Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 2112
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    No real evidence of that. However, there's a portion of fans who haven't been on-board, even when we won the Cup.
    Just speculation on my part.

Sometimes coaches have a shelf life. Keeping people’s attention in a high performance setting over the long run is never easy.

Personally, I found Vanney’s tactics nice to watch (other than the late game bunkering). It was just frustrating that we lacked some pieces of the puzzle, like a dominant winger.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Personally, I found Vanney’s tactics nice to watch (other than the late game bunkering). It was just frustrating that we lacked some pieces of the puzzle, like a dominant winger.
    Another thing to watch. Armas was saying Gallardo had been excellent in camp. If he gets him playing at the level he was said to be when we signed him then it will say a lot.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    Another thing to watch. Armas was saying Gallardo had been excellent in camp. If he gets him playing at the level he was said to be when we signed him then it will say a lot.
    well I'm hoping that Gallardo pans out, and he might just be one of those players that only fits certain systems, and Armas's system is one of those

At least Gallardo hasn't said a peep about his playing time. Probably because he can't speak English lol. And if he bitched too hard, he might have to go back to Venezuela yikes
    “Years have gone by and I’ve finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.

I go about the world, hand outstretched, and in the stadiums I plead: ‘A pretty move, for the love of God.’

And when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don’t give a damn which team or country performs it.”

-Eduardo Galeano

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    well I'm hoping that Gallardo pans out, and he might just be one of those players that only fits certain systems, and Armas's system is one of those

At least Gallardo hasn't said a peep about his playing time. Probably because he can't speak English lol. And if he bitched too hard, he might have to go back to Venezuela yikes
    Gallardo seems like an incredibly hard worker. His posts on Instagram are at least a testament to that. Comments that Vanney made also suggested he was quite humble. Really hoping it works out for him with TFC, but if it doesn't I don't think that's because of a lack of effort on his part.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seeing VV sign for LA makes me skin crawl.

Our GM, sadly, doesn't appear to be quick on the draw.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be dismissive, but the last few months of watching Vazquez play reminded me of Andre Pirlo (the MLS version, not the good one).

I’m okay with the fact we moved on.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VV offerred himself last year - we were not interested.

Vanney is rebuilding that team's mentality from scratch. LAG's been a hollowed out shell as far as teamwork is concerned for years - that's a Bruce Arena thing - works if you have great players and pluggers who know their roles.

VV fits that rebuild - he doesn't fit ours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Also, does anyone know if TFC received some additional GAM/TAM from entering the CCL? I remember that previously being a thing.
    Ddidnt we use that to acquire GVdW? I think it was Special League Acquisition Money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think VV was our most important player in our key season, even above Gio, and is possibly the third best player (Behind Gio and Poz) I've seen in our shirt

But I'm still fine with passing on him this time around

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Ddidnt we use that to acquire GVdW? I think it was Special League Acquisition Money.
    We just qualified for CCL last week though so should be new money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think with the high buy in from senior roster players we can infer that they appreciate a change in tactics.

Now we'll see if it was Vanney who was responsible for our plodding pace in possession or if it was the players who just didn't follow his game plan. He always said he wanted to move faster on the ball so we'll see what's up soon I guess.
    I assume you mean this but he wanted the ball to move faster. Which is quite different.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    Just speculation on my part.

Sometimes coaches have a shelf life. Keeping people’s attention in a high performance setting over the long run is never easy.

i agree. He won us a cup and we dominated another and would have won the third if he had brought on Jozy at the half (he was strange with Subs sometimes) but it will be interesting to see a new style for us, and quite possibly for the players. Just not in our first game...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just qualified for CCL last week though so should be new money.
    Yes, sorry. I meant that pot of money that we used to acquire GVdW - was it called SLAM - if it still exists we would get it again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post

Vanney is rebuilding that team's mentality from scratch. LAG's been a hollowed out shell as far as teamwork is concerned for years - that's a Bruce Arena thing - works if you have great players and pluggers who know their roles.
    VV fits that rebuild - he doesn't fit ours.
    You are probably right. Still dont like it. Like when Lafleur played for the Nordiques, and I am not even a Habs fan

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Yes, sorry. I meant that pot of money that we used to acquire GVdW - was it called SLAM - if it still exists we would get it again
    Who knows? If a team like the Galaxy or Miami need it then it will be available for sure. There's never a clear cut list of all the MLS-isms that are currently active or even exist.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who knows? If a team like the Galaxy or Miami need it then it will be available for sure. There's never a clear cut list of all the MLS-isms that are currently active or even exist.
    Just an FYI

Miami is not getting a single break from the league for a good long time - MLS themselves told the world they are investigating Miami for not following the rules to get Matuidi. The owners can't stand that Beckham is getting a team on the cheap & the shenanigans that went on to get an arena + there is a lot of people ticked off at Maimi's mid 00's retirement league approach - like Ryan Shawcross said he was about to retire before he got the call to his agent.

Edit: And they just picked up a 31 year old LB in Kieran Gibbs. He'd gonna get pasted by anybody with speed around him.
    Last edited by OgtheDim; 03-17-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an FYI

Miami is not getting a single break from the league for a good long time - MLS themselves told the world they are investigating Miami for not following the rules to get Matuidi. The owners can't stand that Beckham is getting a team on the cheap & the shenanigans that went on to get an arena + there is a lot of people ticked off at Maimi's mid 00's retirement league approach - like Ryan Shawcross said he was about to retire before he got the call to his agent.

Edit: And they just picked up a 31 year old LB in Kieran Gibbs. He'd gonna get pasted by anybody with speed around him.
    Gibbs might make sense as a ball playing LCB in a league that is far less tactical about their pressing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Piatti on as sub for Elche v. Sevilla.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends where Gibbs head is at, he has the ability, if he comes here with the intention to succeed, he can do well. Shawcross is a huge gamble for me. He's barely played for 2 seasons. That physical, aggressive style of play he indulged in has caught up with him. In last few yrs alone, he's had prolonged spells out due to back injuries, broken fibula, groin injury, calf. The fact he's not that old at 33, and he never relied on pace anyway, speaks volumes that he openly admitted he was heading towards retirement. Strange move, he'll still want to play his aggressive natural game, but don't see his body holding up to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we lost our PR guy,who ever he was,i didnt know we had one,apparently curtis with his shiny well deserved new contract will take over that department,so we can expect all kinds of info out of the club real soon

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just an FYI

Miami is not getting a single break from the league for a good long time - MLS themselves told the world they are investigating Miami for not following the rules to get Matuidi.
    I know but part of me still thinks this is a scam by Beckham & MLS to let him terminate that contract with no strings so he can get another old English guy or even Ronaldo as DP (at some point).

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VV will always be an iconic TFC player for what he did in 2017.

but frankly, he was injured more often than not in 2018, and 3 years on from that you can only see his legs going one way.

would have been disappointed had we signed him this time around.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's not that we weren't interested, we were too far down the Allocation list. We were 25th. The price to trade up was probably way too high.
    Last year, LAFC traded 350k in GAM and a 2nd round pick to move from 24th to 1st on the Allocation list (and apparently never used the spot). So it would've cost us at least that. Is VV worth 350k GAM at this point. With some of our salaries like Omar, Mavinga, Ciman, we might not even have had the GAM available to trade.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.espn.com.br/futebol/arti...-veja-detalhes (In Portuguese, ESPN Brazil)

Palmeiras resumes conversations with Santo Borré in Argentina and has optimism for success: see details

"I won't wait long. When I proposed to my wife, it didn't take her two months to respond. Therefore, there are decisions we have to make," he told UOL Esporte."

the only thing that sounds even positive for us is

"
    According to sources, the conversations with Palmeiras are well underway, but it is also known that the player's relay hears proposals from other clubs and that Borré will not accept to leave without Verdão (or any other interested party) paying some financial compensation to River."

TFC
    isn't even mentioned maybe we are the other interested party and because it is Brazil. We don't exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    we lost our PR guy,who ever he was,i didnt know we had one,apparently curtis with his shiny well deserved new contract will take over that department,so we can expect all kinds of info out of the club real soon
    Lots of things to not like about what Ali and Manning are doing, but it seems like the communications manager is leaving by his own choice. According to Buffery, he's pursuing other opportunities. https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...-vanney-in-l-a

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    Lots of things to not like about what Ali and Manning are doing, but it seems like the communications manager is leaving by his own choice. According to Buffery, he's pursuing other opportunities. https://torontosun.com/sports/soccer...-vanney-in-l-a
    i was jus being sarcastic,jus bored ,good luck to him,and curtis with the same quotes,seriously i cant take this crap from him anymore i know covid has been hard on the players,he has said it 50 times,covid has been hard on me and most of us.jus shut up and talk about who is going to be your LB.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post
    According to Buffery, he's pursuing other opportunities.
    Really? What was he doing for the last decade?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Really? What was he doing for the last decade?
    According to LinkedIn Mike Masaro (communications manager) was doing the following:
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Strategic Communications Planning- developing the department’s strategic direction and goals[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Written Communications - writing all of the club’s press releases, key club communications and senior management letter responses[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Event Management and Day-to-Day Operations -media accreditation, game notes, line-ups, press box management, photographer and broadcast management, post game press conferences and player media availability[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Relationship Building- building and maintaining relationships with the media and other key stakeholders[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Budget Management- managing Toronto FC Media Relations budget[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Messaging- developing key speaking points, drafting Q & A for public and media response[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Organizing News Conferences- major announcements, game day press conferences[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Media Requests- managed all media requests on game day, training and non-game day[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Team Spokesperson- serving as team spokesman and providing comment to the media[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.9)]• Media and Social Media Training for players/coaches/senior staff - key messaging for interviews[/COLOR]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When it comes to this leadership I think we’re just going to have to endure for a bit. I strongly believe we’re poised to flop in a big way this season. If we do then hopefully that triggers some sort of change or impetus in senior management. I’d rather we finish dead last than sneak into a playoff spot. That’s how badly I think we need a shock to the system right now.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put them on a news alert... we have crickets, but Brazil is going crazy the past two hours...
    Borré conversations cool down; Palmeiras thinks about responsibility for a healthy year
    Afraid of the unstable financial scenario and insecurities with the pandemic, the club decides to back down. [Could be hardball negotiations]