Page 64 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,920 of 2112
    RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Gremio was going to pay more money then TFC for the transfer but Borre is not interested still because he wants to wait until the summer when he thinks he can go back to Europe.

Wondering if there is another story in the Gremio tale, like "yes we will pay you...eventually".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BritSOL View Post
    If you ever go back to England, even to visit, you’ll be shocked how much you feel like a Canadian.
    Maybe. I watch mostly British TV, read mostly British news, have for a year or so. I'm at an age where all of my childhood memories are stuff middle-aged comedians there are talking about.

I got to Canada just late enough, my teens, that I've never shared cultural milestones with people here my own age. And my parents really never stopped being very English.

I've NEVER felt like a Canadian, so I doubt I'd start from culture shock. It really hasn't changed there much at all, as far as I can tell. In fact, it's one of the things I like about it. People on TV still make off-color and bigoted/prejudiced/sexist jokes, but pretty much equally because they know the difference between material that's genuinely intended to offend and what isn't. It's inherently less sensitive, more cynical.

But there's also a distinct interest in broader cultural matter, in less pop culture for its own sake and more for tradition or pure cultural advancement. It's an older culture. If you're a gung ho, get-up-and-compete, get-along-to-get-along type you'd hate it. But ... I'm not. I'm autistic, so pretty stoic, and a nihilist realist in terms of human behavior. They still have book stores, and newspapers with staff, and a healthy (albeit starting to suffer from a thousand cuts) public broadcaster. Like a lot of their European neighbors they have legislated, at least somewhat, against the worst impacts of the internet on data gathering and privacy protection.

Don't get me wrong, I get that Canada has just as much to offer and more in its own beneficial areas; I just don't feel Canadian. I like that at least one of the nations of which I'm a citizen still has its own unique culture, unsmothered by American pop culture, some of which is great but most of which is generally shit. Yeah, Wimpy's pretty much dead and McDonald's is everywhere, but they still have their own approaches to drama, comedy and music.

And.... it's geographically sane. For pure pragmatism, I can see a point a hundred years from now where regional differences have led to North America being far more segmented than it is now. That's human nature. I mean, we already have a neighbor that is essentially 50% in favor of theocratic governance and 50% technocracy, which just seems bound to fail.

A lot of it is just that I've had a difficult life, dude, and the only time it wasn't was there. Now that I'm back to a point of being basically sane and having shed a lot of that shit, I sort of feel like revisting that. YOu can't go home again, because change means it's never there. But that doesn't alter that I've never really felt at home here, after nearly forty years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Ahem...
    Oldtimer, as things have turned out, this entire thread is off topic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jloome View Post
    Haven't been back to England since 1983. Might move back if the opportunity presents. I'm not very Canadian in terms of personality.
    We luv ya here JLoome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    We luv ya here JLoome
    Appreciated Mighty one. Hey, I'd still support TFC. I'm antisocial enough generally that getting stick for it would be minimal. Plus, I can lie liberally and tell them how many diamonds in the rough I personally discovered. "Daryl Dike? Alphonso Davies? Mates from the old days. Still, the scouting business is a young man's game."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a more TFC topic, has anyone seen Julian Dunn play recently. Has his anticipation and speed improved? In his few first team (one?) appearances he was clearly too young and not ready at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OgtheDim View Post
    So Gremio was going to pay more money then TFC for the transfer but Borre is not interested still because he wants to wait until the summer when he thinks he can go back to Europe.

Wondering if there is another story in the Gremio tale, like "yes we will pay you...eventually".
    Gremio never made sense to me. Why go from a prestige club in Argentina to a middling one in Brazil?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a more TFC topic, has anyone seen Julian Dunn play recently. Has his anticipation and speed improved? In his few first team (one?) appearances he was clearly too young and not ready at all.
    I haven’t seen him play in ages. As you probably know, he allegedly did really well in the CPL but IMO the level of the league is just not there as yet.

Very few cases of players transitioning to MLS so far. Joel Waterman has been alright as a backup quality CB for Montreal but otherwise...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a highlight video of Julian Dunn in the CPL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHf_f4vru6U

I thought he looked good (from those highlights). His passing and ability to play out of the back looked good and he had a few good trackbacks.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno... In the past 10 days Atiba Hutchinson has allegedly recommended three different Canadian players to Besiktas.

Could Richie play in Europe? Absolutely, in my opinion. But these rumours feel a little half baked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richie would look good for Besiktas. They've done a good job with Larin, potential to loan him out to another league if he can't get playing time with the main team.

I can imagine Richie maybe wanting to stay with TFC though. There's an advantage in comfort and this is the place where he started getting minutes after getting mismanaged by Orlando.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Long overdue for one of the best players on this team in the last two years. Always figured he would end up mid table in Germany or France or something though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MightyDM View Post
    Gremio never made sense to me. Why go from a prestige club in Argentina to a middling one in Brazil?
    Grêmio is a big club in fact. They have 3 Libertadores, only 1 less than River Plate, and lately they been going far every year in Libertadores (they won in 2017).

And I doubt there was a catch in Gremio's offer. The problem is that Borré really wants to go to Europe, which he has all the right to prefer and do so, but he could've said this in the first place instead of making Palmeiras and Gremio go after him for weeks to get nothing.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by portu View Post
    Long overdue for one of the best players on this team in the last two years. Always figured he would end up mid table in Germany or France or something though.
    Every day, this starts to feel more and more like a re-build and not a selective strategic youth and targeted TAM/DP play. I am honestly surprised that the backline hasn't been reinforced other than the Yaro tryout and as we were just saying hoping Dunn can step up.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bushmancan View Post
    Every day, this starts to feel more and more like a re-build and not a selective strategic youth and targeted TAM/DP play. I am honestly surprised that the backline hasn't been reinforced other than the Yaro tryout and as we were just saying hoping Dunn can step up.
    The supporters of almost every MLS team could say that. Nobody really making any moves and lots of teams are losing very key players like NYCFC today (apparently). This has been the quietest winter window in recent MLS history and I don't see it picking up either.

So either the owners did lose/not make the money they wanted last season or the more cynical option of league wide collusion to not spend and then bust the CBA again after the season with optics this year as opposed to last year when they spent a ton and then said they had no money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rust View Post
    Grêmio is a big club in fact. They have 3 Libertadores, only 1 less than River Plate, and lately they been going far every year in Libertadores (they won in 2017).

And I doubt there was a catch in Gremio's offer. The problem is that Borré really wants to go to Europe, which he has all the right to prefer and do so, but he could've said this in the first place instead of making Palmeiras and Gremio go after him for weeks to get nothing.
    Fair enough but certainly no bigger than River

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore/sta...25787976720387

@JozyAltidore

Taylor twellman national team career was laughable. Beasley should be that analyst or a Mia Hamm. Twellman need to be on extra time radio with Bobby warshaw. He a white boy with connects. Stop giving him a platform.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phil744 View Post
    https://twitter.com/JozyAltidore/sta...25787976720387

@JozyAltidore

Taylor twellman national team career was laughable. Beasley should be that analyst or a Mia Hamm. Twellman need to be on extra time radio with Bobby warshaw. He a white boy with connects. Stop giving him a platform.
    I really don't care what people say on the internet but he needs to go already.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL...discussing this in the non-transfer thread because this ain't getting Jozy gone by any means.

If anything, this adds to his appeal

A reminder

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW

Armas presser going on right now - probably some video tonight

&

oh look - some injuries in camp

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh look - some injuries in camp
    As of last week Osorio, Akinola, Achara, & Jozy were injured/not in game shape. Guess we'll see what's what against the Crew tomorrow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jozy calling out Twellman makes me like him even more.

RPB Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra & Proud View Post
    As of last week Osorio, Akinola, Achara, & Jozy were injured/not in game shape. Guess we'll see what's what against the Crew tomorrow.
    Start the new season like we finished it last season....great. Achara is still a piece we knew we would either get lucky with or not but also not betting the farm on or anything so hard to say if missing anything with him out. Osorio is a miss for sure and Akinola as well so I hope they can get better quick. Jozy....when is he not injured, not in game shape or carrying a knock or emotionally distressed or whatever that is keeping him on the sidelines. Pretty used to not counting on him these days. Does anyone know if anyone ever worked out what $$$ he makes per game minute played? Got to be doing quite well on that stat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

jozy injured...maybe not in game shape.no really.mullino probs gets the start weds,jezzz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by reggie View Post
    jozy injured...maybe not in game shape.no really.mullino probs gets the start weds,jezzz
    TFC winning is guaranteed now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man! When did we hear Jozy was injured? Haven't seen that anywhere (but not paying my usual level of attention this year).

EDIT: Oh yes, from the US National team camp--I remember. When was that?
    Last edited by Graeme; 03-31-2021 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Memory

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    Oh man! When did we hear Jozy was injured? Haven't seen that anywhere (but not paying my usual level of attention this year).

EDIT: Oh yes, from the US National team camp--I remember. When was that?
    End of January I think but he usually take 6 to 12 weeks to heal from anything and another 6 to 12 to get in game shape. Should be good by summer for a few matches before the Gold Cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think jozy will be gone by june,that twitter rant may be the last straw,with the Lareya,borre, jozy news. june may be the off season like no other we have been waiting for.