Page 57 of 71 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 2112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ensco View Post
    ^No argument re younger players. Brenner is an interesting extension into 22-23 year olds (which is what he will be when his next move should happen)

The question is whether MLS can get a talented 25 year old a quality look at say, 27 or 28 years old, on the back of big numbers in this league, with a bigger club in Europe. Not much evidence of that.

On the list of questions I have about this supposed move, this is actually about fourth.
    Very few players will sell even from smaller top 5 league clubs to the big boys once they get into their mid twenties. If he want to go to a top team in a top five league this is his last chance.

If they are not knocking down his door now they won't in a year, even if he goes to Celta Vigo and scores 15. I think the likelihood of anyone scoring much more than that for table fodder in a top five league is dreams. Those teams okay too much negative soccer to highlight great attackers.

If we are his best chance at European money he will come here regardless if reputation. In the end the dollars will decide.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    In the end the dollars will decide.
    This... but when I weigh the angles, I think ensco is right. We don't have enough need.

I think it's easy, with Achara and Ayo having already shown a lot, to forget that Peruzza is a genuine talent. I think he could score 15 a year in MLS for a song. Routinely.

Behind him we've had Jakheel as a midfielder but Europeans are projecting him to be signed away as a future striker because of his finishing and speed.

If Ayo recovers relatively soon then even if Archara doesn't make it back, we'd probably still be well-served by Altidore
    Ayo
    Perrua
    Rutty.

I think Jordan will get a lot of playing time this year and really surprise people.

So, to see a guy as tight as Curtis has been traditionally, and Mitchell, spring a DP for a position where we may have four effective players already.... seems unlikely.

More likely we'd sign a DP winger/Inside forward like Hoilett. Armas can talk up Shaff all he wants but he's still a developing youth player with a lot to learn, effectively. We've seen that. He has the speed and technical ability but he's all one gear, all vertical, married to the touchline. And his decisions aren't there yet, or weren't last year .

We need another good, fast wide player, and a good, fast wingback. And a central defender who can push our starters and provide reliable backup.

Striker and central mid are our two least vulnerable areas, really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Altidore
    Ayo
    Perrua
    Rutty.
    Based on injury history and relative youth, this could just as easily be interpreted as 4 question marks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You people have already forgot the man who will be playing big minutes in the CCL in a couple weeks? Shame on each and every one of you talking about strikers and not mentioning the legend.

Mullinho >>> All the rest.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bought with blo View Post
    Very few players will sell even from smaller top 5 league clubs to the big boys once they get into their mid twenties. If he want to go to a top team in a top five league this is his last chance.

If they are not knocking down his door now they won't in a year, even if he goes to Celta Vigo and scores 15. I think the likelihood of anyone scoring much more than that for table fodder in a top five league is dreams. Those teams okay too much negative soccer to highlight great attackers.

If we are his best chance at European money he will come here regardless if reputation. In the end the dollars will decide.
    You don’t need to look to the big boys. Vardy at Leicester and Ilicic at Fiorentina are models for how his career might evolve in Europe. But only if he can get a decent slot over there somewhere
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Based on injury history and relative youth, this could just as easily be interpreted as 4 question marks.
    Somewhat frighteningly, not only is this true, they also could combine for a shit-ton of goals. The three older players are all stone cold finishers.

That's why I think he'll roll the dice on seeing what we can do with what we have. If two of them went down long term... I dunno, even then they might not, with Mullins a semi-capable backup. I mean, he can finish if given a chance, even if he won't create much, and he can play defense.

So... yeah, we're pretty covered but Jozy's winding down and Ayo's injured. Achara is taking so long to rehab I'm not sure if he'll come back, so I didn't even include him. That's six people who can fill that role, seven with the kid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I guess with Manning's comments that a DP + one smaller move were to come, TFC aren't going to take advantage of the U22 initiative this season?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Literally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Areathrasher View Post
    So I guess with Manning's comments that a DP + one smaller move were to come, TFC aren't going to take advantage of the U22 initiative this season?
    I don't see much of a reason why they would go rhis route this season. The type of 22 year olds that could come in are question marks - almost no time to prepare for this. It's one thing to say we will have money to spend on young players, but that is where the competition with Europe is really strong and I don't trust TFC has the pre-existing scouting network to take advantage. You need to hit on a young player who is already good enough to play in the league and that is hard to do. IMO much better to focus on an actual DP that you know will enhance the team and plan for some other options once you replace Jozy and have watched young players actually play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    I don't see much of a reason why they would go rhis route this season. The type of 22 year olds that could come in are question marks - almost no time to prepare for this. It's one thing to say we will have money to spend on young players, but that is where the competition with Europe is really strong and I don't trust TFC has the pre-existing scouting network to take advantage. You need to hit on a young player who is already good enough to play in the league and that is hard to do. IMO much better to focus on an actual DP that you know will enhance the team and plan for some other options once you replace Jozy and have watched young players actually play.
    I mean in the extremely fictitious world where Jozy leaves and Borre comes, then U-22 would be the best option for us without a doubt

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me, the U22 rule is designed to give low level spenders an option to compete with bigger spenders. Its not really a risk for the Vancouver's to go that route - if a U22 doesn't work out, its not like they would have spent big on the DP anyways.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    I mean in the extremely fictitious world where Jozy leaves and Borre comes, then U-22 would be the best option for us without a doubt
    I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but to be clear I'm saying use the young money dp spot when Jozy leaves at the end of his contract which presumably will give them time to scout the youth player they actually want. IMO the signing of a new DP and Jozy leaving are not connected whether it's Borré or anyone else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hearing Curtis’comments re: wanting a DP who will be part of the future is confirmation enough that the Borre ship had sailed. The rumored offer was a 3 year deal - that’s not the kind of term you give to a cornerstone piece. You look at Pozo, Bradley, Gio and Altidore and these were 4-5 year deals.

Clearly we are looking elsewhere.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Smokecell View Post
    Hearing Curtis’comments re: wanting a DP who will be part of the future is confirmation enough that the Borre ship had sailed. The rumored offer was a 3 year deal - that’s not the kind of term you give to a cornerstone piece. You look at Pozo, Bradley, Gio and Altidore and these were 4-5 year deals.

Clearly we are looking elsewhere.
    I read somewhere that we lowered it to 3 years and $15M as he was more interested in shorter term. Our original was 4 years at $4.1M to $4.3M per season. They said that's one of the reasons he rejected Plamieras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    I read somewhere that we lowered it to 3 years and $15M as he was more interested in shorter term. Our original was 4 years at $4.1M to $4.3M per season. They said that's one of the reasons he rejected Plamieras.
    I also remember the 4 year offer, sounded like 4/near $20M... but who knows. I'm not set on Borré. I do think he absolutely fits the idea of a long term peice. He's 25 and a scoring machine. If he moves to Europe on the back of a prolific run at TFC, thats a good problem to have. If it's not him, my hope is that they can find someone to make more of an impact than Piatti. Pozuelo was MVP with very little to work with. If we had another player of his quality who could stay in the pitch, his production would be even higher.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The suggestion of Cristian Tello earlier in this thread was interesting. He was one player I thought we might sign before it was revealed to be Piatti. He's 29 and would probably interested in one last big contract. Would require a tranfer fee though, his contract ends in 2022.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Presser today with Armas - should be some video dropping on the team's site tonight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RealG-TFC View Post
    The suggestion of Cristian Tello earlier in this thread was interesting. He was one player I thought we might sign before it was revealed to be Piatti. He's 29 and would probably interested in one last big contract. Would require a tranfer fee though, his contract ends in 2022.
    That's the guy from Betis, right? He's good, but not a striker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The longer this goes on the more I think we may actually not sign anyone new until we're back in Canada during a busier transfer window in the summer and instead we'll use the beginning of the season to tinker with what we currently have. Which I think would be a mistake since while the DP can wait we still have obvious shortcomings in defense and on the wings but I'm starting to think that's how the braintrust sees it during a season that'll probably be spent in a Florida hotel until June

Behind him we've had Jakheel as a midfielder but Europeans are projecting him to be signed away as a future striker because of his finishing and speed.
    Interesting, haven't heard of that before. What's the source on that?

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    Presser today with Armas - should be some video dropping on the team's site tonight.
    Its posted on the website as of now along with one with Michael Bradley.

Remember The Man, The Legend, The Goal 5-12-07 and All That #9 Left On The Pitch, Thanks For The Memories !!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    Interesting, haven't heard of that before. What's the source on that?
    I did some quick Googling and came across this article that referred to him as a striker. They also referred to him as a winger a few paragraphs down. https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14171...arshall-rutty/

I don't really see him as a solo striker given his size, but probably fits in better in a front 2 or 3.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Red CB Toronto View Post
    Its posted on the website as of now along with one with Michael Bradley.

Yup

Armas - 24 minutes https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2021/0...?autoplay=true

Bradley - 15 minutes https://www.torontofc.ca/post/2021/0...?autoplay=true

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DavemTFC View Post
    The longer this goes on the more I think we may actually not sign anyone new until we're back in Canada...
    An article on the league site today noted there have only been three DPs signed league wide this offseason.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are screwed for years because of this pandemic. This is an acute problem for the Raps but also applies to Canadian MLS teams (somewhat).

This will linger in all our memories for years, the possibility of it will haunt us for a long time.

Free agents or player with choices will be that much less likely to want to come here (vs US teams) given the possibility of being “trapped” here and/or facing the nomadic situation of Canadian teams in future lockdowns.

I am certain it was a big part of Vanney's decision to leave.
    “What the world needs is more geniuses with humility; there are so few of us left.”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    If Bradley has the legs to play two ways I kind of agree with this approach; he was really lethal in Holland as a trailing number 8 type player. he may not be as fast but he can still hold up the ball and distribute. The dude scored 18 goals in a tougher league than this one, but he hasn't been used that way in years.

Interesting. Given how much less time that kind of player spends on the ball than a true defensive midfielder, maybe it's actually timely.

Edit: Positive words on Peruzza, too.
    Last edited by jloome; 03-22-2021 at 09:19 PM.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If Bradley has the legs to play two ways I kind of agree with this approach; he was really lethal in Holland as a trailing number 8 type player. he may not be as fast but he can still hold up the ball and distribute. The dude scored 18 goals in a tougher league than this one, but he hasn't been used that way in years.

Interesting. Given how much less time that kind of player spends on the ball than a true defensive midfielder, maybe it's actually timely.
    I suspect Bradley is going to play more of a CAM on offence, because I just don't think Bradley has the legs to play a box to box mid anymore. And playing Bradley at CAM stops him from dropping back too deep to collect the ball from the defenders. Supposedly Pozuelo is going to be more of a second striker a la Giovinco?

Bradley playing CAM has been tried by Klinsmann with USMNT before. Wasn't a pretty experiment. Bradley needs too much time to release an accurate pass IMO. I suspect if Bradley at CAM is a thing, Pozuelo will drop back a little more to create space for Bradley when Bradley has the ball.

But one interesting possibility is that Bradley as CAM on defence plays the hound that goes after opposition DMs. A lot of MLS teams play with DMs that's also a deep playmaker and/or the player that starts the offence. Bradley as CAM pressuring opposition DM fits into Armas philosophy of high pressure at earliest opportunity. And something I believe Tyler Adams formerly of NYRB did to Bradley in a playoff game what feels like a long time ago now.
    Last edited by Yohan; 03-22-2021 at 09:28 PM.
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    I suspect Bradley is going to play more of a CAM on offence, because I just don't think Bradley has the legs to play a box to box mid anymore. And playing Bradley at CAM stops him from dropping back too deep to collect the ball from the defenders. Supposedly Pozuelo is going to be more of a second striker a la Giovinco?

Bradley playing CAM has been tried by Klinsmann with USMNT before. Wasn't a pretty experiment. Bradley needs too much time to release an accurate pass IMO. I suspect if Bradley at CAM is a thing, Pozuelo will drop back a little more to create space for Bradley when Bradley has the ball.

But one interesting possibility is that Bradley as CAM on defence plays the hound that goes after opposition DMs. A lot of MLS teams play with DMs that's also a deep playmaker and/or the player that starts the offence. Bradley as CAM pressuring opposition DM fits into Armas philosophy of high pressure at earliest opportunity. And something I believe Tyler Adams formerly of NYRB did to Bradley in a playoff game what feels like a long time ago now.
    To me this is weird. Take Pozuelo out of his best position, make him play out of position for Bradley? Even setting thay aside, If we're playing a CAM that isn't Pozuelo for me it has to be Oso. Feels a lot like we're moving from a coach that couldn't sub Bradley off to a coach who is going to go one further. Poz is the MVP, don't overthink it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post

Bradley played CAM behind Jozy and Seba in the diamond in 2015 and was much better for it imo. The USMNT wanted him to play typical #10 and we played him as more of a destroyer. I think it could work and I cited the Tyler Adams example earlier in the thread as an example.

Playing Bradley at CAM could also give Pozuelo the freedom to float around the pitch at will, which might be the main appeal.
    Last edited by portu; 03-23-2021 at 12:31 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaceyWinger View Post
    To me this is weird. Take Pozuelo out of his best position, make him play out of position for Bradley? Even setting thay aside, If we're playing a CAM that isn't Pozuelo for me it has to be Oso. Feels a lot like we're moving from a coach that couldn't sub Bradley off to a coach who is going to go one further. Poz is the MVP, don't overthink it.
    To me Osorio proved he is the player to take over Bradley's position guarding the back four plus he works well with Delgado back there and they'll be important with the press. Fresh legs and 90 minute intensity is a must and they can do it, not sure Bradley can anymore. Also Armas mentioned using Pozuelo more like Giovinco when he was with Jozy in an earlier interview as well as using Bradley as a forward destroyer. Seems to make sense as it will give Poz more freedom and should give him better looks at goal and it should also allow Bradley to do more for us while doing less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    To me Osorio proved he is the player to take over Bradley's position guarding the back four plus he works well with Delgado back there and they'll be important with the press. Fresh legs and 90 minute intensity is a must and they can do it, not sure Bradley can anymore. Also Armas mentioned using Pozuelo more like Giovinco when he was with Jozy in an earlier interview as well as using Bradley as a forward destroyer. Seems to make sense as it will give Poz more freedom and should give him better looks at goal and it should also allow Bradley to do more for us while doing less.
    I'm for it if it works.. but I still think it rests on the assumption that Bradley in 2021 can do what he did in 2015, and that the solution is not just to play Bradley less when his legs can't handle it. We have young CM, CDM who can run for days, young wingers who can run for days, and a #10 who prefers that position, and is the best in the league. It feels like we're once again trying to bend the team to Bradley, when the rational solution may be to bend Bradley to the team.

I am totally ok with being wrong on this but think Delgado, Osorio as CDMs (Osorio drifting forward) with Pozuelo as the CAM is the ideal midfield 3.