rental. But it's on a free window, so it costs us nothing but salary.
    So lets bank on the current roster to be healthy for a little bit (5 or 6 games), grow the youth but at least get one more solid defender.... leaving that to chance is too risky. Unless Dunn has improved that much... after CCL, there really isn’t any urgency.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    So lets bank on the current roster to be healthy for a little bit (5 or 6 games), grow the youth but at least get one more solid defender.... leaving that to chance is too risky. Unless Dunn has improved that much... after CCL, there really isn’t any urgency.
    That feels like i have rolled over so badly on no signings.... oh no, they have lulled me to acceptance and sleep .... must resist.