0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*stares longingly at rollerblades*

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bayern is interested in TFC’s 16 year old winger Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, they’re looking to make a move for when he turns 18 in June 2022. Manchester United, Manchester City, Juventus, and Porto are all said to be interested also. [Spox] #CANMNT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kuku View Post
    Bayern is interested in TFC’s 16 year old winger Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, they’re looking to make a move for when he turns 18 in June 2022. Manchester United, Manchester City, Juventus, and Porto are all said to be interested also. [Spox] #CANMNT
    Nice. I'm sure we'd all love to see him playing with Phonzie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Priso wants to play one season and leave. JMR looks like he is gonna get big teams after him when he turns 18. I know it is good for TFC to sell these players and whatever, but it feels so disheartening that these guys might only be here for a year or so.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeForbes View Post
    Priso wants to play one season and leave. JMR looks like he is gonna get big teams after him when he turns 18. I know it is good for TFC to sell these players and whatever, but it feels so disheartening that these guys might only be here for a year or so.
    It sucks when you get a player like him or Priso but it will attract more talent to our academy and also improve the overall level of the other grads. It will pay off but it will still feel kind of shit especially if the players keep going to teams I hate like all the ones listed interested in JMR.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ and here in lies the problem with youth development. At best, we’ll see some promising play only to have to watch our best prospects fulfil their full potential elsewhere.

There are teams that develop players in MLS and there are teams that win trophies. Vary rarely does someone tick both boxes.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ag futbol View Post
    ^ and here in lies the problem with youth development. At best, we’ll see some promising play only to have to watch our best prospects fulfil their full potential elsewhere.

There are teams that develop players in MLS and there are teams that win trophies. Vary rarely does someone tick both boxes.
    See FC Dallas.

It's not like the kids they develop are getting sold for big money like Benfica or Porto

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This isn't really a fair statement as the teams known for being developers never spend any money and never utilize legit DPs/TAM players like Dallas for instance. You could totally do both if you're still willing to spend after the academy is proven good at development.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other problem is can these players hit their peak in MLS? Is Davies the same player if he doesn’t go to Bayern. The rapid scale of his development when he moved is crazy. Would he have done the same if he stayed another year in Vancouver?

These guys want to be the best they can and to do that they have to play at the highest level. MLS will likely never be that. There may be a few Landon Donovan’s that come through and want to stay, but if they’re really good they’re gonna want to leave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yohan View Post
    See FC Dallas.

It's not like the kids they develop are getting sold for big money like Benfica or Porto
    Well, exactly.

With the exception of 2016, which was on the back of an exemption DP (who got no credit because he played in Dallas), they are pretty meddling.

Now it’s impressive to be meddling when you field a bunch of 18-20 year olds but it’s not exactly getting you any where when you sell them all for chump change and continue to tread water in the standings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    The other problem is can these players hit their peak in MLS? Is Davies the same player if he doesn’t go to Bayern. The rapid scale of his development when he moved is crazy. Would he have done the same if he stayed another year in Vancouver?

These guys want to be the best they can and to do that they have to play at the highest level. MLS will likely never be that. There may be a few Landon Donovan’s that come through and want to stay, but if they’re really good they’re gonna want to leave.
    Bingo

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

let's be honest, every club in the world in the world apart from about 4 or 5 is a selling club at this point.

developing players, having them play a couple seasons then selling them on for huge profit is a good business model atm. can reinvest that money in the academy or the stadium, and it shows potential signings/ academy players the best thing for their future is to impress in the TFC first team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not persuaded Jahkeele is anywhere near ready for that level of team. I really like Ralph Prisio, he looked like he had been playing MLS for several seasons last year, but I was surprised to see his self evaluation. Of course confidence is a good thing....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very much seems like Borré is going to the Palm Trees. That dream is likely dead. Onto a cheaper, less ambitious option.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post

Davies was already one of the best players at 17 years old playing major minutes in the MLS . The thing about Davies is he was already doing things playing in a decent league against grown seasoned professionals and having a major impact. Therefore , it’s no surprise that he went to Bayern and has continued to do well. He is doing well because the kid is a natural simple as that. Yes now playing against the best in the world is going to make him that much better but this kid unless you were blind you knew he was special already from the way he was playing at such a young age in the MLS. Sometimes it’s not a bad idea to prove yourself in a league like the MLS and then go over . Not all young players are going to be able to just go over there and do what Davies has done . Prove yourself in the MLS first and then go over . Davies actually did just that , he was a star in the MLS for the few years he played in the league.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.ole.com.ar/river-plate/p...pSWif.amp.html

Palmeiras have apparently offered him ~$3M/year over 5 years. TFC can certainly top this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by noxx98 View Post

Palmeiras have apparently offered him ~$3M/year over 5 years. TFC can certainly top this.
    Yeah, but they can probably sign Hoilett for 2 million per year and please the part of the fanbase who cares more about passports and less about winning.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but they can probably sign Hoilett for 2 million per year and please the part of the fanbase who cares more about passports and less about winning.

I'm not sure Manning & co give a flying eff about the "we need to get all the Canadians" part of the fanbase - that is, essentially, some people involved in Waking the Red and maybe 3 others.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    I'm not sure Manning & co give a flying eff about the "we need to get all the Canadians" part of the fanbase - that is, essentially, some people involved in Waking the Red and maybe 3 others.
    Oh there's more than that. Go back and read some of the Vanney not starting Fraser threads. They're in here too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha. You are probably right. The 'we should be FC Dallas' crowd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s back off this. I am no Curtis fan, but I highly doubt Hoilett is anything but a TAM player if he comes here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let’s back off this. I am no Curtis fan, but I highly doubt Hoilett is anything but a TAM player if he comes here.
    I hope so. I just find myself becoming more and more pessimistic with regards to Ali's ability to navigate the transfer market. I feel like the pandemic play is going to be sign Hoilett as a DP for a year and try again next season.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    This isn't really a fair statement as the teams known for being developers never spend any money and never utilize legit DPs/TAM players like Dallas for instance. You could totally do both if you're still willing to spend after the academy is proven good at development.
    I agree that exists globally but, to my point, where is the example of the MLS team that’s doing this?

Because of the reputation of our league, prospects are, in general, being sold VERY early in their life cycle cause clubs would rather develop a raw prospect themselves than trust MLS to refine the product.

Dallas does spend on DP’s btw. One past one in particular (name escapes me) would have been an MVP candidate had they played in any other market.

I think São Paulo is the club we need to worry about, if their rumoured interest is true. If memory serves, they are one of the biggest spenders on Brazil and getting close to our rumoured $4 million a season pay packet, is not out of question.
    Last edited by ag futbol; 02-25-2021 at 01:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, doesn't half the Canadian fanbase hate Junior Hoilett? Maybe more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, I mispoke - Vocal Minority are the overt "play all the Canadians" - not Waking the Red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe Vocal Minority has KJ on their podcast whenever they release it. I assume it is just gonna be an hour of questions about Liam Fraser and why Real Madrid should be interested in him to replace Casemiro. But, if someone wants to listen and find out if KJ has any interesting info, that would be appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think São Paulo is the club we need to worry about, if their rumoured interest is true. If memory serves, they are one of the biggest spenders on Brazil and getting close to our rumoured $4 million a season pay packet, is not out of question.
    Based on Transfermarkt, Palmeiras's roster is valued at around $120M to Sao Paul's $60M. Palmeiras has also spent more on transfers the past few years. Either way, they're each big clubs and can afford this.

For contrast, TFC's roster is valued $45M, with a third of that coming from Poz

https://www.transfermarkt.us/sao-pau...id/2020/plus/1
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/se-palm...te/verein/1023
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/toronto...id/2020/plus/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He'd be very effective in our league. Not Seba effective, but effective.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. He gets talked about like he's trash. I don't think he is DP level at all but for a decent price he would be fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on Transfermarkt, Palmeiras's roster is valued at around $120M to Sao Paul's $60M. Palmeiras has also spent more on transfers the past few years. Either way, they're each big clubs and can afford this.

For contrast, TFC's roster is valued $45M, with a third of that coming from Poz

https://www.transfermarkt.us/sao-pau...id/2020/plus/1
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/se-palm...te/verein/1023
    https://www.transfermarkt.us/toronto...id/2020/plus/1
    Just to be clear (and you may have alluded to it by mentioning spending) value isn't the same as the spending budget. Our value is low as a direct result of having to fill out a roster with NCAA guys instead of finding actually good players for every spot. From what I can gather in 2020 Palmieras' top player earned a little over $4M usd. They have a decent budget and can spend more throughout their roster but if the highest bid wins the player you have to think TFC have a legitimate advantage. Nothing in our recent history tells me we are shy about spending on the top end of the roster.